Huckaby told friends she was raped by a cop

What does this case have to do with the Innocence Project?

How do we know she falsely confessed?

How do we know there isn't forensic evidence tying her to all of the crimes she has been charged with?

I think it is a little too early to be beating the drum for the Innocent Project when the State has not even had a trial where they can introduce the evidence they have against this woman.

And this is a crime message board........not a court of law.

imo

I am stating feelings, not facts. Feelings can not always be defended in a rational way. I interpreted MH's tears as sincere, and loaded with existential pain (maybe I'm seeing truth, maybe it's PMS--who knows--they're simply "feelings"). In contrast, CA has barely squeezed out a tear, and her attempts at conveying any emotion other than self-righteousness, seem very contrived to me. Again, these are not provable facts--they are admittedly, just my subjective "feelings".

I think it is normal for everyone to have gut reactions when they see a defendant as they watch their demeanor.

I respect your feelings even though mine are the opposite. I think this woman cries for herself knowing that everyone is going to know what torturous things she did to an innocent 8 year old child. Imo, she knows her dark secrets are going to be exposed. No longer can she go under the guise of being sweet, meak, trusting and a person that wouldnt harm anyone.

imo

I think it is a little too early to be beating the drum for the Innocent Project when the Sate has not even had a trial where they can introduce the evidence they have against this woman

...well then consequently it must also be too early to presume she is guilty of these crimes.

I'm not at all surprised that MH apparently had lots of trauma and trouble in her life. Most of the murderers who populate our prisons have had troubled childhoods, etc., and endured all sorts of abuse.
I would actually be surprised if Sandra's killer had lived a normal childhood and was well-adjusted in life.

I think the defense if going to play every card available to them and present MH as a deeply traumatized individual who descended into madness and had no control over her actions. Her family is going to go through a sort of hell as all the facts of her life are laid out in a public trial. I have the feeling there could be some shocking revelations in store.

I know what I'm about to say will make me very unpopular here, but I feel I need to express it anyway. And please read this entire post, if you read it at all--before you write me off.

I do have some compassion for Melissa Huckaby. I think she is a very deeply troubled and lost soul. Though I believe she was most likely abused in one or more fashions during her youth, it really doesn't matter if she wasn't because either way, she's clearly messed up. If she didn't suffer any "real" trauma, than she likely has a genetic chemical imbalance. I mean--no one chooses to be depressed or mentally unstable. When I saw her sob in the courtroom, I felt that a life time of pain was surfacing, and I do believe she is remorseful for what she did.

Now, having said that--I do not in any way mean to suggest that she is excused. She committed heinous crimes, for which she should be punished. But, in my opinion, unlike Casey Anthony, I do think she deserves some psyche help when she's in prison. I think CA is beyond help or redemption, but I think MH still has a soul that can be saved. (I'm not Christian per se, but I do believe in many of the tenets of the religion.)

My compassion toward MH does not preclude my anger toward her. I feel both, with equal amounts of pain in my heart. As this case runs its course, information may come out to make me change my mind about her, but from what we know at this point, these are my feelings.

Thank you for reading.

Prisons were designed to rehabilitate but they are used now for punishment. There's not much help there or there wouldn't be such a high rate of recidivism. JMO

Allegedly. If it turns out she is innocent will be have pity then?
How are you so convinced she is innocent? Do you not believe the police have worked diligently in preparing their case against her? Do you honestly think they would arrest her without having adequate proof to back it up and to risk their own careers by this move? Would you be willing to let her babysit your children right now? Are you that convinced of her innocence?!

I have no pity for people who rape and murder children. I believe LE can prove their case and I pray she doesn't walk because one person on the jury feels sorry for her in any way.

I like to think of myself as an old and advanced soul. The bigger picture that we don’t all agree on…I too can agree with compassion and forgiveness, but I’m just not there yet. I know that my vision of a precious child Sandra was happily playing and not bothering anyone; doing what a child is suppose to do…and then came a monster. Sorry, but I’m not there yet…if ever. Thankfully, it really doesn’t matter how I feel, as long as justice is served for Sandra.

I agree and I won't get there if in fact it is proven that MH did what is being reported. Someone did it - and LE believes that someone is MH. If MH truly feels remorseful and she is guilty - she will plead guilty. If she allows this to go to trial, there will be no compassion from me. Sorry. I believe with her upbringing and her knowledge of right and wrong, that she should do the right thing.

From all her recent actions, including the swallowing of knife blades - all I see is more bids for attention. I'm not sure what all that means - is she crying out for help or does she just want to be noticed? I don't know, I'm no pyschologist. For now, I am watching and waiting and praying that MH does the right thing.

Salem

I am stating feelings, not facts. Feelings can not always be defended in a rational way. I interpreted MH's tears as sincere, and loaded with existential pain (maybe I'm seeing truth, maybe it's PMS--who knows--they're simply "feelings"). In contrast, CA has barely squeezed out a tear, and her attempts at conveying any emotion other than self-righteousness, seem very contrived to me. Again, these are not provable facts--they are admittedly, just my subjective "feelings".

Mouser - I respect your feelings and I also believe that emotions do not have to be rational - they are what they are (I'm very emotional :))

I would remind you though (with all good intent) that KC also cried at her arraignment and her bond hearing. And she shed tears, especially when her father was on the stand at the bond hearing. But, in my opinion, those tears were for herself and not for Caylee or her family which KC has destroyed in my opinion.

For me - watching MH at her arraignment, I am not convinced that the tears she shed were for anyone other than herself. Even when she flinched - I think she flinched at the "special circumstances" more than at the mention of Sandra's name. If she really is remorseful, she will plead guilty and spare the Chavez/Cantu families the pain of a trial.

Salem

Just want to point something out that I have noticed with what I have seen of MH. The crying in court did make many wonder if she was abused herself, was remorseful, etc. We really don't know. But when I think about her behaviour in the day or two before her arrest, remorse and shame do not make sense. Being local, I was privy to watching much of this on tv, reading the actual local paper. I know many of you have to rely on streaming video over the net. I'm sure you can understand, that when you live locally in a situation like this, you are SATURATED with news/info. So this is what I did and didn't see in MH just prior to her arrest.

MH seemed to be grandstanding.. she loved the attention of the press. She seemed friendly, willing to answer anything, and in control. After Jen Wadsworth at the Tracy press got her to talk and published it, other reporters called her, and she seemed to enjoy very much talking with them and giving them various versions of her story. She did not seem shameful, scared, or remorseful in any way. As a matter of fact, she seemed relaxed, and to be enjoying all the attention. She even texted the press that she was going down to the police station. The crying started after she got caught.

Because of this, I have a hard time buying the remosre angle. Plus if she were truly remorseful, she would plea guilty and get this over with. She strikes me as a very selfish, narcissitic person who borders on sociopathic (though I'm not sure that she is sociopathic). I believe she saw Sandra as an object to take her rage out on. I don't even know now if I believe that MH was molested in the past or not. I know i completely doubt the rape story. I think it was a way for her to get attention from her friends... very Munchausen-like (like another poster said). It has been reported that MH's daughter was examined and shows no sign of molest. MH may have never molested anyone.... she may not even be a pedophile. She may have just raged on that poor child and did whatever to inflict pain for that reason only. I think she was born with faulty wiring, and various stressors, hormones, etc, brought this to a head. I think she puts on a great act for others, while a monster lurks inside. I don't know that we will ever know the true motive for this, since whenever MH's lips are moving, she's lying. I do believe she is a danger to society and can never be rehabilitated. Regardless of the plea, sentence, etc, she needs to be locked up for life.

It doesn't surprise me that she is a cutter. I only pray nothing remotely related was done to Sandra.

I guess we knew the supposed "suicide note" from the sixth grade would come out after it was written about here, but I am surprised her old friends are taking the press route to "humanize" Melissa. Defending Melissa would not be on my list of things to do even if I knew her "back in the day".

Her being raped and having psychological problems would not account for the brutal sexual attack and murder of Sandra, imo. To try and lessen the burden of guilt in this case by people coming forward to speak of rapes or problems to me is almost like they are trying to justify what she supposedly has done.

I think MH is deeply disturbed. But what is stated in the article is really not that out of the ordinary. Many people go through the same things. This will sound bad, but if MH was charged with murdering her abusive boyfriend/ex-husband, I would be more "understanding." Her "symptoms" would add up more - abused, clinically depressed, self-mutilating woman flies into a rage and murders her alleged abuser.

But to be charged with the rape and murder of an 8 year old girl is an entirely different animal. I think it takes a certain pathos to even contemplate a crime like that. ESPECIALLY a mother. I am not wearing "gender blinders," but the pure biological fact is that men and women are different - and the act of pregnancy, child birth, and child rearing normally make women more sensitive to children. Its just pure biology - your body has evolved to be attached to and nurture your child. Yes there are awful women, but we would not survive as a species if women weren't "programed" to child-raising.

So IMO for a mother to do something like this, it takes much more than being sad about not making the dance team, and even a rape at 18. Something is OFF in her brain, or she endured some torture when she was younger. IMO even those situation would not excuse her. She knew right from wrong, she should pay the consequences. Personally I only think the insanity defense should be allowed for those who are mentally challenged (as in below a certain IQ functioning). So even if MH has a brain disorder, she can sit in jail and take her meds. Society can't function on excuses!

It doesn't surprise me that she is a cutter. I only pray nothing remotely related was done to Sandra.

I guess we knew the supposed "suicide note" from the sixth grade would come out after it was written about here, but I am surprised her old friends are taking the press route to "humanize" Melissa. Defending Melissa would not be on my list of things to do even if I knew her "back in the day".

Her being raped and having psychological problems would not account for the brutal sexual attack and murder of Sandra, imo. To try and lessen the burden of guilt in this case by people coming forward to speak of rapes or problems to me is almost like they are trying to justify what she supposedly has done.

Yes, SS! If I had known MH in the past and found out she did this, flapping my jaw to the press would be the LAST thing I'd do. I'd be mortified, glad that I no longer knew her, and happy that she didn't rage on me or my family! I also wouldn't want to call that type of attention to myself. I smell hidden agendas here.... paid interviews? Free trips to NYC to be on Today show? Book deals? hmmm

Allegedly. If it turns out she is innocent will be have pity then?

Melissa obviously played some role in the kidnapping, rape, and murder of Sandra Cantu. The police are fairly certain she committed this horrible act on her own. She has admitted Sandra's death was an accident and she covered up the crime, so no matter how you look at it, she isn't innocent. This beautiful, little girl would be alive today if not for Melissa's actions.

Just want to point something out that I have noticed with what I have seen of MH. The crying in court did make many wonder if she was abused herself, was remorseful, etc. We really don't know. But when I think about her behaviour in the day or two before her arrest, remorse and shame do not make sense. Being local, I was privy to watching much of this on tv, reading the actual local paper. I know many of you have to rely on streaming video over the net. I'm sure you can understand, that when you live locally in a situation like this, you are SATURATED with news/info. So this is what I did and didn't see in MH just prior to her arrest.

MH seemed to be grandstanding.. she loved the attention of the press. She seemed friendly, willing to answer anything, and in control. After Jen Wadsworth at the Tracy press got her to talk and published it, other reporters called her, and she seemed to enjoy very much talking with them and giving them various versions of her story. She did not seem shameful, scared, or remorseful in any way. As a matter of fact, she seemed relaxed, and to be enjoying all the attention. She even texted the press that she was going down to the police station. The crying started after she got caught.

Because of this, I have a hard time buying the remosre angle. Plus if she were truly remorseful, she would plea guilty and get this over with. She strikes me as a very selfish, narcissitic person who borders on sociopathic (though I'm not sure that she is sociopathic). I believe she saw Sandra as an object to take her rage out on. I don't even know now if I believe that MH was molested in the past or not. I know i completely doubt the rape story. I think it was a way for her to get attention from her friends... very Munchausen-like (like another poster said). It has been reported that MH's daughter was examined and shows no sign of molest. MH may have never molested anyone.... she may not even be a pedophile. She may have just raged on that poor child and did whatever to inflict pain for that reason only. I think she was born with faulty wiring, and various stressors, hormones, etc, brought this to a head. I think she puts on a great act for others, while a monster lurks inside. I don't know that we will ever know the true motive for this, since whenever MH's lips are moving, she's lying. I do believe she is a danger to society and can never be rehabilitated. Regardless of the plea, sentence, etc, she needs to be locked up for life.

Thanks for sharing your experiences here. This is very interesting. I had no idea she had become such a "media ho" before the arrest.

All I have seen of the before arrest video of Huckaby is her waving at the press when she was driving to the police station. I thought that was odd, because I wondered why the press would even have that shot. I wondered if they were just there in the park because of the murder and happened to catch her leaving. Now it seems, from what you say, she set up that photo op.

Really sick.

I know what I'm about to say will make me very unpopular here, but I feel I need to express it anyway. And please read this entire post, if you read it at all--before you write me off.

I do have some compassion for Melissa Huckaby. I think she is a very deeply troubled and lost soul. Though I believe she was most likely abused in one or more fashions during her youth, it really doesn't matter if she wasn't because either way, she's clearly messed up. If she didn't suffer any "real" trauma, than she likely has a genetic chemical imbalance. I mean--no one chooses to be depressed or mentally unstable. When I saw her sob in the courtroom, I felt that a life time of pain was surfacing, and I do believe she is remorseful for what she did.

Now, having said that--I do not in any way mean to suggest that she is excused. She committed heinous crimes, for which she should be punished. But, in my opinion, unlike Casey Anthony, I do think she deserves some psyche help when she's in prison. I think CA is beyond help or redemption, but I think MH still has a soul that can be saved. (I'm not Christian per se, but I do believe in many of the tenets of the religion.)

My compassion toward MH does not preclude my anger toward her. I feel both, with equal amounts of pain in my heart. As this case runs its course, information may come out to make me change my mind about her, but from what we know at this point, these are my feelings.

Thank you for reading.

Your compassion is what you DON'T have in common with Huckaby. If she had compassion, a child would still be skipping down the street anticipating the sweetness of a summer day. If she had compassion, she wouldn't have been waving at cameras while the parents of her victim cried with broken hearts that will never be mended.

You're projecting a lot into what you think Huckaby feels. You don't know what she feels. Don't be fooled just because you are a good person. There be monsters here.

There is nothing wrong with showing compassion for those who are suffering. Especially for those whom you may despise. It is the mark of a very wise and advanced soul.

Luke 6:35 "But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He Himself is kind to ungrateful and evil men.

Oh, puhleeze. Such obvious flattery is patronizing, you know.

Someone has probably already said this, but anyway......If she was wrongfully accused of this crime, why would she have said it was an accident?

If she were innocent, she would protest being accused and arrested at all, not trying to invent new ways to make the crime appear less heinous.

As far as her claim that she was raped by a cop....who knows?

I think she probably was raped. I expected to hear this and of more abuse. I also suspected she was a cutter. I think this murder could have been avoided . We need more resources for mental health aid. We need to not make it a tabu to seek that aid, people ARE wounded and they DO hurt. People have remarked over and over that this woman was off-course. Even the court apparently noticed. It's a shame, a real shame. I'm so sad and angry that Sandra Cantu is gone at 8 years old.

I agree. If she was raped, you would think that she would know the horror and pain and not then do this to a young innocent 8 year old girl. Now had she kidnapped the alleged police man who raped her and raped him with a foreign object then I might could squeeze a tad of sympathy out for MH. JMO

Why is it that so many feel sympathy towards a criminal when they see what appears to be remorse? IMO Melissa, like so many other murderers, don't reflect a person who has an ounce of empathy towards their victims when they take their life. So it would not make a lick of sense that they would suddenly show sympathy once they are arrested and charged. What does make sense is that they are grieving for themselves and the situation that they got themselves into. They are grieving for their own life ruined. They are upset because they got caught.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back