Has your case been entered into NAMUS??

Does anyone know what information you need to enter a case on NamUs? I tried to enter one but did not have the police case number and it was denied. I filled out everything that was a required field and all the information that I had so I don't know what else to do. Maybe if someone here knows how to enter one they could submit it for me?

It should be prompting you (in red) with what you're missing. I've entered quite a few and have never needed the police case number. That will get filled in when NamUs validates the info with LE.

If you skipped over date of birth, you later have to put in an age when missing.
If memory serves, you have to enter height and weight. If you don't know, guess. NamUs will verify with LE.
There's now a "missing from Tribal Lands" that needs a yes or no or the case will not submit.
You have to put in the police agency with address and phone number. A good many are already in there and you choose the correct one, but if it's not on the list, you have to manually enter the info.

What option did you choose for Relationship to Missing? Family would choose Family Member. I always choose "Concerned Citizen".

Don't forget the photo (if there is one). It's not required but it's easy to forget to enter it.

I chose concerned citizen but could it be that I chose the wrong police department? There are two police departments listed for the City it is in and I don't know which one to put in but I did provide the Detectives name and phone number.

I chose concerned citizen but could it be that I chose the wrong police department? There are two police departments listed for the City it is in and I don't know which one to put in but I did provide the Detectives name and phone number.

If you did choose one of the police depts, it should submit. Just entering the Det's name and number without a police agency, it won't. Is the draft still in there? Does it say you are missing information?

It's red icon and when I click it it comes up page currently unavailable.

It's red icon and when I click it it comes up page currently unavailable.

Ok. Leave it be for a bit. Red is restricted. Two cases I recently submitted both came up with the red icon, which concerned me because I'd never seen it before. Maybe it's a new thing with NamUs. Anyway, both were eventually published and are viewable to the public.

Thank you so much for all of your help that's the first time I tried to enter one and thought I did something wrong.

****Fellow Sleuthers****

NAMUS/IdentifyUS is looking for platforms to educate families, law enforcement and medical examiners on the centralized databases established for missing persons and UID's. Please provide the following link for your contacts regardless of whether or not the case is cold:

National Missing & Unidentified Persons System

"This site provides an opportunity for families, law enforcement agencies and investigators to search nationwide for missing persons using a variety of powerful search features. Anyone may search the database, but by registering in the system both law enforcement professionals and the general public will also be able to:
  • Add new missing persons cases
  • Add physical and circumstantial details, photographs, dental contacts and other critical pieces of information to a case
  • Create and print missing persons posters
  • Track multiple cases as information is added to the system
With your help, we can increase the number of missing persons cases solved each year providing closure for families and law enforcement officials nationwide."

In order to maintain the integrity of the data entered, NAMUS wants to limit the people entering the information to those who have the most accurate resources-please encourage your contacts to make sure their cases are entered.
What if a family isn't aware of this?

What if a family isn't aware of this?
Looks like that's the point:

NAMUS/IdentifyUS is looking for platforms to educate families, law enforcement and medical examiners on the centralized databases established for missing persons and UID's. Please provide the following link for your contacts regardless of whether or not the case is cold:

....With your help, we can increase the number of missing persons cases solved each year providing closure for families and law enforcement officials nationwide.

bbm

jmho ymmv lrr

Looks like that's the point:

....With your help, we can increase the number of missing persons cases solved each year providing closure for families and law enforcement officials nationwide.

bbm

jmho ymmv lrr
I think my state investigators, the local PDs, and state medical examiners are well aware of NamUs and the latest use of genetic genealogy. They jumped on board and enlisted DDP to solve one of our John Doe cases shortly after they came on board. They were hooked when that John Doe case was solved. And then there's the case of the baby Jane Doe who was recently ID'd through Othram (I think it was Othram). So, my state appears to be all in.
However, I think there are quite a few families here who have missing loved ones that haven't reported them missing, and awareness definitely needs to start with reaching families in our neck of the woods. I believe this because a California Jane Doe turned out to be a missing Maine woman who was never reported. And I came across a person whose uncle had been missing since the 70s. Even though she was responding to a post where I mentioned NamUs to another person, I don't believe she ever had her uncle entered.

What the title said. These are all people listed as missing in the CBI annual report who are not in NAMUS. I'm trying to track down any information, including where these people are missing from (all within Colorado), to send them to the NAMUS coordinator. If this is better suited for a different thread please let me know.

Attachments

• Colorado Missing Not in NAMUS.pdf
    39.1 KB · Views: 16
What the title said. These are all people listed as missing in the CBI annual report who are not in NAMUS. I'm trying to track down any information, including where these people are missing from (all within Colorado), to send them to the NAMUS coordinator. If this is better suited for a different thread please let me know.
It does not appear the CO missing list has been updated since 2021 on the state website and likely was not completely accurate then, as I noticed last year that Ryan Albert is still on it and assuming he is the man who went missing on Longs Peak fall of 2018, his remains were found in the spring of 2019, so some of these not listed in NAMUS could have already been located. Just an FYI. This 2021 list was updated from the 2020 one that still has a link on the state site, though.

Ok, I am not sure when it happened, but I just checked and my first case got published into Namus! I submitted a case from 1976 (finding it here actually) and now this person has a missing person profile in Namus! yay! One down!
I have tried to enter my cousin who went missing June 13th 2022 . I was told the PD has to verify before it can be published . However we can not get WV PD to release info
I am so lost how to go about getting her entered from this point . Any tips are appreciated

I have tried to enter my cousin who went missing June 13th 2022 . I was told the PD has to verify before it can be published . However we can not get WV PD to release info
I am so lost how to go about getting her entered from this point . Any tips are appreciated
Do they have a liaison or community officer who can help you? Because most police departments are aware of NamUs, work with NamUs, and are usually the ones who contact them to get the case entered. At least, our police department does. Usually within a week of someone going missing and not being found, they're in there (in my area, can't speak for other places).
Did you ask the PD to reach out to NamUs directly to get her/his case entered?

You may have tried all this already, but if not --

Have you tried Charley Project

or the Doe Network?

Not the status or reach of NAMUS -- but could help spread the word about your cousin's situation?

Does WV mean West Virginia?

The Attorney General's office may be able to help you:

Your county's District Attorney/Prosecuting Attorney's office should have a Victim Advocate on staff -- that person might be able to help you as well.

Google shows two Facebook groups:

And -- did you start a thread for your cousin?

Best, Laughing

jmho ymmv lrr

Is there someone here that would be able to start the process of getting a case entered into Namus?

The police department case number, height, weight, tattoos, etc are all available on her missing person fliers in this post: TX - TX - Kassandra Lizzete Gonzalez, 30, mother of 4, San Antonio, 12 Aug 2023 *reward*
I submitted her case along with all the information about her tattoos, clothing, distinctive characteristics, etc. I also included photos of her, missing posters, and photos of her tattoos as well as their descriptions

I'm aware of one UID found in Napa that does not
seem to have a Namus listing and no media report
of a resolution match that I could find.
Bone ID ends the mystery on 1977 Walnut Creek murder
The July 14, 2011 lengthy news article concerns the
search to find & identify remains of a victim of
Roger Kibbe. Napa County sheriff’s deputy Mike
Bartlett eventually ended up unearthing a piece of
that victims' remains from a creek bed near the
south end of Lake Berryessa.

Prior to the discovery of that victims' remains, the
news article relates the following occurence;
"Napa County sheriff’s deputy Mike Frey got involved.
The
"..."one-time Contra Costa deputy went to the
coroner’s office looking for unidentified remains and
thought he immediately struck gold. In storage was
a Wallabee boot containing parts of a foot, found
at the
north end of the lake in November 1977".

Subsequent DNA testing proved the foot was not a
match to that particular Roger Kibbe victim - thereby,
the foot must have a DNA profile recorded. Presently,
no record of such remains found in November 1977,
at the north end of Lake Berryessa, appears in Namus
for Napa, Contra Costa, Solano, Lake or Yolo counties.
No record for any such UID remains with the
associated term 'Wallabee' appears in Namus.
FYI.

Last edited:
I'm aware of one UID found in Napa that does not
seem to have a Namus listing and no media report
of a resolution match that I could find.
Bone ID ends the mystery on 1977 Walnut Creek murder
The July 14, 2011 lengthy news article concerns the
search to find & identify remains of a victim of
Roger Kibbe. Napa County sheriff’s deputy Mike
Bartlett eventually ended up unearthing a piece of
that victims' remains from a creek bed near the
south end of Lake Berryessa.

Prior to the discovery of that victims' remains, the
news article relates the following occurence;
"Napa County sheriff’s deputy Mike Frey got involved.
The
"..."one-time Contra Costa deputy went to the
coroner’s office looking for unidentified remains and
thought he immediately struck gold. In storage was
a Wallabee boot containing parts of a foot, found
at the
north end of the lake in November 1977".

Subsequent DNA testing proved the foot was not a
match to that particular Roger Kibbe victim - thereby,
the foot must have a DNA profile recorded. Presently,
no record of such remains found in November 1977,
at the north end of Lake Berryessa, appears in Namus
for Napa, Contra Costa, Solano, Lake or Yolo counties.
No record for any such UID remains with the
associated term 'Wallabee' appears in Namus.
FYI.
Unfortunately, only law enforcement and NamUs staff can enter unidentified persons into their system. Same with unclaimed people. NamUs users can only submit missing persons cases. You can try contacting the law enforcement agency involved in the case or contact the regional coordinator on NamUs, whom I believe is Allison O’Neal. She can be reached at aoneal@rti.org.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back