Hurricane Sandy updates

AccuWeather.com ‏@breakingweather
Re Fla. Emergency manager: Coast flooding in St. Augustine, Fla. Water is getting over a sea wall south of the Bridge of Lions.

Will Langley, VA be affected? I know it's a ways inland but I have a kid there and I just want to make sure he's safe.

I have family in Va. (D.C. suburb), and in Maryland. I think those places will be safe, won't they?

Saying prayers for all who are potentially in harms way............

A large area is going to be effected from Virginia to Maine.

Anyone in the effected area should listen to weather alerts. They should stay away from the coast or river as there is the potential for flooding from heavy rain and storm surge.

204249W5_NL_sm.gif

Oh great, now I'm back in the cone. :waiting:

Do not focus solely on the cone as this storm will be very large with wind and rain regardless of where it makes landfall.

Something I'm having trouble finding is details on possible snow. Apparently there is some cold air moving down from Canada that is supposed to combine with the hurricane making snow possible in some areas... But I'm not finding much detail on those possibilities. I'm in an area that tends to get dumped on with snow so I'm fairly concerned about that part... :confused:

As far as I can tell FL escaped the worst of this storm. We're getting a good, soaking rain, but that's about all. Even so, look how far off shore this storm is and we're getting some strong winds and rain. Here's the forecast for the Orlando area:

Tonight: Considerable cloudiness with a chance of showers. Windy. Lows in the upper 60s. North winds 15 to 25 mph and gusty becoming northwest late. Chance of rain 30 percent. (30% my butt, it's pouring down rain right now, lol.)

Saturday: Partly sunny. A slight chance of showers through early afternoon. Windy. Highs in the lower 80s. Northwest winds 20 to 25 mph with gusts to around 35 mph. Chance of rain 20 percent.

Something I'm having trouble finding is details on possible snow. Apparently there is some cold air moving down from Canada that is supposed to combine with the hurricane making snow possible in some areas... But I'm not finding much detail on those possibilities. I'm in an area that tends to get dumped on with snow so I'm fairly concerned about that part... :confused:

Snow is more of a problem for Appalachians.

For Some, Sandy May Bring First Snow of the Year
http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/for-some-sandy-may-bring-first/693516

Not to scare anyone but the satellite shows how big this thing actually is...it's way out of the lines shown by the track.....Good luck for anybody in the path, get ready and stay safe!

picture.php

It is undergoing an extratropical transition. Sandy is going to get larger.

4 Days of this mess! Not looking forward to this at all, even if we do need the rain.

Thank you for the article. :blowkiss: puts my mind a bit more at ease, I keep remembering getting buried in the white stuff last Halloween!

Still, this won't be any less of a mess. Now I'm worried about the river nearby ... :sigh:

Last Halloween's storm was the wet snow, which is slushy and nasty. I do not want to drive with wet snow as it makes roads really slick.

Flooding is something I would take very seriously. Flooding is what kills people. It leaves a nasty mess as well.

A large area is going to be effected from Virginia to Maine.

Anyone in the effected area should listen to weather alerts. They should stay away from the coast or river as there is the potential for flooding from heavy rain and storm surge.

Thanks Hood for correcting my grammatical/spelling error.:blushing:
He is military so I feel like he will be safe but there is no doubt he will be working his tail off after this monster makes landfall.

Thanks Hood for correcting my grammatical/spelling error.:blushing:
He is military so I feel like he will be safe but there is no doubt he will be working his tail off after this monster makes landfall.

God bless your son serving the military.

Sandy is finally starting to pass us. Listening to all this wind today has been nerve racking.
I hope everyone is getting ready. All those dead limbs down etc. Its not going to be pleasant.

Weather events like these, I feel lucky to be sat here in the midwest, where we only have tornadoes and blizzards.

It isn't just the hurricane that's the issue, it's the "perfect storm" event that is extremely worrisome. The hurricane will run into 2 other strong weather systems at some point, and THEN become what they are calling "Frankenstorm" or "The Perfect Storm" When all weather 3 events collide, it could be armaggedon-like.

And my Delaware friends have made it home from North Carolina, and are eyeing events carefully as Sandy pushes north.

Here are the Perfect Storm (1991; a.k.a. the Halloween Nor'easter) and the 1938 New England hurricane (a.k.a. the Long Island Express or Yankee Clipper), from Wiki.

And my Delaware friends have made it home from North Carolina, and are eyeing events carefully as Sandy pushes north.

Here are the Perfect Storm (1991; a.k.a. the Halloween Nor'easter) and the 1938 New England hurricane (a.k.a. the Long Island Express or Yankee Clipper), from Wiki.

The 1938 New England Hurricane was a Category 5 at one point in the Atlantic. It was a quite a large hurricane. Hurricanes that go past the Carolinas get larger as they are undergoing extratropical transition as they lose their warm core and become cold core due to cooler waters at higher latitudes. They also move faster because of the jet stream.

Hurricane Decay: Demise of a Hurricane
http://www.hurricanescience.org/science/science/hurricanedecay/

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member