IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sorry & I know some people are not going to agree with me-but what this LE did is unacceptable to me-They have lost a whole week-when the dogs took them to those woods-I am angry-JMO

Being a local I just don't think they concentrated on the lake. Were doing behind the scenes on other areas. On the 15th, I was in a search group looking through corn fields.

With that said, I do feel some time was wasted.

I wouldn't string LE up yet. Just talked to one of my good friends, LEO here in Pittsburgh, who says that press conferences aren't held necessarily for the public, but for The perp. He said LE is deliberate in both what they say a d what they do not. Also said that good LEO's are always 5 steps ahead of the public. They often claim to have no credible leads, when, in fact, they do. He also said its quite possible they aren't publicly and unequivocally clearing the family for one of two reasons: 1. They may actually feel that a member or members of the family may be involved or 2. They are putting on a show for the perp. If the perp(s) are following the case, they may be less inclined to hurt the kids if they do not feel threatened. Meanwhile, the police may be closing in. Just some insight from a LEO.

LE is not going to come out and say that they are following or suspect the parents. They want them to mess up somehow and hopefully give a clue (if they were indeed involved)

here's the thing. huge respecter of LE and LEOs here. HUGE. And all this week I have tried to support their efforts in this case. But in the last few days we have authorities search a lake for what? Bodies of drowned swimmers? Why? Because the girls may have gone into the lake?

AND YET

at the exact same time they are saying no danger to the community. no abduction worries, don't worry dear public and draining that lake. All the while using the usual interview tactics with DM "We know you did it." "We have evidence" "you know you killed her" (wonder what they told him he did with his neice)

So while publicly trying to be supportive of LE efforts. I have quietly been fuming inside because which is it folks? Are they drowned swimmers and there's no danger to the public? (nope no bodies in the lake) Are they dead because their father/uncle killed them while in another town accompanied by his son and mother? (I highly doubt it).

Still support LE in general and respect immensely how hard their job is.

I am just angry in this particular circumstance because I think their perceptions were coloured by the parents less than ideal history and I sincerly hope those two little girls haven't paid for that perception with their lives.e

TY-I am a huge supporter to of LE-They have a hard job-but some evidence would have surface IMO if they were in the lake-a shoe or flip flop-they float-I think its time for me to sit on my hands & just read!

My next question is this-did they send Elizabeth's & Lyric's picture & descriptions to all the LE agencys across the country the day they went missing-so all of them could keep a look out for them in their states?

I believe Abben said today that they immediately sent pictures/alerts to D.C. (National Center for Missing and Exploited Children), so then according to protocol I believe the info would spread out nationally? Maybe someone else has more specific knowledge on that protocol?

-I'm so happy that there is now a 50 thousand dollar reward offered

-I am ecstatic that one week later the missing girls Lyric and Elizabeth are now being classified as an ABDUCTION

I watched the press conference, heard nothing about an RV

I still feel LE are focussing on lil Lyrics parents

-LE wouldn't answer press question Re: if something was found on Lyric's Mother's phone

-Asking for 100% cooperation

-LE states they are not watching Lyric's Parent's

- Then backtracks with Dept of Corrections supervision on DM

JMO

--------------------------------
On Friday morning, Misty Morrissey contacted KWWL, saying she wanted to set the record straight.

"We were woke up in the middle of the night after we'd fallen asleep after the sixth night by the DCI. We were put into rooms and we were for three hours accused of taking our children. Told that we did it, that we need to tell them where the children are at. It was a pretty intense coercion," Misty Morrissey said. "So at that point, just being regular people off the street, we thought we might need just some legal representation or advice."
http://www.kwwl.com/story/19066921/family-of-missing-girls-gets-attorney

My next question is this-did they send Elizabeth's & Lyric's picture & descriptions to all the LE agencys across the country the day they went missing-so all of them could keep a look out for them in their states?

I heard him say it was sent to DC. which I believe is where the office is for NCMEC is.

I THNIK..

<shudder>

Respectfully, aren't you a mandated reporter of child abuse? I don't mean this in a snarky way but if the parents won't call the police, maybe you could use your mandated reporter status (if you are one) to report to CPS under the rationale that what was described was certainly abusive, even though the abuser is not a family member.

Thinking it over, I don't think her parents are completely wrong. If it were me, I'd get her a second cellphone number but retain the old one so that the stalker doesn't realise she has a new number. And then leave the old phone with LE so they can just take the messages directly.

The parents may think this is just a very twisted prank but even if that were so, I think it would do the prankster a world of good to have a little face to face time with LE and the court system.

I completely agree, I am a mandatory reporter...The girl is 18 years old, as I taught her in her home- ( she was home schooled )I did have her write a police report, I urged her in every way to turn it into the police.. to go to the police herself and or to go with her, oh, and I reported it to my boss, and re-reported it when the person txted ( i was a witness to the random txting). It still bothers me a lot.
:-(

Are RVs allowed to park/camp at Meyer's Lake? Why did a reporter mention an RV? TIA

you can park an RV pretty much anywhere. on a street, driveway, in a yard...i do not believe Meyers lake has a camping area though...maybe one of the Edale people can tell you if it does.

But if they were doing their job behind the scenes, does it matter what they called it? And besides, they couldn't know for sure until they knew the lake was cleared, IMO.

I'm afraid it does matter. If it didn't matter what they called it...they wouldn't feel the need to change it now. By no means do I think what they were doing behind the scenes or what they did at the lake was a waste of time. However, not considering this an abduction....meant there was really no widespread alert to be on the look out for these girls. (LE stated several times there was no danger) Most people I've spoken to about this (who are not "sleuthers") either new nothing about it or thought the girls were in the lake after some sort of drowning accident.

IMO and from what I know from following a vast number of these cases...the only time I've ever seen LE search a body of water this exstensively and NOT ruled that it could also be an abduction was when someone had actually seen the child/children fall in the water...or at least knew for a fact that the child/children had went swimming. By ALL accounts from the many locals we have here....every one of them has said it was not a lake people swim in. Nor did LE have anyone that said they saw the girls go in the water.

Also, by saying "Evidence has been sent to DCI in Ankeny" I believe that would include all that we'd previously heard of (Namely, the bikes, computers, etc.). I hope and pray there is new, additional evidence, but I'd assume that blanket statement would include all of the above, the cell phone info, etc.

What I do not understand is the "no need to worry about your children" to the public in that little town! 2 little girls are missing!
Everyone PLEASE watch your children closely.
No child is safe anywhere anymore.
This must be child luring week.
Even happened 2 times in my small town this week!

I did not hear anything about an RV being missing in the press conference either :/

I am sorry & I know some people are not going to agree with me-but what this LE did is unacceptable to me-They have lost a whole week-when the dogs took them to those woods-I am angry-JMO

While the lake got a huge amount of the media coverage (big, good for visuals), I think in reality that it took very little away from the main LE effort. Giving it a generous estimate, maybe 10 people per day and not all of those people had to be investigators (such as the ones maintaining the cordon). The divers and sonar operators are very unlikely to be part of the rest of the investigation.

LE has been actively conducting searches in other areas and pursuing many other investigative avenues. A lack of evidence does not correlate with a lack of effort.

The entire area, heck, the entire state seems to know about the two girls and to be on high alert. It didn't take calling it an abduction for people to take it as seriously as an abduction and to be on the lookout for any little girls that look like either Elizabeth or Lyric.

All in all, I just don't see this as a lost week at all. The only thing that has changed is the official label.

Wish we knew for sure if they said something about a missing RV. Any of the locals see an RV parked down there on/by Evans/Lake Ave/Arbutus that is no longer there?

I hadn't heard of an RV. I also did not hear the Sheriff say "stranger" abduction.

I'm afraid it does matter. If it didn't matter what they called it...they wouldn't feel the need to change it now. By no means do I think what they were doing behind the scenes or what they did at the lake was a waste of time. However, not considering this an abduction....meant there was really no widespread alert to be on the look out for these girls. (LE stated several times there was no danger) Most people I've spoken to about this (who are not "sleuthers") either new nothing about it or thought the girls were in the lake after some sort of drowning accident.

IMO and from what I know from following a vast number of these cases...the only time I've ever seen LE search a body of water this exstensively and NOT ruled that it could also be an abduction was when someone had actually seen the child/children fall in the water...or at least knew for a fact that the child/children had went swimming. By ALL accounts from the many locals we have here....every one of them has said it was not a lake people swim in. Nor did LE have anyone that said they saw the girls go in the water.

Matt Hoffman case from Ohio where a mom her daughter and son were kidnapped from their home I watched for a day as cars were removed from a pond , for no reason other then they had to follow up on the tip.

I'm afraid it does matter. If it didn't matter what they called it...they wouldn't feel the need to change it now. By no means do I think what they were doing behind the scenes or what they did at the lake was a waste of time. However, not considering this an abduction....meant there was really no widespread alert to be on the look out for these girls. (LE stated several times there was no danger) Most peop I've spoken to about this (who are not "sleuthers") either new nothing about it or thought the girls were in the lake after some sort of drowning accidentle.

TY....

Can they now issue an Amber Alert because it is classified as an abduction?

As I understand it, probably not due to a lack of information about how or who the girls may be with.

It seems like Amber Alerts go out when there is some sort of associated evidence the public can watch for, such as a white van (sorry, couldn't resist), a tall blond man or some such information.

I could be wrong and I hope I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members