GUILTY IL - Chicago, Female body in cardboard box, Jan'07 - Marlaina Reed

Hi,
I've found only ONE piece of news on the topic so far:
http://www.officer.com/online/article.jsp?siteSection=1&id=36773

For the two (I think?) of you from Chicago, the article mentions that she was found in Northwest Side in the 1600 block of North Francisco Avenue. What can you tell us about the area?

Clemy

My hubby is a Chicago Truckdriver and he said he's pretty sure its an area with a large Puerto Rican pop and Polish pop. He said its average as far as crime, but what he thinks is average the rest of us would be scared to death. LOL

i had braces from the time i was 17 until i was 20. it was just over two years. i got them off two days before my wedding!! i did it for cosmetic reasons (before, i had a small letterman gap inbetween my front teeth)... the braces fixed that! first i just had the top, and my dentist at first just thought and quoted me as just needing the top. then, i needed the bottom because the way my bottoms were were making my tops not move as well. so, he put the bottoms on for free! and they did a lot of moving on my bottoms too!! so i was happy...
my husband has braces on RIGHT NOW. and he got them last january. he had some gaps that popped up after he got his wisdom teeth removed about two years ago. he got them on last year when he was 28 (he's 29 now). his ortho needs were too complicated to do invisalign, which he was interested in because he teaches and he said he didn't want to look like a "kid"... but he has full metal (like i did). he'll have them on AT LEAST another year if not another year and a half or two... he really needed them our dentist said!!
It really surprises me how much people neglect their dental. my hubby grew up on a farm and everything was self pay so they never took him except maybe once or twice. even when he had dental insurance he never really went until i was dating him and i was like... what the heck.... you need to go (i go every six months like clockwork, and have since I was little!). but he has NEVER lost a tooth and hasn't had any cavities either... which is amazing.
ok enough of the rant.

I'm a suburbanite outside of the city, but will do my best here with the explaination of the area. It's Humboldt Park. Not the worst, but not the best area. The area has high concentration of Puerto Ricans, Mexicans and African-Americans. Parts are experiencing gentrification. I'm unsure about the Polish population in the area. I think a higher Polish population may be just a little north and east. I've driven down North Ave, which intersects with North Francisco several times during the day. I felt fairly safe. One of the worst area's of the West side is directly west of this area. If you look at the map on Wiki ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humboldt_Park,_Chicago )

Area 25 includes/is considered one of the worst area's on the west side. Humboldt Park is area 23. The area is also listed with several gang affiliations. However, I am unsure how recent the info online is pertaining to the gangs. I also have family that aren't too far from here so if anyone has questions, I may be able to ask them.

I wonder what LE did with the Cascio box. I wonder if they were able to trace any numbers on the box to which store sold that box etc. and where it may lead. Seems odd to have a box that size just laying around for someone to conveniently find.

I also wonder if she may have been undocumented or a recent immigrant.

hth, will definately be following this and see what I can do to help. I'm still pretty much a novice at this stuff, but learning.

I was noticing how the girl was dressed and the hair. I'd think that it would be very unfashionable to be running around in Winter in the cold up north in capri pants and her hair was pulled up in a high pony tail which is also not stylish for a younger woman. Maybe this girl was ready for bed, hair pulled up, and sleeping in some capri set. Or, could the body have been brought from a warmer state where that type of dress would be appropriate? This month, here in Winter, I'm see all sorts of younger girls still wearing capri pants. My first thought was that some husband or boyfriend did this since there was no sexual assault and has not reported her missing.

I was noticing how the girl was dressed and the hair. I'd think that it would be very unfashionable to be running around in Winter in the cold up north in capri pants and her hair was pulled up in a high pony tail which is also not stylish for a younger woman. Maybe this girl was ready for bed, hair pulled up, and sleeping in some capri set. Or, could the body have been brought from a warmer state where that type of dress would be appropriate? This month, here in Winter, I'm see all sorts of younger girls still wearing capri pants. My first thought was that some husband or boyfriend did this since there was no sexual assault and has not reported her missing.

This is a good idea to ponder over. I know back home it gets very cold in the winters. With the radiators on and with lap blankets I often wore clothing indoors that would be very inappropriate outdoors. She could have been lounging around or as you said ready for bed when she was murdered.
As another poster mentioned I think the keyboard is also a clue. Perhaps we are looking for someone with musical aspirations. This was an expensive keyboard and I think that it would be more than what the average person would pay for if they were just messing around with music. For instance if one was buying a present for a kid and the box just happen to be lying around. I find it very eerie that she fit inside the box perfectly. What are the odds of having a box lying around like that?

The keyboard:
The bar code was removed from the box, and they determined that it was an older model that was not made/sold anymore. I can't remember now if they mentioned what store(s) (if only one or a few in particular) it was sold at, grrrr.

--EDITED TO SAY:
Went back to the story, then looked up the Casio WK-1800 on the Casio website. This keyboard is archived and the specs mention that it has a "Floppy Disk Drive", so you can imagine that it is old!! I think I will contact the company to find out more; will try later this afternoon.

MY THOUGHTS ON HER CLOTHING:
She was found a Sunday night, and it was estimated that she had then be dead 1 to 7 days, likely 3-4 days, so mid-end of the week. Anyway, I'm thinking that dressed the way she was for the season, she went or was going or had been to a club/bar/party. Some type of gathering. Maybe she checked her coat there and it got stolen. Maybe she went outside shortly and something happened to her then. Etc.

Thanks everyone, and I hope you all are having a happy holiday season!

Clemy

The shirt she was wearing... I believe it was a Monte Carlo brand... has anyone had any luck finding out where it could have been sold? I tried searching the brand online, but didn't have much luck. I found a Monte Carlo brand manufactured in India, though. http://www.montecarlocollections.com/

Sable,
I'm looking into the clothing, contacted the company. We'll see if that leads anywhere...
BTW, Sable, I've been working on reading everything on Princess Blue (but still have a looong way to go). I'm so fascinated with the work you guys have done with the ring!

I've e-located the medical examiner, so I think I might drop her a line.

Clemy

The shirt she was wearing... I believe it was a Monte Carlo brand... has anyone had any luck finding out where it could have been sold? I tried searching the brand online, but didn't have much luck. I found a Monte Carlo brand manufactured in India, though. http://www.montecarlocollections.com/

I found the Monte Carlo website and could only see six ladies shirts listed and the link wouldn't even pull up to give a price if I were interested in ordering.

Hi,
I've found only ONE piece of news on the topic so far:
http://www.officer.com/online/article.jsp?siteSection=1&id=36773

For the two (I think?) of you from Chicago, the article mentions that she was found in Northwest Side in the 1600 block of North Francisco Avenue. What can you tell us about the area?

Clemy

That's borderline Chicago's infamous West Side. It's the border of Humboldt Park, which has a large Puerto Rican population and the West Side which is mostly black. I think North of the area is Polish/Lithuanian.

It would be nice to know where the friend of Shannon's lived in Chicago. Very odd link possibility here.

Clemy, I'm so glad you brought this to our attention. I hope together we can find her home.

WAIT! Shannon had a friend that lived in Chicago???

UPDATE: Have not yet heard from Shannon's myspace RE: UID Chicago Doe.

FWIW: There are A LOT of clothing stores on the West and South sides of Chicago. They are usually Asian-owned shops (usually Korean from the shops that I've been in). Many of them sell bootleg clothing as well as name brand stuff.

If her outfit came from one of these shops, it may be nearly impossible to determine which shop it was, especially if all of them have the Monte Carlo brand... or a bootleg version of it...

From AMW's Website:

* Jane Doe was 5'4" tall.
* Jane was 130 lbs.
* Jane was a white female with reddish-brown hair in a ponytail.
* Jane was found in a black blouse made by India-based clothing company Monte Carlo.
* Jane was found in black capri-style pants, her right knee had a black knee brace.
* Jane was murdered, asphyxiated then placed in a large keyboard box in an alley in Chicago, Illinois.
* Jane was roughly between the ages of 18-25 years old when she was killed.
* Jane previously had braces. They were removed shortly before her death, likely not by an orthodontist. Her teeth still had dental glue and metal bands.
* A navy blue bandana was found with Jane's remains.
* Jane's hair was pulled back in a ponytail with a tri-color band that was turquoise, pink and purple.
* Jane Doe was murdered somewhere around the middle of January 2007.

From AMW's Website:

* Jane Doe was 5'4" tall.
* Jane was 130 lbs.
* Jane was a white female with reddish-brown hair in a ponytail.
* Jane was found in a black blouse made by India-based clothing company Monte Carlo.
* Jane was found in black capri-style pants, her right knee had a black knee brace.
* Jane was murdered, asphyxiated then placed in a large keyboard box in an alley in Chicago, Illinois.
* Jane was roughly between the ages of 18-25 years old when she was killed.
* Jane previously had braces. They were removed shortly before her death, likely not by an orthodontist. Her teeth still had dental glue and metal bands.
* A navy blue bandana was found with Jane's remains.
* Jane's hair was pulled back in a ponytail with a tri-color band that was turquoise, pink and purple.
* Jane Doe was murdered somewhere around the middle of January 2007.

Navy blue and black are gang colors of the infamous Gangster Disciples (GD) gang. Generally, they only allow black MALES into the gang, but maybe she was the girlfriend of one of the members and they allowed her to wear colors too? They are abundant throughout Chicago's South and WEST sides.

Facts about locations:

Last Seen Chicago, IL
Jane Doe was found in the box in an alley behind 1645 North Francisco in Chicago.

Other Possible Locations
Indiana
Eastern Europe
India
Iowa
Kentucky
Michigan
Missouri
National
Wisconsin
Chicago, IL
Illinois

Jane Doe's remains were found in the Windy City. However, cops have no reports of missing women in Chicago that match Jane's description. They think there is a good chance that Jane is not from the Chicago Land area. She may be from elsewhere in Illinois, or from one of the bordering states: Indiana, Wisconsin, Michigan, Iowa, Kentucky or Missouri.

Jane Doe's blouse was manufactured by a company in India. The shirt is not sold through stores in the United States, only through businesses in India and Eastern Europe. Jane Doe may be from another country.

Last Known Locations Chicago, IL
Jane Doe's remains were recovered in an alley in Chicago, Illinois. Cops do not think that her body had been in the alley very long. They estimate that she died 3-4 days before the discovery.

Facts about locations:

Jane Doe's blouse was manufactured by a company in India. The shirt is not sold through stores in the United States, only through businesses in India and Eastern Europe. Jane Doe may be from another country.

Now correct me if I am wrong because I dont know that much about illegal trafficking in this country, but in the UK there is a HUGE market for illegal immigrants from the former Eastern block countries. Could she be part of an extended marketing circle starting in eastern Europe and ending in the US?

I know people who have come to the US as nannies under the table. The US government knows them only as tourists who never left. Could it be the same with this girl? It would have to be under the wire as the government now fingerprints everyone for passports.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back