How Did the Side Door Get Opened?/Door Locks/Use of Cinder Block**REVISITED**

They have central air/heat in the house so all work on the AC is done outside. The AC repairman would go inside the house and turn the thermostat on to check the registers to see how cold or how hot the air is coming out of the registers, or perhaps turn off the thermostat to work on the AC. Most of the times the thermostat is located within the living room/dining room area of the house.

My AC man comes to my front door to turn off my AC goes out my front door to work on my AC, which is at the back of my house, right by my back door. He comes back into my house the way he arrived through the front door.

Normal hours of AC repair service 8 - 5. Ron was probably still home when the AC repairman came to the house as he goes to work after he gets Haleigh.

Thanks, Patty.

Continuing on...

Depending on the work he was doing he may have needed to disconnect the power to the unit(s). I dunno about set-up for this trailer, but, typical set-up for a home is to have an
(1) inside coil/blower, and a
(2) outside compressor/coil.​
Both units typically have a fuse box/disconnect switch located with them such that they can be disconnected independently and AT the unit. Sometimes breakers @ a central panel are used, but, I think this is less typical.
The "inside" coil/blower unit is sometimes located in a utility closet, a crawlspace, attic, etc.

Do we know the set-up for this trailer?

IF he was doing more than just checking/replacing switches/relays/thermostats, etc.. For example, changing an internal blower motor, or worse, a coil. And IF the "inside" coil/blower unit has to be accessed inside the trailer (i.e. not crawlspace) - these are bulky & heavy and would possibly result in a propped open door situation.

IF he was working on the external unit it is unlikely he would have to make too many trips in & out. If the external unit wasn't turning on...that can be heard form inside the trailer @ the thermostat while troubleshooting w/o having to go in & out to check. Otherwise...if he was repairing the external unit, virtually everything that has to be done on the external unit doesn't require in & out trips....just a final check.

At least in my area, it is common to have 24hr service depending on how urgent the situation is...just mo' $$

So....no add'l info on Mr. AC Repairman?
Timing of his service call start & finish?

The laundry pile in the floor still bothers me. The laundry room is a narrow area and the inner door should swing to the inside. If there was a pile of laundry there it should have been scattered and kicked around a bit, maybe even trailed into the kitchen. It shouldn't even still be in a pile. Laundry could block the door once opened BUT it could also prevent the door from opening all the way upon entry and exit. I just can't see a strange intruder getting a brick for the screen, hitting a pile of laundry with the inner door upon entry, stepping over a pile of laundry, and walking through a narrow area without scattering some. This is just getting in, what about getting out quickly and carrying a child. He would have also taken the time to distribute the laundry out of the way and arrange a piece to hold the door open. Oh yes, and also to remove Haleighs top and put it in or under the pile of laundry. Not likely IMO!

Thanks, Patty.

Continuing on...

Depending on the work he was doing he may have needed to disconnect the power to the unit(s). I dunno about set-up for this trailer, but, typical set-up for a home is to have an
(1) inside coil/blower, and a
(2) outside compressor/coil.
Both units typically have a fuse box/disconnect switch located with them such that they can be disconnected independently and AT the unit. Sometimes breakers @ a central panel are used, but, I think this is less typical.
The "inside" coil/blower unit is sometimes located in a utility closet, a crawlspace, attic, etc.

Do we know the set-up for this trailer?

IF he was doing more than just checking/replacing switches/relays/thermostats, etc.. For example, changing an internal blower motor, or worse, a coil. And IF the "inside" coil/blower unit has to be accessed inside the trailer (i.e. not crawlspace) - these are bulky & heavy and would possibly result in a propped open door situation.

IF he was working on the external unit it is unlikely he would have to make too many trips in & out. If the external unit wasn't turning on...that can be heard form inside the trailer @ the thermostat while troubleshooting w/o having to go in & out to check. Otherwise...if he was repairing the external unit, virtually everything that has to be done on the external unit doesn't require in & out trips....just a final check.

At least in my area, it is common to have 24hr service depending on how urgent the situation is...just mo' $$

So....no add'l info on Mr. AC Repairman?
Timing of his service call start & finish?
For clarification Bond.

All Manufactured/Mobile Homes aren't the same. Some have access to the central air unit from the inside, and some have access from the outside.

My parents vacation MH was brand new and had access from the inside in the service/utility room.

The laundry pile in the floor still bothers me. The laundry room is a narrow area and the inner door should swing to the inside. If there was a pile of laundry there it should have been scattered and kicked around a bit, maybe even trailed into the kitchen. It shouldn't even still be in a pile. Laundry could block the door once opened BUT it could also prevent the door from opening all the way upon entry and exit. I just can't see a strange intruder getting a brick for the screen, hitting a pile of laundry with the inner door upon entry, stepping over a pile of laundry, and walking through a narrow area without scattering some. This is just getting in, what about getting out quickly and carrying a child. He would have also taken the time to distribute the laundry out of the way and arrange a piece to hold the door open. Oh yes, and also to remove Haleighs top and put it in or under the pile of laundry. Not likely IMO!
It's interesting to theorize about what involvement laundry might have had with the door, but I think it's important to remember that we have no particular reason to think that it did.

I might have missed it, but I don't recall any suggestion of the possibility until it was brought up by NG's producer during their video tour of the home. After that the topic seems to have taken on significance all out of proportion to its potential.

I'm not saying that it should be completely discounted, just that it could be distracting.

It's interesting to theorize about what involvement laundry might have had with the door, but I think it's important to remember that we have no particular reason to think that it did.

I might have missed it, but I don't recall any suggestion of the possibility until it was brought up by NG's producer during their video tour of the home. After that the topic seems to have taken on significance all out of proportion to its potential.

I'm not saying that it should be completely discounted, just that it could be distracting.

The only thing said on NG that wasn't known quite awhile beforehand was that a piece of laundry might have been placed under the inner door to keep it from shutting. There's still the pile of laundry in the way and Haleigh's top being put in or under the pile.

Oh yes, and also to remove Haleighs top and put it in or under the pile of laundry. Not likely IMO!
*snipped*

...excuse me for drifting OT a bit, but, yes...the notion that Haleigh's top was removed and placed in the pile of laundry is problematic. Not that it is impossible... it just seems improbable IMHO if we're dealing with an unknown perp...especially if we're trying to go with an abduction that didn't have Haleigh making enough noise to rouse a sleeping Misty..:waitasec: The alleged top Haleigh was wearing IMHO was either an honest error - and Haleigh was wearing something else...or something is rotten in Denmark...so to speak - and playing out those options is def'n a topic for another thread. Any takers?

I'm leaning w/ 42 on the pile-o-laundry. Maybe there...maybe not. Not a make or break...but would be helpful to know. IIRC, the interior door closed well enough on its own...but it wasn't something a first-time-in-a-hurry intruder might notice...enough that he'd even push clothes in front of it w/ his feet. That would suggest someone not in a hurry or familiar w/ the situation...:waitasec: Of course, we don't have a clear indication of whether or not the interior door was propped open or not...do we? :bang:

I'm leaning toward there is no connection between the found top and what Haleigh was wearing that night. It could have been something similiar or she could have changed. When the grandsons stay here, I doubt I could tell you absolutely what either of them slept in. One of them went through 3 of my t-shirts one night and I think he ended up sleeping without a top that night.

As far as the door, does anyone remember NG tour when they showed the door? Did you actually see the door shut all the way?

The only thing said on NG that wasn't known quite awhile beforehand was that a piece of laundry might have been placed under the inner door to keep it from shutting. There's still the pile of laundry in the way and Haleigh's top being put in or under the pile.
I think we just said mostly the same thing, except the part about the pile of laundry being in the way.

Like I said, I may easily have missed something. Was there a statement somewhere that the pile of laundry was in the way of the door itself, or otherwise significantly obstructing egress?

I'm not trying to challenge you. I just haven't really picked up on anything more specific than that there was a pile of laundry, and that the top was in it.

I think we just said mostly the same thing, except the part about the pile of laundry being in the way.

Like I said, I may easily have missed something. Was there a statement somewhere that the pile of laundry was in the way of the door itself, or otherwise significantly obstructing egress?

I'm not trying to challenge you. I just haven't really picked up on anything more specific than that there was a pile of laundry, and that the top was in it.

Just watched one of the first pressors again today. The detective did not indicate the door had laundry holding it open.

*snipped*

...excuse me for drifting OT a bit, but, yes...the notion that Haleigh's top was removed and placed in the pile of laundry is problematic. Not that it is impossible... it just seems improbable IMHO if we're dealing with an unknown perp...especially if we're trying to go with an abduction that didn't have Haleigh making enough noise to rouse a sleeping Misty..:waitasec: The alleged top Haleigh was wearing IMHO was either an honest error - and Haleigh was wearing something else...or something is rotten in Denmark...so to speak - and playing out those options is def'n a topic for another thread. Any takers?

I'm leaning w/ 42 on the pile-o-laundry. Maybe there...maybe not. Not a make or break...but would be helpful to know. IIRC, the interior door closed well enough on its own...but it wasn't something a first-time-in-a-hurry intruder might notice...enough that he'd even push clothes in front of it w/ his feet. That would suggest someone not in a hurry or familiar w/ the situation...:waitasec: Of course, we don't have a clear indication of whether or not the interior door was propped open or not...do we? :bang:

Here's a refresher on the door and how far it shuts on its own:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1QK6Zn6i9Q

The laundry room is so narrow that any pile of laundry in the floor would have to be stepped over or on to get in or out of the room. I don't think we know if it was more in front of the washer or the dryer though. The room is long enough that a pile of laundry wouldn't necessarily have to block the back door, just depending on how much and how close it was lying. I believe it's the dryer that is right there at the back door, right beside it.

my opinion on the cinder block ....is that it had probably been there longer than Misty & Ronald realized. There are probably several underneath the mobile home itself, and from photos I've seen there are areas where the underpinning is missing or damaged and you can see under the trailer. The first thought that came to my mind when seeing the walk there is that it's a perfect bicycle ramp. How many times have you seen kids making ramps to ride down...I would guess that Haleigh was no different. Maybe she & her cousins propped that door open so they wouldn't break the glass on the storm door, when they road up the ramp.

The laundry room is so narrow that any pile of laundry in the floor would have to be stepped over or on to get in or out of the room. I don't think we know if it was more in front of the washer or the dryer though. The room is long enough that a pile of laundry wouldn't necessarily have to block the back door, just depending on how much and how close it was lying. I believe it's the dryer that is right there at the back door, right beside it.
I've been trying to dig a little to refresh my memory. I found stills of the NG video tour and it looks to me like there's enough room that obstruction would depend a lot on how big the pile was.

I haven't succeeded in finding the statement(s?) concerning the laundry yet.

Are we certain that this laundry the top was found in was on the floor? I noticed in the video tour that there was laundry on the machines.

I've been trying to dig a little to refresh my memory. I found stills of the NG video tour and it looks to me like there's enough room that obstruction would depend a lot on how big the pile was.

I haven't succeeded in finding the statement(s?) concerning the laundry yet.

Are we certain that this laundry the top was found in was on the floor? I noticed in the video tour that there was laundry on the machines.

http://www.jacksonville.com/news/metro/crime/2009-02-16/story/search_for_haleigh_scales_back

Hey all... I'm leaning toward there was no intruder putting a cinderblock there and propping the screen door; And I'm leaning toward the whole scene with the door/s being totally staged by either Ron..... or Ron and Misty..... or Ron and Misty and Mother Teresa.

Observations from reviewing some of the mat'l listed above:

1) Dunno the date of the pic taken of the back door, but, there is a broken piece of a cinder block in view and in the location one would use to prop open the door. Not a full cinder block, but, a small piece.

2) The article describing Misty's return to the trailer details the finding of a pile of laundry on the floor. That the pile was found upon the return to the trailer w/ LE is a good indication IMHO that it was present on the night in question.

3) NG's producer injects that Misty was referring to the interior door as being wide open. Russian roulette as to how accurate that account is.

Observations from reviewing some of the mat'l listed above:

1) Dunno the date of the pic taken of the back door, but, there is a broken piece of a cinder block in view and in the location one would use to prop open the door. Not a full cinder block, but, a small piece.

2) The article describing Misty's return to the trailer details the finding of a pile of laundry on the floor. That the pile was found upon the return to the trailer w/ LE is a good indication IMHO that it was present on the night in question.

3) NG's producer injects that Misty was referring to the interior door as being wide open. Russian roulette as to how accurate that account is.

regarding the brick seen in the photo I posted, it appears it is a brick as seen in this link -- one of the last ones pictured on the page:

http://www.abcblock.com/products/blocks/specs.aspx

TN gives the house tour after the house is cleared by LE. While doing the door demo, TN is asked whether there was laundry on the floor that night. Looking embarrassed, she admits that there was always laundry on the floor. One can go from that to say that at some point, laundry proves to be a hindrance to opening or shutting the door. With the laundry facilities being in such a narrow confines, I wonder if the door is ever left open to vent the heat generated from the dryer. It would seem natural.

Many thanks for the link.

It's not getting me past my question though. Here's a quote from the article...

(begin quote)
She then saw the Hannah Montana shirt in a laundry pile by the back door. “When I put her blanket on she had that shirt on,” Croslin told the Times-Union on Wednesday.
(end quote)

I've added the bold. Still no mention of the floor. There was laundry in the NG video, and it was by the door, but it was on the washer or dryer.

The article doesn't link to the interview they reference. I'm going to hunt for it.

Thanks again.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AMK
Back