IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I question why they're still searching cars.

If the perp was going to move the girls or their remains, why do it now, as opposed to having done it immediately after the abduction or waiting until the heat dies down?

Draining the lake was grasping at straws but I could see the logic in absolutely ruling it out. This seems to be an even bigger waste of time.

It was probably hours after the girls were abducted that it was realised they had disappeared. So roadblocks right away would probably not have found anything although I do regret that opportunity was missed.

I think going through people's cars today was worth the effort for a few different reasons.

One, it allowed LE to ask each driver if they saw anything last Friday.

It also let them look for evidence. Sometimes perpetrators don't realise that they are leaving evidence to find, such as fresh damage to the interior of the car or blood spatter in a place they didn't think to clean off or weren't able to clean off.

It let them do a quickie evaluation of each driver they spoke to. Were they relaxed about being stopped? Did they seem more nervous than the circumstances would call for?

I'm also betting that they had discreet surveillance going at the intersections where drivers might turn off to avoid a roadblock, get license plate numbers and run them. Simply avoiding a roadblock is not illegal or probable cause for anything but if the same name pops up again in a different part of the case... well, that would be very interesting.

So I don't think they were wasting time or effort. I believe they are still in the part of the investigation where they are throwing names into the suspect pool rather than trying to narrow it down.

I suppose the girls weren't followed while riding....or perhaps they were and we can't see that from the surveillance footage LE has offered to us.

I am so torn....it sounds like a crime of opportunity due to the time frame the girls were taken...but it feels like a crime with intent due to LE being so suspicious of DM and the criminal history of some of the family.

So then, the person(s) would have to contain two girls, throw the bikes in back and hurry up to the trail and leave the bikes there to be found within 5 minutes, without being seen.

Any ideas?

This must have been very well planned out. :(
Also, we know the girls were where the bikes were found because the dogs found their scent there.

I've read hundreds upon hundreds of posts here and read numerous MSM articles and only see a few glancing references to the river. t have kept me and others abreast of the latest news in this case!
snipped- Welcome!- yes I mentioned that river and its close proximity to the Collins home, but doesn't seem to be garnering much attention that I can tell.
Not certain how thoroughly it is being checked.
There are definitely some crooked spots traveling Se towards Gilbertville...sadly...hope they are checking further downstream.

ETA- ah i see paris said they have ( at least) been using kayaks

So then, the person(s) would have to contain two girls, throw the bikes in back and hurry up to the trail and leave the bikes there to be found within 5 minutes, without being seen.

Any ideas?

This must have been very well planned out. :(

perps could have followed them in a vehicle. saw the route around the lake they were taking. Ollipop stated there looked like tire tracks by the pump house. 2 people could grab 2 kids pretty quickly. and another thought I have had on my many bike rides on the nature trails between waterloo & cedar falls...all it would take for someone to get me off my bike while tooling along is for someone coming from the opposite direction to simply turn and knock me off my bike as we are passing.

makes me wonder about the biker who saw their bikes on the trail. now that I think about it 12:27 sort of seems like an exact time. I think if I was reporting something I saw on a ride it would be something like "around 12:30"....anybody remember his name?

Ted something and he was able to peg the time by looking at his cell phone. He called his daughter just a few minutes after he saw the abandoned bikes.

I think the bikes were found later... around 4:00. The guy that saw the bikes at 12:27 reported them later when he found out 2 girls on bikes were missing.
The point is, HE found the bikes on the trail at 12:20 and no girls to be seen.

Hmmm....I have had a glass or two of wine tonight...maybe I'm missing something. LOL :waitasec:

I will be so :blushing:

that is what it sounded like to me too...pretty grainy footage. looked like 1 bike to me.

I think it's "towed" too. And in that recent video posted of the surveillance video, I believe Misty said that on the 6th night they took her cell phone and car didn't she? So that would have been Wednesday? When they were woken up at the motel?

MOO

that is what it sounded like to me too...pretty grainy footage. looked like 1 bike to me.

In the video, I saw one girl first and then the other who was trailing behind quite a bit. It's so blurry I couldn't tell who was who.

The article with the video did state that the authorities have had that video for at least 5 days. That wasn't reported previously which leads me to believe that there is so much more going on with this investigation than we know (thank goodness). IMO The authorities can't show all of their cards; crooks watch TV and surf the net, too.

FWIW - After becoming obsessed with what was asked at the presser and listening to the words another 237 times, I am about 99% sure that the question the reporter asked was:

"Can you comment on Misty Morrissy's cell phone in a car being pulled over yesterday?"

I think some people hear RV when she is really saying over.

I'm not a professional listener nor do I play one on TV so take it for what it's worth.... :cooler:

IMO, JMO, MOO

I downloaded the presser and played it through VLC media player in slow,slow, slow playback and what you have stated above is exactly what I heard in the slowed down playback. You good.

I'm guessing the one that almost crashed when he came across the girls' bikes on the trail?

lol. I refer to this as a "cyclist"!
A biker is a different animal. Also on two wheels!

On a separate note, I actually talked about this with my 10 year old daughter last night. Gave her the same exact scenario these girls found themselves in and sure enough...she said she'd go with her friend if they threatened to harm her. Needless to say...lots of tears were shed after that conversation, on both of our parts..

Make sure you tell her that her friends BEST chance is for her to run for help and get help quickly.

Ok, this might be really off-the-wall, but I'll say it anyway.

Is it possible that the bikes seen at 12:27 weren't those belonging to the girls? If they were in the middle of the path, and nobody admits to moving them, could they have been placed there by someone waiting for someone vulnerable to stop and check them out or move them?

I keep thinking of someone (maybe at least one a woman or teen so they aren't so intimidating) could have called to them when they stopped with some kind of a ruse - puppies, kittens, needing help, whatever. Once the girls got over there, they could grab them, throw them and their own bikes in the back (of a van, maybe?) and left. It could have been any time between 12:27 when two bikes were seen and the time when the girls' bikes were found. That could also account for the sighting later in the day and the bikes being there earlier.

Or, maybe I've watch too many mystery movies...

Actually, I think that's an ingenious thought and definitely possible.

It fits in with known predator behaviours like Ted with his fake cast and prepped tire irons, pedophiles that lure a child by carrying a leash and pretending to call a dog or actually having a dog with them, etc.

Definitely possible.

I think it's "towed" too. And in that recent video posted of the surveillance video, I believe Misty said that on the 6th night they took her cell phone and car didn't she? So that would have been Wednesday? When they were woken up at the motel?

MOO

I think she said they took her cell phone and their computer if I recall. They removed info off the phones and returned them and that the phones didn't work properly after they removed the info. I don't remember her saying they took her car, but she may have. As much as I try to keep up, I still seem to miss so much.

Ted something and he was able to peg the time by looking at his cell phone. He called his daughter just a few minutes after he saw the abandoned bikes.

it is odd that all the "official" timelines I have seen don't include his sighting of the bikes on the trail.

I have been thinking about this time line and it is very tight. So a thought I had was, maybe there are two perps involved. Perp 1 on a bike and perp 2 in a waiting vehicle. Perp 1 rides with the girls to the lake or leads them there quickly (perhaps the girls were going fast to keep up with perp 1). Perp 1 and the girls drop their bikes, perp 1 throws the purse over the fence and leads the girls down to the lake to show them something and quickly over to the woods where perp 2 is waiting to get them in a vehicle. While perp 2 gets the girls in the vehicle, perp 1 jumps back on the bike and rides away, meeting up with perp 2 and the girls at a different location.

It would be interesting to know if any one else was seen riding on a bike that day. Perhaps that is why they are stopping vehicles and looking in trunks, looking for a bike.

This is just my thoughts on it, it would certainly take less time that way than it would to have the perp pick up the girls and the bikes and drop the bikes off at that location. I am also not sure the girls would have rode their bikes that far away unless they were influenced by a 3rd party to do so.

moo

If one girl was trailing the other, it would have been easy to lure one girl and knock her out. The second would have stopped her bike at her friend's bike. She was then a sitting duck for the same treatment.

Trusting the dogs, I think evidence points to the fact that one or both girls were lured to the wood's edge - maybe with a puppy, etc. Something that would stop them in their tracks and make them get off their bikes. It would be easy to snatch them into the woods where there was plenty of cover to tie them up and cart them off.

Does anyone know whether the dogs lost the scent in the woods? Were the dogs even led into the woods to search?

What are we to make of the girls' aunt who says she spoke with a man near the lake at 2:45pm and he said he had seen the girls riding their bikes to the east on the trail at 2:30pm? Has that sighting been dismissed? She made the comment that LE had his name...and she wasn't sure if he was on the up and up.

If one girl was trailing the other, it would have been easy to lure one girl and knock her out. The second would have stopped her bike at her friend's bike. She was then a sitting duck for the same treatment.

Trusting the dogs, I think evidence points to the fact that one or both girls were lured to the wood's edge - maybe with a puppy, etc. Something that would stop them in their tracks and make them get off their bikes. It would be easy to snatch them into the woods where there was plenty of cover to tie them up and cart them off.

Does anyone know whether the dogs lost the scent in the woods? Were the dogs even led into the woods to search?

And both bikes were found a little ways apart from each other, is this not so?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500