If LE had been more forthcoming in the early days...

I thought the GJ started sometime in early August, on this case?
DeDe was called IIRC on the 26th of July, I thought she was the first to be called, but I can't remember, I'm sure if BeanE reads this she will give us the date in a nano second.

With all due respect, armchair quarterbacking is easy.

Look, I harp on innocent until proven guilty because good cops can make "bad" mistakes. Innocently (much like innocent people can be convicted).

They are not omniscient. Things come together over time. Look at how discussions here progress, and remember they were inundated with calls in the initial weeks.

Nor do they know which information will yield which result. The various LE agencies have their tools, but none is foolproof.

Human nature is one statistical variant that is not easy to solve.

No disrespect, it's a valid question, it needs to be asked, I'm not one who bows to authority blindly, but.... You couldn't have a more earnest, hardworking LE agency. They're not God, folks. They're just humans trying their best to use their talents, knowledge and experience to bring one sweet little boy home.

It comes to mind, and this probably can go on the "unusual" thread.....that LE has spent and continues to spend an inordinate amount of time trying to verify Terri's alibi. Is that typical? Don't they typically say to a "de facto suspect" "Hey, you don't have an alibi and therefore you are a suspect." Why have they put so much effort into trying to verify Terri's whereabouts? Isn't that for her attorney to do, find people who will corroborate her story?

It's been reported that they have bank records and cell phone pings which contradict her story. She has an alibi but there are holes in her story. It looks like LE thinks she had help, which also complicates things. Couple that with the fact that Kyron or his body hasn't been located and it means LE has a puzzle with a bunch of missing pieces. We're not sure if LE has a good idea of how her and Kyron left the school. If they are going to charge her without a living Kyron or a body then they'll likely need her day mapped out as completely as possible.

I'm sure they've made mistakes in this case, every investigation that goes on this long will definitely have missteps. How germane those mistakes are to solving the case is unknowable at this point. In the Somer Thompson case I was very critical of LE once we found out her killer was under their noses all along but that fact didn't come out until after he was arrested.

It would have helped ALOT..
IF Terri is innocent, someone is running free...
I think the family should have came out right away..because they didn't, alot of people didn't take it serious enough.... Time is precious and so is KYRON...

IMO LE should try to investigate in order to both confirm or verify the suspect's alibis because if they leave the confirming part up to the suspect's lawyer they will waste a lot of time to hunting for dead ends. There may be an easy way to rule out a suspect but if they don't investigate in order to confirm what he said they might not find out about it until the trial, if any, which can be several months or years later. If they then get egg on their face at the trial when the suspect's lawyer produces the proof that their suspect was where he said he was they have to start all over again and the trail is gonna be freezing cold.

It's better for them to try and confirm the people's alibis even if they end up doing some of the defence attorneys' jobs for them because it allows them to rule non-suspects out in a timely manner to go forward in the investigation.

:cow:

The trouble is no one can elimination Terri. She has done nothing to help find Kyron.:banghead: SHOOT! she done nothing to elimonation her self...

I am grateful that there LE in the family. I am pretty sure that he got a lot more experience than any of us.

I will keep thinking postive that LE is doing what needs to be done to bring Kyron home. JMO

Well, she subjected herself to 2 polygraphs and started a third. She seemed to have some initial role, though she had a very young daughter to help care for.

Who knows what else she did that we don't know about. Who knows why. I think if I were the stepmom and the first words out of Mom's mouth were along the lines of me doing something to harm her child, I'd be scared and worried.

If I really loved the little boy, I'd be a wreck.

My computer just reminded me it's almost my brother's birthday. I so wish Kyron would come home by the 9th. I.... can't.... imagine....

What a nightmare for his family.

Well, she subjected herself to 2 polygraphs and started a third. She seemed to have some initial role, though she had a very young daughter to help care for.

Who knows what else she did that we don't know about. Who knows why. I think if I were the stepmom and the first words out of Mom's mouth were along the lines of me doing something to harm her child, I'd be scared and worried.

If I really loved the little boy, I'd be a wreck.

My computer just reminded me it's almost my brother's birthday. I so wish Kyron would come home by the 9th. I.... can't.... imagine....

What a nightmare for his family.

BBM - Initial role or something she did not want her husband to know about.

While I understand how this can be one in the same, it can also have 2 different implications. I bet dollars to donuts that she was doing something that she did not want Kaine to know about, and when poor Kyron went missing she was worried about how bad it would look. I can easily see that none of them thought Kyron would be gone longer than 24 hours, then longer than a week, then longer than 2 weeks. We, who do not know this child or family, are beside ourselves that he is not getting to celebrate his birthday with his family and that he has been gone from his family for so long.

I would love it if LE would come out with more now. Hearing that they are getting 1 to 5 tips an hour now, as opposed to the volume they were getting in the beginning makes me wonder. They still want people to come forward about the truck (this was just on HLN), obviously they are not getting what they want or the puzzle piece they feel they need. What they released today wasn't much of a bone.

Happy Birthday Kyron, and Happy Birthday Mom:angel:

...I would love it if LE would come out with more now. Hearing that they are getting 1 to 5 tips an hour now, as opposed to the volume they were getting in the beginning makes me wonder. They still want people to come forward about the truck (this was just on HLN), obviously they are not getting what they want or the puzzle piece they feel they need. What they released today wasn't much of a bone.

Respectfully edited. Do you have a link to information about the case that was released today? Thanks.

Respectfully edited. Do you have a link to information about the case that was released today? Thanks.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113917"]2010.09.09 - Thursday *~*~* Today's Current News *~*~* NO DISCUSSIONS - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

I still can't get over this video....The part of Terri and Kaine getting in the car....I guess it's the avoidance... This video was taken about 3 days after Kyron was missing...Please correct me if I'm wrong...!! http://www.katu.com/news/local/96033344.html?tab=video

The "thanks" button just isn't enough. I hadn't seen that one before and it just..chilled me. The hair literally stood up on my arms.

Interesting how TH has been slammed for going to the gym, eh? And also slammed for the "hitting the gym" comment in her FB, while her many many comments thanking others, telling how they could help, have been ignored. Three words pulled out and quoted over and over but no quotes on all the interaction with those who were sending good wishes, prayers, and who wanted to help.

Interestingly enough, I never saw any interaction or "thank you" on KH's FB page. (Note, when last I checked these pages had "disappeared" but I believe many have kept copies.) So they both go to the gym, Kaine is the one approached directly and he ignores the reporter, TH is doing something, what she can, by interacting with people on FB, and KH is apparently busy elsewhere, but we do know that TH is trying to help.

OOPS, rambling a bit. But maybe if LE had been more forthcoming, hadn't tried that LS "sting"--in which TH acted like anyone, especially any woman, would if 2 guys, one a complete stranger, showed up to shake her down re: a MHF plot--and had, from the get-go not decided and announced that other children were safe, and also published more information about known sex offenders, yes, things could have been different.

Someone tried to snatch 2 other children in that area around that time, different cases, but still...hmmm. Then someone assaults a little boy in a Beaverton park.

Like others, I've researched registered sex offenders in that area, and there's a huge boatload of them. Allong with what reportedly is a transient "camp" and vagrants hanging out in the wooded areas around the school. Plus, of course, the report of seeing a Kyron look-alike with a vagrant (black, so the child clearly not his son) fairly early on. That was followed here on WS via our scanner thread.

BTW, what ever happened to that man and that report? The person who reported the sighting said that she'd seen him before, he wasn't threatening, and she got the impression he was taking care of this child.

Somehow, that incident just got....lost. Disappeared? I dunno.

LE needed to proactively address parental concerns instead of announcing "all clear". They needed to provide information to parents and the public about sex offenders, and clearly provide information about how to access the lists and photos online. (BTW, Oregon makes it harder to find that info than does other states.) They needed to address the issues of transients in that area, especially close to the school.

They needed to provide leadership in educating the public about potential problems, providing information, including how to find photos of RSOs in that area, and doing other educational outreach--while also asking for the public's help if anything, anything at all related to known SOs or vagrants jiggled a memory. They could have done all this without alarming anyone, just matter of factly--especially since a school snatching was involved.

Instead, they said "nothing to worry about here folks, move along now, don't worry your little heads" (this is not an exact quote but is my impression of the words and image they presented)--and then focused on proving TH did something.

In this day of instant-access media reports, blogs, websites, cellphones, everyone seems to be able to text, take pix, even videos, our interconnectedness is amazing, they could have provided a lot more than a missing child flyer, a "don't worry ya'll" and then a failed sting, other fliers about white trucks--while missing that the groundskeeper had been there that day, had valuable testimony *and* drove a white truck -- and focusing on TH.

Yes, I know they did searches, and no doubt very good ones. I'm not talking about that--I'm replying to the thread topic of "could they have been more forth coming?". Yes, they could have been, they threw away a valuable opportunity for community education, information sharing, and therefore more opportunity for the community to provide information and potentially leads that didn't include TH.

I still haven't ruled out a predator, nor have I ruled out the idea that the predator may not have been a total stranger. That's JMO, though. What I want is more facts and data, hard facts and data, other than hearsay, unproven allegations, inter-family accusations and drama, and so far, an investigation that has seemingly led nowhere--although other children have been approached and/or attacked by SOs in that area. Hmmm.

Sorry for the length but this is basically my chance for awhile to comment.

In this case I really feel that what ever happened to Kyron was premeditated and very well planned out. I wonder if LE have or will consider perhaps checking photos and video's from familys at Skyline school from previous fairs or occasions when parents were invited. I would suspect who ever is responsible had been at a previous function to get a feel for the school and their security. I really think who ever is responsible knew the lax of security from a previous event and planned it out. It would be interesting to see the difference in attendance from one event to another, who participated etc....

In this case I really feel that what ever happened to Kyron was premeditated and very well planned out. I wonder if LE have or will consider perhaps checking photos and video's from familys at Skyline school from previous fairs or occasions when parents were invited. I would suspect who ever is responsible had been at a previous function to get a feel for the school and their security. I really think who ever is responsible knew the lax of security from a previous event and planned it out. It would be interesting to see the difference in attendance from one event to another, who participated etc....

Well said.

I wonder if LE has investigated Kyron's entire extended family, including step cousiins and aunts and uncles and the like. I've not read of any of them being brought in for questioning, nor any of his grandparents, for that matter. I just wonder becaause of LE's stance from the beginning led one to conclude that this was a domestic issue as opposed to a stranger abduction.

Personally, I believe that was a completely inappropriate approach, when they clearly had no clue that pointed to a specific person, at that time. One has to contemplate whether their focus on the SM was to bolster their initial claims that this was an isolated incident and the public had no reason to fear a child predator was on the loose.

I know LE generally holds things back in an investigation but I hope in this case, they are not holding something back that perhaps, if known, could have led to Kyron by now, triggered a memory, for example. This case is so different from a murder case, when LE has all the time they want to gather clues and build a case, not showing their hand, but while a child is still missing, it doesn't make sense to operate under such a veil of secrecy when there is no way to tell what might bring a resolution, if only the public knew what they were looking for.

I have NOT read all of these....But Something sure stinks. If we are to believe Terri is the culprit, WHY has she not been arrested? Le is not convinced, why should we be?

YES, this goes against every fiber of my being, but why no charges?

and less secretive, might there have been a better chance of a solution in this case by now? If they had revealed a timeline, explained Terri's movements, asked for witnesses (to those movements) back in early June. perhaps created and displayed a diagram of the parking lot complete with vehicles, etc....instead of backtracking on times of sightings, refusing to answer almost any questions, and practically ceasing all communication with the public and media?

No one can know for sure, but it seems to me that little would have been lost as far as the "integrity of the investigation" if LE had been more open about what info they did have and what they needed help with, much earlier on. Building a case is one thing, something usually done once the missing person is found or at least later on in the investigation, but this case it seems to have been a priority from the start. Finding Kyron seems to have become almost incidental to the supreme importance of tying up their case. I fear that they lost fresh memories that can never be restored and could possibly have led to locations as yet unknown.
I would hope that it would have helped however I'm reminded of a case not so long ago, Victoria Stafford where there was a video released of Tori walking away with the perp as well as photo's of the car witnesses and everything. It wasn't until one of the perps confessed that there was a resolution in the case and Tori was found. These things are revealed in Gods time not ours.

YES, this goes against every fiber of my being, but why no charges?

Because in Oregon once charges are filed they have 60 days to take it to court, if Terri requests a speedy trial. If the SA doesn't get a conviction and they find that one piece of evidence that ties her directly to this they can not retry her its double jeopardy.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ateav
Back