IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if any progress was made on these "significant number of leads"?

Originally Posted by threecrazykids
I had never seen this article that was posted earlier.

http://www.kwwl.com/story/20025811/special-report

SBM

Gerard Meyers, Special Agent in Charge of the Crime Against Children's Task Force, has been a part of the investigation since the beginning.

"There was some information that we found on the computers but I'm not at liberty to speak to that. It was definitely a successful result, but it wasn't a smoking gun or we would have the case closed. But it's definitely resulted in a significant number of leads," Meyers said.

I wonder who's computer these "significant number of leads" were found on...and whose use on said computer gave them a lead.

Even moreso THIS:
The main focus of the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation's Crime Against Children's Task Force is investigating digital communication between children and potential abductors.

The point of bringing them in was to look into communication between one of the girls and an abductor? Or are these people brought in to investigate the computers in general when a child is missing?

If they were brought in AFTER the computers were taken from the families I wonder if they had a lead from one of the girls and a potential perp? I can't see the original date of the article...this was updated in Nov.

Not to be snarky, but somehow the following doesn't comfort me. We've recently learned that in the Cleveland case Castro & Castro family members attended searches and vigils regarding two of the three women he enslaved. Yet, that didn't seem to assist LE with finding these women.

Originally Posted by cindersoot
I recieved a response this morning from Tony Thompson. Here is what it said.

The memorial is getting press attention .... the investigation is not. This is intentional. This is by no means a cold case, and leads continue to be followed weekly. I can tell you nothing more to preserve the integrity of the investigation. Just because we are not saying anything doesn't mean we aren't doing anything, and the public opinion takes a back seat to the security of this investigation. Sorry Tony.

What has occurred in Ohio is wonderful, yet alarming that it was going on for so long and LE was clueless. The case makes one realize that the perp can be anyone, a sociopath can wear many faces. I feel that the killer of our girls lives amongst the community and when he is caught it will be a shock to a lot of people. A shock because they never would of suspected such a nice man doing such a dirty deed.

To be fair, this type of abduction is very, very rare. Most abducted girls end up like Lizzie and Lyric. :(

However, it seems to be an increasing phenomenon. There are probably kidnapped women all over America, heck, all over the world.

Every crime that occurs will help build awareness on others. Soon, LE will be taking reports of naked girls in backyards on leashes far more seriously than in the past. Policies will be changed, lessons will be learnt (hopefully) and more girls will be rescued by alert neighbours as we become more educated on what to look for.

God Bless those who came to Amanda's rescue, too many would turn a blind eye. This neighbourhood sounds like people do care, and did notice. It's LE that really needs to learn from their mistakes on this one.

Hate to even go there, but it may be one of their own. Who knows more about covering up? Could this be the reason they were "selected" to be in the study? The reason NOONE is talking if they did know or had suspensions?

From Foxbluff's link:
The study will examine two key components of organizational behavior --- internal and external indicators --- through agency records, as well as surveys of police employees and community members.

bbm - I hadn't had that thought... and, gads, like you I don't want to even go there in spite of the fact that there have been cases where a LE officer was involved... such a prime example of people saying (aft an arrest) "omg, that's the last person I would have suspected!!!"

Now that I'm considering it as a possibility and since we know nothing and, therefore, have to consider everything at this point, I'm not "feeling it" in this case for whatever reason.

Underlined above and adding another quote from subj link: "A total of 100 departments from nearly 18,000 agencies nationwide have been selected for this study." Why WATERLOO?!?!?

I'm not complaining you understand, but am rather stunned that Waterloo Police Dept. would happen to be one of 100 chosen from 18,000 agencies in the nation !!

How did we "luck out" on that one?!?!?

O/T and on the lighter side of the law. Ohhh if only they could all be this easy...

Facebook Posting Leads to Arrest of Dunkerton Teen for Vandalism

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/fa...c-11e2-afdf-0019bb2963f4.html?oCampaign=email

DUNKERTON, Iowa —A Dunkerton teen has been arrested for crashing a gate at a Black Hawk County park.
<snipped>
Devin Timothy Trumbley, 18, of 105 W. Sycamore St., was arrested Wednesday for fourth-degree criminal mischief, a misdemeanor.

Deputies said Trembley drove his Ford F-150 pickup into the metal fence at Bruggeman Park in an attempt to enter the park on May 3.
<snipped>
Trumbley posted photos of the damage to the gate and to his truck on Facebook, said Capt. Rick Abben of the sheriff’s office.

I was abt to logoff the net for today when I saw this update on the above referenced story/link:

Capt. Rick Abben with the sheriff’s office said the park was gated due to budget constraints. Vehicle traffic is prohibited, but people can still use the area for walking and bicycling.

There is another letter to the editor in today's Waterloo Courier about not forgetting the other angels who have been abused, molested, and murdered in the Cedar Valley. The writer would like a memorial built for them, too.

There is another letter to the editor in today's Waterloo Courier about not forgetting the other angels who have been abused, molested, and murdered in the Cedar Valley. The writer would like a memorial built for them, too.

Exactly what I'm afraid of.

I work for the city, every so often a roadside memorial pops up, a cross and flowers, at a spot someone died in their car.

The City tends to leave these until someone complains. Some of them sit there forever, and can be quite distracting as they tend to be on busy corners.

While everyone feels so badly for the loved ones, the sad fact is things like this do happen - it's called life. The cemetaries are full of deceased people who got there in all sorts of ways, all tragic losses for somebody who loved them.

I guess what I think is, why do some claim their losses are more tragic and more noteworthy than anyone elses? And why does the City allow public places to be claimed like this, as if they are?

If we all erected public monuments to our lost loved ones, the place would be littered as far as the eye can see.

I'm uncomfortable with public shows of private grief that affect the majority, whether its a roadside cross or a renamed park.

The other kids are from the Des Moines area, Johnny Gosh and another boy. I talked about some girls that were murdered in the 70's earlier. The killer never found.

There was actually a third case in Des Moines a year after Eugene Martin and two years after Johnny Gosch. I cant remember the name, unfortunately. But I watched a documentary a few months ago about Gosch, and they mentioned him. I had never heard of this kid!?! Just goes to show about how vocal the parents are makes a big difference. The case in Cleveland is a shining example. Michelle Knight's own brother didn't know she was missing!! Her mom reported her missing supposedly, but there was no picture available??? That is just sad. And Castro kept the missing posters on the wall in the house.... but none of Michelle. Not to mention the other horrible things he did to her. I just want to go and give her a big hug.

But I digress....

To be fair, this type of abduction is very, very rare. Most abducted girls end up like Lizzie and Lyric. :(

However, it seems to be an increasing phenomenon. There are probably kidnapped women all over America, heck, all over the world.

Every crime that occurs will help build awareness on others. Soon, LE will be taking reports of naked girls in backyards on leashes far more seriously than in the past. Policies will be changed, lessons will be learnt (hopefully) and more girls will be rescued by alert neighbours as we become more educated on what to look for.

God Bless those who came to Amanda's rescue, too many would turn a blind eye. This neighbourhood sounds like people do care, and did notice. It's LE that really needs to learn from their mistakes on this one.

But did the police really make mistakes in this case??? True, they weren't the ones that found her, but how could they have if no one knew they were there?? And the reports where people said they called the police. Easy enough to verify. I read that the police were NOT called when the neighbor saw the naked woman in the backyard. The girl only told her mom, and the mom didn't call. And another neighbor said the police came after he called, knocked on the door about 20 times, nobody answered so they left. Well, of course they left!! What are they going to do, break the door down? With so many isolated incidents, who would have even guessed what horrors were inside??

The thing I'm wondering in all of this, were there any survellience cameras?? Didnt they disappear near stores? And Gina got in a car with her friends dad (Castro). Who wouldn't have?? They all knew him as the cool bus driver.

There ARE lessons to be learned here, for sure. Like being vigilant and taking action. Everybody. All the time.

But did the police really make mistakes in this case??? True, they weren't the ones that found her, but how could they have if no one knew they were there?? And the reports where people said they called the police. Easy enough to verify. I read that the police were NOT called when the neighbor saw the naked woman in the backyard. The girl only told her mom, and the mom didn't call. And another neighbor said the police came after he called, knocked on the door about 20 times, nobody answered so they left. Well, of course they left!! What are they going to do, break the door down? With so many isolated incidents, who would have even guessed what horrors were inside??

The thing I'm wondering in all of this, were there any survellience cameras?? Didnt they disappear near stores? And Gina got in a car with her friends dad (Castro). Who wouldn't have?? They all knew him as the cool bus driver.

There ARE lessons to be learned here, for sure. Like being vigilant and taking action. Everybody. All the time.

There are just too many claims (numerous claims) from all sorts of people
having contacted LE over the years, any one of which could easily have
lead to the perp. None were followed up on for all practical purposes... the
Courts did not even follow up on serious charges with life at stake ... all
blame the system being clogged which I have no doubt it is ... which has
become a perpetual state of affairs ... all favoring the criminal. And the
criminal is well aware of the advantage he has!

Everyone needs to slow down and smell the roses imho ... or people may
miss Tomorrow until it has passed and is over with and unrecoverable!

I thought it was strange that Castro's son wrote an article about the disappearance of one of the girls.

I too heard that there was no record of any incident involving a naked woman crawling around on all fours in the back yard. The families of the victims and now survivors of this tragedy had only praise for law enforcement. I feel like I :footinmouth: regarding my comment LE failed these women for not following up on leads when they did follow-up on the only incident that was phoned in. It's just a dangerous world and there are people who want to hurt, maim and kill their fellow human beings. Being vigilant and speaking up when you see something strange is great advice!

Just checking....thinking of these two little girls and hope there is an end to this soon.

There was actually a third case in Des Moines a year after Eugene Martin and two years after Johnny Gosch. I cant remember the name, unfortunately. But I watched a documentary a few months ago about Gosch, and they mentioned him. I had never heard of this kid!?! Just goes to show about how vocal the parents are makes a big difference. The case in Cleveland is a shining example. Michelle Knight's own brother didn't know she was missing!! Her mom reported her missing supposedly, but there was no picture available??? That is just sad. And Castro kept the missing posters on the wall in the house.... but none of Michelle. Not to mention the other horrible things he did to her. I just want to go and give her a big hug.

But I digress....

Marc James Warren Allen, Johnny and Eugene were all paper boys. I would think there would be some sort of a connection between all three?

There were 4 girls all taken from the same immediate area.

We know Amanda and Gina were abducted, as did LE.

Everybody suspected the cases were connected, and the perp was clearly a local.

It doesn't seem too much of a stretch for an alert police force to be still looking for 4 girls who went missing in their jurisdiction...they keep assuring us they are...:(

Factor in that this man was the father of Gina's best friend.

He probably should have been looked at hard way back when she first went missing, but obviously wasn't.

We also know he has a history of violence and imprisoning his wife, which every one also seems to have turned a blind eye too.

Do I expect LE to break down doors of innocent people? No.

Do I expect LE to follow up hard on abducted 14 year olds and alarming reports of possibly abused and captive women and screams for help in the same locality as the abductions of 4 young women?

Yes.

:banghead:

Students and staff from the school were on hand to help take down the ribbons Friday morning. They then took the ribbons back to the school and shredded them. The shredded ribbons will be placed in mesh bags and hung in trees.

“Birds can take them and make nests out of them,” said Dona Frickson, a volunteer with the Angels Memorial group. The group is creating a lasting memorial on the island at Myers Lake to the girls and others.

Every morning when I drive through Evansdale and see the ribbons, which are looking pretty bad (dirty and frayed) I always think how depressing it is going to be to take them down....just so final. I guess this way is better then taking them down and throwing them away like old decorations...:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wmarengel