IA IA - Jodi Huisentruit, 27, Anchorwoman, Mason City, 27 June 1995 #2

Crime Junkie Podcast just released an episode about Jodi's disappearance.

Episode Summary​

When a local news anchor vanishes in the pre-dawn hours, the entire community is struck by the irony. The person who typically broke stories in their small town was now the focus of the biggest missing persons case in the Midwest. Leads and suspects are plentiful, but somehow, almost three decades have passed without a shred of evidence pointing to anyone in particular.

1694444196697.png1694444205548.png1694444215755.png

Episode Summary​

When a local news anchor vanishes in the pre-dawn hours, the entire community is struck by the irony. The person who typically broke stories in their small town was now the focus of the biggest missing persons case in the Midwest. Leads and suspects are plentiful, but somehow, almost three decades have passed without a shred of evidence pointing to anyone in particular.

View attachment 446287View attachment 446288View attachment 446289

Episode Summary​

View attachment 446287View attachment 446288View attachment 446289

The only way this gets solved is if someone develops a conscience or a reliable tip comes in-- otherwise, this case will remain in the cold case file. It is so sad.

1695515396012.png
''Cold-case murder investigator Steve Ridge has been working on the bizarre missing person case for years and has said that he believes she is dead and someone knows what happened.''
''Ridge told The U.S. Sun that he thinks money will be a key motivator and said that he would increase the reward for information to encourage someone to sell their secrets, though he believes Huisentruit is dead.''

"I think there are people who know how she met her demise and at least had a hand in it, more than one person. It may have been after the fact."

In a bid to finally bring a conclusion to this case, Ridge is planning to increase the reward for information that leads to the discovery of her remains.''

By Caroline Lowe · On October 3, 2023

''A former Mason City, Iowa, woman claims she was chased by a man she saw standing next to the Key Apartments building where Jodi Huisentruit lived, barely a month before the news anchor was abducted in the apartment’s parking lot.
Although the incident has never been revealed publicly before, she told FindJodi.com that Mason City Police have known about it since the day it happened when her mother called them more than 28 years ago.''

''Less than a month later, Jodi Huisentruit was abducted from the parking lot in front of the same building where the woman claims she saw the man, whom she said was never identified.

“The man who chased me had dark shaggy-ish hair… he was probably about 25-30 and white. I remember the guy being fairly short and wearing jean shorts. He had dark hair and was tan,” said the woman, who’s now in her 40’s.''

Oct. 4, 2023
''Ridge tracked down the unidentified lover, who police had cleared years ago after first declaring him a person of interest.

He believes “jealously” was a factor in Huisentruit’s murder since she “had strong admirers” and that her newfound love interest might “infuriate other suitors.”

Oct 5 2023​

1696510365702.png

''A secret lover?​

Ridge said Huisentruit was in a brief but intense relationship before she went missing. The couple spoke "just about every day and she initiated the calls" and it was a " very fast connection."

He has even met the mystery man and was given a tour of the home he stayed in while he was in Mason City. "That home is the last place Huisentruitwent on a 'date' before she went missing," said Ridge.

The pair had drinks together overlooking the lake in a romantic encounter just days before Huisentruit disappeared. Rudge took a photograph of where they drank together and it proved to be a "powerful picture."

Before tragedy struck, the pair saw a potential long-term on the horizon. It ended with the man as a person of interest, under surveillance from police who also looked through his rubbish.

He was eventually cleared after arousing no suspicion and Ridge, meanwhile, believes the killer was someone who committed anything but "a random act of violence" and was not a stalker. He suspects the red Maza, not owned by Huisentruit, was an extravagant gift from a keen admirer.''

Another article about this man--- but what I find most interesting is that the theory is that one of her suitors (or secret suitors?) became jealous over this new relationship and murdered her: that makes lots of sense to me.

I am a little confused.
I’ve followed the case for awhile but admittedly hit and miss for the last few years, so apologies if this is a stupid question.
Is all this seemingly new information coming out now about “secret“ boyfriends etc new information, or just rehashing old stuff?
The article says the secret beau was cleared so why is it important now?
Just a thought but I doubt the killing was because of jealousy over the secret boyfriend. Someone that mired in rage about something like that, I think would have stood out like a sore thumb to police very early on.

I am a little confused.
I’ve followed the case for awhile but admittedly hit and miss for the last few years, so apologies if this is a stupid question.
Is all this seemingly new information coming out now about “secret“ boyfriends etc new information, or just rehashing old stuff?
The article says the secret beau was cleared so why is it important now?
Just a thought but I doubt the killing was because of jealousy over the secret boyfriend. Someone that mired in rage about something like that, I think would have stood out like a sore thumb to police very early on.
police may have cleared the wrong person. One never knows.

But a crack PI claims he has previously unreported information about a fling with a man from out of state that the journalist met just ten days before she went missing, as well as a photograph showing the site of her final date before her disappearance.

News anchor Jodi Huisentruit (pictured) has been missing since 1995

News anchor Jodi Huisentruit (pictured) has been missing since 1995

*I can remember the moment I heard about Jodi missing. I wasn’t here of course. That really defines the memory.

*3 months ago
Huisentruit, a morning news anchor, was due at KIMT in Mason City, Iowa at 3:30 a.m. to anchor “Daybreak.” When she hadn’t arrived by 4 a.m. her producer, Amy Kuns, called her.
Kuns said it was obvious Huisentruit had just woken up but nothing else seemed out of the ordinary.

“I’m like, it’s four o’clock, you’re coming into work?” Kuns said.

Huisentruit said she’d be on her way.

That was the last time anyone spoke with her. She never showed up for work that morning and the station called police to check on her.

When news director Doug Merbach arrived, it was obvious that Huisentruit’s absence wasn’t a simple case of someone oversleeping or forgetting to call out sick.

“It was there’s police in the parking lot, Doug, and they’re looking at it as a possible crime scene,” Merbach said. “That just stops you in your tracks. Crime scene? What the heck?”

Mason City police arrived at Huisentruit’s apartment complex after 7 a.m. and found nothing unusual inside her second-floor apartment. But outside, an officer found signs of a struggle next to her car, still parked in the lot.

Last edited:
*3 months ago
Huisentruit, a morning news anchor, was due at KIMT in Mason City, Iowa at 3:30 a.m. to anchor “Daybreak.” When she hadn’t arrived by 4 a.m. her producer, Amy Kuns, called her.
Kuns said it was obvious Huisentruit had just woken up but nothing else seemed out of the ordinary.

“I’m like, it’s four o’clock, you’re coming into work?” Kuns said.

Huisentruit said she’d be on her way.

That was the last time anyone spoke with her. She never showed up for work that morning and the station called police to check on her.

When news director Doug Merbach arrived, it was obvious that Huisentruit’s absence wasn’t a simple case of someone oversleeping or forgetting to call out sick.

“It was there’s police in the parking lot, Doug, and they’re looking at it as a possible crime scene,” Merbach said. “That just stops you in your tracks. Crime scene? What the heck?”

Mason City police arrived at Huisentruit’s apartment complex after 7 a.m. and found nothing unusual inside her second-floor apartment. But outside, an officer found signs of a struggle next to her car, still parked in the lot.
I still believe JV did it--- if anyone would be jealous of a new suitor it would be JV- I think he was obsessed with her- loved her and may have harbored the fantasy that some day they would be together.

I still believe JV did it--- if anyone would be jealous of a new suitor it would be JV- I think he was obsessed with her- loved her and may have harbored the fantasy that some day they would be together.
I believe this too. I've always thought it was JV that did it. He probably found out about the new boyfriend and went nuts.

I believe this too. I've always thought it was JV that did it. He probably found out about the new boyfriend and went nuts.
that's what I think too-- remember he threw that birthday party for her - and I recall detectives or the FBI commenting on how he kept his eyes on her constantly at that party: They thought it was telling and odd. I think the party was the night before she went missing and was apparently abducted or close to that time anyway.-- he named his boat after her---

Oct 6 2023
''Private investigator Steve Ridge joins Jeff with some new information and the revelation has Jeff thinking that Steve is on the right track in finding who is responsible - an infuriated stalker or creeper may have taken Jodi. And, yes, there's a difference. Listen to Jeff and Steve's conversation here:''

Just came across this very recent UK case involving a guy (now arrested) who tried to hire a hit man from the US to kill a tv presenter in the UK.. fwiw..

After looking again at the crime scene photo of the Mazda Miata and where it was parked, it is certainly possible someone in a van parked in the space opposite Jodi's Mazda Miata and could see her directly as she walked out of her apartment complex door. This is assuming when the crime happened a few hours earlier, that parking space in front of Jodi's Mazda Miata was still unoccupied.

I have always wondered how long it takes once you leave the door of the apartment complex to walk directly to Jodi's parking space that day. It looks very short, like it would take maybe at most 10 - 15 seconds. Whoever it was that abducted Jodi Huisentruit had to be ready the moment she appeared in the parking lot in order to have enough time to grab her before she could get inside her Mazda Miata.

My opinion is that it is someone who lives or works(or lived and worked) at the apartment complex at the time of her disappearance. Whoever it was had to be sort of brazen to commit the crime in the early morning hours of June 27, 1995, because from the layout of the apartment complex, it looks like there are lot of windows that look down on the parking lot. Or this could be someone who was stalking her and knew she drove the red Mazda Miata. Then they simply waited in the van, abducted her, and left the scene to a place unknown.

In a case like this, all you can try to do is go through possible scenarios. For example, supposedly there was a white Ford Econoline van idling in the parking lot on the morning of her disappearance. Exactly where in the parking lot was the Ford Econoline van idling because this person would have to be able to get out of the van and get to Jodi before Jodi gets inside her Mazda Miata.

Even in the dark with a light in the parking lot, how easy is it to determine a person by sight walking out of the apartment at 4:30 - 5:30 am in the morning on June 27th, 1995? This is the type of crime where doing a walkthrough would be beneficial to understanding possible scenarios.

This case is another example of why missing person's cases are so hard to solve.

After looking again at the crime scene photo of the Mazda Miata and where it was parked, it is certainly possible someone in a van parked in the space opposite Jodi's Mazda Miata and could see her directly as she walked out of her apartment complex door. This is assuming when the crime happened a few hours earlier, that parking space in front of Jodi's Mazda Miata was still unoccupied.

I have always wondered how long it takes once you leave the door of the apartment complex to walk directly to Jodi's parking space that day. It looks very short, like it would take maybe at most 10 - 15 seconds. Whoever it was that abducted Jodi Huisentruit had to be ready the moment she appeared in the parking lot in order to have enough time to grab her before she could get inside her Mazda Miata.

My opinion is that it is someone who lives or works(or lived and worked) at the apartment complex at the time of her disappearance. Whoever it was had to be sort of brazen to commit the crime in the early morning hours of June 27, 1995, because from the layout of the apartment complex, it looks like there are lot of windows that look down on the parking lot. Or this could be someone who was stalking her and knew she drove the red Mazda Miata. Then they simply waited in the van, abducted her, and left the scene to a place unknown.

In a case like this, all you can try to do is go through possible scenarios. For example, supposedly there was a white Ford Econoline van idling in the parking lot on the morning of her disappearance. Exactly where in the parking lot was the Ford Econoline van idling because this person would have to be able to get out of the van and get to Jodi before Jodi gets inside her Mazda Miata.

Even in the dark with a light in the parking lot, how easy is it to determine a person by sight walking out of the apartment at 4:30 - 5:30 am in the morning on June 27th, 1995? This is the type of crime where doing a walkthrough would be beneficial to understanding possible scenarios.

This case is another example of why missing person's cases are so hard to solve.
Or it could be someone who knew her well and knew what time she left for work every day- although she was a little late on this particular morning. Since she left in the very early morning hours, it would have been dark-- this person could have been watching her apartment and would have seen the light go off when she left her apartment so they would know she would be coming out of her apartment with a few seconds ----

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back