IL IL - Brian C. Carrick, 17, Johnsburg, 20 December 2002

Brian Carrick's convicted killer seeks new trial

Mario Casciaro was taken to trial three times in connection with the disappearance of a teenage co-worker before prosecutors secured a guilty verdict.

Now — more than a decade since 17-year-old Brian Carrick went missing from a McHenry County grocery — Casciaro's lawyers are trying to win him yet another murder trial, in hopes of a different outcome.

They're due to argue at a Wednesday hearing that Casciaro's conviction should be thrown out, saying he did not receive a fair trial last spring when he was found guilty of murder by intimidation. Casciaro, 30, has been in jail awaiting sentencing since then; Carrick's body has never been found.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...an-carrick-new-trial-20130821,0,3533185.story

http://www.theherald-news.com/2014/...-missing-johnsburg-teens-2002-murder/a5jzlx3/

The state's key witness in a murder case has recanted his statements, saying his testimony that convicted another man was all a lie. In court documents, Shane Lamb alleges a number of things, namely that he told jurors what prosecutors wanted in order implicate Mario Casciaro in the death of a 17-year-old Johnsburg teen...

After two trials, Casciaro was found guilty of first-degree murder based on intimidation. Prosecutors said he sent Lamb as a "henchman" to collect on a drug debt owed by Brian Carrick. At trial, Lamb said he likely threw the punch that killed Carrick. Carrick's body never was found and he is presumed dead.

Lamb was offered full immunity from murder charges for his testimony against Casciaro. He also was given a reduced sentence on a drug charge.

From the above link:

Lamb is a five-time convicted felon and has pending weapons charges in McHenry County. He exploded on Combs in a recent court appearance, saying the prosecutor was bullying him into taking a plea deal.

Bullying him into taking a plea deal on a current case? Honestly, this sounds like Lamb got in trouble again and isn't happy with the deal Combs is currently offering in a non related case, so he's crying foul.

What case is Lamb not happy about a plea deal?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/illinois-man-serving-26-years-prison-murder-didnt/story?id=25875501

The last time Mario Casciaro says he saw 17-year-old Brian Carrick was in Val’s Grocery, the Johnsburg, Illinois, grocery store co-owned by Casciaro’s father. Both Carrick and Casciaro worked as stock boys. It was a Friday night around Christmastime.

“I saw Brian once at the beginning of my shift,” Casciaro told ABC News’ “20/20” in an exclusive interview. “Brian was looking for Rob Render [another stock boy] and had asked me if I'd seen him, and I paged him, and that was the last time I seen him. That's it.” That was that last time anyone saw Carrick, who has now been missing for 12 years.

But even though Carrick has never been found, Casciaro is currently serving a 26-year prison sentence at Menard Correctional Center, Illinois’ largest maximum security prison, for the murder of the missing teen. But Casciaro maintains he had nothing to do with his death or disappearance. “I sit every day in a five-by-ten concrete box thinking... ‘How did this happen?’” said Casciaro, 31.

20/20 just started, opening a cold case. ABC

Noticing lots of guest here tonight. Please consider signing up and leave your comments. Some people here can be very knowledgeable and helpful.

Peli

20/20 did raise some compelling reasons why this case should be re-examined.

Why This Attorney Believes Illinois Man Is Innocent of Murder, Who She Thinks Really Killed Missing Teen

Oct 3, 2014, 4:41 PM ET
By LYNN REDMOND, SUSAN WELSH, ALEXA VALIENTE and LAUREN EFFRONLAUREN EFFRONMore From Lauren »
Digital Producer

A high-profile attorney believes she has a trail of evidence potentially so explosive that it could overturn an Illinois man’s murder conviction and free him from prison.

Another important piece of evidence Zellner’s investigators learned was the existence of a pair of soiled men's underwear stained with a color that she believes is blood. A report from the investigation says a pair of underwear "soiled with a brownish red color" was turned over to Johnsburg Village Police just a month after Carrick's disappearance, but, Zellner said, it was never entered into the evidence log and was not used in trial. Zellner has asked that prosecutors locate the underwear so it can now be tested.

more at the link

http://abcnews.go.com/US/attorney-b...nocent-murder-thinks-killed/story?id=25922416

Noticing lots of guest here tonight. Please consider signing up and leave your comments. Some people here can be very knowledgeable and helpful.

Peli
I watched this show. Sad but interesting case. Apparently the underwear have now been lost.

I think Mario might be innocent. How do we know it wasn't Render that did it? Lots of shady weird things about Render the night the victim went missing too.

A re play for those, like me that missed the first one.

Just saw this on Investigation Discovery. Render seemed shady.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mario Casciaro's conviction has been thrown out.

Reported today on abc news.
The Chicago Tribune has an article but I couldn't read it since I don't subscribe.
Articles from other sources will probably appear soon.

as i am following the melissa calusinski bogus conviction (also in illinois, is also being defened by the great kathleen zellner) from what i understand this is 'game over' and the whole case was made up?

hoping this is a good sign and she'll have another exoneration on monday.

mario is free.

zellner won her first step towards freeing mellisa calusinski too.

Bumping:

Brian Carrick

USILM02F0887c1.jpg

Missing Since - Dec 20, 2002

Missing From - Johnsburg, IL

DOB - Sep 13, 1985

Age Now - 33

Sex - Male

Race - White

Hair Color - Brown

Eye Color - Brown

Height - 5'9"

Weight - 135 lbs

Brian was last seen at his residence in Johnsburg, Illinois on December 20, 2002 at approximately 1900 hrs. He has a heart condition and may be in need of medical attention. According to family and friends, it is not like him to leave for any period of time without advising. Brian was last seen wearing a black Addidas jacket with stripes on the sleeves from the shoulder to the waist, an orange sweatshirt, and blue jeans. He has a surgical scar on his chest.

Have you seen this child? BRIAN CARRICK

NamUs #MP5933

Missing Person Case

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member