Haliburton Hired for storm clean up

Ntegrity said:
So any company who has ever had ties with anyone in public office should be denied contracts for which they're qualified? Whatever :rolleyes:

Nope. That's not what I said. But they shouldn't be treated more favorably in the process, either. And Cheney still has considerable financial ties to Halliburton, so it's not like his connection is something in the past.

BirdieBoo said:
Actually, I think that's what we've been hearing. Halliburton is in charge of many contracts for the Iraq war, too. Small pieces put together in a puzzle add up to big pieces. This isn't really a puzzle, though, for those paying attention.

It would be quite another thing entirely if Halliburton were not directly connected to the Vice President, If they were just a company experienced in these sorts of things. But Halliburton DOES have ties to Cheney. He used to be the CEO. So it appears to be a conflict of interest and undue corporate interest.

Saying that government chose Halliburton on its own merits rings a bit hollow, when the second-in-command of the government used to be the CEO.

Cheney appears to still be working for Halliburton, not for the people of the USA, who are his boss now.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck.....

I guess I should have been more specific with my original comment about massive contract conspiracy - I meant specifically on this new contract. I'm not talking about any other contracts in the past. And I doubt ANYONE here, right now, knows the specifics on this new contract. And until that is known, and compared to other company contracts, I have no personal reason to think this is all a political $$$ contract.

And I don't know specifics on how "Cheney appears to still be working for Haliburton." Do you? I haven't followed it closely, to be honest. I thought he had to sever ties, and other than maybe pension, etc. he had to sell his stock ,etc. And actually, in the middle of this, I really don't care that much. I'd rather get them cleanup help. JMO.

BirdieBoo said:
It's not just for the citizens of LA to think about.

An entire BIG CITY in the USA was destroyed, is 89% underwater. To think that this is only going to affect the citizens of LA is naive.

I mentioned the citizens of LA, but didn't say it was all-inclusive. I do not consider myself naive; I realize all the USA will be directly and/or indirectly impacted for years to come.

Ntegrity said:

Very interesting article, thanks! That's more than I really knew, but goes along with what I thought, which was he had to sever ties (financially) when he took office. And so he gets deferred comp payments through 2005' as the article states, that is/can be a common practice. Having a background in HR, I can state I've seen that as part of comp packages for high level execs. ooohhh, and shame on Cheney and his wife to donate any stock profits to charity if the company's stock goes up. And, he had the foresight to take out an insurance loan to cover his deferred comp payments if the company went bankrupt.

Carry on....

Ntegrity said:

Really? so he doesn't have any stock or anything? And if he donates stock profits he doesn't get a tax benefit? Which I imagine would be quite a considerable one?

That's an article allright. It says :Cheney says he takes no part in matters relating to Halliburton

So of course, if he says so, it must be true. If you believe that the leaders of the nation are beyond reproach.

Thanks for the info.

There was plenty of documentation provided to support his claims. If you choose to believe he's Satan himself, so be it.

Ntegrity said:
There was plenty of documentation provided to support his claims. If you choose to believe he's Satan himself, so be it.

I don't choose to believe he's Satan, I choose to believe that if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck.

Bush/Cheney seem to have amassed a large body count of Americans on their watch, while companies they are/were afilliated with before they became president/vice seem to be thriving.

Atta girl, BirdieBoo. Don't let facts stand in your way. :rolleyes:

Ntegrity said:
Atta girl, BirdieBoo. Don't let facts stand in your way. :rolleyes:

You know, Ntegrity, I'm not saying these things to peeve you off, I'm saying them because I really believe them. As a USA citizen, that is one of my rights that I like to exercise now and again, saying what I believe, whether everyone else believes it or not;) Of course, you already knew that about me :blowkiss:

As for Bush / Cheney, they are two of the most powerful men in the world, they command the greatest military force in the world, have plenty of power, plenty of money, plenty of connections...the list goes on and on.

My own personal power lies in my vote, my education, and my ability to speak out when something is bothering me. You may not agree with what I say, I know a lot of people don't. But I still like to say it. So I hope that people will understand when I choose not to take time to defend the 2 most powerful men in the world. They don't seem to be the ones who need defending. They're doing OK, Halliburton or not.

It's the rest of us I'm worried about.

DEPUTYDAWG said:
No, although he's my ex, we're still on pretty good terms, but I have no desire to travel with him, LOL!

But if I get in your area, or you up here, you definitely sound like a great person to do lunch with!!! I've been to Baton Rouge (last time was 5/04 for a horse show in Gonzales), and NO...would love to get down in that area again some time. Have really been wondering about our horse show buddies from that area...I'm hoping that private show grounds in Gonzales is housing lots of horses and other animals right now, it's a wonderful, gorgeous facility.

And glad your friend's uncle has been found safe.

OMG! If I was being graded for reading comprehension, I'd have flunked, huh? I completely missed the "ex!" Sorry about that!

So I wonder if Cheney gave up all of the *friendships* he made at Halliburton
upon becoming Vice President? Something tells me NO.

BirdieBoo said:
So I wonder if Cheney gave up all of the *friendships* he made at Halliburton
upon becoming Vice President? Something tells me NO.

Does it matter? Halliburton is one of the few companies in the world which has extensive experience in this type of cleanup. Would you want a less experienced company in charge of such a huge undertaking? A company that doesn't already own the equipment needed to accomplish this cleanup?

kgeaux said:
Does it matter? Halliburton is one of the few companies in the world which has extensive experience in this type of cleanup. Would you want a less experienced company in charge of such a huge undertaking? A company that doesn't already own the equipment needed to accomplish this cleanup?

Thank you. That is the important thing, get people in who know how to do massive cleanups. And Haliburton won't be the only company down there. Others will make company profit over this, as well. That should be quite evident.

BirdieBoo said:
I don't choose to believe he's Satan, I choose to believe that if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck.

Bush/Cheney seem to have amassed a large body count of Americans on their watch, while companies they are/were afilliated with before they became president/vice seem to be thriving.
Birdie - I feel the same way as you. When I first saw the title of this thread I thought "please, this cannot be true" but then I realized "of course, it is". Why should I expect the tune to be changed now? Like you said, if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck.................

BirdieBoo said:
So of course, if he says so, it must be true.

Find fact proof of something different. Fact.

less0305 said:
Find fact proof of something different. Fact.

I'm not an expert at federal rules and agencies that monitor all the financial relationships, conflicts of info, etc. but I know they have to declare pretty much everything (rightfully so) and it's heavily scrutinized.

BirdieBoo, you might be interested in reading about the company Bush has hired to handle the victims' bodies. It's called Kenyon, and is a subsidiary of SCI, the company involved in the so-called "FuneralGate" scandal. Here are some news stories with info.

Editing this post to replace previous link with MSM links.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,41298,00.html

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/08/24/president.2000/bush.funeral/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/campaigns/wh2000/stories/texas083199.htm

http://www.caller2.com/2001/november/09/today/texasnew/17283.html

Tired.old.hag

We are staying with links and articles from Main Stream Media please. Links and articles from partisan left and right news sites and blogs only contribute to flaming the Political arguments. This is not the Political Forum.

Thanks
tybee

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg