IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #36

Status
Not open for further replies.
LE has stated they were interested in finding whomever owned the white SUV that was spotted by 3 different people parked next to the wooded area by the back side of Meyer's Lake - but never specifically stated this person is who is responsible for the abduction.

As far as LE not finding the vehicle - I agree. I stated my thoughts on that just before your post. SOMEONE has to know someone who drives a vehicle that fits this description. My theory is that someone DOES know, they just don't want to believe this person is capable of such an act.

The park where the girls bodies were found is so remote that only a local would know how to get to it.
And miraculously this vehicle wasn't driven prior to or after their abduction/murder. Which to me could mean a vehicle that had been stored (possibly in a farm building or shed) for quite some time - but maybe still ran.

Maybe this person had access to this vehicle in some capacity...be it a farm hand, grandparents farm, or some situation where the vehicle isn't regularly driven and could be taken and returned without notice.

BBM About the only scenario I can suggest involving an out-of-towner would be a hunter that had been invited to the park to hunt with locals or perhaps some type of hiker that found his way through there.

BBM About the only scenario I can suggest involving an out-of-towner would be a hunter that had been invited to the park to hunt with locals or perhaps some type of hiker that found his way through there.

Exellent theory! Great to have a new set of eyes looking at it!

BBM Pardon my dumb questions but I'm new to this case and playing catch up on information. What LE article are you referring to?

Also, is it a sure thing that the perp's vehicle is a white SUV? If so, I find it very odd that LE hasn't found the vehicle or even knows who all owns an older white SUV in the area. There are ways the DMV can identify all of them in the immediate area. Plus, in smaller venues like this community, LE tends to know a lot about vehicles in their community.

Thanks for your patience!

LE has never confirmed a specific date of death to my knowledge. They did state that the girls had likely been there since within 48 hours of their abduction based on state of the remains.

Some have extrapolated out from there that it is possible that the girls were kept alive during the first 48 they were missing. And it is

It is equally possible that the ME, when dealing with what were probably at least partially skelatonized remains, was not able to give specific date/time of death but rather a window of time.

Well, according to this article that I was referring to in my post last night, the family was told the girls were most likely killed within a few days of their disappearance. Of course, everything can be construed by an individual's interpretation, and I myself am guilty of forming opinions based on these types of statements, when really, it's all subject to interpretation.

However, LE did not indicate they were killed right away, as is so often the case in these situations, as we know, the whole killed within 3 hours of abduction thing certainly is brought up repeatedly in these cases. One could argue that 3 hours would also qualify within the "few days" term used here.

As for the white SUV, LE stated the driver was not a suspect, that they wanted to question him. But, he has never come forward, and to me, that is very suspicious. LE was searching the backs of White SUV's at roadblocks early in the case.

Family members have said they were told by law enforcement officials that the girls most likely were killed within a few days of their disappearance, but authorities have declined to say whether that is the case.

The girls’ bodies have not yet been released to their families, officials said.

Dennis Klein, a deputy state medical examiner, said most of the work on the bodies has been completed but there are still some tests being conducted.

It is not uncommon for such examinations to take several weeks, especially if a body has decomposed, said William Moulder, retired Des Moines police chief and a law enforcement consultant.

http://archive.desmoinesregister.co...ansdale-cousins-deaths-will-kept-confidential

Does anyone else see the benefit of tagging older white SUV's according to some set of criteria that we establish, in a methodical fashion, from specific geographical areas in Evansdale etc?

The google map pictures were taken in August 2012. It is POSSIBLE that the perp's vehicle was placed in a side yard, etc., given that was just after the abduction.

I would be willing to start a new thread in the basement for this task. It would be time consuming and like a needle in a haystack, but, could possibly be worthwhile. I would gather all known facts about the white SUV from the case threads and MSM and go from there.

Anyone?

LE has stated they were interested in finding whomever owned the white SUV that was spotted by 3 different people parked next to the wooded area by the back side of Meyer's Lake - but never specifically stated this person is who is responsible for the abduction.

As far as LE not finding the vehicle - I agree. I stated my thoughts on that just before your post. SOMEONE has to know someone who drives a vehicle that fits this description. My theory is that someone DOES know, they just don't want to believe this person is capable of such an act.

The park where the girls bodies were found is so remote that only a local would know how to get to it.
And miraculously this vehicle wasn't driven prior to or after their abduction/murder. Which to me could mean a vehicle that had been stored (possibly in a farm building or shed) for quite some time - but maybe still ran.

Maybe this person had access to this vehicle in some capacity...be it a farm hand, grandparents farm, or some situation where the vehicle isn't regularly driven and could be taken and returned without notice.

It would seem worthwhile to go door-to-door in a specific geographical radius with flyers, LE could do a canvas, or do DMV records searches on homes within a specific geographical radius of the park, the girls home and the recovery site, to determine ownership of white SUV's.

Does anyone else see the benefit of tagging older white SUV's according to some set of criteria that we establish, in a methodical fashion, from specific geographical areas in Evansdale etc?

The google map pictures were taken in August 2012. It is POSSIBLE that the perp's vehicle was placed in a side yard, etc., given that was just after the abduction.

I would be willing to start a new thread in the basement for this task. It would be time consuming and like a needle in a haystack, but, could possibly be worthwhile. I would gather all known facts about the white SUV from the case threads and MSM and go from there.

Anyone?

I would gladly join - but I am HORRIBLE with not only directions, but google maps. I know there were quite a few people who spent hours, if not days searching every nook and cranny within Evansdale on google maps for white suv's. I can only assume that some may have done the same after the girls were found (looked closer to Readlyn).

Anything we can do to locate a vehicle of that description is worth a shot.

This morning I was trying to find news articles/police blogs etc. with any reference to this type of vehicle and traffic violations such as driving with expired inspection sticker, or expired tags. I did not have any luck. I would think the FBI would have access to DMV records, I sent an e-mail pointing that out. I did get a reply but it was the standard, "thank you for your interest" line.

Well, according to this article that I was referring to in my post last night, the family was told the girls were most likely killed within a few days of their disappearance. Of course, everything can be construed by an individual's interpretation, and I myself am guilty of forming opinions based on these types of statements, when really, it's all subject to interpretation.

However, LE did not indicate they were killed right away, as is so often the case in these situations, as we know, the whole killed within 3 hours of abduction thing certainly is brought up repeatedly in these cases. One could argue that 3 hours would also qualify within the "few days" term used here.

As for the white SUV, LE stated the driver was not a suspect, that they wanted to question him. But, he has never come forward, and to me, that is very suspicious. LE was searching the backs of White SUV's at roadblocks early in the case.

http://archive.desmoinesregister.co...ansdale-cousins-deaths-will-kept-confidential

This is why I love this site. Because you will remind me and I will remind you of when we are interpreting differently.

Keeps us both honest :)

I didn't know this, and I am sorry if this is a repeat, however, if this is true, then the girl's bodies were not at the recovery location long at all.

This hunter also talks about how he used to log in the wildlife area, and skid the logs down the winding river along the ice.

Just a couple of days before the bodies of missing Iowa cousins Elizabeth Collins and Lyric Cook were discovered, a retired Readlyn firefighter shot a deer with a bunch of buddies in the vicinity of where the bodies were found on Dec. 5.

Bob Meyer, a retired firefighter and a grandfather, said the discovery at 7 Bridges Wildlife Area, has rattled the community with the knowledge that their own backyard has been compromised. Once a popular park, the area is now a wildlife preserve, said Bremer County Conservation Director Frank Frederick

MISSING NO MORE: Readlyn man hunted near site where Evansdale cousins were found

MISSING NO MORE: Readlyn man hunted near site where Evansdale cousins were found - YouTube

because someone was in the same general area in the days or weeks prior and did not find the body does not equal the bodies were not there.

The vicinity is heavily wooded, overgrown, unkempt and little used nowadays. So someone could conceivably walk right next to a corpse and if there was no odor to get their attention they may not even notice it.

MOO based on supporting links and lengthy discussions from threads and threads back when the girls were first found.

because someone was in the same general area in the days or weeks prior and did not find the body does not equal the bodies were not there.

The vicinity is heavily wooded, overgrown, unkempt and little used nowadays. So someone could conceivably walk right next to a corpse and if there was no odor to get their attention they may not even notice it.

MOO based on supporting links and lengthy discussions from threads and threads back when the girls were first found.

Thread 32 actually.

I get all that, and did not participate in the discussion at the time, however it is a useful video for anyone wishing to view the recovery location if nothing else. Also, it does emphasize the point that others did indeed go in those woods, and anyone putting the girls bodies there was almost certainly dressed in hunter garb.

Maybe it's just me and where I am familiar with in Canada, but, the woods in this video are certainly not very overgrown compared to what we have here. That ground would be easily gone over by an experienced woodsman.

JMO

Not sure where one would find the article now, but I do remember reading that if the hunters had walked a few feet in either direction they would have missed seeing the bodies.

Hey all, you guys are good! I followed this case in the beginning, never posted and haven't followed closely for awhile, but I wanted to thank you all for the excellent posts, ideas, and opinions. Most of all, I admire how all who participate in this case have kept it going strong for so long with no updates from LE!

I hope this case will be solved soon.

Regarding the white SUV - since the sightings by the 3 different witnesses were for 2 locations pertinent to the case, and the time range of 1 hour prior to their last known activity, it is certainly of interest and worth repeating, IMO.

Authorities on Monday morning said they have three separate witnesses who say they saw a white, older-model, full-size SUV-type vehicle -- similar to a Chevy Suburban or a Ford Bronco -- parked on Arbutus Avenue on July 13.

Investigators want to speak with the person or persons in the vehicle or anyone who has frequented the Meyers Lake area in a similar vehicle.

The person or persons in the vehicle should not be considered a suspect or person of interest at this time, but may have information about the case, officials say.

Arbutus Avenue meets up with the bike trail near Meyers Lake, where Lyric and Elizabeth's bikes were found.

Two of the witnesses say they saw the white SUV parked between these two bike trail signs.

The other witness told police they saw the vehicle parked near the woods on the east side of the lake -- only a few hundred feet from where the bikes were found.

All of three of these individuals say they saw this SUV between the times of 11:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. on July 13, 2012.

Authorities hope this may jog people's memory and they may get more information with this tip now out in the public.

"There (are) just a lot of reports, a lot of information to read through," said Mike Roehrkasse with the Iowa Department of Criminal Investigation. "Now that there's a little bit of a lull, we are able to start pouring through those reports and make those connections."

"I think, and I hope, that this is kind of the beginning," he added.

All three of the witnesses describe the vehicle as a large and clunky white SUV.

One of the witnesses described the SUV as an old-style boxy suburban.

Two of these witnesses came forward with this information during canvassing. The other tip came in several months later because the person thought someone had already brought this up.

http://www.kwwl.com/story/22671327/2013/06/24/evansdale

sorry if I seem ready to pounce but I am glad of this reinvigorated conversation. As much as it pains me to go back to those discussions when news of the girls' bodies discovery was still raw, I am glad to do so if it leads to something, if only just keeping the girls alive in our hearts while we wait on justice to catch up.

I didn't know this, and I am sorry if this is a repeat, however, if this is true, then the girl's bodies were not at the recovery location long at all.

This hunter also talks about how he used to log in the wildlife area, and skid the logs down the winding river along the ice.

MISSING NO MORE: Readlyn man hunted near site where Evansdale cousins were found

MISSING NO MORE: Readlyn man hunted near site where Evansdale cousins were found - YouTube
I believe that where the hunter is leading the reporter is not the location where the bodies were found. He's going to the north west edge if the park, and the bodies were found on the eastern side.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Thread 32 actually.

I get all that, and did not participate in the discussion at the time, however it is a useful video for anyone wishing to view the recovery location if nothing else. Also, it does emphasize the point that others did indeed go in those woods, and anyone putting the girls bodies there was almost certainly dressed in hunter garb.

Maybe it's just me and where I am familiar with in Canada, but, the woods in this video are certainly not very overgrown compared to what we have here. That ground would be easily gone over by an experienced woodsman.

JMO

The videos of where the bodies were found wasn't taken until after LE had cleared the brush and trees, so it doesn't give an accurate picture of what somebody would have seen a week before. But it doesn't take much overgrowth to hide a body after the first couple of weeks.

I agree that it looks like somebody used to the woods wouldn't have much trouble making their way through there, even carrying or dragging a body.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels