GUILTY ID - Robert Manwill, 8, Boise, 24 July 2009 - #6

What for the life of someone would would make you stay with someone who is abusing your child at all much less that severely? I have heard women say they stay in abusive relationships because they love the guy or have heard of situations where children report abuse but the parent doesn't believe them. For the life of me I don't understand why she stayed in this relationship. From my understanding he didn't work and had NOTHING to offer MJ. I will probably never wrap my head around this one. I was at the funeral and watched her cry over something she could have prevented. She milked this for everything and I just don't get why she just didn't leave DE before it got to this point. Unless she was just as abusive to the child as DE was. Cant very well leave someone for abusing your child if you are also abusing him. After all SHE has the charge on her for her other child.

MJ in it up to her eyeballs IMO.

There are so many things that jump out at me and the trial isn't even half way through. One of the things I read earlier in one of the news articles somewhere today is how MJ's attorneys didn't want her to testify at DEs trial because she is a self confessed pathological liar. Hmmm It really makes me want to know what DE says happened. How does DE say the child died? Who does DE say put the boy in the canal? What is DE side of the story? The more I hear the more questions I have, but they sure don't go in the favor of MJ

There are so many things that jump out at me and the trial isn't even half way through. One of the things I read earlier in one of the news articles somewhere today is how MJ's attorneys didn't want her to testify at DEs trial because she is a self confessed pathological liar. Hmmm It really makes me want to know what DE says happened. How does DE say the child died? Who does DE say put the boy in the canal? What is DE side of the story? The more I hear the more questions I have, but they sure don't go in the favor of MJ

JUDGE COMPELS JENKINS TO TESTIFY AT EHRLICK'S TRIAL

BOISE--A judge has granted the state's motion to compel the testimony of Melissa Jenkins in her former boyfriend Daniel Ehrlick's trial. She would be granted immunity for that testimony, meaning it could not be used against her in her trial.

<modsnip>

Jenkins' attorney Rob Chastain did not want his client to testify because he says she is a chronic liar, and he argued that could get her in trouble on the witness stand. He also stated Jenkins is illiterate.

<modsnip>

http://www.ktvb.com/home/Judge-compels-Jenkins-to-testify-at-Ehrlicks-trial-98939724.html

The testimony presented to the Grand Jury by the pathologist helped me understand why Ehrlick is charged with Robert's murder and not Jenkins even though both Jenkins and Ehrlick admitted to Detectives that they were using various forms of &#8220;punishment&#8221; or &#8220;discipline&#8221; on Robert during the summer of 2009. The pathologist testified at the Grand Jury hearing that the injuries on Robert&#8217;s body discovered at autopsy were consistent with an adult male using his knees with force on a child&#8217;s abdomen from one or more abdominal impacts. GJ Trans at 61-63.

Defendant Ehrlick admitted that at least on one occasion he did put his knees on Robert&#8217;s abdomen and used his weight to keep Robert from wiggling during a &#8220;dead bugging&#8221; punishment and that he had done so about a week and a half to two weeks before Robert&#8217;s disappearance; however Testimony about the crush injuries to Robert&#8217;s abdomen and chest related to his cause of death indicated that those injuries were very recent and had occurred within a day or less before his death. GJ Trans at 58-59.
Like the abdominal injury which Robert endured prior to his death, the head injury he received while alive was lethal and was identified before the Grand Jury as the cause of death along with the severe abdominal and chest injuries. Jenkins told the grand jury that Robert was having a hard time walking and stumbled down the hall of their apartment. She acknowledged she should have sought medical attention for Robert.

Further details about the punishment Robert received are included near the end of the document.

<snipped>

Beginning on page 8 of the court documents, the pathologist testified at Autopsy, Robert Manwill had severe abdominal bleeding consistent with compressive injury to the abdomen. The forensic pathologist who testified at grand jury described in detail the extent of the compressive abdominal injuries, torn ligament of treitz, and excessive abdominal bleeding (including 500 cc of blood in Robert&#8217;s abdominal cavity). GJ Trans, at 54-59.

Further, the pathologist testified that the extent of the bleeding from these abdominal injuries in Robert Manwill&#8217;s abdomen caused red discoloration, resulting from the pressure of internal bleeding, to be visible externally through his abdominal skin and scrotum sack as his heart continued to beat and pushed more and more blood into Robert&#8217;s abdomen. GJ Trans. At 55-57.

The pathologist further testified that in addition to Robert&#8217;s abdominal injuries he found a &#8220;contusion to the lung, tip of the lung, and the chest and the abdomen are compressed so those injuries are consistent with impact to the chest and abdomen GJ Trans at 61 3-8.

Further the pathologist testified that the injuries on Robert&#8217;s body discovered at autopsy were consistent with an adult male using his knees with force on a child&#8217;s abdomen from one or more abdominal impacts. GJ Trans at 61-63. The Grant Jury testimony also showed that Defendant Jenkins and Defendant Ehrlick admitted to Detectives that they were using various forms of &#8220;punishment&#8221; or &#8220;discipline&#8221; on Robert during the summer of 2009.

Jenkins admitted that the &#8220;dead bugging&#8221; technique was &#8220;very difficult to do.&#8221; GJ test at 311. Jenkins admitted that on one occasion Robert Manwill complained to her that Ehrlick had hurt him by dropping a knee on his stomach during dead bugging. Defendant Ehrlick admitted that at least on one occasion he did put his knees on Robert&#8217;s abdomen and used his weight to keep Robert from wiggling during a dead bugging punishment and that he had done so about a week and a half to two weeks before Robert&#8217;s disappearance. The Grand Jury heard that Defendant Ehrlick weighed between 260-270 pounds at the time of the punishment. Robert Manwill weighed between 50-66 pounds at the time. Testimony about the crush injuries to Robert&#8217;s abdomen and chest related to his cause of death indicated that those injuries were very recent and had occurred within a day or less before his death. GJ Trans at 58-59.

Additionally autopsy results presented to the Grand Jury indicated that Robert Manwill had suffered a severe head injury. There was evidence of an impact injury to Robert&#8217;s head which occurred while he was alive. GJ Trans at 64. The head injury was caused by significant and painful force and caused internal bleeding while he was still alive. GJ Trans at 66. Like the abdominal injury which Robert endured prior to his death, the head injury he received while alive was lethal and was identified before the Grand Jury as the cause of death along with the severe abdominal and chest injuries.

http://images.bimedia.net/documents/ehrlick+jenkins+court+docs.pdf

The lawyers for Melissa Jenkins say she is too untrustworthy to be forced to testify against former boyfriend and co-defendant Daniel Ehrlick in his upcoming murder trial for the beating death of Robert Manwill last summer.

Jenkins&#8217; lawyers told 4th District Judge Darla Williamson Thursday that Jenkins is a &#8220;self-admitted and diagnosed compulsive liar&#8221; and will be setting herself up for a perjury charge if she doesn&#8217;t corroborate some statements she made to Boise police and others during the Robert Manwill murder investigation.

They also say whatever Jenkins does say in Ehrlick's trial will make it even harder for her to get a fair trial later this year due to intense media coverage of the case.

Jenkins, Manwill&#8217;s mother, is also charged with first degree murder. Jenkins is accused of knowing her 8-year-old son was beaten for weeks by Ehrlick in a pattern of &#8220;escalating physical violence&#8221; that climaxed in a severe and ultimately fatal head injury - and that she did nothing to stop it.

Read more: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/07/15/1268584/melissa-jenkins-attorneys-say.html#ixzz1NPh5pTDG

After reading these quotes from HER attorney and knowing she has prior abuse history and knowing this child was abused for a while for all I know MJ could have killed (and get chills saying this) her son herself. Her credibility means nothing to me and the more I know the worse it gets. Before I I just thought she was guilty for letting it go on, but now I just don't know. This is so hard for me. I don't want to be someone who judges anyone when I don't know the truth.

Reading the grand jury transcript does help it make more sense. So if I am to understand it correctly he had some internal bleeding going on for days or weeks? I would think that even if the head injury wouldn't have killed him that internal bleeding would have some some serious damage over time. Originally it had been said my niece had been swinging with him the night he went missing and I heard in testimony that someone in the apartment also saw him swinging. Maybe he got in trouble because he was outside and wasn't supposed to he outside. Maybe DE was worried he had told someone. My heart just breaks for that poor boy. The only peace is knowing he is no longer suffering and is no longer in any pain.

i cant imagine thi sort of abuse

this baby was subjected to unspeakable abuse
no one should be gvien liency
robert rip baby

Reading the grand jury transcript does help it make more sense. So if I am to understand it correctly he had some internal bleeding going on for days or weeks? I would think that even if the head injury wouldn't have killed him that internal bleeding would have some some serious damage over time. Originally it had been said my niece had been swinging with him the night he went missing and I heard in testimony that someone in the apartment also saw him swinging. Maybe he got in trouble because he was outside and wasn't supposed to he outside. Maybe DE was worried he had told someone. My heart just breaks for that poor boy. The only peace is knowing he is no longer suffering and is no longer in any pain.

Robert was such a beautiful child and my heart aches for all who knew and loved him.
You can also find comfort knowing MJ and DE will never be able to abuse another child as long as they both shall live. If I understand correctly, MJ's three children all had different fathers and the boy MJ assaulted was DE's biological son.

I totally agree with you; MJ could have fabricated the story that Robert told her DE dropped his knee on him and hurt him while he was in a dead bug position to implicate DE. Although witnesses said Robert appeared to fear DE, no one actually saw either of them lay a hand on him AFAIK and unfortunately Robert never told anyone he was being abused.

MJ said she noticed Robert was hurt the morning he died and she didn&#8217;t take him to the doctor but how do we know Robert didn&#8217;t die the night before when he came home from the playground? If MJ worked during the day, both MJ and DE would have been home in the evening with Robert and therefore both of them may have beaten him. I plan to read all of the Court documents tomorrow.

Although the forensic pathologist said he believes it was a male who crushed Robert&#8217;s abdomen because of his weight, it is possible MJ was the culprit since she too appears to weigh well over 200 pounds.

So how can the Medical Examiner actually prove DE physically abused Robert just before he died and not MJ? It is this statement by the pathologist that implicates DE for Robert's death and I think DE's defence team will be able to create reasonable doubt with his testimony upon cross examination.

MJ's sister said she disowned MJ after she learned MJ knew Robert was being abused and did nothing to stop it and DE said MJ would lash out at the drop of a hat.

MOO

I think at this point the hardest part is separating what is a lie and what is truth anymore. I don't think MJ fabricated the part about DE hurting Robert with his knee. Its some of the other things I question. Its a matter of when someone tells so many lies you just don't know when to believe them. She could tell me the sky is blue and I would have to look for myself just to confirm it. A lot of times you see in situations like this where one person will confess with the truth and the entire truth to save themselves. The person who isn't guilty, but knows who is comes forward and spills the entire truth to save themselves.

Although the Grand Jury testimony showed that Defendant Jenkins and Defendant Ehrlick admitted to detectives that "they" were using various forms of &#8216;punishment&#8221; or &#8220;discipline&#8221; on Robert Manwill during the summer of 2009, the evidence presented to the Grand Jury supports the allegation that defendant Ehrlick inflicted &#8220;extreme and prolonged pain&#8221; and &#8220;extreme and prolonged acts of brutality&#8221; on victim Robert Manwill.

A family member noticed bruises on Robert and confronted Defendant Jenkins about the injuries to Robert over the July 4th weekend.

Apparently MJ was not home on the evening of July 23rd, 2009 and Robert was left alone in the care of DE. There were problems between Defendant Ehrlick and Robert that were escalating on that evening and during the course of the evening Robert ended up vomiting. Sometime during this time period a noticeable hole appeared in the sheetrock at the apartment where Defendants Jenkins and Ehrlick lived. The fact there was undigested food found in Robert&#8217;s stomach at autopsy proves Robert was alive on the morning of July 23, 2009 and forced to eat breakfast despite the fact his health was rapidly declining.

DE was not the baby boy&#8217;s biological father but after the bio dad gave up his parental rights, DE got parental rights to the child and took excellent care of him according to case workers.

The pathologist testified that the injuries on Robert&#8217;s body discovered at autopsy were consistent with an adult male using his knees with force on a child&#8217;s abdomen from one or more abdominal impacts. Although Defendant Erhlick admitted that at least on one occasion he did put his knees on Robert Manwill&#8217;s abdomen and used his weight to keep Robert from wiggling during a dead bugging punishment and that he had done so about one and a half to two weeks prior to Robert&#8217;s disappearance, Testimony about the crush injuries to Robert&#8217;s abdomen and chest related to his cause of death indicate that those injuries were very recent and had occurred within a day or two of his death.

<snipped from Court documents>

Other evidence which shows Robert was enduring extreme and prolonged acts of pain and extreme and prolonged acts of brutality in other ways included acts of violence which included bruising/injury to Robert through other means, hiding him in a closet to keep authorities from identifying the injuries, striking him with a board, forcing him to eat a food he hated and then punishing him for gagging or vomiting when he consumed the food, placing him &#8220;on the wall&#8221;, and other forms of extreme conduct which caused extreme and prolonged pain or extreme and prolonged acts of brutality. Evidence of these other acts was presented to the Grand Jury as well.

The Grand Jury also heard that both Defendant Ehrlick and Defendant Jenkins knew that Robert was being bruised repeatedly and had multiple bruising injuries to his back, which they both claimed occurred from dead bugging. GJ Trans. At 138. Both Ehrlick and Jenkins acknowledged, however, that dead bugging alone would not have caused these bruises. GJ Trans. At 277, 313. The Grand Jury was told that both defendants tried to attribute the bruising on Robert to what they professed was a tendency to &#8220;bruise easily.&#8221; GJ Trans. At 275, 313. Nonetheless, both clearly recognized that the extent of the bruising and injury to Robert&#8217;s back was sufficient that both defendants felt the injuries needed to be hidden from authorities and others.

The Grand Jury was also told that both defendants participated in hiding Robert Manwill in a closet at their home during the three times a week that agents from the Department of Health and Welfare were visiting their home, and that they did so to prevent disclosure of the bruises and to prevent Robert from disclosing the abuse to others. GJ Trans. At 137-138, 154, 264-265, 322-326. Testimony was also provided that on July 17, 2009, Jenkins went so far as to tell the visiting social workers that Robert was no longer living with her and that she concocted a story for the worker telling her that Robert had injured a horse and was spending the rest of the summer with his custodial father as punishment. Jenkins story was concocted to prevent the agents from continuing to inquire about Robert&#8217;s unexplained absences in her home. GJ Trans. 189-199, 322-324.

The Grand Jury testimony also shows that both defendants knew that Robert was being injured and bruised from discipline techniques they referred to as &#8220;the board&#8221; wherein Robert was struck with a piece of door molding. GJ Trans. At 134-136, 309-310, 253-255. The length of time Robert suffered from this particular form of torture is demonstrated by the fact a family member had noticed these bruises on Robert and confronted Defendant Jenkins about the injuries to Robert over the July 4th weekend. GJ Trans. At 306-307. Likewise, autopsy results identified a deep buttocks bruise, not visible externally, which would be consistent with being struck by &#8220;the board&#8221; in the manner the defendants described. GJ Trans. at 151, 265, 308-309.

The Grand Jury transcript further shows that both defendants discussed another form of &#8220;discipline&#8221; which they referred to as &#8220;on the wall&#8221;, which Robert was physically incapable of completing, and yet another form of discipline wherein Robert was knelt down, his legs were crossed behind him, and he was leaned forward to touch the wall with his head or nose, causing pressure and pain to the front of his knees. GJ Trans. at 131-136, 256, 317-319. Likewise, the Grand Jury heard that the brutality and pain endured by Robert Manwill in his mother and Defendant Ehlrick&#8217;s custody included being forced to eat a particular food which Robert found extremely repugnant while the rest of the family ate other foods. GJ Trans. at 126-127, 133, 278, 317-319. As a result of being forced to eat this food, and his injuries, Robert was having problems with his weight and he would gag or vomit. GJ Trans. at 270, 316. The Grand Jury further heard that the gagging, vomiting, or complaining would result in further punishment and the excuse to continue to force him to eat the food he found so repulsive as punishment. They were also told that on the morning of July 24, 2009, in spite of his injuries and clear physical pain, Robert Manwill was forced by his mother and her boyfriend to consume this same food as punishment. They were also told that on the morning of July 24, 2009, in spite of his injuries and clear physical pain, Robert Manwill was forced by his mother and her boyfriend to consume this same food as punishment. GJ Trans. at 278, 333-337. This particular food was identified as being undigested in Robert&#8217;s stomach contents at autopsy. GJ Trans. at 30-31, 73.

Additionally, autopsy results presented to the Grand Jury indicated that Robert Manwill had suffered a severe head injury. There was evidence of an impact injury to Robert&#8217;s head which occurred while he was alive. GJ Trans. at 64. The head injury was caused by significant and painful force and caused internal bleeding while he was still alive. GJ Trans at 66. Like the abdominal injury which Robert endured prior to his death, the head injury he received while alive was lethal and was identified before the Grand Jury as the cause of death, along with the severe abdominal and chest injuries. The sleepiness, headache, and stumbling which Jenkins told Detectives Robert was complaining about on the morning of July 24, 2009, are consistent with having sustained this type of head injury. GJ Trans. at 65-68. Robert Manwill had been alone in the care of Defendant Ehrlick on the evening of July 23, 2009. There were problems between Defendant Ehrlick and Robert that were escalating on that evening and during the course of the evening Robert ended up vomiting. Sometime during this time period a noticeable hole appeared in the sheetrock at the apartment where Defendants Jenkins and Ehrlick lived. GJ Trans. at 140-143, 268-372, 328-334.

http://twitter.com/#!/KTVBJamieGrey
http://images.bimedia.net/documents/ehrlick+jenkins+court+docs.pdf

I have been following the tweets of the trial and I thought I had read that the reason H&W wasn't following Robert is because he wasn't supposed to be there for the summer and at one time I even read MJ wasn't even supposed to be living with DE. I had always wondered how H&W had not inquired or requested to see Robert when doing home visits, but then after yesterday I thought well it made more sense. If he wasn't supposed to be there and H&W didn't know he was in the home then they wouldn't know to check on him. Now today it seems like I am under a completely different impression by H&W. Either I am very much misunderstanding or the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing.

Any thoughts??

I have been following the tweets of the trial and I thought I had read that the reason H&W wasn't following Robert is because he wasn't supposed to be there for the summer and at one time I even read MJ wasn't even supposed to be living with DE. I had always wondered how H&W had not inquired or requested to see Robert when doing home visits, but then after yesterday I thought well it made more sense. If he wasn't supposed to be there and H&W didn't know he was in the home then they wouldn't know to check on him. Now today it seems like I am under a completely different impression by H&W. Either I am very much misunderstanding or the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing.

Any thoughts??

Yes but first I want to know if I am allowed to discuss what is being tweeted by a reporter from the Court room.

Actually the main reason H&W wasn't following Robert was because H&W didn&#8217;t have legal custody of Robert, his biological father did. Therefore the case worker with H&W said they didn&#8217;t have any legal rights/obligations to Robert although she said they would want to know about him. She made a home visit in June 2009 and because MJ and DE didn't inform her that Robert was staying with them, she had no reason to inspect the home. Daniel, who is not the baby boy's biological father but was granted parental rights, always acted appropriate with the baby boy during her visits.

This case worker was the one who said Jenkins was not allowed to live with Ehrlick in the Spring of 2009 but she didn't say if this was a Court-ordered decision. She said Jenkins was living with DE's father but all the visits appeared to be at Ehlrick's apartment.

The parent aid and visitations specialist contracted through H&W for visits with Ehlrick and Jenkins and Jenkins' baby son who visited 3 times/week did meet Robert and it appears they never communicated he was staying with his mother to the case worker who admitted if Robert was visiting his mother, she would want to know.

Family and friends were well aware there were problems in Robert&#8217;s relationship with Daniel and a family member confronted MJ when they saw bruises on Robert on July 4; however no witness who has testified so far in the trial stated they contacted H&W to inform them Robert was staying with his mother and in their opinion was "in imminent danger". Most people would never suspect a parent would allow their child to be punished and harmed in the manner Robert was even though Jenkins was previously convicted for harming her other child. Jenkins and Ehlrick purposely withheld information from everyone and hid Robert to cover up the abuse he was subjected when it escalated during the month of July so IMO it is Jenkins and DE who are fully responsible for what happened to Robert.

The parent aid who taught parenting techniques using a course called "Love and Logic" testified there wasn&#8217;t a lot of interaction between Robert and DE.&#8221; She described DE as being indifferent and detached towards Robert. She described Robert as &#8220;a very, very sweet kid who was very, very friendly and very outgoing&#8230; a little chatterbox&#8221;. Sometimes Manwill was there for visits, other times not. She never looked for him in apartment because that was not part of duties. Said H&W didn&#8217;t require parent aid to see children during visits and because she didn't notice any bruises on Robert and he didn't confide in her about the abuse, she is not at fault.

The visitations specialist contracted through H&W for visits with Ehlrick and Jenkins and Jenkins' baby son visited 3 times/week because the baby boy was assessed to be in &#8220;imminent danger&#8221;. These H&W workers only had positive things to say about Ehrlick. Said he did everything right to get custody of baby son. Ehrlick had a cupboard where he kept specialty food for Manwill&#8217;s baby brother. Specialist had met Manwill and said &#8220;Robert was a pretty timid, but yet outgoing child. Really well-mannered. Liked to engage with you.&#8221;

A social worker who specializes in &#8220;family preservation services&#8221; made 3 scheduled home visits per week in the summer of 2009 at Ehrlick and Jenkins' apt. Her job was to help teach alternatives to physical punishment. Her home visits were always prescheduled, not random, so MJ and DE hid Robert during their visits. Although it is not their role to investigate, they are required to report any signs of abuse to H&W.

In the summer of 2009, Melissa Jenkins told social worker Robert Manwill wanted their family to only be her and him. Social workers didn&#8217;t see Robert after June 26 and although this worker requested a one-on-one with Manwill, it never happened and Ehlrick/Jenkins always had excuses prepared to justify Robert&#8217;s absences.

The probation/parole officer who supervised Jenkins after she was convicted for committing a misdemeanor injury to a child (skull fracture to the baby) met with Jenkins monthly. Before July's meeting, Jenkins called agent to say Manwill was missing and Jenkins was arrested before their next meeting. The PO didn't say if she knew Manwill was staying with his mother.

Although the trial began with 16 jurors: 8 men/8 women, Fourth District Judge Darla Williamson dismissed 1 male juror due to illness.

One of the reports said MJ told someone Robert was returned to his father as punishment for injuring a horse. How could an 8-year-old boy who weighed approximately 50-60 pounds harm a horse!!

Actually the main reason H&W wasn't following Robert was because H&W didn&#8217;t have legal custody of Robert, his biological father did.
I do remember reading that also, but I thought I had read somewhere or heard on the live news coverage one of the nights that Robert wasn't supposed to be there for the summer visit.

She said Jenkins was living with DE's father but all the visits appeared to be at Ehlrick's apartment.
This was another thing that I wasn't clear on. It was my understanding MJ wasn't supposed to be living with DE. After hearing that DE was given custody of the baby and MJ wasn't supposed to be living there it made sense why Robert wasn't supposed to be living there.

The parent aid and visitations specialist contracted through H&W for visits with Ehlrick and Jenkins and Jenkins' baby son who visited 3 times/week did meet Robert and it appears they never communicated he was staying with his mother to the case worker who admitted if Robert was visiting his mother, she would want to know.
This is what I mean about the right hand not knowing what the left hand was doing. Sure they didn't have custody of Robert, but IMO they should have had a moral obligation or conscientious obligation to inquire Robert when they saw him at the visitation. When a worker is visiting a home three times a week its clearly high risk. If the worker was only visiting once a month then this family would be a lower risk family and it might have been different, but you just don't visit every family that many times a week. I by all means am not placing blame on anyone here, but I think there were some holes in the system and I hope that the system fixes those holes because just maybe this could have been prevented.

H&W workers said DE was a model parent and did everything he could to try to get custody of Robert&#8217;s stepbrother. AFAIK Daniel won parental rights to the boy when the biological father surrendered his so it sounds like Daniel did not yet have custody of the boy but that was his intention. Therefore I doubt Daniel was seriously interested in building a relationship with Melissa and he was only wanted her son not her. This would have created a serious rift and crisis between Melissa and Daniel and should have raised a red flag for H&W yet it was ignored. Imagine the impact Daniel&#8217;s intention would have had on Melissa who didn&#8217;t allow her daughter to be around him Daniel and didn't have primary custody of Robert.

One of the two workers who did know Robert was visiting his mother testified there wasn&#8217;t a lot of interaction between Robert and DE and she described Daniel Ehlrick as indifferent and detached towards Robert which makes perfect sense if Daniel&#8217;s intention was to separate from Melissa and win primary custody of her younger son.

http://www.ktvb.com/video?id=122693959&sec=586132

Idaho-Native, after I took a closer look at the Case Worker&#8217;s testimony, I believe she could possibly be considered incompetent and negligent in performing her duties and responsibilities.

She was the worker who claimed Jenkins wasn&#8217;t allowed to live with Ehrlick in the Spring of 2009 yet 2 workers confirmed all the home visits were at Ehrlick Jr&#8217;s apartment.
She said as far as she knew Jenkins was living with Daniel&#8217;s father but she admitted she never bothered to confirm whether this was true and she made a home visit in June 2009and I assume it was at Daniel Jr's apartment although she didn't confirm this either. I don't think MJ would have abandoned her son and stayed elsewhere so if the visit was scheduled, MJ likely "disappeared" until the worker left and she may even have hidden herself in a closest until she left and Daniel told her it was safe for her to come out. This seems the most likely scenario.

Where is Melissa's daughter, the one she didn't want Ehrlick around? This case worker said she never met Manwill or knew he had a summer visit yet she admitted H&W would want to know about him even though they did not have legal custody. IMO this worker does not possess the initiative and ability to work effectively on child welfare cases because she didn't bother to conduct an investigation on her own to verify the information she was told nor keep herself informed and up-to-date on the latest developments.

If MJ wasn&#8217;t allowed to live with Daniel Jr, why didn&#8217;t H&W help her find suitable accommodations for herself and her son and help her fill out an application for govt housing or make a referral to the appropriate agent? Apparently MJ was illiterate so she would have required assistance to initiate this change which would have been an important step in helping her gain her independence. Living with Daniel&#8217;s father was not an appropriate alternative or solution and I wonder if the agents discriminated against MJ because of her prior conviction and favored Daniel Jr.

Things aren&#8217;t always what they appear to be and it seems like this worker was fooled by appearances and Daniel Jr intentionally deceived her and everyone else so he could gain custody of MJ&#8217;s youngest son who would have been Robert&#8217;s step brother.

If DE had a criminal record, was unemployed, doing drugs, and had a violent temper which his neighbors confirmed he did, his parental rights should have been terminated yet H&W seemed to be fully supporting his objective to gain custody of MJ's son. DE made the excuse he couldn't complete his parenting classes because he couldn't find a babysitter.

Ehrlick told investigators Robert's mother, Melissa Jenkins, had been increasingly violent in the months just before Robert's death, and he wanted to leave her and take their younger son with him yet the forensic pathologist claimed it was a male who inflicted pain and suffering upon Robert during "dead bugging" by dropping his knees on him and applied the fatal blow to Robert's head the evening he was in charge of Robert and had "problems with his behavior." While Robert was dying, he was forced to eat oatmeal and raisins which was found in his stomach during the autopsy.

When DE faked a suicide attempt, the report said he had access to pills and although 90 pills were mentioned, I don't know if this amount was actually found in his possession. But since he had access to pills and smoked pot, perhaps he was a drug addict.

When exactly did Robert's visit with his mother begin?

<snipped>

Next witness: Another Health and Welfare worker. She was a case manager. This case manager did not ever meet Manwill. She was involved with the case w/ Jenkins' other son in 2008.

Said Jenkins was not allowed to live with Ehrlick in spring 09. Said she was living at Ehrlick's dad's home. Witness never confirmed this.

No, but Ehrlick paternal rights to the baby, and the baby's biological father gave up rights.

Made home visit in June 2009. Didn't see Manwill; she didn't know he had a summer visit. Worker did not inspect home.

Witness talked to #Ehrlick after Manwill missing:&#8220;Danny was upset because he said he was the one that was supposed to be watching Robert.&#8221;

H&W didnt have legal custody of R. Manwill, so they didn't have legal rights/obligations to him, but would want to know about him.

H&W worker: "[Jenkins] was the one that had admitted the injury to [baby son]...Danny was always appropriate and took care of [him]."

I will have to go back and look to see what article I read it in, but I did recently read something about H&W conducting an internal investigation. There are certainly a lot of unanswered questioned and a lot of things that don't make sense. I know that around here the list for city housing is very long, but H&W can get people refereed to the top of the list, but I think you have to have a qualifying child to be on housing and if Robert only visited part time in the summer I don't know if MJ would have even qualified for any housing program. The impression I get from those who lived in the apartments both her and DE lived there and she did NOT live with DE Sr. It kind of sounds like they were hiding both Robert and MJ from H&W for the most part with an occasional "they're here to visit DE and the baby." I keep trying to tell myself the people that need to know such as the attorney's and such have asked all the questions we have asked and just because we haven't heard a good answer doesn't mean they don't have an explanation and not to jump to conclusions about holes and cracks and such just yet. Trying to keep an open mind until its all done and over before I form too many opinions on who was neglectful.

I will have to go back and look to see what article I read it in, but I did recently read something about H&W conducting an internal investigation. There are certainly a lot of unanswered questioned and a lot of things that don't make sense. I know that around here the list for city housing is very long, but H&W can get people refereed to the top of the list, but I think you have to have a qualifying child to be on housing and if Robert only visited part time in the summer I don't know if MJ would have even qualified for any housing program. The impression I get from those who lived in the apartments both her and DE lived there and she did NOT live with DE Sr. It kind of sounds like they were hiding both Robert and MJ from H&W for the most part with an occasional "they're here to visit DE and the baby." I keep trying to tell myself the people that need to know such as the attorney's and such have asked all the questions we have asked and just because we haven't heard a good answer doesn't mean they don't have an explanation and not to jump to conclusions about holes and cracks and such just yet. Trying to keep an open mind until its all done and over before I form too many opinions on who was neglectful.

Did either MJ or DE work?

Since Robert was attending school which normally ends near the end of June, the earliest he would have arrived at his mother's would have been in the first week in July 2009 so he was only there approximately 3 weeks.

Where was MJ's baby boy living in July 2009? DE told the parenting specialist he couldn't finish his classes because he couldn't find a babysitter so the baby boy must have been living at his apartment.

Apparently MJ's daughter is in foster care and MJ had visiting rights. DE wasn't allowed to be alone with MJ's daughter.

Singles or those with children and living on a low fixed income can apply for subsidized housing where I live.

If MJ wasn't supposed to live with DE Jr (and since the case worker stated this to be true when she testified at Ehrlick's trial) and Melissa was on a low income, Melissa should have been at the top of the list for subsidized housing IMO and H&W should have helped her apply for housing. Staying with Ehrlick's father is not an appropriate placement IMO but the worker said she didn't really know where Melissa was staying.

Next witness: Health and Welfare worker - case manager. Never met Manwill. Was involved in his brother&#8217;s case. Said Jenkins was not allowed to live with Ehrlick in spring 2009. Jenkins was living with Daniel&#8217;s father. Ehrlick got paternal rights of Robert&#8217;s step brother when father gave up rights. Made home visit in June 2009. Wasn&#8217;t aware Robert was living there visiting in the summer. Didn&#8217;t inspect the home. Talked to Ehrlick after Robert was reported missing and he said he was upset because he was supposed to be watching Robert. H&W didnt have legal custody of R. Manwill, his bio father did, so they didn't have legal rights/obligations to him, but would want to know about him. Jenkins admitted she hurt the baby boy and this witness said Danny always acted appropriate and took care of him.

Day 10 of the Ehrlick trial

First we learn two people taught &#8220;Protective Parenting&#8221; classes. One taught Melissa Jenkins and the other taught Daniel Ehrlick. Daniel said he didn&#8217;t finish the course because he couldn&#8217;t find a babysitter. The classes therefore we not at his apartment which explains why these two workers didn't know Robert was visiting in the summer of 2009.

This parenting teacher who testified today taught Melissa. Jamie Grey didn&#8217;t tell us what she said on the stand.

Previous testimony from Parenting teacher who taught Daniel Ehlrick:
In the classes, Ehrlick learned about child abuse and emotional effects. He didn't finish the class; said he couldn't find childcare. In Idaho, spanking (with hand, object, etc.) is legal as long as no marks are left, but she discourages this form of discipline. Witness taught Ehrlick "Protective Parenting" classes as part of his Health and Welfare voluntary plan (for custody of Jenkins' baby son).

Today, after hearing testimony from Daniel Ehlrick's three past girlfriends, I wonder if Melissa's lawyer should have used a battered women's syndrome as her defense when she was charged with aiding and abetting. None of the ex-girlfriends notified police when they were abused by Daniel Jr. so he was never charged as he should have been and his abuse was allowed to continue.

Next state witness: Woman who dated Ehrlick when she was 17 y/o and lived with his family. Says he was violent with her nearly every day. Defense is objecting to nearly every question about verbal/physical abuse. Attorney says irrelevant to case. Judge keeps allowing it. On cross examination, witness admits she never went to a doctor for injuries or told police about assaults. Witness says when she dated DE as a teenager; he would choke her to unconsciousness, lock her in bedroom, and call her names.

Next witness: Another of Ehrlick's ex-girlfriends. Lived together for a year (at his parents, a motel, a friend's laundry room). Ex-girlfriend says she escaped from motel where she lived w/Ehrlick. This ex-girlfriend is also testifying Ehrlick was violent, including trying to push her out of a moving car, choking her while she slept. Says he came after her and beat her behind a grocery store.

Next witness: A third ex-girlfriend who dated Ehrlick in 2004. She also dated Ehrlick's brother before. Ex-girlfriend says Ehrlick was like Jekyl and Hyde "He would go from being just totally cool, to just going off." Ex-girlfriend says Ehrlick's brother was also abusive to her when they dated. Says Ehrlick seemed to be good with her toddler daughter. Ex-girlfriend got out of relationship with Ehrlick when she tried to kill herself. "I'd rather be dead than in a relationship w/ him." This ex-girlfriend has gotten shelter and mental health help from various places since relationship inc. Intermountain and women's shelter.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseymarie9316