ID - 2 year boy accidentally shoots and kills mother in walmart in ths US

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is tragic. She did not "let" her child shoot her, but she certainly failed to prevent her child accessing it and doing just that.

I am a staunch believer in the rights of citizens to possess firearms under the regulations and standards provided by federal and state law. That said, far too many people IMO are concerned with their rights in regards to gun ownership and shirk the responsibility portion of that equation. Again JMO.

Her carry permit requires a training certificate to obtain. She was a trained, intelligent woman who is the victim of a tragic accident. She didn't shirk anything IMO.

She left her gun unattended where her two year old could get it.

Now she's dead.

Her carry permit requires a training certificate to obtain. She was a trained, intelligent woman who is the victim of a tragic accident. She didn't shirk anything IMO.

We disagree. A trained, intelligent woman was the controlling factor of the firearm, the purse and the child. I agree this is tragic. And obviously it was an accident. But in this type of accident there are contributing factors. In this case I feel they were as follows:

Failed to properly secure her perfectly legal firearm in such a manner as it could not be accessed by two year old or other children.

In addition or in the alternative, failed to properly secure the purse in which said firearm was carried in such a manner as it could not be accessed by two year old or other children.

In addition or in the alternative, failed to properly secure the two year old in such a manner as it did not have access to either purse or gun within.

So - accident - yes
Shirked responsibility on the part of gun owner - yes

again just a :cow:

Perfectly intelligent and educated people are not immune to making wrong choices and decisions and suffering tragic results because of them.

A nuclear research scientist died Tuesday after her 2-year-old son pulled a loaded pistol from her purse and shot her while she was shopping at the Wal-Mart store in Hayden.

bbm I was wrong.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/12/30/3566139_khq-woman-shot-at-wal-mart.html?rh=1

“She was not an irresponsible mother, who just said, ‘Oh, I want a gun and went to the gun store and tossed it loosely into her purse.’ The purse was designed a built-in holster,” he said. “Unfortunately, an inquisitive 2-year-old boy unzipped the compartment while his mother was looking at clothing with her three young nieces, and accessed the gun.”

The purse with the holster was a Christmas gift from Veronica Rutledge's husband, Colt.

“She generally carried on her person,” Terry Rutledge said. “They’d been looking at another way for her to carry. Something that was comfortable.”

Yet another example of the craziness that has developed in this country. If something like this would have happened 35-40 ish years ago when I was a child, there would have been outrage: why was a woman carrying a gun in her purse? a loaded gun? where a 2 year old could get it? Now, nope, it's all about the crazy brainwashing/rhetoric/politics that has developed when it comes to guns and every ones "rights" to carry around a damn deadly weapon. Every day that goes by I fear more and more for my children growing up in a country that is apparently going backwards instead of forwards when it comes to being civilized. :( Seriously, this s*** scares the hell out of me.

Yet another example of the craziness that has developed in this country. If something like this would have happened 35-40 ish years ago when I was a child, there would have been outrage: why was a woman carrying a gun in her purse? a loaded gun? where a 2 year old could get it? Now, nope, it's all about the crazy brainwashing/rhetoric/politics that has developed when it comes to guns and every ones "rights" to carry around a damn deadly weapon. Every day that goes by I fear more and more for my children growing up in a country that is apparently going backwards instead of forwards when it comes to being civilized. :( Seriously, this s*** scares the hell out of me.

I'm outraged, but I'm not emotional about it.
She is a free law abiding citizen and chose to own and use a firearm. She made an unrecoverable mistake. It cost her her life and potential emotional scarring for the child.

Really no different from the women who are free citizens and choose to own a car and put on their makeup while driving and using the rearview mirror. I was outraged that they killed themselves and sometimes killed others by making a mistake such as that but I was not emotional about it. Nor do I think owning cars are crazy or that owning makeup should be regulated.

In a free and democratic society people make mistakes that cause harm. It's called freedom.

Whether a car, lawnmower, chainsaw, makeup, atv, gun, Tide pods, or whatever, if conditions exists where a mistake with any of those are unrecoverable extra care should be maintained that prevents it.

However I still see women driving down the road, lipstick in hand, eyes glued to the rearview mirror, but I've never seen a thread or outcry over it. hmmmm

I'm in my 50's, grew up in a small town, hunting was always big. My parents never had guns, but many, many of my friends parents did, for hunting. Never do I remember a kid getting into the parents guns and shooting another kid, shooting their parents, or shooting up a school. Yes, of course there were hunting accidents. I have been thinking about all this for a very long time, and it scares the hell out of me as well.

Well, I'm emotional about it, emotional that this little boy doesn't have a mother, and emotional about how his life will be growing up with that knowledge. As well as I'm emotional about every little child that get's shot accidentally because a gun has not been secured, so an innocent child can't get their hands on it. I don't care who has or hasn't a gun, just keep it away from kids, common sense, really.

bbm
Seriously? wow

I'm outraged, but I'm not emotional about it.
She is a free law abiding citizen and chose to own and use a firearm. She made an unrecoverable mistake. It cost her her life and potential emotional scarring for the child.

Really no different from the women who are free citizens and choose to own a car and put on their makeup while driving and using the rearview mirror. I was outraged that they killed themselves and sometimes killed others by making a mistake such as that but I was not emotional about it. Nor do I think owning cars are crazy or that owning makeup should be regulated.

In a free and democratic society people make mistakes that cause harm. It's called freedom.

Whether a car, lawnmower, chainsaw, makeup, atv, gun, Tide pods, or whatever, if conditions exists where a mistake with any of those are unrecoverable extra care should be maintained that prevents it.

However I still see women driving down the road, lipstick in hand, eyes glued to the rearview mirror, but I've never seen a thread or outcry over it. hmmmm

There are very few people who advocate endangering traffic safety I think.

There are laws and statutes against dangerous driving and people who manage to get someone killed because they put on makeup while driving can be prosecuted.

Reckless driving in wanton disregard of everyone's safety is usually not considered a freedom worthy of defending.

No one gets all upset and afraid that their right to own a car or wear make up is going to be taken away if someone utters the common sense notion that people should drive safely and mind the traffic regulations. Captain Obvious, surely...?

But saying that responsible parents and gun owners have to make sure their children's welfare isn't endangered by irresponsible handling of the weapons gets people's knickers in knots and it's "ridiculous". Why?

Yes, very serious.

And yes, I realize you are apparently being sarcastic. But I am tired of being scared for my kids and their future with what this country is coming to.

How did you get SARCASM from 2 posted words? :thinking:
One was a question followed with a question mark.
One was a comment.

avoir and happy new year
moo

Let's not forget drunk driving stats ie accidents caused by drunk drivers that take innocent children's lives each year.
And drunk driving accidents that take any and all lives per year.
And children who die from accidental poisoning.

There are very few people who advocate endangering traffic safety I think.

There are laws and statutes against dangerous driving and people who manage to get someone killed because they put on makeup while driving can be prosecuted.

Reckless driving in wanton disregard of everyone's safety is usually not considered a freedom worthy of defending.

No one gets all upset and afraid that their right to own a car or wear make up is going to be taken away if someone utters the common sense notion that people should drive safely and mind the traffic regulations. Captain Obvious, surely...?

But saying that responsible parents and gun owners have to make sure their children's welfare isn't endangered by irresponsible handling of the weapons gets people's knickers in knots and it's "ridiculous". Why?

BBM

With freedom goes responsibility. People make mistakes. Some mistakes are unrecoverable. All of the preceding are facts regardless of the tangible property.

When "people" start getting their knickers in a knot WRT talking down a RIGHT, it sets people on edge.
No different than if some were to talk down/ridicule/second guess/a Right to not be illegally searched and/or seized.
Just because someone doesn't "like" the circumstances surrounding a RIGHT, it doesn't give one the right to take that right away from others. The constant wailing about guns is "ridiculous" in the context that an inanimate object possesses some inherent evil.

The woman in this case made a mistake and it cost her her life. Same tragic circumstance as it is for me to write an accident report because a woman killed herself and others while driving and putting on makeup. "Ridiculous" comes into play when I begin to drum on about the dangers of makeup, or women, or cars, or rearview mirrors, etc.

OK here is the thing, why in the helicopter can't there be more regulations (YES OMG LAWS) in regards to the ownership / carrying of guns etc.

Say someone has the right to carry a concealed weapon as this lady appears to have had, why is it OK for her to let the gun float around in her handbag? Wouldn't it be better to make it illegal for her to carry a concealed weapon unless it was secured to her person in a holster?

See look, it makes me sick to think of random people wandering about in public with guns on them, I admit it, but if people MUST why can't they do it in the safest way possible, I mean you don't see the police reaching into a backpack for a weapon because they have them strapped to their person at all times, well it should be the same for these people who have a licence to carry a gun.

I think when it comes to gun ownership it's the LOOSENESS of the laws that bothers people the most and the lack of regulation.

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

It is not necessarily a right to keep a loaded pistol within easy reach of a young child. I don't know about Idaho, but many states have child access prevention laws.

Somebody else could have easily been shot. Did this woman's right trumps other people rights to shop safely and not be shot while they are shopping?

"Ruteledge had a bag similar to the one pictured here, specially designed to conceal a weapon (file image of a bag..."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...gift-better-conceal-weapon.html#ixzz3NVmTVtSw

2459496E00000578-2892697-Ruteledge_had_a_bag_similar_to_the_one_pictured_here_specially_d-m-20_1420047911783.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname