GUILTY - Sidney Moorer - trial for Kidnapping Heather Elvis, 9 Sept 2019 *Appeal 2022* #5

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
Sidney Moorer, accused in the disappearance of Heather Elvis will once again face a jury in September. The retrial will take place in Horry County instead of Georgetown County.

Dennis also approved a questionnaire be submitted to the jury, so long as both the prosecution and the defense agree on the questions.

A mistrial was declared in Sidney Moorer’s original 2016 kidnapping trial.

In August 2017, Moorer was sentenced to 10 years in prison after a jury found him guilty of obstruction of justice for impeding the investigation into Elvis’ disappearance.

Last year, a jury convicted Moorer’s wife, Tammy Moorer, of kidnapping Elvis. She is currently serving a 30-year prison sentence.

‘Three more months? It’ll go by fast:’ Sidney Moorer retrial set for September in Horry County

Sidney Moorer's thread from his first kidnapping trial: MISTRIAL - Sidney Moorer on trial for the kidnapping of Heather Elvis #1

HS5HYKCYN5FYDFGDUTFVYLXVPE.jpg

Retrial Thread #1 - RETRIAL - Sidney Moorer for kidnapping Heather Elvis, 9 Sept 2019

Retrial Thread #2 - RETRIAL - Sidney Moorer retrial for Kidnapping Heather Elvis, 9 Sept 2019 #2

Retrial Thread #3 - GUILTY - Sidney Moorer RETRIAL for Kidnapping Heather Elvis, 9 Sept 2019 #3

Retrial thread #4 - GUILTY - Sidney Moorer RETRIAL for Kidnapping Heather Elvis, 9 Sept 2019 #4

Last edited:
I keep hoping that as certain family members come of age they will feel a tug to get at the truth, do some investigating, and Heather will one day be found and returned to her family.

Sidney Moorer has 2 upcoming appeals hearings to overturn his Heather Elvis convictions

April 4, 2022

CONWAY — Sidney Moorer has upcoming hearings on two separate appeals of his conviction in the years long Heather Elvis disappearance case before the state’s top courts — the S.C. Supreme Court and Court of Appeals.

Moorer will appeal a 2019 kidnapping conviction where he received a 30-year prison sentence before the S.C. Court of Appeals on April 13.

He will have a hearing at the S.C. Supreme Court on May 17 to fight the Court of Appeals decision to not overturn his 2017 conviction for obstruction of justice where he received him a 10-year prison sentence.

The hearings are happening five months after his wife, Tammy Moorer, had a Court of Appeals hearing trying to reverse her 2018 conviction on a kidnapping charge. The appeals court has not issued a decision in Tammy Moorer’s case where she was sentenced to 30 years behind bars.
[.....]
If Tammy Moorer’s appeal is denied, she also could possibly appeal to the S.C. Supreme Court.

Heather's case was like no other. I'll never forget the things those two said and did on social media, then later in MSM. You just never knew what they would invent and say next, it was a special kind of evil and level of craziness, particularly with Tammy.

IMO, the Elvis family exhibited/exhibits tremendous Grace under fire. I'm sad they will likely never be able to bring Heather home. But maybe one day, they'll receive closure in the form of the truth - what really happened to Heather that night and where they took her.

Heather's case was like no other. I'll never forget the things those two said and did on social media, then later in MSM. You just never knew what they would invent and say next, it was a special kind of evil and level of craziness, particularly with Tammy.

IMO, the Elvis family exhibited/exhibits tremendous Grace under fire. I'm sad they will likely never be able to bring Heather home. But maybe one day, they'll receive closure in the form of the truth - what really happened to Heather that night and where they took her.

BBM

I think there's another one brewing that will shock us even more. (Delphi)

Wednesday, April 13th:
*Appeals Hearing (re 2013 Kidnapping) (@ 10am ET) - SC - Heather Rachelle Elvis (20) (Dec. 4, 2013, not found) - *Sidney St.Clair Moorer (38/now 47) arrested (2/23/14), charged & indicted (2/27/17) with kidnapping & indicted (4/27/18) with conspiracy to commit kidnapping. Plead not guilty. $30K Surety Bond.
Trial began on 9/9/19 with jury selection. Jury: 6 women & 6 men, with 2 alternates: 1 woman & 1 man. Trial ended 9/18/19 with guilty on both charges. Sentenced to 30 years for each count to run concurrently.
9/18/19 Update: Has one year from today to "provide substantial help on where the body is and possibly have his prison sentence reduced. Date: 9/18/20.
12/1/20: Moorer’s defense team has since submitted a petition for the South Carolina Supreme Court to review the Court of Appeals decision in the case ultimately direct a verdict of acquittal on the obstruction of justice conviction. But if the S.C. Supreme Court denies the review, it means the Court of Appeals’ decision stands.
3/10/22 Update: Two appeals hearings for Sidney Moorer & will make his case in front of the South Carolina court of appeals & the State Supreme Court. He will appeal his kidnapping conviction in the court of appeals on 4/13/22 at 10am. 4/4/22 Update: Moorer has upcoming hearings on two separate appeals of his conviction in the years long Heather Elvis disappearance case before the state’s top courts — the S.C. Supreme Court & Court of Appeals. Moorer will appeal a 2019 kidnapping conviction where he received a 30-year prison sentence before the S.C. Court of Appeals on 4/13/22. The hearings are happening five months after his wife, Tammy Moorer, had a Court of Appeals hearing trying to reverse her 2018 conviction on a kidnapping charge. The appeals court has not issued a decision in Tammy Moorer’s case where she was sentenced to 30 years behind bars. If Tammy Moorer’s appeal is denied, she also could possibly appeal to the S.C. Supreme Court.
*Tammy Lorinda Caison Moorer (41/now 46) – Trial on 10/8/18 found guilty of kidnapping & conspiracy to kidnapping. Sentenced to 30 years for each charge, to be served concurrently with time served for any time served thus far (5 yrs). Not eligible for parole.

*Sidney St. Clair Moorer (38/now 47) charged (2017) with obstruction of justice. Plead not guilty. Held without bond.
8/30/17: GUILTY of obstruction of justice for allegedly lying to investigators about phone call on night Heather went missing. Received 10 years in prison with year served.
11/27/18: Parole hearing. The board voted unanimously to keep him behind bars. Was denied parole. Following a mistrial being declared in his June, 2016 kidnapping trial that was tied to Elvis' disappearance, Moorer will face a jury again on that count. A second trial will be held in Georgetown, but a date has not yet been set. Re-trial was set for 9/19/19 & was found guilty of kidnapping & conspiracy to kidnapping. Sentenced to 30 years to run concurrently.
11/27/19: Parole hearing. DENIED! 7/1/20 Update: Appeal on obstruction of justice charge-denied. Moorer appealed his conviction of obstruction of justice for lying to law enforcement & leaving out information in the investigation into the disappearance of Heather. Moorer said the court made a mistake denying his motion for a directed verdict. The South Carolina Court of Appeals said the court did not make any mistakes in denying the motion & that Moorer was guilty of obstruction of justice based on the “substantial circumstantial evidence” provided by the state.
12/1/20 Update: Moorer recently filed a request with South Carolina’s highest court to review his obstruction of justice case. A judge sentenced him to 10 years on that charge.
4/4/22 Update: He will have a hearing at the S.C. Supreme Court on 5/17/22 to fight the Court of Appeals decision to not overturn his 2017 conviction for obstruction of justice where he received him a 10-year prison sentence.

Sidney Moorer appeal hearing before state Supreme Court begins

April 14, 2022
COLUMBIA, S.C. (WMBF) - The Myrtle Beach man convicted twice in Horry County for a high-profile 2013 kidnapping began an appeal hearing before South Carolina’s highest court Wednesday.

Sidney Moorer’s lawyer asked the state Court of Appeals on Wednesday to acquit his client, arguing the state relied on unscientific testimony and lacked direct evidence that his client committed the crime.
[......]
In the legal brief, Moorer claims that the conviction should be overturned because the court erred in reversing its decision to try the case in Georgetown County and instead transferred it back to Horry County where “social media saturation pervaded the case” and he couldn’t receive a fair trial. Documents also claim that the court erred in denying Moorer’s motion for a directed verdict.

The brief goes on to state the court made a mistake in qualifying Grant Fredericks as an expert in forensic video analysis. Fredericks testified about surveillance video showing a truck driving to and from Peachtree Landing where Elvis’ car was found.

According to the brief, Fredericks made “flawed conclusions” about seeing Moorer’s truck driving and excluded all other vehicles based on headlight patterns.

Moorer has another hearing at the state’s Supreme Court on May 17 to overturn his 2017 conviction for obstruction of justice, for which he received a 10-year prison sentence.

and another article
Heather Elvis kidnapping suspect argues over insufficient evidence before SC Appeals Court

April 13, 2022
Moorer’s lawyer, Taylor Gilliam, called Fredericks analysis unscientific, an argument that drew questions from the judges.

“Don’t you think it’s incredible that you can say that it’s that particular vehicle as opposed to that type of vehicle?” Appeals Court Judge Garrison Hill asked the prosecution.

Appeals Court Judge James Lockemy called it “an amazing leap.”

The state argued it’s similar to the use of ballistics evidence

“We have ballistics experts who testify, ‘I can tell this gun fired this bullet right here.’ And that’s accepted. And this is acceptable, too,” Senior Assistant Attorney General David Spencer responded.

The judges will have to decide whether the defense properly objected to the expert’s testimony at the time of the trial.
[.....]
Gilliam then went on to argue that the case made by the state contained no direct evidence that Elvis was actually kidnapped by the Moorers.
[.....]
The judges are expected to issue their opinion at a later date.

Moorer also has another upcoming hearing at the S.C. Supreme Court on May 17, this one to overturn his 2017 conviction for obstruction of justice in the case, for which he received a 10-year prison sentence.

more in this article ^^

Heather's dad posted this on Facebook today.

Findheatherelvis

14h ·

It has been several years since I have opened Facebook and sat pondering the words I wanted to convey, in the most peaceful way.
So, here goes, hopefully, it doesn’t ramble on too much and holds your attention till the end.
It’s now been over 7 years of pain, heartache, and a never-ending nightmare that even shop up in daylight hours too. Dreams are so vividly real that it hurts to wake up each morning. How can humans become so cold-hearted to the point they can only see one horrific way to solve their problems?
Make no mistake that I miss my daughter Heather every hour of every day and night. I’m so disappointed when the doorbell rings and it’s not Heather at the door with her beautiful smile and a never-ending barrage of questions about the world.
How can people place so little value on human life and not think twice about taking a life and crushing the lives of those people who Heather? How can the weight of what was done not crush them under the weight? I spend my days contacting anyone who might be able to shed light on the real truth of what and why it happened? Those imprisoned for kidnapping no doubt the rest of the story and could give us some closure and the ability to mourn for whatever they did with Heather.
I’m hoping that this rambling will reach the ears of someone that is serving time with either of them or knows someone who is newly sentenced to serve time in prison with either of them, hopefully, someone inside can get them to talk and if you do get good solid information that leads to Heather's recovery, the family will personally come to the prison and deposit 2000.00 in your canteen to use as you wish. This must be information leading to the recovery of Heather her phone her keys and who did what that night. So if anyone knows someone doing time with either of them and can get the truth out of them, then your information will remain confidential and when verified to be correct, the funds would go directly to you or an outside family member if you so choose. I know someone must have the connection to get the information we do desperately desire.
I miss my baby girl Heather beyond what words can express, one smile would melt my heart and she could ask for anything and I would do my best to make it happen. Those precious moments have been stolen from Heather's family and we are begging that these words might move someone to action.
It is with a heavy broken heart that I finally break down and post here.
Thank you in advance for your kindness and prayers, those things carry the power of God and it’s in his time we will know the whole truth. With your help, it might just be the time to step up and get the truth out of those two.
It is a sad heart but a hopeful heart that I ask these things.
Amen,
Terry

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500