IL - Actor Jussie Smollett, hate crime hoax, Jan 2019 *Guilty* #7

I wonder this too along with who put him up to this? So stupid on many levels.
I have never seen anything that has led me to believe that anyone else put him up to it. What was his motivation? Fame? Sympathy? Political? Some weird combination of those most likely. But his actions were just the beginning. Then came the response from the celebrity world, Hollywood, political reactions, local and national, and behind the scenes actions. Then the DA's agreements. I think before long so many very powerful people had gotten involved that it was difficult to walk back. It really exposed a lot of people. And so in some sort of strange way to excuse it, those folks are still behind him to try to overcome these charges, even though everyone really knows what happened. "See, we got it all overturned, it didn't actually happen that way" and just walk away. I don't think Jussie if funding his lawyers. He doesn't have THAT kind of money.

I have never seen anything that has led me to believe that anyone else put him up to it. What was his motivation? Fame? Sympathy? Political? Some weird combination of those most likely. But his actions were just the beginning. Then came the response from the celebrity world, Hollywood, political reactions, local and national, and behind the scenes actions. Then the DA's agreements. I think before long so many very powerful people had gotten involved that it was difficult to walk back. It really exposed a lot of people. And so in some sort of strange way to excuse it, those folks are still behind him to try to overcome these charges, even though everyone really knows what happened. "See, we got it all overturned, it didn't actually happen that way" and just walk away. I don't think Jussie if funding his lawyers. He doesn't have THAT kind of money.

So what will happen when he loses his appeal and his bond is revoked and he is told to report for jail?

Probably a big show going to jail. There was a huge show when going to court.

I wonder this too along with who put him up to this? So stupid on many levels.
No one "put him up to this"... it isnt a conspiracy theory. Its just one person who in the long run makes it harder for the staggeringly increasing amount of hate crimes to be taken seriously. And that hurts so many people

So what will happen when he loses his appeal and his bond is revoked and he is told to report for jail?

That assumes he loses his appeal. He shouldn't, but there are powerful people at work here and this is Illinois.
Now, if he does lose and is ordered to jail, i would expect a clemency request or something along those lines. It will be interesting if he does have to serve. He certainly wont have to do the full time I am guessing. And I don't know where he would have to serve it. He has angered a lot in the LE community, and many in a jail would not be too kind to him either. So he would certainly need to be watched carefully and/or segregated. If he had just admitted it from the start, served a bit (he honestly may have gotten a suspended sentence if he had admitted it) he would be done a long time ago. Hollywood is very forgiving, he would back to rebuilding his career.

That assumes he loses his appeal. He shouldn't, but there are powerful people at work here and this is Illinois.
Now, if he does lose and is ordered to jail, i would expect a clemency request or something along those lines. It will be interesting if he does have to serve. He certainly wont have to do the full time I am guessing. And I don't know where he would have to serve it. He has angered a lot in the LE community, and many in a jail would not be too kind to him either. So he would certainly need to be watched carefully and/or segregated. If he had just admitted it from the start, served a bit (he honestly may have gotten a suspended sentence if he had admitted it) he would be done a long time ago. Hollywood is very forgiving, he would back to rebuilding his career.

Why do you think he should win his appeal?

He will be a PITA. Probably spend the entire time in some sort of medical ward, away from the "great unwashed". Because, there probably is potential for him having problems.

He is a complete drama queen, so if he gets even a hang nail in jail, he will scream about "abuse" and "negligence". So, if he ever does go to jail, it will probably be some sort of pampered area. Not unlike the jail situation they have in Los Angeles County jail, for people who are famous.

No one "put him up to this"... it isnt a conspiracy theory. Its just one person who in the long run makes it harder for the staggeringly increasing amount of hate crimes to be taken seriously. And that hurts so many people
I think it’s a little more than that. His “village” as he called them reacted without much thought. imo People really wanted it to be true so they jumped all over it. That’s harmful as well.

Let something sit for a moment before reacting. It wasn’t difficult to see this whole scenario was ludicrous. moo

He will be a PITA. Probably spend the entire time in some sort of medical ward, away from the "great unwashed". Because, there probably is potential for him having problems.

He is a complete drama queen, so if he gets even a hang nail in jail, he will scream about "abuse" and "negligence". So, if he ever does go to jail, it will probably be some sort of pampered area. Not unlike the jail situation they have in Los Angeles County jail, for people who are famous.

Not a medical ward, locked alone in a cell for protection. This is worse than being in the general population. He thinks he might be killed in jail so he can request protective custody. Not cushy, just private and mind numbingly boring.

Aside from commissary, jail care packages, magazines and books he can order from a third party, letters and phone calls, he could have email, a tablet and video visits. No internet.

I think it’s a little more than that. His “village” as he called them reacted without much thought. imo People really wanted it to be true so they jumped all over it. That’s harmful as well.

Let something sit for a moment before reacting. It wasn’t difficult to see this whole scenario was ludicrous. moo
well based on statistics and trends, it was very possible. So thats why people believed it.
But this instance, it wasnt real and it hurts all of the people who really face it.
Now a lot of real hate crimes will be called "hoaxes" by disingenuous people.

I really hate Jussie for causing that

I continue to find the fact that Smollett was involved in a documentary regarding "lynching". A fascinating coincidence. That episode was subsequently pulled by Epix, after his legal issues.

I continue to find the fact that Smollett was involved in a documentary regarding "lynching". A fascinating coincidence. That episode was subsequently pulled by Epix, after his legal issues.

“Channeling Oprah”, ugh please stop with the drama. He is clearly making an attempt to resurrect his image. He is going to channel anyone famous who may want to rescue him. He probably thinks that Oprah will help him because she doesn’t want to deflate her ego.

I find the premise of his defense that he should not have been sentenced to jail, due to "double jeopardy" interesting.

If Smollett agreed to relinquishing his $10,000 bond, and performing "community service", did that mean he accepted, "guilt" in the charges against him? Because if he was, "innocent', as he so vehemently states, then why did he agree to give up $10,000 and do community service?

How many hours of community service did Smollett do? Where? Who supervised this? I have been a person who often reviewed files, with documentation signed off, dates, hours, of community service provided. The contract for community service includes the specified hours to be present, work to be performed, and the supervisor's name who will sign off on the work.

It is a legal document. It is not just, "Okay, sign here, done". Usually the hours are monitored, and at any time a judge can review the information. Which brings up another point, community service is usually a "sentence". Even if an agreement is made, a judge does have to sign off on it for it to be binding. So many murky issues here, for Kim Foxx to answer....

Last edited:

I did find this, and it is worth reviewing. Jussie Smollett was given TWO DAYS of "community service". So, where is the documentation that he did 16 hours of community service? What days? What did he do? Where is the contract and supervision documents? And what was going to be the result if he did not perform those hours or community service?

I did find this, and it is worth reviewing. Jussie Smollett was given TWO DAYS of "community service". So, where is the documentation that he did 16 hours of community service? What days? What did he do? Where is the contract and supervision documents? And what was going to be the result if he did not perform those hours or community service?

As if 16 hours could re-pay the taxpayers for the LE work that Jussie caused....

In my county, Community Service people do much of the lawn care around the Courthouse. They alo sort clothes & do other tasks at the Goodwill store.

Kinda surprised we don't have piccies....

jmho ymmv lrr

I find the premise of his defense that he should not have been sentenced to jail, due to "double jeopardy" interesting.

If Smollett agreed to relinquishing his $10,000 bond, and performing "community service", did that mean he accepted, "guilt" in the charges against him? Because if he was, "innocent', as he so vehemently states, then why did he agree to give up $10,000 and do community service?

How many hours of community service did Smollett do? Where? Who supervised this? I have been a person who often reviewed files, with documentation signed off, dates, hours, of community service provided. The contract for community service includes the specified hours to be present, work to be performed, and the supervisor's name who will sign off on the work.

It is a legal document. It is not just, "Okay, sign here, done". Usually the hours are monitored, and at any time a judge can review the information. Which brings up another point, community service is usually a "sentence". Even if an agreement is made, a judge does have to sign off on it for it to be binding. So many murky issues here, for Kim Foxx to answer....

@mickey2942 Thanks so much for making these ^ points.^
--- About double jeopardy issue & release of bond.
--- Whether an plea agreement was actually reached, and the terms fulfilled by JS, and appropriately documented as would routinely occur. Routinely, say, for the hoi polloi. ;)

--- Your ref & link to Cook County Court site, spelling out procedure. Plus your explanation of same.
Imo your ^ post ^ provided :) more CommServ than his purported CommServ did.

IIRC, JS went to a ChiTown community center (or equivalent) for a couple hours, signed autographs, & indulged fans who wanted to take selfies w him.
Something like that, something a PR asst for Empire could have dreamed up, rather than the outcome of St Atty & def atty agreement that a judge would bless. That's what I recall but ICBWrong.

Last edited:
As if 16 hours could re-pay the taxpayers for the LE work that Jussie caused....

In my county, Community Service people do much of the lawn care around the Courthouse. They alo sort clothes & do other tasks at the Goodwill store.

Kinda surprised we don't have piccies....

jmho ymmv lrr

From the link above...
" As a component of a comprehensive intervention, community service often builds better community relations. Community organizations experience "criminals" as real people with human struggles. The offender experiences, sometimes for the first time, the intrinsic rewards of productive labor and the sense of belonging based on the principles of accountability and restitution.".

I note the wording of "criminal" and "offender" mentioned in the community service information. So, if Smollett agreed to the "Community Service", than he also admitted that he was indeed a "criminal". As such, if a judge did not sentence him to "community service", than who did? And what was their authority to do so?

Prosecutors may suggest sentences, but it is a judicial discretion to determine sentencing for offenders, not Prosecutors.

I am actually quite interested in the outcome here...

@mickey2942 Thanks so much for making these ^ points.^
--- About double jeopardy issue & release of bond.
--- Whether an plea agreement was actually reached, and the terms fulfilled by JS, and appropriately documented as would routinely occur. Routinely, say, for the hoi polloi. ;)

--- Your ref & link to Cook County Court site, spelling out procedure. Plus your explanation of same.
Imo your ^ post ^ provided :) more CommServ than his purported CommServ did.

IIRC, JS went to a ChiTown community center (or equivalent) for a couple hours, signed autographs, & indulged fans who wanted to take selfies w him.
Something like that, something a PR asst for Empire could have dreamed up, rather than the outcome of St Atty & def atty agreement that a judge would bless. That's what I recall but ICBWrong.
The Prosecutor, Kim Foxx, isn't running for reelection. It might have everything to do with the fact her husband accused her of domestic violence. JS is a so far in the past that nobody in Chicago wants anything to do with him.

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back