IL IL - Brian C. Carrick, 17, Johnsburg, 20 December 2002

Key witness said he and accused murderer never planned to kill Johnsburg teen

Mario Casciaro called him to help collect a drug debt from Brian Carrick, but didn’t tell him to harm the Johnsburg teenager, Shane Lamb testified Thursday.
Lamb — a critical witness in Casciaro’s McHenry County murder trial — admitted he punched the 17-year-old Carrick unconscious because he lost his temper as they argued in a grocery store cooler over the drug debt.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/...rer-never-planned-to-kill-johnsburg-teen.html

Lamb said that about 6:30 p.m. Dec. 20, 2002, he got a call from Casciaro, whose family co-owned the store.

Casciaro fronted him with marijuana, Lamb said, meaning that Casciaro would give him the pot but not collect payment until it had been sold.

So when Casciaro asked him to talk to Brian Carrick about a quarter-pound of marijuana for which Casciaro was owed money, Lamb said he agreed. He had to make sure that his practice of getting marijuana before he could pay for it would continue.

http://www.nwherald.com/2012/01/26/witness-i-lost-my-temper-with-carrick/auawgd0/

From the information in MSM, I hate to say I think Lamb's testimony sounds weak. I'm not sure what to think about a possible outcome.

I don't understand how Carrick's family has not filed a wrongfull death suit against Casciaro, unless I have missed that they have somewhere along the line.

Add to that some kind of liability against his family who co-owned the grocery store. Here is a family, who co-owns this store and their kid is dealing drugs and having employee's deal for him? Sounds really messed up. I don't buy for a second that they were unaware of what was happening with the drugs under their nose.

I have to admit, with a name like Casciaro I gotta wonder if there are any ties to organized crime here. And no, I don't consider that too far of a stretch since there is no question drugs were being peddled through this grocery store.

I do pray this leads to answers about what happened to Brian. I have no doubt Casciaro knows exactly where Brian was moved.

I wish I could be sitting in the court room for this trial.

:praying:

AND according to witnesses on the stand today, Casciano also enlisted family to dispose. Nice group.

Shane hit him, or something," Lippert said Casciaro told him. "But it was an accident and (Casciaro) had relatives come in to help remove or dispose of the body and Shane took it to a river in Iowa."

Lippert testified that after a night of drinking several beers and doing shots at a Fox Lake bar in 2006, he asked Casciaro what happened to Carrick's body.

Months later, Lippert was arrested on unrelated charges and Johnsburg police asked him about the Carrick case. He said he told them the story he testified to on Friday. He said that in 2008 he repeated the story to FBI investigators.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-johnsburg-murder-0128-20120128,0,3927485.story

AND according to witnesses on the stand today, Casciano also enlisted family to dispose. Nice group.

Exactly. I find myself wondering about Casciano's family helping dispose of the body. My first thoughts are why not then clean the blood from the cooler? But I then immediately answer that with the risk it would have been for Mario or anyone to return to the grocery store after having left to dispose of Brians body. Especially with the Carrick family living directly across the street from the grocery store. It was less risky, imo, to leave the blood for an am employee under the pretense it was blood from the meat versus a human being.

No, I don't believe they would have risked returning to the grocery to clean up knowing it would be suspicious for the Carrick family directly across the street to see anyone returning to the grocery late the evening Brian disappeared.

I also find it highly likely Mario would have told Lippert that Lamb was the person to dispose of the body in the river to take the heat off his family.

I can also see how the prosecution is going after Mario versus Lamb. I didn't initially, but then thought back to a case in which an illegal Italian immigrant who lived in Addison, IL had set up a robbery down in Florida. While Ottavio Volpe did not cause the victims death, he was in fact responsible for arranging the robbery which led to the victims death. Ottavio Volpe then made a deal for LWOP versus the DP in exchange for his testimony against Anthony Carcione who was the actual person who murdered the victim during the robbery. The robbery would have never occured and the victim would have never been murdered had Ottavio not sought out accomplices and planned to rob the victim. I see the same thing here with Mario Casciano's involvement in Brian's disappearance and presumed murder.

Praying the prosecution is succesful with this one and that a conviction may lead to possibly reduced sentencing in exchange for information on Brian's whereabouts. I realize the Carrick family statement is they have forgiven those responsible. However, the Carrick family deserve to have a final resting place for Brian, and Brian deserves the dignity of a proper final resting place.

According to Brian's Charley Project profile, an am employee told his boss there was a pool of watery blood in the produce cooler. CP also goes on to state Val's grocery often kept excess meat in the produce cooler, especially around holidays.

My question is who was the AM manager? Was it a Cascario family member? or someone from the co-owners family? Hmmm.

I've also read other comments, direct MSM quotes from neighbors and locals who knew both families stating the Carrick family should just put it behind them and move on. My response to that, is to quote Edmund Burke: "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing". Murder is never ok, and it is never ok to just brush it aside with the hopes of not attracting unwanted attention to a 'nice quiet rural neighborhood'. Nope, this could be anyones child. Brian is a son, a brother and a friend who deserves justice. I am saddened to see the towns people just thinking everyone should move on. Especially since this could be any of their children, siblings or family.

Praying Brian receives the justice he deserves. That someone has a conscience and speaks up about Brians current whereabouts. Such a shame a life lost and all this tragedy over a measly few hundred dollars of drug money. When someone is behind bars I wonder if they'll believe the 400 or so bucks was worth it.

WOODTSTOCK – Both the prosecution and defense rested their cases today in the trial of a man accused of murdering a Johnsburg teen in 2002.

<snip>

Carrick was last seen about 6:45 p.m. on Dec. 20, 2002 at Val&#8217;s Foods, the Johnsburg grocery store where he and the defendant both worked. His body has never been found.

<snip>

The prosecution put its last witness on the stand Monday, a man named Chris Amen who said he has the nickname "Priest" because of his last name.

Amen said that he and Casciaro were at a bar in 2008 when "things got a little bit heated."

"He said, 'Remember, Priest, I make people disappear," Amen said.

<snip>

The defense did not call any witnesses, but entered several stipulations with the prosecutors, or documents summarizing testimony of witnesses they would call.

For example, both sides agreed that if an employee of an alarm company testified, she would say that the alarm at Val's was set at 8:03 p.m. on Dec. 20, 2002 and disabled the following morning at 7:44. There were no disruptions in between.

http://www.nwherald.com/2012/01/30/both-sides-rest-in-carrick-murder-case/a898t32/

Jurors resume deliberations on Casciaro case

At about 9 this morning, jurors began again considering the prosecution's contention that Mario Casciaro was responsible for the 2002 murder of 17-year-old Brian Carrick.

McHenry County Judge Sharon Prather sent the jurors home about 8 p.m. Tuesday after denying a request by the defense to sequester them overnight.

About seven hours in, the jury sent a note to the judge asking four questions.

Casciaro’s attorney, Brian Telander, declined to comment on what the questions were, but said they were all “unanswerable.”

http://www.nwherald.com/2012/01/31/jurors-resume-deliberations-on-casciaro-case/awsdogj/

Hung jury in murder trial for man accused in Johnsburg teen’s 2002 disappearance

A McHenry County jury Wednesday was unable to reach a verdict in the case of a 28-year-old man charged with murder in the disappearance and presumed death of Johnsburg teenager Brian Carrick in 2002.

After about 12 hours of deliberations over two days, the jury of seven men and five women remained hopelessly deadlocked, the foreman told Judge Sharon Prather about 1:30 p.m. Wednesday.

McHenry County prosecutors said they won’t drop the murder charges against Casciaro.

“We’re going to retry the case,” Assistant State’s Attorney Michael Combs said.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/...ed-in-johnsburg-teens-2002-disappearance.html

Render was once tied to the 2002 disappearance and presumed murder of Brian Carrick, 17, a co-worker at a Johnsburg grocery store whose body has never been found. Authorities in 2008 accused Render of concealing a homicide but later dropped the charge.

<snip>

Render, 26, did not testify in the first trial, but Casciaro's attorney, Brian Telander, said that this time he had planned to put Render on the stand to explore why Render's blood had been found alongside the victim's in the grocery store's walk-in cooler.

"It was my intention to subpoena him and call him as a witness," Telander said. "Obviously, I have to ... do some research as to whether some of his (other) statements are admissible."

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...1_brian-carrick-mario-casciaro-overdose-death

WOODSTOCK – Surveillance video from a bar reportedly shows prosecutors’ key witness approach a murder defendant and, the defendant’s family says, admit to lying in the defendant’s first trial, which ended with a hung jury.
There is no audio with the video recorded three weeks ago at Blarney Island, a bar on the Chain O’ Lakes. McHenry County State’s Attorney Michael Combs said the video is irrelevant –

“I don’t think it helps or hurts either party” –and that he plans to pursue the murder case against Mario Casciaro, which is set for retrial Jan. 28.

http://www.nwherald.com/2012/08/24/murder-trial-figures-on-bar-video/axa38ec/

More than 10 years after Brian Carrick's disappearance, murder retrial begins

Prosecutors are trying for the second time to prove that Mario Casciaro, who worked with Carrick at a Johnsburg grocery store, was responsible for Carrick's presumed death after Casciaro and another co-worker, Shane Lamb, confronted Carrick about a drug-dealing debt. The store, Val's Foods, was the last place Carrick was seen alive, and blood evidence matching Carrick was found there.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...327_1_mario-casciaro-shane-lamb-brian-carrick

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phnix
Back