Halyna Hutchins Shot With Prop Gun - Alec Baldwin indicted & Hannah Gutierrez-Reed charged, 2021 #7

BeckyF

Reaction score
Alec Baldwin discharged gun in incident that killed cinematographer

A helicopter transported cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, 42, to the University of New Mexico Hospital, where she was pronounced dead by medical personnel, according to the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office. The director, 42-year-old Joel Souza, was transported via ambulance to Christus St. Vincent’s hospital and is receiving emergency treatment for his injuries.

"According to investigators it appears that the scene being filmed involved the use of a prop firearm when it was discharged," a release from the sheriff's office said. "Detectives are investigating how and what type of projectile was discharged."

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven’t been able to follow this case very closely and while I’ve perused the comments in this thread, I have not had the time to read them all so forgive me if the things I ask in this post and others have been answered previously & I missed it.

If I’m not mistaken, in a police interview the day of the shooting, AB said that HGR handed him the gun and announced it was a cold gun but the investigators and HGR say that DH was the one who gave AB the gun after lunch and announced it was a cold gun. I think I also read that DH said it was him and that he did not check the gun himself before announcing it was safe.

So my question here is, did AB ever correct his statement to police that it was always HGR that would hand him the gun and did so after lunch that day? Or did I hear him wrong in that interview and he never said that she gave it to him?
I don't know if AB went back to State authorities and corrected his statement to them (made the day of the shooting) that Hannah was the one who handed him the gun, but when he was interviewed by George Stephanopolous he said it was Dave Hall who handed him the gun.

In reference to her age & dual job assignment …
I would hope anyone who is to over see guns & ammo, the keeper of order and safety would not party the night before. Or at all during that work assignment endurance.
She was responsible for souls just like an airline pilot IMO.

ETA: yes.. she should have turned down the job when they informed her of double assignments. I think I read 3 others turned it down.

Moo

DAY 5 in the "Rust" manslaughter trial of armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed begins with witness 13: Chief Medical Investigator, Dr. Heather Jarrell. She performed an autopsy on Halyna Hutchins.

HJ conducted autopsy on Oct. 22, 2021. HJ determined cause of death: gunshot wound to the chest and classified it as an accident. “It was apparent to me there was no intent to cause death.” HJ: that doesn’t mean it wasn’t negligent.

Court officer just placed chair at front of gallery - facing everyone in the audience. Appears to be a precaution because of photos that are about to be shown concerning HH's autopsy.

Seeing images of HH’s body - showing entrance wound underneath her right armpit. Next images show the exit wound through her back, below shoulder blade.

Defense asks for sidebar with judge.Counsel now at bench. Images have been removed from the screen. Questioning has resumed.

HJ describes lethal injuries:
-significant blood loss
-injury to right lung
Toxicology: negative of alcohol and common drugs of abuse

HJ says HH was intubated incorrectly. Tube was placed in her esophagus, sending air to her stomach. Appears defense is trying to convince jury that HH could have been saved had the esophageal intubation had not been performed.

WITNESS 14: Stephen Orr, Santa Fe County Sheriff’s OfficeGot involved in case on Oct. 28, 2021. Because of his firearms background, Orr was asked to take a look at a rifle investigators were having trouble “clearing.” Wrong size cartridges were stuck in the gun.

.45 cartridge was in tubular magazine but was too large to cycle through. SO was able to fix gun to make it safe.(not sure the significance of the rifle. It was not the weapon involved in the deadly incident). Defense: dummy round was loaded into rifle.

WITNESS 15: Byron French, FBI Digital Forensic ExaminerFrench performed cell phone extraction on HGR’s cell phone.Prosecution showing photo of what appears to be two revolver chambers. Judge calls morning break.

@DanaGriffinNBC

Last edited:
HGR's "armorer" dad knew there were possibly live rounds on set because there was, for sure, at least one live round on set.

Charging documents held Gutierrez-Reed responsible for "allowing live ammunition on the set," but not for bringing them to the production.

Once the case reaches trial, defense teams for Gutierrez-Reed and Baldwin are expected to grill prosecutors over their inability to explain the source of the live rounds.

Thursday, jurors reviewed photos of live rounds found on the set.

Special prosecutor Jason Lewis said investigators combed through movie set photos, determining there were six live rounds that circulated the set of the Alec Baldwin-starred western movie — including one displayed in a photo that Gutierrez-Reed took of herself at work.

“There is a live round sitting right on Ms. Gutierrez’s lap and she failed to identify it,” Lewis told the 12 jurors as they were shown the image.

Gutierrez-Reed photographed herself in a photo on set with a live round. Seen bottom left.
EXHIBIT #9
View attachment 486039
That picture shows very little in the way of ammo - how can they identify a single live round from that picture?

WATCH LIVE: ‘Rust’ Movie Shooting — NM v. Hannah Gutierrez — Day Four
https://youtube.com/live/u24ZTeWe9NY?si=7it6aU6zq8jw0o2E via @YouTube

@koat7news

WATCH LIVE: Prosecutors continue to call witnesses in 'Rust' film shooting trial | Click on the image to read the full story

@CourtTV

LIVE: NM v. #HannahGutierrez | Baldwin Movie Shooting Trial - Day 4Hannah Gutierrez, 25, is facing involuntary manslaughter in the shooting death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins. Gutierrez was the armorer on #AlecBaldwin's #Rust movie set.

ZB: Revolver is designed to only fire when the hammer is in fully cocked position. Owner’s manual warning: it’s advised that you load one less cartridge in the chamber to prevent accidental firing (we previously learned that gun had been fully by HGR.)

ZB conducted test to get gun to accidentally fire.ZB says there were only 2 times he successfully got weapon to fire by hitting it with a mallet.1st: At resting position with a loaded chamber/ hammer was sitting on primer2nd: when hammer was in fully cocked position

Judge calls morning break.

@DanaGriffinNBC
It should be pointed out that the owners manual here is talking about carrying the gun with all six chambers full.

This kind of unintentional discharge is not what AB - or anyone - claims to have happened here. It's irrelevant that it has all six chambers loaded for the discussion we're having.

As far as where the ammo came from, I haven't made up my mind but I'm leaning towards the live rounds coming from Thell. Either from Thell to HGR or Thell through PDQ to HGR. Based on the pics, PDQ ran a very sloppy shop. But the FBI witness says the live rounds found at PDQ didn't match the live rounds found on set. Even if PDQ was sloppy and mixed rounds, I'd expect the cops to find something at PDQ that matched the live rounds on set. The powder not matching was significant because it shows that the PDQ live rounds and the Rust live rounds came from 2 different manufacturers.
There are only two possible sources these rounds came from; they were either handloads made by PDG, TR or some random person who makes their own ammo or, less likely I think, a low volume manufacturer who uses Star-Line brass in their product. Star-Line does not make loaded ammo.

I’m puzzled….Defense Attorney in opening spoke of how HGR was completely qualified and competently trained by her father and yet their defense seems to be that she was only 24 yrs old and they put too much on her by asking her to also take on other duties. Yet I read somewhere that it is normal for people on set to have more than one role - including the armorer because of the limited number of scenes in a movie involving guns or ammo. AB said the shoot was scheduled for about 30 days and defense attorney said HGR was told no when she asked for more than 8 days as armorer so it sounds like they were anticipating about 30% of the time to need an armorer - that is to be working on scenes involving weapons and armor. I don’t know much about making movies but it seems reasonable to me that less than 1/3 of a movie would involve weapons. It also seems reasonable to me that they would hire an armorer for the 8 days they thought they would need one and offer that person other duties to get more hours in on the project rather than have them sit in a trailer somewhere waiting for the next scene involving firearms.

But how can the defense say both that HGR was properly trained and qualified but use her age and lack of experience as a reason she should not be held responsible?

PS Can anyone clarify for me whether an armorer needs to have a permit or be certified or hold a license and whether or not HGR had such credentials?

Court resumes with prosecutor questions to digital forensic examiner Byron French. He says photo of two empty revolver chambers were taken Oct. 10, 2021.

Going through series of text messages extracted from HGR's phone asking for "her stuff" from someone in Santa Fe.

Defense points out that BF doesn't know significance of text messages to the shooting. BF says it is not his job to determine significance.

@DanaGriffinNBC

I’m puzzled….Defense Attorney in opening spoke of how HGR was completely qualified and competently trained by her father and yet their defense seems to be that she was only 24 yrs old and they put too much on her by asking her to also take on other duties. Yet I read somewhere that it is normal for people on set to have more than one role - including the armorer because of the limited number of scenes in a movie involving guns or ammo. AB said the shoot was scheduled for about 30 days and defense attorney said HGR was told no when she asked for more than 8 days as armorer so it sounds like they were anticipating about 30% of the time to need an armorer - that is to be working on scenes involving weapons and armor. I don’t know much about making movies but it seems reasonable to me that less than 1/3 of a movie would involve weapons. It also seems reasonable to me that they would hire an armorer for the 8 days they thought they would need one and offer that person other duties to get more hours in on the project rather than have them sit in a trailer somewhere waiting for the next scene involving firearms.

But how can the defense say both that HGR was properly trained and qualified but use her age and lack of experience as a reason she should not be held responsible?

PS Can anyone clarify for me whether an armorer needs to have a permit or be certified or hold a license and whether or not HGR had such credentials?
There's a prop masters union that they can join, which probably has some minimum training and certifications but anyone off the street can be hired to be an armorer.
IF the movie company is smart, they'll have a list of certs and training in the job vacancy for the person they're looking to hire.
As retired mil and a gunsmith (which doesn't require a certification either), some of the things I'd imagine a generic movie wanting in an armorer:
1. Armorer certifications in specific firearms being used, such as AR15, Glock, Sig, etc. Armorer in a specific weapon is NOT the same as movie armorer. AR15 armorer means the person has attended a course, usually through a manufacturer, to learn how to do repairs on a specific type of gun. I attended the Brownells course for AR15 and the company courses for a number of pistols.
2. FFL (federal firearms license), if the armorer is going to be providing weapons vs renting or buying through a 3rd party like they did with Rust.
3. Safety certs, like NRA instructor certification.
4. And, of course, experience.
Most big movies used armorer companies. From what I know of guns and what I've learned about this movie, my opinion is that they should have had one full time armorer and at least one assistant. And someone with experience as a trainer. And there should have been better equipment. EVERYTHING gun related, even the holster belts with dummy rounds, should be locked up.
I've read that Thell Reed pulled strings to get HGR this job. If the information is correct, Thell and Seth both recommended HGR and Seths sister-in-law (I think SIL) to be armorer and prop master. I can't imagine how or why he had such a lapse in judgement to recommend a 24yo with no experience to train and enforce safety regs with someone like Alec Baldwin.

WITNESS 16: Lucien “Luke” Haag (Forensic Science Services)Firearm box was passed to witness who looked at firearm to see if it was "clear." LH: “It is cleared.”

Haag says he focuses on shooting incident reconstruction.

Haag tested the “Baldwin” revolver in this case.

LH says he formed an opinion on the working condition on the firearm. Says it was in "proper working order.”

LH stands in front of jury and shows hammer fully down. Pulls trigger to show it’s now in the “safety” position When he pulls latch down, cylinder can rotate freely He closes gate If I’m ready to shoot, I’m gonna *advertiser censored* it. When I'm ready to shoot (pulls triggers)

LH shows how a person would show off cartridges while loaded in revolver. LH now seated back on stand.

KM: have you seen any evidence that the full cocked hammer notch was modified to allow faster shooting? LH: No

LH comparing characteristics of deconstructed rounds taken from "PDQ Props" and live ammo investigators found on set. LH shows differences in several aspects of the rounds - another prosecution attempt to show the live ammo on set did not come from the supplier.

Prosecutor plays video taped with Luke Haag. Someone wearing a blue medical glove holds “Baldwin” revolver after they reconstructed the revolver with a new trigger and bolt. Damaged hammer remains (wants to see how it impacts the gun)

Hammer is pulled but hammer falls and is captured at “half *advertiser censored*” position, preventing the gun from firing.

KM: trigger would have to be pulled to fire. Even if it was damaged on Oct. 21, Baldwin would have to pull the trigger? LH confirms

LH also reviewed film scenes of Baldwin on set that we watch yesterday. LH says there is nothing that the hammer could get caught on to cause it to fire.

Court takes lunch break.

@DanaGriffinNBC

Last edited:
WITNESS 16: Lucien “Luke” Haag (Forensic Science Services)Firearm box was passed to witness who looked at firearm to see if it was "clear." LH: “It is cleared.”

Haag says he focuses on shooting incident reconstruction.

Haag tested the “Baldwin” revolver in this case.

LH says he formed an opinion on the working condition on the firearm. Says it was in "proper working order.”

LH stands in front of jury and shows hammer fully down. Pulls trigger to show it’s now in the “safety” position When he pulls latch down, cylinder can rotate freely He closes gate If I’m ready to shoot, I’m gonna *advertiser censored* it. When I'm ready to shoot (pulls triggers)

LH shows how a person would show off cartridges while loaded in revolver. LH now seated back on stand.

KM: have you seen any evidence that the full cocked hammer notch was modified to allow faster shooting? LH: No

LH comparing characteristics of deconstructed rounds taken from "PDQ Props" and live ammo investigators found on set. LH shows differences in several aspects of the rounds - another prosecution attempt to show the live ammo on set did not come from the supplier.

Prosecutor plays video taped with Luke Haag. Someone wearing a blue medical glove holds “Baldwin” revolver after they reconstructed the revolver with a new trigger and bolt. Damaged hammer remains (wants to see how it impacts the gun)

Hammer is pulled but hammer falls and is captured at “half *advertiser censored*” position, preventing the gun from firing.

KM: trigger would have to be pulled to fire. Even if it was damaged on Oct. 21, Baldwin would have to pull the trigger? LH confirms

LH also reviewed film scenes of Baldwin on set that we watch yesterday. LH says there is nothing that the hammer could get caught on to cause it to fire.

Court takes lunch break.

@DanaGriffinNBC
I'm catching up and watching him right now. He is doing a GREAT job explaining firearms and ammo in layperson terms.

moo, at this time, this young lady, did not have the experience, passion or maturity for the job. period. Did she feel pressured to go into this type of industry? Certainly didn't seem too serious or interested --

Gutierrez-Reed also told the podcast that she almost didn't take the job because she hadn't been sure if she was ready for it.

"It was a really badass way to start off a really long and cool career," she said on the podcast. "It was also my first time being head armorer as well. I almost didn't take the job because I wasn't sure if I was ready. But doing it, like, it went really smoothly."

Gutierrez-Reed later added that she had initially been fearful loading blanks into guns on set.

"I think loading blanks was the scariest thing to me because I was like, oh, I don't know anything about it," she said.

Earlier this week, the online publication The Wrap published a report citing sources from the set of "The Old Way" who said Gutierrez-Reed exhibited poor gun safety on set.

Stu Brumbaugh, who worked as a key grip on "The Old Way," told The Wrap that Hannah Gutierrez-Reed's behavior caused the film's star Nicolas Cage to scream at her and storm off set after she fired a gun near the cast and crew for the second time in three days without warning.

And there's more...

Who is Hannah Gutierrez-Reed? The 'Rust' armorer who will be charged with involuntary manslaughter alongside Alec Baldwin

Updated Feb 21, 2023

The trial of "Rust" armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, who faces charges of involuntary manslaughter and evidence tampering following the death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, is officially underway.

Opening statements in Gutierrez-Reed's trial began on Feb. 23 in Santa Fe, New Mexico, with prosecutors hoping to finally secure a conviction. Some participants in the "Rust" tragedy have struck plea bargains, and a past charge against actor and producer Alec Baldwin was suddenly dropped. Baldwin was re-charged by prosecutors in January; his trial is expected to take place this summer.

Will Hannah Gutierrez-Reed go to prison for 'Rust' shooting?​

Legal experts say Gutierrez-Reed faces an uphill battle. "There were a lot of people at fault on this set, but she's going to bear the brunt of it, partly because she doesn't have the (financial) resources that Baldwin has," David Sirotkin, a partner at Morelli Law Firm in New York, told USA TODAY ahead of the trial.

Tre Lovell, entertainment attorney with Los Angeles-based The Lovell Firm, added: "Hannah is the most likely person to go to jail here, because simply put, her job was to make things safe. Even if the set was a mess, this was her job, and you can’t delegate it."

What's more, "jurors tend not to react well if they hear someone is getting high and then a tragic accident happens," Custodio said. "It's one thing if your job is hard; it’s another if you are partying while you're doing it."

If Gutierrez-Reed is convicted, she could face 18 months in prison.

Ms Breakfast at Tiffany’s seems not very childlike today. Hand clinched in an angelic pose. Maybe over reaching if meant to correct “sloppy” and “unprofessional” .
IMO
It is a sophisticated look, but seems blatantly over-styled for court. This style is often seen on bridal parties, brides or celebrities at award functions. imo, I go with over reach.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phnix
Back