Hurricane Sandy updates

NYC considering shutting down mass transit before the storm hits. Wow...stock up on supplies my friends and be prepared to hunker down.

AccuWeather.com ‏@breakingweather
Lowest pressure ever in Atlantic City was 960 mb. Model shows 943 mb with Sandy. That's why we are worried.
mb = millibars, a metric measurement of the atmospheric pressure. This ain't good.

Living in NJ and I'm definitely not looking forward to Sandy coming our away. After Irene and last years freaky blizzard in October, we just cannot afford to deal with a storm that is potentially this strong. Sending my thoughts to all of those who are in Sandy's path! Stay safe fellow WS'ers.

Oh well here we go again. This will be the 3rd year that my hometown (Stamford, CT) will be hit with another non winter related major storm. In march 2010 we got hit big time with a un-named storm that devastated my area. We had no power for 9 days but luckily my home received no damage. In 2011 we had hurricane Irene. The damage in my city was not as bad, but had no power for 3 days. I guess I should be grateful for not receiving major damage and just inconvenienced. Praying for all in direct path.

I have a good friend in Seaford DE and if the latest landfall prediction proves correct that would put Seaford within maybe 30 miles of it. She's vacationing with her family in NC right now and they don't know whether to drive home and batten down, or what.

Not to scare anyone but the satellite shows how big this thing actually is...it's way out of the lines shown by the track.....Good luck for anybody in the path, get ready and stay safe!

picture.php

I have a good friend in Seaford DE and if the latest landfall prediction proves correct that would put Seaford within maybe 30 miles of it. She's vacationing with her family in NC right now and they don't know whether to drive home and batten down, or what.

I hope your friend and her family stay safe. That's about a 7 hour drive, if she's going to drive home, I suggest she get on the road ASAP!

I hope your friend and her family stay safe. That's about a 7 hour drive, if she's going to drive home, I suggest she get on the road ASAP!
Yes, just emailed her, they're about to start home, just getting the pets walked and ready before they launch off.

I know, DK...I know. Doesn't mean I'm good at it at all, but I know.

Still, I think I'll call her tonight (she doesn't watch the news much) and make sure she's aware of the storm. At the very least, she should go and get extra supplies and some batteries.

I hate the helpless feeling of being on the other side of the country...just hate it.

Best-
Herding Cats

..Oh dear!!! Here I am, worriedly reading through all the posts about this ferocious storm (I am in Nova Scotia, on the east coast), and then Peliman"s avatar appears..I just lost it..:) He looks like he is in the middle of the Frankenstorm!!! Oh my... I needed a little levity - thanks Peliman:)

HC, does your mom belong to a church or group that you could contact, to ask them to go make sure she has supplies, etc? Or perhaps her local senior group/council on aging/whatever her town calls it??

:hugs: I'm sure it's very hard to be so far away!!

I know, DK...I know. Doesn't mean I'm good at it at all, but I know.

Still, I think I'll call her tonight (she doesn't watch the news much) and make sure she's aware of the storm. At the very least, she should go and get extra supplies and some batteries.

I hate the helpless feeling of being on the other side of the country...just hate it.

Best-
Herding Cats

Tell her to stick to can goods, water, flashlights and batteries. They don't recommend candles because of risk of fire. I like those little flashlights that stick to the walls, I have them all over the house.

How bad is PA getting hit where I am at? I'm in North Central PA. Here is a map of where I am at. The A is where I live even though it doesn't say what town. Lol....

2d6l9d.jpg

Well, it's really getting gusty and finally starting to see some rain. It was so windy I had a Marilyn moment with my skirt..lol. It's just been very dark and dreary most of the day.

My Mom lives in NJ...she's preparing for the worst.

Will Langley, VA be affected? I know it's a ways inland but I have a kid there and I just want to make sure he's safe.

I have family in Va. (D.C. suburb), and in Maryland. I think those places will be safe, won't they?

Saying prayers for all who are potentially in harms way............

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back