ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 42

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder whether others were unwittingly involved. Just say his folks were in Pullman for WSU family weekend, with their car. And he ‘borrowed’ the car during the night. He remains in town while, next day, the car is driven (not by him) all the way across the country.
Could be. But do parents really go to PhD students’ parents weekend? I’d think it would be for undergraduates only?

Yes, indeed. But LE eliminated the 'usual suspects within 4-5 days after the murder, DNA samples were still tested at that time. So, it was sonething else that made LE sure whom they are NOT looking for. Wonder what that may be.
Yup - totally agree with this. They were SO sure the entire time that this was targeted. And if they weren’t sure, and thought he may kill again, I just cannot believe that our good old chief F wouldn’t alert the public that they should be extra vigilant.

I still believe that there was some type of digital evidence recovered which will come out as part of the trial (if not prior)

In my district you have to get fingerprinted and checked to be an officer in the sports boosters (parent volunteer organization) or to even be a part time clerical worker in the school.
Yep. We don’t do fingerprints, but if a parent goes into a classroom, they need to be background checked. If it’s a school function in the theater or another public setting like back to school night, then it’s not required. But the background checks are not the detailed ones that take weeks to come back

He left DNA.
I don't think the DNA results were available at the time they were "ruling out" the likely suspects or were waffling on whether the house or individuals were targeted or whether there was a threat to the community. IMO once the arrest warrant and affidavits are released, we'll learn that there was really good surveillance video, combined with vehicle registrations that led to BK. We've all seen the UofI permit log, but given its proximity, I bet LE also obtained a similar log from Wazzu. Maybe the video showed a WSU sticker, but LE kept that under wraps.

from the media( no discussion) thread

'Stinchfield said Kohberger was the teacher’s assistant in one of Stinchfield’s criminology classes. He seemed disengaged most of the time and was a harsh grader, Stinchfield said.

”He was definitely kind of a creepy guy,” Stinchfield said.
Stinchfield said Kohberger seemed more distracted and disheveled in the days after the killings, letting his facial hair grow out
”We noticed distinctly, like, oh, he must be going through it. He’s, yeah, he’s looking a lot worse,” Stinchfield said.

Joey Famularo, another criminology student in one of Kohberger’s classes, said he “always seemed a little bit on edge.”
”We just assumed he was kind of shy,” Famularo said.
Famularo said Kohberger didn’t show up to class often enough to make much of an impression, but also noted his strict grading. Kohberger said he liked to challenge his students, Famularo said.
Around the time of the killings, Famularo said Kohberger shifted to almost rubber-stamp students’ assignments, though it’s hard to say whether the timing was coincidental because students had also recently confronted him about his grading.

Jasmine Lander, who graduated this month with a degree in psychology, agreed with other students that Kohberger was a tough grader. Kohberger was the teaching assistant for the 400-level criminal justice class she took in the fall.
She said that toward the end of the semester, the professor for the class indicated he was unhappy with the amount of work Kohberger was doing and had not been responding to emails.
“He didn’t really seem like he wanted to be there, and his effort kind of showed,” Lander said.

It's maybe also possible that he has no real connection, only that he saw them at the bar that night. (I'm thinking of how Bundy operated.)
Absolutely which is why I said we will find out in the coming days and weeks ahead what connection he had to the victims.

Maybe my language wasn’t clear enough. I wasn’t trying to say that the suspect with certainty had a connection to the victims per se. But rather the fact that we will learn what connection he has to the victim in the near future.

It could be the suspect had no connection to the victims and was stalking them days, weeks, or months in advance from the bar, from the campus, from a restaurant etc etc.

So to make it more clear: We will learn in the days and weeks ahead what connection the suspect has to the victims if any.

Last edited:
Possibly washed up and they found his blood in the sink pipes? Tossed something in an hvac vent?
That was my thought, too: that they found his DNA sonewhere where BCK defence.will have an impossible task to prove that was left durung a social visit to the house or party.

That is why I think that they may found his DNA mixed with one victims DNA like blood.

HVAC vent is an interesting oprion, too, as HVAC contractor was at the house on the day when LE first asked the public for a help funding the white car owner and/or occupants.

@Cindizzi Do yo still have that link to the quote from yesterday which noted that the Elantra he was driving was the 2015 model? ( Remember, that interview with the other MPD LEO, after the presser, and I 'd assumed that Coffindaffer had made a mistake but I had got it wrong. She was right?)

On CNN late news, a former LE officer talked about how LE kept him under surveillance as he crossed the country. He either never suspected he was being tailed or didn’t react to it. He’s no genius.
So thankful for LE and their expertise in these things- especially considering all the negative flak thrown at them! So they had him under constant surveillance for quite a while? That would explain why they didn’t seem as worried about danger to the community as people thought they should.
Did the interviewee reveal anything else about tracking him? Did he say how long they had been tracking him? Maybe they put a tracker on his car so that they could tail him at a less conspicuous distance. (IMOO)
I did think for a while that it seems that LE knew who had done this, and it seemed that they always asked for information ABOUT the car around the time of murders, but not really “BOLO for this car now”.

from the media( no discussion) thread

'Stinchfield said Kohberger was the teacher’s assistant in one of Stinchfield’s criminology classes. He seemed disengaged most of the time and was a harsh grader, Stinchfield said.

”He was definitely kind of a creepy guy,” Stinchfield said.
Stinchfield said Kohberger seemed more distracted and disheveled in the days after the killings, letting his facial hair grow out
”We noticed distinctly, like, oh, he must be going through it. He’s, yeah, he’s looking a lot worse,” Stinchfield said.

Joey Famularo, another criminology student in one of Kohberger’s classes, said he “always seemed a little bit on edge.”
”We just assumed he was kind of shy,” Famularo said.
Famularo said Kohberger didn’t show up to class often enough to make much of an impression, but also noted his strict grading. Kohberger said he liked to challenge his students, Famularo said.
Around the time of the killings, Famularo said Kohberger shifted to almost rubber-stamp students’ assignments, though it’s hard to say whether the timing was coincidental because students had also recently confronted him about his grading.

Jasmine Lander, who graduated this month with a degree in psychology, agreed with other students that Kohberger was a tough grader. Kohberger was the teaching assistant for the 400-level criminal justice class she took in the fall.
She said that toward the end of the semester, the professor for the class indicated he was unhappy with the amount of work Kohberger was doing and had not been responding to emails.
“He didn’t really seem like he wanted to be there, and his effort kind of showed,” Lander said.

So this is the opposite of another post a couple up from here where students said he appeared happier and more carefree after the murders.

10ofRods said:
But it might have mattered to him. While virtually anybody is capable of an impulsive rage crime, I don't think this is that (at all).

If a person is trying to plan the perfect crime (and motivate himself to be a strong, manly man kind of person), they will work out. Pictures of this person over time show an overweight (slightly but visibly) teenager, who then slims down and then bulks up to some degree. HE thinks he needs to be stronger/use strength. I think a lot of killers think this way. They want to be strong, swift, etc.

So I do think it matters to the psychology of killers. He also chose a situation where the victims were most disadvantaged (so he is a coward, as stated by Mr G and IMO).

He's not a smart criminologist. He's a man who took 10 years after high school to get into a Ph.D program in criminology and then BLEW IT by killing people. If this is his first kill, I'll still stick by that. But I think his other crimes are lesser and so far undetected. I don't think he will a hardcore criminal record (so far, just a seatbelt violation).

Lots of academics lack common sense. And there's absolutely NO protection from a mentally disordered mind (many things can cause this). I don't think his main goal was not getting caught. The defiant, studied stare into the mug shot camera is unusual. I think it's aimed at someone - probably his family.

Motive is likely to be incomprehensible to everyone else and he will never take the stand. He's not stupid, he's disordered. Like many, many killers, too many to mention.
To be fair, I've said it before, the killer would be an absolute dumbass to attack a house and an area like that. I've argued with people before on this, but if Bryan wanted to conduct the "perfect" crime, he went totally the wrong way about it (and we can be thankful for that). The car bit was especially mind-numbingly stupid idea. That's why I believed this was more of a passionate kill, albeit planned. Because the killer would have to really want these people dead in order to overwhelm his own safety faculties, not only in the process of doing the crime but afterwards. And while we still don't know his motive as of yet, it doesn't seem to have been that personal

All in all, we can be thankful this guy was an absolute moron and not someone like DeAngelo otherwise this might never have been solved. I guess his lesson out of all this is that not everything you learn in school is applicable irl.

What arguments can someone use to fight extradition?
I don't think it's that you 'fight' extradition, it's that you don't waive it... Like you force the process to work through the system rather than just saying ok you can take me to Idaho. Kind of like requesting on a trial for speeding ticket vs. just paying the fine. IMO

And so you're standing in your bedroom in your boxer shorts, woken out of a deep sleep, confused, disoriented, frightened, shocked as hell, surrounded by 20 uniformed officers of various agencies combing through your childhood home, your parents looking on, frantic as you're provided the reason for your detainment: would it really occur to anyone here to ask, Has anyone else been arrested?
I think the significance of this question will become clear in time. Was it intended to lay the groundwork for a novel legal defense? Was someone else privy to some details of BK's activities? Too early to know.

So this is the opposite of another post a couple up from here where students said he appeared happier and more carefree after the murders.
yep

but beyond subjective, varying eye witness accounts, there seems to be an actual record of deteriorating performance. 'the professor for the class indicated he was unhappy with the amount of work Kohberger was doing and had not been responding to emails'
and also thought that the detail in there about confrontation with students over his 'harsh grading' and then ' rubber-stamped grading' might connect to motives or grudges.

and that comment 'seemed like he didn't want to be here' was also striking ( He's only been at WSU for a couple of months and presumably has at least 3 yrs left to his PhD there?)

Last edited:
The case broke open after law enforcement asked the public for help finding a white Hyundai Elantra sedan seen near the home around the time of the killings. The Moscow Police Department made the request Dec. 7, and by the next day had to direct tips to a special FBI call center because so many were coming in. By mid-December, investigators were working through nearly 12,000 tips and had identified more than 22,000 vehicles matching that make and model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Ed