IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #27

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still trying to figure out how he gave televised interviews if he was incarcerated. :waitasec:

Welcome back Sapphire!!!!

I was watching a couple of videos after going through the timeline post that you posted (i hope i got that right - apologies if not) anyway, i saw this post & because DC had been wearing an orangey colour in a couple of the videos i had to go back and look to see what it was lol...

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2012/07/17/iowa-girl-went-missing-days-earlier?clusterId=60#videoplayer

This was what i was watching. I hope the link is ok to post but i just wanted to show what i had been watching (3 different related videos). I was fascinated at how Jane Velez- Mitchell & Nancy Grace asked questions and the reactions they got from the family they interviewed. I am talking body language, facial expressions, speed of speech. i had never seen either of them before (sheltered aussie)

I now have a better understanding of recent posts after seeing the interviews :)

I noticed that too! The interviews with sex offenders is what caught my eye - stating that they were basically taking place every day...however within the first 48 hours Abben had reported that all RSO's were "cleared".

So either Abben reported in error, or the area expanded daily on how far out the area of offenders they were interviewing. Maybe he meant the 10 locals had been cleared and they just kept widening their mileage of the areas "cleared".

I still hold strong on my opinion that anyone who was already on the registry likely didn't commit this. Quick DNA check would have had a hit on anyone in a database who is currently in there. I also don't think anyone who is on the registry would leave behind the girls clothing as it would be like leaving your picture right there at the scene.

BBm: Agree.

I'm sure Waterloo's SO were checked as well within those 5 days...and maybe Cedar Falls. Since the girls were found in Bremer County the new area had to expand. Not only would they check the ones still living there, but probably the ones who had been convicted and then moved some place else.

I think the perp's DNA is out there with felony charges, but not for a SO. Now LE has to work backwards to make all the pieces fit. If there were two, then just having one to "talk to" will get another name....and blame. IMO

BBM by me, What did I miss? That one flew right by me. tia

when the hunters found the girls bodies, they immediately called the family to meet at Edale city hall or police station (I forget which) and they could not find or get a hold of Dan until Friday.

I don't think anyone twisted your comments. I don't want to argue semantics, but it is pretty hard to twist what you said. Your post states that the police said that they think a specific person did it and is in jail now for 40 years.

We all know what you meant now, but I think it is pretty clear based on the above statement why things went a little haywire.

Oh... That helped a LOT!! :blushing: Thank you SOOOO much MNDad!! :what:I had NO idea what all of you were talking about from what I wrote. I backed up I don't know how many times, and I couldn't see where everyone was getting that from? And so MANY of you, too!! I couldn't understand how you all thought I said this guy was in jail for 40 years. DUH.. it was right THERE!!!! :banghead: I am so sorry!!!!!! Please forgive me :please:
It's that dumb cell phone of mine I told you about with the little keys that puts words in for me. When I start erasing the words it puts in that it thinks I mean, it makes it worse. I should have re-read what it put in, because in this case, you Websleuths are AWESOME damage control!!! lolol.. I could never have figured it out... :waitasec:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/24/wylma-cook-iowa-cousins_n_1699780.html

Quote: "David Mullin, a defense attorney for Jason Stolfus, who was arrested with Morrissey and faces the same charges, said the prosecutor told him Morrissey's plea agreement "fell through." He said police reports show Morrissey implicated his client in crimes after both were arrested in December. But he said Stolfus would not have a motive to take the children because he has been offered a favorable plea deal in which he would likely avoid prison."

http://www.kwwl.com/story/19152101/search-for-missing-girls-continues

"Morrissey and two others face drug charges related to that incident. Online court records show one of those people was supposed to go on trial Tuesday in Waterloo. Chelsea Beahr was suppose to be in court Tuesday on drug charges, but decided to plead guilty. Her sentencing is set for October 1st. She was arrested at the same time as Dan Morrissey and Jason Stolfus. Stolfus goes on trial next month. Last week, he didn't show up for a court appearance in a child support case."

So...This Stolfus guy is finally arrested 4 months later on 11/16/2012 for his "child support case", which is the day after Misty appears in court on her "cancelled" case.

Where was he for 4 months?
What happened with his drug case that was supposed to be in August ("next month")?
Did he or accomplices have the girls "alive" until his arrest on 11/16/2012, and then dispose of them for some reason afterwards?
Where is he NOW?

Jason Stolfus and acquaintences are not wannabee gangsta thugs! IMOO... He is a very scary hardened criminal with a rap sheet a mile long, who would do ANTHING to protect his investments and avoid going to prison!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcmV9uD81Vk&feature=youtu.be

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/24/wylma-cook-iowa-cousins_n_1699780.html

Quote: "David Mullin, a defense attorney for Jason Stolfus, who was arrested with Morrissey and faces the same charges, said the prosecutor told him Morrissey's plea agreement "fell through." He said police reports show Morrissey implicated his client in crimes after both were arrested in December. But he said Stolfus would not have a motive to take the children because he has been offered a favorable plea deal in which he would likely avoid prison."

http://www.kwwl.com/story/19152101/search-for-missing-girls-continues

"Morrissey and two others face drug charges related to that incident. Online court records show one of those people was supposed to go on trial Tuesday in Waterloo. Chelsea Beahr was suppose to be in court Tuesday on drug charges, but decided to plead guilty. Her sentencing is set for October 1st. She was arrested at the same time as Dan Morrissey and Jason Stolfus. Stolfus goes on trial next month. Last week, he didn't show up for a court appearance in a child support case."

So...This Stolfus guy is finally arrested 4 months later on 11/16/2012 for his "child support case", which is the day after Misty appears in court on her "cancelled" case.

Where was he for 4 months?
What happened with his drug case that was supposed to be in August ("next month")?
Did he or accomplices have the girls "alive" until his arrest on 11/16/2012, and then dispose of them for some reason afterwards?
Where is he NOW?

Jason Stolfus and acquaintences are not wannabee gangsta thugs! IMOO... He is a very scary hardened criminal with a rap sheet a mile long, who would do ANTHING to protect his investments and avoid going to prison!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcmV9uD81Vk&feature=youtu.be

Interesting post! Thanks for providing the links.

when the hunters found the girls bodies, they immediately called the family to meet at Edale city hall or police station (I forget which) and they could not find or get a hold of Dan until Friday.

Oh, interesting. Thanks!

Interviews, Interviews with sex offenders & poly's were many the first 5 days according to the timeline. jmo

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20120724/NEWS/120724029/0/usatodayarticle/?odyssey=nav|head

snipped from July 24 article:

FBI agents classified the girls’ disappearance as an abduction last week. This step changes the investigation from a search-and-locate to a criminal probe, said William Moulder, retired Des Moines police chief.

“This means some people are getting their rights read to them before they are interviewed,” Moulder said. “Everything law enforcement takes in is for evidence. The goal is still the same: Find the girls. But there is also the goal of catching the people who did this and convicting them.”

Not sure of the laws, but does this mean that they can still use the info they gathered from everyone in the days prior to them classifying it as an abduction? Every one after it was labeled as abduction was read their rights.

Here's the article about Dan not being found until Friday.

Snipped

Dan Morrissey, Lyric's father, could not be found by authorities before they broke the news. According to Cook, Dan knew the police were trying to make contact but was scared, as he faces a domestic abuse trial and trials for possession with intent to deliver methamphetamine and running a meth lab stemming from incidents before the disappearance.

"They finally did talk to him, I think, on Friday," Cook said. "He's OK. I talk to him every so often."

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...cle_0aa203df-f03c-5322-87b6-194cb70a60a1.html

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20120724/NEWS/120724029/0/usatodayarticle/?odyssey=nav|head

FBI agents classified the girls’ disappearance as an abduction last week. This step changes the investigation from a search-and-locate to a criminal probe, said William Moulder, retired Des Moines police chief.

“This means some people are getting their rights read to them before they are interviewed,” Moulder said. “Everything law enforcement takes in is for evidence. The goal is still the same: Find the girls. But there is also the goal of catching the people who did this and convicting them.”

Not sure of the laws, but does this mean that they can still use the info they gathered from everyone in the days prior to them classifying it as an abduction? Every one after it was labeled as abduction was read their rights.

Not a LE professional, but I'm pretty sure any time you say ANYTHING to LE it can always be used against you unless a judge throws it out. At least that is how I've always seen it on TV.:floorlaugh:

Here's the article about Dan not being found until Friday.

Snipped

Dan Morrissey, Lyric's father, could not be found by authorities before they broke the news. According to Cook, Dan knew the police were trying to make contact but was scared, as he faces a domestic abuse trial and trials for possession with intent to deliver methamphetamine and running a meth lab stemming from incidents before the disappearance.

"They finally did talk to him, I think, on Friday," Cook said. "He's OK. I talk to him every so often."

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...cle_0aa203df-f03c-5322-87b6-194cb70a60a1.html

1) He is supposed to be under supervision by his Parole Officer. Ummm...??

2) I would assume that the police would also have him under surveillance, given that he faces 5 40-year prison sentences that he was supposed to have gone on trial for 7 months ago. And seeing as they accused him of kidnapping and murdering his daughter. To do that, I'm assuming they believed he was capable of it at the time. Have they changed their mind? (And before anyone argues with me, NO, he has NOT been cleared. And yes, they publicly said he is not a suspect. I am referring to what actually happened and was reported in MSM back when they DID accuse him of the crime.) I am seriously losing faith in LE on this one.

3) Is that really what he was afraid of? He has ALREADY been arrested and is ALREADY facing trial (has a hearing this Friday) on those charges. Why would he be afraid of LE coming to see him about those old charges? Wonder what he was really afraid of.

I noticed that too! The interviews with sex offenders is what caught my eye - stating that they were basically taking place every day...however within the first 48 hours Abben had reported that all RSO's were "cleared".

So either Abben reported in error, or the area expanded daily on how far out the area of offenders they were interviewing. Maybe he meant the 10 locals had been cleared and they just kept widening their mileage of the areas "cleared".

I still hold strong on my opinion that anyone who was already on the registry likely didn't commit this. Quick DNA check would have had a hit on anyone in a database who is currently in there. I also don't think anyone who is on the registry would leave behind the girls clothing as it would be like leaving your picture right there at the scene.

I think Abben meant the 10 local RSOs had been cleared, not that the hundreds of RSOs in the Cedar River Valley had been cleared.

As for DNA... I don't know that they had any before the bodies were found. I can think of 10 different scenarios where the bicycles and purse were never touched by the perp.

As for whether any DNA was found with the bodies... time will tell.

There's also the fact that many offenders are not exactly the bright lights at the mall and they will repeatedly leave their fingerprints, their DNA and even their checkbook at crime scenes.

Yes.

Not everyone had their rights read to them before they were interviewed; it just meant more (not all) people had their rights read to them.

2) I would assume that the police would also have him under surveillance, given that he faces 5 40-year prison sentences that he was supposed to have gone on trial for 7 months ago. And seeing as they accused him of kidnapping and murdering his daughter. To do that, I'm assuming they believed he was capable of it at the time. Have they changed their mind? (And before anyone argues with me, NO, he has NOT been cleared. And yes, they publicly said he is not a suspect. I am referring to what actually happened and was reported in MSM back when they DID accuse him of the crime.) I am seriously losing faith in LE on this one.

3) Is that really what he was afraid of? He has ALREADY been arrested and is ALREADY facing trial (has a hearing this Friday) on those charges. Why would he be afraid of LE coming to see him about those old charges? Wonder what he was really afraid of.

1) Supervision usually means he has to call in to or see his supervising probation officer every so many days. So long as he makes his scheduled contacts, he's okay.

2) It is typical and usual in many crimes for the police to accuse people as a pressure tactic in interrogations. A lot of times, the police have absolutely no evidence but are trying to rattle the person being interrogated into saying something incriminating. I would not be at all surprised if Misty, Heather and Drew were also accused at some point during their interrogations.

The police can lie to witnesses and suspects about almost anything except their Constitutional rights. It puts the person under pressure. If that person is guilty, they may be rattled into saying something incriminating. If the person is not guilty, they may say something that points the way to the truly guilty person.

An example of the last: it is common in any crime with a perp unknown to the victim to ask the victim if they know anyone who might do such a thing to them. And quite often the victim says they can't think of anyone because they honestly cannot think of anyone who they believe would do such a thing. If you put that victim under pressure, though, sometimes a name pops out because the witness starts thinking in terms of opportunity rather than their own perception of character. The victim may not think that Joe Neighbour has the sort of character that would do something bad but under pressure, the witness suddenly remembers that Joe Neighbour did know where their emergency house key was kept...

I too doubt that Misty, Heather and Drew were accused of killing the girls last July (which is the time period we're talking about). Dan was accused of abducting the girls, not killing them.

BBM.

I don't think we know what they accused him of. Tammy's quote was:

"They have accused him," Brousseau said. "They told him they had proof that he did it."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/cops-suspect-dad-missing-iowa-girls-case-family/story?id=16810959

I get that. But they don't just accuse random people of killing the girls. They have to have a reasonable suspicion at the time that they actually did do it. Otherwise, why waste the time and energy? They didn't just bust into their hotel room in the middle of the night and accuse Dan of murdering his own kid because they thought it would be a good time. Yes, it is a common technique -- but one they only use on people they actually believe had motive and opportunity.

And I respectfully disagree -- I seriously doubt if Drew and Heather were ever accused of killing the girls by LE.

Obviously LE do not drag in every Tom, Drew and Heather off the street and accuse them of murdering their child. They did so with DM when interrogating him because at first blush, he was the obvious choice of a person with a criminal background and a convenient trial date coming up. These facts made him someone only an idiot (and I do not think LE are idiots) would NOT look at immediately as a potential suspect.

This behavior on the part of LE in the initial days of the investigation into girls' disappearance does not mean they legitimately thought he killed the girls, despite their accusations to the contrary. What it means is, he was someone who, if he did have anything to do with the disappearance, might cave and admit where he'd hidden them IF he WAS responsible for their disappearance.

I believe LE initially suspected (as many in the public thought at first) that DM had somehow initiated the girls disappearance in order to gain some advantage or delay his trial. If LE was unsure if that was what was going on, of course they would accuse him of killing them. If he had them somewhere, the only way to prove they weren't dead is to produce them and end the farce.

That did not happen. the girls were not secreted somewhere, playing video games and having a secret "sleepover" somewhere.

LE took an investigative gamble and hoped their bluff paid off. It didn't. The girls were likely already dead.

But here we are, all these months later and he has not been charged and he is not named a suspect nor even a POI at this point.

Further, if LE truly felt he was responsible, even slightly, do you think it likely that they would be temporarily unable to locate him upon discovery of the girls bodies? Because honestly, if LE truly feels he is responsible in any way for what was done to the girls, they would never have "lost track" of him while he is out on supervision.

MOO

folks: stop NOW with discussing family members. You can discuss what has been reported in the media but going beyond that is not allowed.

Very insightful post, IMO.

BBM - If LE did indeed accuse anybody of murder back in July, I commend them. GO LE !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member