Haliburton Hired for storm clean up

Sorry, tybee. I linked to that page because it has a lot of links to the main stream media. I was being lazy :) I'll edit my post, and copy in the MSM links, and delete that one.

less0305 said:
Find fact proof of something different. Fact.

Like I said, I don't think the 2 most powerful men in the country need ME to defend them. They have militaries and millions at their disposal. Attacking ME because I choose not to believe them would not make them any more credible.

And as for heavily scrutinized: By whom? Other federal agencies?

Feel free to keep on supporting whomever you want. I choose not to support Cheney or believe in him in regards to him not having ANY connection whatsoever to Halliburton. You want me to believe in him, then you can produce some facts that I find believable. You don't need ME to change your mind. I'm just stating my opinion because I have a right to do so. I don't need to produce "facts" on demand for you or anyone else. The facts are there for anyone who cares to find them.

kgeaux said:
Does it matter? Halliburton is one of the few companies in the world which has extensive experience in this type of cleanup. Would you want a less experienced company in charge of such a huge undertaking? A company that doesn't already own the equipment needed to accomplish this cleanup?
Of course they have lots of experience. The federal government awards them a lot of contracts in this type of work. Sometimes without them even having to bid. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. I'll give you all my specialized contracts, because you are my friend. pretty soon, you will be the most experienced one in that particular field. Then I can hire you for everything without having to justify it, because you'll be the one with the most experience. It will work out great for both of us. How nice.

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N09727978.htm

Firms with Bush-Cheney ties clinching Katrina deals
10 Sep 2005 14:54:50 GMT

Source: Reuters

WASHINGTON, Sept 10 (Reuters) - Companies with ties to the Bush White House and the former head of FEMA are clinching some of the administration's first disaster relief and reconstruction contracts in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

At least two major corporate clients of lobbyist Joe Allbaugh, President George W. Bush's former campaign manager and a former head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, have already been tapped to start recovery work along the battered Gulf Coast.

One is Shaw Group Inc. <SGR.N> and the other is Halliburton Co. <HAL.N> subsidiary Kellogg Brown and Root. Vice President Dick Cheney is a former head of Halliburton......

Halliburton continues to be a source of income for Cheney, who served as its chief executive officer from 1995 until 2000 when he joined the Republican ticket for the White House. According to tax filings released in April, Cheney's income included $194,852 in deferred pay from the company, which has also won billion-dollar government contracts in Iraq.

Cheney's office said the amount of deferred compensation is fixed and is not affected by Halliburton's current economic performance or earnings......

Shaw said on Thursday it has received a $100 million emergency FEMA contract for housing management and construction. Shaw also clinched a $100 million order on Friday from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

Shaw Group spokesman Chris Sammons said Allbaugh was providing the company with "general consulting on business matters," and would not say whether he played a direct role in any of the Katrina deals. "We don't comment on specific consulting activities," he said.

Interesting Read at link

tybee204 said:
http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N09727978.htm

Firms with Bush-Cheney ties clinching Katrina deals
10 Sep 2005 14:54:50 GMT

Source: Reuters

WASHINGTON, Sept 10 (Reuters) - Companies with ties to the Bush White House and the former head of FEMA are clinching some of the administration's first disaster relief and reconstruction contracts in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

At least two major corporate clients of lobbyist Joe Allbaugh, President George W. Bush's former campaign manager and a former head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, have already been tapped to start recovery work along the battered Gulf Coast.

One is Shaw Group Inc. <SGR.N> and the other is Halliburton Co. <HAL.N> subsidiary Kellogg Brown and Root. Vice President Dick Cheney is a former head of Halliburton......

Halliburton continues to be a source of income for Cheney, who served as its chief executive officer from 1995 until 2000 when he joined the Republican ticket for the White House. According to tax filings released in April, Cheney's income included $194,852 in deferred pay from the company, which has also won billion-dollar government contracts in Iraq.
Cheney's office said the amount of deferred compensation is fixed and is not affected by Halliburton's current economic performance or earnings......
I haven't read the link yet but is this a direct contradiction of the notion that Cheney does not receive financial gain from Halliburton?
This part sticks out "Cheney's office said"...But of course, I do not have direct personal access to Cheney's books. Thank you for posting the article.

BirdieBoo said:
I haven't read the link yet but is this a direct contradiction of the notion that Cheney does not receive financial gain from Halliburton?
This part sticks out "Cheney's office said"...But of course, I do not have direct personal access to Cheney's books. Thank you for posting the article.

The amount that Cheney gets from Halliburton is for deferred salary and bonus compensation, earned prior to running for VP. From what I can remember, the bonuses are tied to stock options, and even if these options increase in value, Cheney will still get the same amount of $$ as originally stated and any gain will be given to already designated charities. The only way the amount Cheney would get could differ, would be if Halliburton declared bankruptcy, then he gets in line.

JMHO
fran

BirdieBoo said:
Like I said, I don't think the 2 most powerful men in the country need ME to defend them. They have militaries and millions at their disposal. Attacking ME because I choose not to believe them would not make them any more credible.

And as for heavily scrutinized: By whom? Other federal agencies?

Feel free to keep on supporting whomever you want. I choose not to support Cheney or believe in him in regards to him not having ANY connection whatsoever to Halliburton. You want me to believe in him, then you can produce some facts that I find believable. You don't need ME to change your mind. I'm just stating my opinion because I have a right to do so. I don't need to produce "facts" on demand for you or anyone else. The facts are there for anyone who cares to find them.

You were the one that implied he's a liar. I just wondered on what you base that on. But that's okay. I'm all right with Cheney right now. Thanks.

BirdieBoo said:
Of course they have lots of experience. The federal government awards them a lot of contracts in this type of work. Sometimes without them even having to bid. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. I'll give you all my specialized contracts, because you are my friend. pretty soon, you will be the most experienced one in that particular field. Then I can hire you for everything without having to justify it, because you'll be the one with the most experience. It will work out great for both of us. How nice.

BirdieBoo, respectfully: Halliburton has been doing this type of work and getting these kinds of contracts years before Bush became president. Decades. They've been the guys with the experience for years and years and years. I realize you won't change your mind about this, but I'll just tell you that I live in an area that was made by big oil companies: Halliburton, among others, is well known here. They've got the experience. And they didn't get it by getting government contracts, either. They got their experience in the oil fields of the world, long before they ever got their first government contract.

less0305 said:
You were the one that implied he's a liar. I just wondered on what you base that on. But that's okay. I'm all right with Cheney right now. Thanks.
No. I did not imply that he was a LIAR, I said that just because he "says so", that should not be the last word on the subject. Demanding facts from me while taking Dick Cheney's word for *whatever* since he is a national elected official seems a bit like a double standard. I believe my exact words were "If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck..." As I said earlier, I am just stating my own opinion and I don't feel the need to defend one of the 2 most powerful men in the world. Part of the reason this nation is so great is that the leaders CAN and SHOULD be held up to scrutiny by the citizens. And it is our duty to do so, according to Roosevelt, a great president if there ever was one.

"The President is merely the most important among a large number of public servants. He should be supported or opposed exactly to the degree which is warranted by his good conduct or bad conduct, his efficiency or inefficiency in rendering loyal, able, and disinterested service to the Nation as a whole. Therefore it is absolutely necessary that there should be full liberty to tell the truth about his acts, and this means that it is exactly necessary to blame him when he does wrong as to praise him when he does right. Any other attitude in an American citizen is both base and servile. To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. Nothing but the truth should be spoken about him or any one else. But it is even more important to tell the truth, pleasant or unpleasant, about him than about any one else."

"Roosevelt in the Kansas City Star", 149
May 7, 1918

fran said:
The amount that Cheney gets from Halliburton is for deferred salary and bonus compensation, earned prior to running for VP. From what I can remember, the bonuses are tied to stock options, and even if these options increase in value, Cheney will still get the same amount of $$ as originally stated and any gain will be given to already designated charities. The only way the amount Cheney would get could differ, would be if Halliburton declared bankruptcy, then he gets in line.

JMHO
fran
So Cheney gets the tax benefit from the (presumably sizeable) charitable donation?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back