Found Deceased IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023 #3

Hypothetical Question: Let's say he voluntarily left to start a new life. If he had his name legally changed, would the police be able to find that out? If so, would they be obligated to tell his wife that he's been found, even if he wants no contact? Or would they be obligated to DS to keep it quiet? In other words, he's still missing, as far as the general public knows. (Hope that makes sense.)

I'm on the fence between foul play and voluntary disappearance, but the puzzle pieces just won't fit together for either scenario. Or any scenario, really! :(

Hypothetical Question: Let's say he voluntarily left to start a new life. If he had his name legally changed, would the police be able to find that out? If so, would they be obligated to tell his wife that he's been found, even if he wants no contact? Or would they be obligated to DS to keep it quiet? In other words, he's still missing, as far as the general public knows. (Hope that makes sense.)

I'm on the fence between foul play and voluntary disappearance, but the puzzle pieces just won't fit together for either scenario. Or any scenario, really! :(
You would have to petition a court for a legal name change, so yes, there would be record of it.

I think this is a likely possibility. Second possibility is he had someone pick him up and left voluntarily. The reason I keep going back to one of these two is the truck was left in the middle of the road going an opposite direction. I believe he knew if he pulled the semi over to the side of the road and left, it would not be noticed as soon as it being abandoned in the middle of the road. Having live piglets on board, they needed to be found ASAP. I believe the semi being left directly in the middle of a "paved" road was also done intentionally. He didn't leave it on a less traveled road such as a gravel road. The self-harm scenario would make sense since his wallet and cash were left in the truck. Who knows what the truth is. But it is incredibly sad, especially for his children.
There was no "side of the road" where he stopped. Also, this *is* a "less traveled road;" it literally turns to gravel just a ways further.

You can very easily read the news articles. It's not a rumor.
"Rumor" wasn't the right word. "Misinterpretation" would have been more accurate. DS's truck was parked in the northbound lane, facing north. His destination (where he was supposed to drop the pigs) was on the same highway, only it was south of the exit from I-20.

DS should have turned south on 71 after getting off of I-20. Instead, he turned north and continued for awhile before stopping in the lane.

Per KCCI News—the deceased body of an adult male was pulled from a vehicle that was found submerged in the middle of the Des Moines River. Just thought you all may be interested in case it turns out to be David…

Update: On Wednesday, investigators said they do not suspect foul play.

Really? Then Witness Protection program just went out the window...
Witness protection is a whole different thing than getting a name change.
If someone entered witness protection, which always seems to get mentioned in missing person cases, there would have been obvious events leading up to that. And I suspect the agencies involved would quash the missing person investigation. They certainly wouldn’t want the public looking everywhere for the person they are protecting.

Witness protection is a whole different thing than getting a name change.
If someone entered witness protection, which always seems to get mentioned in missing person cases, there would have been obvious events leading up to that. And I suspect the agencies involved would quash the missing person investigation. They certainly wouldn’t want the public looking everywhere for the person they are protecting.
I would think they would still make it look like somewhat of an effort to find the person. Which would also explain the “lack of caring” on the sheriff’s part. Also, at one point in one of the forums someone made the comment that SS’s fb posts are almost like she’s filling him in on the day to day.. idk…

Just curious, where are we getting info on the " lack of caring on the sheriff's part? Is it from SS? I watched an interview with the sheriff, very professional. If they are not updating her, they don't have to. Just my opinion, but they are probably updating with DS parents.

If David was for some reason placed into a Witness Protection program, he would have been given the option to include Sarah and his children, unless it was maybe Sarah he was being protected from. Which I don't think that is the case.

I don't think creating a potential hazard like staging a scene with a large semi truck with a load of pigs abandon in the middle of the highway would have been done either or allowing for a massive search by LE and the UCN to continue as it did.

JMO

Just curious, where are we getting info on the " lack of caring on the sheriff's part? Is it from SS? I watched an interview with the sheriff, very professional. If they are not updating her, they don't have to. Just my opinion, but they are probably updating with DS parents.
He was pretty snarky in the interviews I have watched, however, that’s why I have it in “”, because that is common comments from people.. I also don’t blame him for being sassy because he has a lot on his plate and all of SS’s followers calling him seems sort of inappropriate, imo.

He was pretty snarky in the interviews I have watched, however, that’s why I have it in “”, because that is common comments from people.. I also don’t blame him for being sassy because he has a lot on his plate and all of SS’s followers calling him seems sort of inappropriate, imo.
I would agree. LE is getting a lot of negative feedback on this, which I don’t think is fair. None of us have any idea how many man hours are being put into this. If there is nothing new to report or nothing they can report, that doesn’t mean they are not working on it. I’m sure they want answers as well.

I'm sure it didn't help that one of the main people criticizing LE, and encouraging others to do the same, was Sarah.

When she made accusations such as saying LE weren't trying hard to find David because of their past history of run-ins with him, that would frustrate even the saintliest of officers.

I would agree. LE is getting a lot of negative feedback on this, which I don’t think is fair. None of us have any idea how many man hours are being put into this. If there is nothing new to report or nothing they can report, that doesn’t mean they are not working on it. I’m sure they want answers as well.
Wouldn't surprise me if LE are currently putting in zero manhours. What more can they possibly do? Sheriff's department and DCI are criticized for not declaring this an abduction or whatever Sarah thinks it is, but they're not going to make stuff up just to suit her narrative. The only thing they can do now is keep the phone lines open and wait.

He came across as - errrr - super not positive to me. JMHO. I would not have a good feeling as the spouse of a missing person watching his interview - I was shocked by it as someone with no skin in the game.

Another body found, this one in Des Moines, Iowa. I am in the Des Moines metro and am sharing this just in case it may be David. (His home in Wall Lake is about 2 hours NW of Des Moines, for reference.)

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dcleavenger
Back