IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is an article on KWWL.com about a special agent with DCI who received a special award for his work on the case. This man is working full time on the case.

There is an article on KWWL.com about a special agent with DCI who received a special award for his work on the case. This man is working full time on the case.

Thanks for the info.

Agent Roehrkasse has been assigned to this Evansdale case full time. He said it isn't a cold case and they keep actively working on it every day.

He says there were a couple of things he has taken away for working on this case.

"A couple things struck me as number one: how dark mankind can be but at the same time to watch an entire community really rally around a family. I mean these girls because our girls and we saw these families and these girls as if they were our own family members," said Roehrkasse.

http://www.kwwl.com/story/22078793/2013/04/25/2-black-hawk-co-national-crime-victims-rights-week

Thanks for the info.

Agent Roehrkasse has been assigned to this Evansdale case full time. He said it isn't a cold case and they keep actively working on it every day.

He says there were a couple of things he has taken away for working on this case.

"A couple things struck me as number one: how dark mankind can be but at the same time to watch an entire community really rally around a family. I mean these girls because our girls and we saw these families and these girls as if they were our own family members," said Roehrkasse.

http://www.kwwl.com/story/22078793/2013/04/25/2-black-hawk-co-national-crime-victims-rights-week

Ty Roses and M.PA.

It's good to know that there is an IA DCI agent working full time on the cousins' case.

Recently onbrd here, a poster said she felt as though there was a full time FBI agent working the case locally. Now I'm wondering if perhaps it's this DCI agent rather than an FBI agent? IDK... hopefully, there's a full time FBI agent, too.

Interesting comments...

This is copied over from a post I made in December, 2012

There's a decomposition formula: y = 1285/x, where x = the average temperature in centigrade and y = the number of days that it takes to become mummified or skeletonized. So ... 1285 divided by the ave.temp over 4-5 months at that location is approximately 1285/15. That means that after 85 days, there would be little more than mummification or skeletonization. It has been 4.5 months, so more than 100 days. That they were identified by clothing probably means that they were wearing their clothes and their hair appeared to be the right colour and length ... but I doubt that much else was left.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...gCQi2P&sig=AHIEtbRy_HrwLOQVSWLW5qzrNRAYoHqIdQ

evansdalelocated.jpg

evansdaleperplocation-1.jpg

I agree that they probably were skeletonized. I just hope they were found "in tact" and not missing parts.

Thank you for the maps.
You are so amazing with them.
This map brought to my attention how close 270th St is to the site further down from (or to the right of) the road LE used. All of the maps I looked at before looked like 270 turned or stopped at the edge of the field but this one looks like it continues on into the woods. Does it continue on to the river where it crosses to 270 on the other side? Is that where one of the bridges is out?

I tried to find out on a google map but it doesn't seem to show it going into the woods to connect to the other side. It does look like there could be a road or path going from 270 through the woods toward the bank at the bottom of the "u" right south of the site.

Has any of the locals even driven down 270 to where it crosses the river to see if there is possibly another cut off to the site? Does anyone live on that section of 270? Do we have a map that shows where all the seven bridges are located and which ones are out?

I agree that they probably were skeletonized. I just hope they were found "in tact" and not missing parts.

Thank you for the maps.
You are so amazing with them.
This map brought to my attention how close 270th St is to the site further down from (or to the right of) the road LE used. All of the maps I looked at before looked like 270 turned or stopped at the edge of the field but this one looks like it continues on into the woods. Does it continue on to the river where it crosses to 270 on the other side? Is that where one of the bridges is out?

I tried to find out on a google map but it doesn't seem to show it going into the woods to connect to the other side. It does look like there could be a road or path going from 270 through the woods toward the bank at the bottom of the "u" right south of the site.

Has any of the locals even driven down 270 to where it crosses the river to see if there is possibly another cut off to the site? Does anyone live on that section of 270? Do we have a map that shows where all the seven bridges are located and which ones are out?

In the past, there was a bridge on 270 Street that continued East to the city of Fairbank. Sometime in 1993 (the best I can figure), during a flood, that bridge collapsed.

Prior to the bridge collapse, Seven Bridges County Park was a popular recreation spot with organized activities for children/youth (picnic, water sports). With the bridge collapse, park use stopped.

The road is no longer used, but it looks like it is still there ... in looking at the google maps, on the East side of the river, it seems to curve North to the river bank.

Does anyone know if ducks or geese nest in rye grass and oats? I wonder if that will do the trick ... rye grass and oats to prevent erosion ... in water. I guess a horticulturalist or waterways expert must have recommended this as a solution for erosion in a leech infested lake. I know nothing about it, but perhaps Drew knows about things like this? I know he works with trees, but does that mean he studied something related?

"The next steps will include planting rye grass and oats along the base of the island to prevent erosion, staking off where the shelter and gazebos will be built, pouring the concrete pads they will sit on and starting the building, Frickson said."

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...cle_f5159aea-a66d-585f-9ee4-cb029e931050.html

In the past, there was a bridge on 270 Street that continued East to the city of Fairbank. Sometime in 1993 (the best I can figure), during a flood, that bridge collapsed.

Prior to the bridge collapse, Seven Bridges County Park was a popular recreation spot with organized activities for children/youth (picnic, water sports). With the bridge collapse, park use stopped.

The road is no longer used, but it looks like it is still there ... in looking at the google maps, on the East side of the river, it seems to curve North to the river bank.

If that is the bridge that collapsed, what difference would it make to the enjoyment of the park? The main 270 road into the park is still there and the park itself is still there and it looks like a nice place.

Since the park died down when the bridge was gone, does that mean that most of the people who enjoyed the park were from across the river? Is that another county?

Also, with the bridge gone, it sounds like 270 is now a dead end road that no one normally travels and someone would have a lot less chance of being seen by anyone enjoying the park itself. That's why it would be interesting to know if there are any pull offs from the road, especially one big enough for a vehicle of some sort?

If that is the bridge that collapsed, what difference would it make to the enjoyment of the park? The main 270 road into the park is still there and the park itself is still there and it looks like a nice place.

Since the park died down when the bridge was gone, does that mean that most of the people who enjoyed the park were from across the river? Is that another county?

Also, with the bridge gone, it sounds like 270 is now a dead end road that no one normally travels and someone would have a lot less chance of being seen by anyone enjoying the park itself. That's why it would be interesting to know if there are any pull offs from the road, especially one big enough for a vehicle of some sort?

The collapse of the 270 Street bridge resulted in a closure of the park due to disuse. I read that prior to the bridge collapse, there were youth classes at 7 Bridges County Park and it was a watercraft (like canoes) recreation area. Fairbanks is closer than Evansdale (which is about twice as far away) and the population of Fairbanks probably used the park - kept it popular. It was also a popular weekend picnic area and bird sanctuary (herons, etc.). The golf course is also on 270 Steet ... near 7 Bridges County Park.

I don't think there's a pull-off from 270 Street that would get anyone closer to where the remains were found than the road into 7 Bridges Park. In fact, the park road seems to provide ample privacy. From what I can see in the maps, there's no way to get to the location where the remains were found from the East side of 270 Street.

Fairbanks is nearby and it's a good sized place.

Hope this link works: http://www.bing.com/maps/#JndoZXJlM...lMzUuNTQzMzY0MTkxNTM3NSU3ZS0xNTMuNjk4NjY5NDMz

What cause of death would be difficult to determine if the girls' bodies were skeletonized?

Strangulation (statistically most likely cause of death in child abduction and murder)

Smothering

Poison

Drugs

Stabbing (if knife did not strike bones and leave mark)

Any other possibilities?

Thanks for looking for me.

It was just a thought that the 270 on the west side of the river could have been an option as an easier way to get to where the girls were found. At least it looked close on the map.
I agree that the east side of the river would be too hard. They would have to go across that island and cross the river twice.

Also, wanted to open up the possibility of someone from that area to be familiar with the park.

I guess this is what the memorial will look like, except there will be water fowl grasses (?), small bushes and a fountain. The blue spruce was also mentioned in early articles. Does anyone know whether a tree with a root like that would grow well in that soil? The blue spruce root would grow well below the water level. Would the fluxuating water levels make a difference with coniferous trees? We know that elm, and ash, trees grow naturally on the Island.

I really like berry bushes - from being a child. What berries grow naturally in Iowa?

Here's some 7 Bridges County Park images I put together sometime around December.

... didn't find the one I was looking for ...

I think berries would be a wonderful idea. It looks like quite a variety of berries grow in Iowa:

http://www.pickyourown.org/IAharvestcalendar.htm

Maybe locals with overgrown berry patches can donate a planting day too, just like the high school in Waterloo ... edible things.

Perhaps the organizing committee will consider connecting the Island development/vision with environmental education day programs for local schools. School children could learn about edible plants, ornithology, water ecology ... I wonder if the organizing committee has considered that possiblilty in the overall plan ... it would be a good use for the shelter that is being added to the Island.

And ... someone mentioned a Community Garden for elementary children a few posts back ... I think that's a fantastic idea. A community garden could be planted and maintained until school was finished ... I'm sure lots of people would be happy to harvest the edible things.

I wonder if there is a plant that kills leeches.

Maybe locals with overgrown berry patches can donate a planting day too, just like the high school in Waterloo ... edible things.

Perhaps the organizing committee will consider connecting the Island development/vision with environmental education day programs for local schools. School children could learn about edible plants, ornithology, water ecology ... I wonder if the organizing committee has considered that possiblilty in the overall plan ... it would be a good use for the shelter that is being added to the Island.

And ... someone mentioned a Community Garden for elementary children a few posts back ... I think that's a fantastic idea. A community garden could be planted and maintained until school was finished ... I'm sure lots of people would be happy to harvest the edible things.

I wonder if there is a plant that kills leeches.

BBM

Boy, that sure would be handy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members