IL - Benjamin Sargent, 5 mos, dies of extreme neglect, Peoria, 12 Feb 2008

Lyons told Circuit Judge Glenn Collier that rescuers found the boy sitting in his own waste and urine. He had not been changed for eight days. His eyes were open, fist clenched and a bottle was crammed into a space between him and the car seat.

http://www.pjstar.com/php/index.php?
/news/comments/peoria_parents_charged_with_
murder_after_babys_death/P30/

I guess it's alright to bring this comment over here. It was posted after the article linked above:

It was not a case of leaving a child in a carseat for a couple of hours! 8 DAYS!!!!!! Without diaper changes!!!!!!! Without feeding!!!!!!!!!!! This baby died of sepsis & starvation. It was a long & painful death! This was reported on the news tonight, so it’s no longer hearsay. These two should NEVER ever have children again. Someone failed this poor baby. So sad. RIP Benjamin.

Posted by gypsydayne on 02/20 at 05:08 PM

So mom was off to meet a new boyfriend that she met online and dad was barely aware that the baby was there. I'd say he must have been stoned the whole time. He couldn't even remember if he had picked the baby up but then decided that he hadn't! Mom said the baby was the dad's responsibility...after all..she had a hot date waiting...dad must have disagreed so no one was taking care of baby Ben.

Didn't the grandmother who returned the baby take notice that dad wasn't with it and mom was gone...the house was a filthy mess and baby Ben only weighed 10 lbs at 5 months old??? I guess she didn't feel that baby Ben was here responsibility either. What a messed up family. Doesn't seem like anyone cared about baby Ben. Wonder who has the 3 yr old daughter of the mother. I think an article said a FAMILY MEMBER...oh goody. Hope CPS is checking out that little girl to make sure that she is alright. She is young enough for adoption and let's hope that is what happens to her. Someone loving family would love to adopt her and take care of her.

As for these two...prisoners hate baby killers. You can bet what is going to happen to them. May they get...at the least...LWOP.

"when crying yourself to sleep no longer works, and you cry yourself to death."

OMG, I never imagined it was this bad when I first posted this story. How could they. In his obituary it said "loving parents" that definitely needs to be changed.

Hermann's last contact with her son was the night before police were notified. Then, she allegedly told police she "looked at the baby in the crib and presumed he was sleeping so she said she stuck a bottle between the baby and the side of the car seat so that when he woke up, he could grab it and feed himself," Lyons said in open court. "In case the court had missed it earlier, Benjamin Sargent was five months old," he said, staring directly at Hermann.

Peoria County Coroner Johnna Ingersoll said Wednesday afternoon Benjamin weighed 10 pounds when he was found by police. He was nearly eight pounds at birth, she said.

So he definitely was not a premmie.

He was 5 months old how was he to feed himself. It was 80 degrees in the bedroom and he was in a snow suit in his own waste for 8 days.:mad:

May they get what they deserve.

This is one of the most awful things I've ever heard, and since I read here pretty regularly, that's saying a lot.

Was the dad on drugs? Is that why he just completely ignored the baby? I can't even imagine.

That poor little boy.

All I can say is expletives. If they didn't want the baby them why did they bother taking him home from the hospital?

I would have taken him. I think most of you feel the same way.

If he was only 10 lbs I doubt he had the muscle to hold a bottle. I would have felt better if he had had a medical condition resulting in death.

Give me them for 8 days. I'm sure they will be just fine without food, water, diaper changes or compassion.

This is one of the most awful things I've ever heard, and since I read here pretty regularly, that's saying a lot.

Was the dad on drugs? Is that why he just completely ignored the baby? I can't even imagine.

That poor little boy.

I have a feeling the father resented the mother for going to see her "new internet boyfriend" and got back at her by not taking care of the baby. Although, I'm not sure anyone cared for this baby from the day they got him home. It would be interesting to hear from nurses/dr's where he was born, how they felt the parents interacted with him from day 1.

Also, am I the only one freaked out by the pictures of these two? They LOOK like there is something wrong with them or like they are evil or something.

To Benjamin,
My apologies to you for the horrible way you spent your last week (and possibly whole life) on this cruel earth. My apologies for the parents who care so little, they can't truly regret hurting you. May you now be surrounded with loving, caring, and kind people who will give you the attention and love you always deserved. You were never given much of a chance on this earth, but there are many of us who are thinking of you, the way your parents would not.
God, take this child home and show him all that was kept from him in his short and tragic life.
Amen

Also, am I the only one freaked out by the pictures of these two? They LOOK like there is something wrong with them or like they are evil or something.

I try to not judge a book by it's cover but these two have already been seen for exactly what they are.

The mug shots of them makes them look like they have some birth defects. She looks like she could have down syndrome and he looks like he has fetal alcohol.

I have a feeling I am going to get butchered for my comment but whatever...

I have a feeling the father resented the mother for going to see her "new internet boyfriend" and got back at her by not taking care of the baby. Although, I'm not sure anyone cared for this baby from the day they got him home. It would be interesting to hear from nurses/dr's where he was born, how they felt the parents interacted with him from day 1.

To Benjamin,
My apologies to you for the horrible way you spent your last week (and possibly whole life) on this cruel earth. My apologies for the parents who care so little, they can't truly regret hurting you. May you now be surrounded with loving, caring, and kind people who will give you the attention and love you always deserved. You were never given much of a chance on this earth, but there are many of us who are thinking of you, the way your parents would not.
God, take this child home and show him all that was kept from him in his short and tragic life.
Amen

That was beautiful stillhoping, he is in God's arms now being well cared for I am sure. He is with all the other concrete angels who didn't get what they deserved here on earth.

I try to not judge a book by it's cover but these two have already been seen for exactly what they are.

The mug shots of them makes them look like they have some birth defects. She looks like she could have down syndrome and he looks like he has fetal alcohol.

I have a feeling I am going to get butchered for my comment but whatever...

Well then, they can butcher me right along with you, because these two folks look scary to me. They really look dead inside to me. But I guess that's not too hard to believe.

That was beautiful stillhoping, he is in God's arms now being well cared for I am sure. He is with all the other concrete angels who didn't get what they deserved here on earth.

Thank you imthemom,
You would think after reading at WS and similar forums for over 5 years, that nothing could phase me anymore, but I STILL feel for each neglected or murdered child, each missing person, etc. And some just tug my heartstrings something awful. I was going to ask if anyone had a picture of this child, but then I realized the parents probably never cared enough to have his picture done, or even take a snapshot. :(

Thank you imthemom,
You would think after reading at WS and similar forums for over 5 years, that nothing could phase me anymore, but I STILL feel for each neglected or murdered child, each missing person, etc. And some just tug my heartstrings something awful. I was going to ask if anyone had a picture of this child, but then I realized the parents probably never cared enough to have his picture done, or even take a snapshot. :(

No I haven't seen a picture and his obituary didn't even have one. People on the PJ star comment boards are wanting the death penality and stating they will not vote for the states attorney ever again if he does not seek it.

http://www.legacy.com/pjstar/Obituaries.asp?Page=SearchResults

Sargent, Benjamin View/Sign Guest BookPEORIA - Benjamin Allen Reeve Sargent, 5 months, of Peoria passed away Tuesday, Feb. 12, 2008, at his residence in Peoria.
Benjamin was born Aug. 27, 2007, to James E. Sargent and Tracy Del Hermann of Peoria.
Benjamin is survived by his loving parents; a sister, Natalie-Grace Hermann of Peoria; grandparents, Thomas Eugene (Rosemary Irene) Sargent of Marquette Heights, Ill., and Wendell Allen (Connie Lou) Bohna of Topeka, Ill.;

Here is some of his obituary. Keep in mind Marquet Heights is not at all from where they lived so the grandparents I believe should have been in contact.

Why sympathy for the parents? I was going to write something about him being in better hands, but I didn't want it to be viewed to be in poor taste and I certainly do not want to start anything in this little angel's guest book, but I really feel this outpouring of sympathy in there is the final insult.
I am really livid at this!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back