IL-Chicago Police Officer Says She Feared Using Gun While Being Beaten Oct. 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is great! I mean it's awful she was hurt, but she didn't resort to the easy way out and killing another person needlessly. You can feel afraid but it doesn't have to dictate how you behave (which is true for everyone).

What a great example! Instead of hanging her head in shame or apologizing she should be proud!!

disturbing.

I'm surprised it has taken this long for public relations of police departments to come up with this particular spin. If police shootings are lawful and justified, there's no reason for police to be concerned about publicity. This could be a sign that the scrutiny and the ubiquity of cell phones are now having a positive effect on decision making and adherence to protocol for LE when involved in a confrontation. Policing is a dangerous occupation. It would behoove those who are unwilling or unable to put their lives on the line to choose a different field. It's unfortunate that the bad apples in the force have been empowered by the silence of their fellow officers and commanders. It's going to take a very long time to change the culture of policing, but it's encouraging that allegedly this officer acknowledges that the efforts and demand for equal and lawful policing are seeping into the consciousness of LE.

This is not great!An officer has to be subjected to violence for fear if she protects herself she could go to jail.I fear for our police.Most of the people in these police situations are violent criminals,plain and simple.I knew this would happen and it will not be long until an officer is killed trying to stop crime and protect law citizens.

Except, she's not going to go to jail if she uses her weapon justifiably and lawfully. There's no issue with that. In fact, they don't go to jail when they don't shoot lawfully or justifiably, THAT'S the problem.

This is not great!An officer has to be subjected to violence for fear if she protects herself she could go to jail.I fear for our police.Most of the people in these police situations are violent criminals,plain and simple.I knew this would happen and it will not be long until an officer is killed trying to stop crime and protect law citizens.

Officers do get killed, and that's a sad thing and a tragedy for their friends and families. But their lives are not more important than anyone else's and if being afraid of an arrest or dismissal saves someone's life then that's good. It upsets me to see officers kill people because they were afraid for their own safety (even if they were never in danger), but now they supposedly don't kill people because they're afraid they'll get in trouble (would you really die rather than get put on paid leave for awhile?). If they're making huge decisions like this based on fear ... that's how bad decisions are made. Ask Betty Shelby.

There are MANY lawfully justified police involved shootings that people USE to rip cities apart, call for the resignation of mayors and police chiefs, civil suits...

GMAB.

I think we all know had she used her gun, there would be a thread here with people shouting about it.

Let's call it what it is.

And let's please don't get this thread shut down just to see who can argue the loudest.

JMO

Except, she's not going to go to jail if she uses her weapon justifiably and lawfully. There's no issue with that. In fact, they don't go to jail when they don't shoot lawfully or justifiably, THAT'S the problem.

Maybe fear is the wrong word. Maybe she was aware of the possible repercussions of controlled herself. It could be she made her decision based on reason. That would be progress.

Maybe fear is the wrong word. Maybe she was aware of the possible repercussions of controlled herself. It could be she made her decision based on reason. That would be progress.

Yeah, I don't really buy the "fear" claim. I think it's much more likely that she just couldn't access her weapon. Police shootings are not being indiscriminately exploited by the public or social justice advocates. It's the shootings/deaths which occur under suspicious circumstances and egregious judgment (Castile, Gardner, Grey, Crutcher, Brown etc.) that spark the outcry. As it should. It's encouraging that perhaps LE is no longer so confident that they can act with impunity.

She stopped to HELP and was beaten to unconsciousness. IMO she should have done what she had to do to stop him. Her family could easily be planning her funeral. Like so many LE families have to do.
IMO her life WAS more important in that instance. He was the high criminal causing harm, she was the unselfish officer trying to HELP her community.

To me, there is no comparison.

JMO

So now she's lying. Typical.

She stopped to HELP and was beaten to unconsciousness. IMO she should have done what she had to do to stop him. Her family could easily be planning her funeral. Like so many LE families have to do.
IMO her life WAS more important in that instance. He was the high criminal causing harm, she was the unselfish officer trying to HELP her community.

To me, there is no comparison.

JMO

That is just part of the job, sometimes a criminal high on drugs is going to severely beat you and possibly kill you, you just have to hang on and get through it because it might turn out that he was mentally ill and not responsible for anything he was doing.

That is just part of the job, sometimes a criminal high on drugs is going to severely beat you and possibly kill you, you just have to hang on and get through it because it might turn out that he was mentally ill and not responsible for anything he was doing.

Boggles the mind doesn't it???

What happens when cops decide its not worth it? What happens when those high criminals have free reign over the country?

If a person high on drugs decides to smash your wife's, mother's or daughter's head in the concrete, punch her in the face, until they pass out and you have a gun, would you not use it to protect your loved one?

Everybody has a right to defend themselves and others from death. Even cops.

This is great! I mean it's awful she was hurt, but she didn't resort to the easy way out and killing another person needlessly. You can feel afraid but it doesn't have to dictate how you behave (which is true for everyone).

What a great example! Instead of hanging her head in shame or apologizing she should be proud!!

Really? You'd rather have a police officer brutally beaten to death than have a violent criminal justifiably shot?

I am beyond words.

Which is a good thing right now, or I'd be heading for band camp.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Really? You'd rather have a police officer brutally beaten to death than have a violent criminal justifiably shot?

I am beyond words.

Which is a good thing right now, or I'd be heading for band camp.

Wow. WOW. That's not what I said at all. AT ALL.

It's bad she was hurt. I said that. It's good she's alive. It's good she didn't kill another person.

Also note the use of the word needlessly? That means shooting someone unjustifiably, or unnecessarily. (As in maybe it's justified but are other options available.)

I'm not sure how you got there from what I said, but let me be clear:

No, I would not rather have a police officer brutally beaten to death than have a violent criminal justifiably shot.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/chicago/prosecutors-man-beat-cops-slammed-female-cops-head-by-her-hair/

The female officer, who was taken to Lutheran General Hospital, suffered a concussion and multiple lacerations and bruises to her face and head, Santini said. She also was treated for a bone chip to the wrist and shoulder and had a neck injury.

Her partner also was taken to the hospital with a concussion and had cuts, bruises, a torn quad and a broken thumb, Santini said.

Two officers with concussions and multiple other injuries. Had other officers not shown up, or had been a few minutes later, they both could have been dead and the perp who knows where attacking someone else.

This is not effective policing.

I agree with one thing said upthread... LE officers are making huge decisions out of fear. This officer, out of fear of being driven out of her job, home, and community, like the officer in the Michael Brown case, made the wrong decision and it almost cost her not only her own life, but that of her partner.

Wow. WOW. That's not what I said at all. AT ALL.

It's bad she was hurt. I said that. It's good she's alive. It's good she didn't kill another person.

Also note the use of the word needlessly? That means shooting someone unjustifiably, or unnecessarily. (As in maybe it's justified but are other options available.)

I'm not sure how you got there from what I said, but let me be clear:

No, I would not rather have a police officer brutally beaten to death than have a violent criminal justifiably shot.

BBM

I'm sorry... clearly I misunderstood your original post. My apologies.

Boggles the mind doesn't it???

What happens when cops decide its not worth it? What happens when those high criminals have free reign over the country?
This is what happens...

https://www.google.com/amp/www.wsj....-rises-as-chicago-police-step-back-1473631079

By Sept. 8, nearly 3,000 people had been shot in Chicago in 2016, an average of one shooting victim every two hours. Five hundred and sixteen people had been murdered. Gun homicides and non-fatal shootings were up 47% over the same period of 2015, which had seen a significant rise in crime over 2014.

BBM

I'm sorry... clearly I misunderstood your original post. My apologies.

Just be careful, please. And don't put words in my mouth or twist what I say in an attempt to make your own point.

It's disturbing to be accused of wanting to see someone brutally beaten to death.

Wow. I have no words. Scary to abide by the law these days. absolutely shocked, though I shouldn't be, that anyone would think a cop should be severely beaten so a criminal isn't shot dead before they can kill others. Sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels