How can people keep quiet for years?

I agree. And in that example that I cited about the falsely acccused guy on death row, sadly, the witness did not have an epiphany and finally realize her morally bereft decision, thereby truthfully recanting on her own. Those students, (who just happened to choose this case, btw,) had to dig and sleuth and find her and all but corner her with "we have proof."

And as you said, there is a huge difference bw, in her case, for example, her being too scared to implicate her then-husband, compared to the horror of her actively, falsely putting an innocent guy on death row... stunning.

It really makes you wonder how many people have been put to death for crimes they did not commit, all because of what someone said--or failed to say.

Certainly it has happened more than once or twice...

I think the main problems with the Haleigh case, are youth & lifestyle. Young people just think differently. Back in the 80's, my best friend was shot in the chest. She had been living way off with her bf, (he was wild), & I thought he did it. She swore she did it. But, she told me the reason...he & some of his work buddies had given a dealer 1,000 dollars for drugs, & when he stole the money, they took him into the woods & took turns shooting him. She freaked, when the bf told her. I never knew what to make of that story. Was it true? The guy said it was, but who knows. But, & here's the weird part. Nobody ever snitched. not even my friend. The bf told his friend that he had told me, & that guy freaked. I think he considered killing me, but the bf told him I was 'cool'. scared to death, is more like it. Fast forward a couple of years. The bf's brother shot & killed their dad. He claimed because of abuse, but the rumor was that the mom had talked him into it. This guy went to juvie for a few years, & when he got out, his mom bought him a new sports car, with some of the insurance money. Who knows what the real reason was. The last time I ran into the bf, a few years ago, he had gotten married, & was real religious...but not long after that, I read in the paper, where he & his brother were arrested for beating the crud out of each other. I imagine, but don't know, that the fight was over their dad. So, my point is this...young people don't snitch. I could've called somebody about that shooting, but #1, I didn't believe it, (& that's a problem with teenagers...they don't believe it unless they see it) & #2, I was scared & didn't want any problems with these guys. & I guess the brother did kill his dad, for his mom, but family loyalty kept them from snitching. My friend said that the dad was a very abusive, mean drunk. She told me that they would all just be sitting at the table, eating dinner, & he would go off on his kids or wife, & throw dishes at their heads, or punch one of them in the face. But, even she thought the main motive was money.

I could never keep quiet because my conscience wouldn't allow it. It would drive me crazy to know something and keep it quiet.

I could never keep quiet because my conscience wouldn't allow it. It would drive me crazy to know something and keep it quiet.
I agree, but most young people think differently. & since we're trying to figure out why these people have kept quiet, I think their ages might play into that. Young people have a hard time believing something they don't see. They think everything is trash talk, said to impress. So, even if some of these people have heard some important information, they might not believe it...because they didn't see it, with their own 2 eyes. even if 1 of these people confessed to a friend, the friend might just think it was trash talk. As we get older, I guess because of life experiences, or maybe because the brain develops more, we understand things like reasonable doubt, preponderance of evidence, & logic. We also realize that the world doesn't revolve around 'me', & 'I' don't have to see it, for it to be true. Almost every time there has been a mass school shooting, it comes up that the shooter confided in friends. & they almost always, without a doubt, say they didn't think he was serious & was just mouthing off. Now, if they had snitched, the spree could've been avoided, but instead, they act just as shocked as everybody else. The shooter's words, meant absolutely nothing to them. I've heard stories, where teens have told their friends that they're gonna kill their parents. When they follow through, nobody is more surprised than the friends. I don't think most young people can comprehend these warnings. I know I wouldn't necessarily expect a 3rd or 4th grader, to understand, but when is a young person mentally capable of comprehending abstract reasoning? that seeing something, isn't the only gauge of weighing the truth. Personally, I think it's a progression over time.

The fear of coming forward when you know something or suspect something is not always unfounded. In cases where a witness or citizen chooses not to keep quiet but goes to LE with info, they may open themselves up to ridicule or suspicion.

Look what happened to Roy Kronk. He could have just gone about his business and not said a word but instead chose to do the right thing...and in no time at all we saw the defense attack his credibility and even imply that he was a killer. And even when LE is not suspicious of a person coming forward, other people with an axe to grind often grab the opportunity to throw stones at someone the minute their name is in the limelight...Kronk's ex-wife did exactly that.

I just saw a TV show about a psychic who had a vision of where a body was; she went there and found it and went straight to LE to report it. The woman was immediately arrested and charged with murder. She was just a citizen who wanted to help, yet she had to endure a strip search and cavity search and spent several days in jail before being exonerated, and that was only because evidence was found that implicated someone else. Too often, such evidence is not found, or is not found for a very long time.

People see scenarios like those and if they feel they are at risk of being put in such a predicament they remain mute forever, or until such time as they have reason to feel less vulnerable.
Your 1st paragraph makes sense. Look at Tommy. (& I've been guilty, where he's concerned). Say he's telling the truth about Joe...Joe's not the one who's going to prison, he's not the one being called a suspect, & he's not the one being threatened with murder charges. Tommy is. There might be someone out there, who can back up Tommy's claims, but doesn't, because he's scared that he too, will be blamed. I don't think this is the case, but as far as I can tell, there's no real evidence against Tommy either...because he hasn't been charged any more than Joe has. What makes this a tricky situation, is that perps often lie, to minimize their own involvement, so they can frame their accessory. LE has to consider this, but they also have to consider that Tommy might be telling the truth. uggghhh. what a task.

I would like to add that some people don't talk because LE is involved in the crime. My community has 3 cold cases, drownings that are in question and many so called suicides. People wont speak up out of fear for their own lives.

The revolving doors of the legal system in many areas is scary as well. Citizens are well aware that even when offenders are arrested they are likely to get out on bail and those who are convicted often serve only a small fraction of their sentence. Fear of retaliation is understandable in many cases.

That fear is making me wonder. :waitasec: Aren't the ones that should be feared in jail? If no one is feeling safe to speak now it begs the question: WHY?

Within a family, members may have a long history of lying for one another and it's become ingrained in them to do so. They may have a code of loyalty to support each other, regardless of the reason. They may be so embarassed by what another family member did that they can't admit it even within the family. They may feel that they "caused" what another family member did so they are partly responsible. They may be afraid of hurting other family members. They may be afraid of another family member. The other family member may have something on them that they don't want known. They may feel that the stigma will destroy all members of the family forever. They may be in denial.

(BBM)
The fear of coming forward when you know something or suspect something is not always unfounded. In cases where a witness or citizen chooses not to keep quiet but goes to LE with info, they may open themselves up to ridicule or suspicion.

Look what happened to Roy Kronk. He could have just gone about his business and not said a word but instead chose to do the right thing...and in no time at all we saw the defense attack his credibility and even imply that he was a killer. And even when LE is not suspicious of a person coming forward, other people with an axe to grind often grab the opportunity to throw stones at someone the minute their name is in the limelight...Kronk's ex-wife did exactly that.

I just saw a TV show about a psychic who had a vision of where a body was; she went there and found it and went straight to LE to report it. The woman was immediately arrested and charged with murder. She was just a citizen who wanted to help, yet she had to endure a strip search and cavity search and spent several days in jail before being exonerated, and that was only because evidence was found that implicated someone else. Too often, such evidence is not found, or is not found for a very long time.

People see scenarios like those and if they feel they are at risk of being put in such a predicament they remain mute forever, or until such time as they have reason to feel less vulnerable.

I saw that too krkrjx - The police never even contacted her, after they finally released her and now some 20 years later, to apologize - Unfreakinreal!

Within a family, members may have a long history of lying for one another and it's become ingrained in them to do so. They may have a code of loyalty to support each other, regardless of the reason. They may be so embarassed by what another family member did that they can't admit it even within the family. They may feel that they "caused" what another family member did so they are partly responsible. They may be afraid of hurting other family members. They may be afraid of another family member. The other family member may have something on them that they don't want known. They may feel that the stigma will destroy all members of the family forever. They may be in denial.
& you just hit one of my main theories, involving Misty, right on the head.

That fear is making me wonder. :waitasec: Aren't the ones that should be feared in jail? If no one is feeling safe to speak now it begs the question: WHY?

I am not so sure it is fear of others anymore, in Haleigh's case. I think it was in the beginning, but now I am feeling it is more of a fear of the players implicating themselves. As for citizens being afraid to say anything, I don't live in that area so really cannot say what kind of LE they have there but I do see revolving doors on the court system there. Maybe citizens fear being implicated, or being retaliated against, or being questioned about how they came by their information. And there could be some who know something unrelated about one or more of the players but are not aware that info could be valuable in the Haleigh case.

I just find it difficult to accept that there is not even one citizen in that county who doesn't know something relevant...even if it is just something about other activities of one or more of those involved that may not appear relevant but in fact might shed light on what caused this crime or necessitated such an intensive cover-up. I do not believe this crime will be solved until someone in the community steps up.

I would like to add that some people don't talk because LE is involved in the crime. My community has 3 cold cases, drownings that are in question and many so called suicides. People wont speak up out of fear for their own lives.
yeah, even when LE isn't directly involved, cops etc...have friendships, with some of the lowest of the low. & they often times, protect these people. IDK why, except that maybe through their jobs & constant contact with these people, they build relationships. The cousin of my daughter's ex, was on probation. This guy has no boundaries, breaks into people's houses, steals from them, steals from stores, sells dope, etc...well, one night, immediately after being dropped off at home, he walked down the street, knocked on a door, & exposed himself to the all night nurse. She called the cops. Now, this guy was 20 years old & knew better, but he told the cops that when he knocked on the door, the lady told him that she wanted to see him exposed...so they took his word, & did NOTHING, but take him home. His word meant more than this lady's, who had gone to college & was just trying to earn a living. A few days before, a man called the cops on him, because he had been sending nude cell phone pics, to his little son. NOTHING was done. Fast forward a couple of months. This guy's thieving, druggie friend catches him trying to take off in his truck. He calls the cops, they show up, arrest the guy, get him for probation violation, & he goes to the pen. Now, this friend 's word meant more than those other 2 people, & I don't know how it is everywhere else, but that's the norm here. calling the cops, is a waste of time.

I am not so sure it is fear of others anymore, in Haleigh's case. I think it was in the beginning, but now I am feeling it is more of a fear of the players implicating themselves. As for citizens being afraid to say anything, I don't live in that area so really cannot say what kind of LE they have there but I do see revolving doors on the court system there. Maybe citizens fear being implicated, or being retaliated against, or being questioned about how they came by their information. And there could be some who know something unrelated about one or more of the players but are not aware that info could be valuable in the Haleigh case.

I just find it difficult to accept that there is not even one citizen in that county who doesn't know something relevant...even if it is just something about other activities of one or more of those involved that may not appear relevant but in fact might shed light on what caused this crime or necessitated such an intensive cover-up. I do not believe this crime will be solved until someone in the community steps up.

I think people simply do not want their family and loved ones on every media outlet that exists but however, I also beleive that the Cummings side of the family are a threat to anyone who may speak out. IMO, I feel that Ron threatened and Teresa threatened to Misty that night, that whoever brought the Cummings name up in this case in any way would be in danger. That is why Misty and Tommy and Misty's family will not talk. I hope and pray that Chelsea will grow a conscience and tell what she knows, Lord knows no one else is.

I think the ones in jail may no longer feel fearful since they have security protection in jail and the main person involved can't get to them now like they could before they were arrested.

IMO

Kimster, this makes me wonder, too. And you are absolutely correct in what you’re saying here, but I’m not sure the ones in jail are the ones to fear. If there is any truth in what MC and ToC are saying, then the one to really fear is not in jail. However, I just don’t think JO is the one to fear, either. If he really is to be feared, I just can’t see them pointing fingers at him. They may be safe and secure in jail but ToC’s ex wife and his 3 children are still in reach and so are TiC, his wife, and their three children. Could it be possible that the person they fear is someone that we haven’t even heard of yet? I really don’t know the answer to that, but these people of interest that are in jail are there because of their involvement in dealing drugs and their involvement didn’t start the day HaLeigh disappeared or shortly thereafter. I think there is a lot more to this case than any of us may know. :banghead:
JMO for what it's worth :)

Personally, it's more important for me to lay my head down on my pillow each night with a clear conscious.

(BBM)

I saw that too krkrjx - The police never even contacted her, after they finally released her and now some 20 years later, to apologize - Unfreakinreal!

Saw that episode as well. How convenient when someone doesn't have an explaination, she was psychic, she led them to the body yet they arrested her for murder....it took three days for the detective who knew this woman and her ability to set her free...No apologies but a wrongful arrest or malcious arrest lawsuit got her the apology LE didn't verbally give her. She was awarded $27,000 for being wrongully detained...JMHO

I too got the no good deed goes unpunished treatment when my husband and I witnessed a hit and run car accident. We followed the vehicle that fled, I wrote down the license plate number, made an illegal turn to get the attention of this police officer sitting in his car, got pulled over while the driver in the hit and run vehicle got away. I implored the police officer to go after the car, I described the car, gave the plate number, the dent that was made when he rear ended the other vehicle, yet I was given a slew of tickets and told by the officer, "we don't chase cars"! Then he had the nerve to give my name to the insurance company as an eyewitness to the accident...needless to say, this officer put a bad taste in my mouth and I now fear coming foward to aid another human but probably would step up anyway...I was just furious at that time...JMHO

Justice must be served!

Sadly, some people keep quiet so they will have a bargaining chip when they need it. Looking at the criminal element in this case, I can see that being a reason to keep quiet. Also, it might be out of misguided family/gang/friendship/peer loyalty.

On the flipside, what makes those who have kept quiet for years finally tell the truth? I'd say alienation of wives, girlfriends, religion, revenge, deathbed confessions and of course, plea bargains for their own crimes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back