IL - Child, 9, charged in fire deaths of 5 people, Goodfield, 6 Apr 2019 #2

The fact that this tragedy happened when he was just 8 years old is so crazy. Even if he an history of playing with fire, shouldn't that have properly been dealt with? CPS performed several visits to the home, why did the mother never mentioned the issue? This is neglect, he should've received help and I hope he's receiving it now.

I'm still not super convinced by the way this story was told and some details.

How old is he now? His childhood is gone forever. Poor kid.

It took many months in the investigation before Kyle was held responsible and charged for murder. And now, two family members, after almost three years are willing to report his three previous fire incidences, the first dating back when he was only five years old.

Since this is "new evidence" turned over to the Court, it is also evident that Kyle never received any help over the years for fire-starting because it appears that there is no record of CPS having this information. LE would have checked CPS records.

I suspect that LE finally zeroed in on Kyle, who admitted to starting the fire, despite his mom telling him to never admit it. I think it is obvious that his confession alone led to him being charged, and now LE have a background of him lighting fires, which bolsters their case.

With this new evidence, and the fact that he was charged before this evidence, I believe that Kyle was responsible for starting the fire. There is no question that Kyle was too young to fully realize how his actions would be catastrophic. I believe he does have significant mental problems and never got the help he needed from a young age. Obviously family members were reluctant to admit that he was a fire-starter, and I can understand how they were trying to protect him back then. But the facts are he has an arson problem, and there is no evidence (or logic) that his mom had any motive to kill her family and blame it on him.

He must be doing well in the custody of his grandparents with the help he needed and is now hopefully getting. Kudos to his grandparents who took custody of him immediately after he was charged with murder.

"She said Kyle, who has been charged with five counts of first-degree murder, two counts of arson and one count of aggravated arson, was recently diagnosed with schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and ADHD."

Mother of 9-year-old charged with starting fire that killed 5 family members says he ‘has a good heart’

https://www.wglt.org/local-news/2022-05-13/state-turns-over-new-evidence-against-youth-charged-in-goodfield-fire

I don't exactly doubt he started the fire, but I don't believe he did it with the intention of murdering anyone. His mother shouldn't have said anything to the media about who did what.

From his YT videos, it was very clear that he had some behavioral issues, but the biggest problem was the clear neglect, the dirty, messy house, his mother completely out of her mind, his siblings looking the way they did. Kyle is also a victim. CPS visited the home SEVERAL times and nobody thought "gee, better mention that this 5-year-old boy is starting fires and ask for help because this might end badly".

Friday, August 12th:
*Discharge Hearing (@ am CT) - IL – Ariel Wall (1), Daemeon Wall (2), Rose Alwood (2), Jason Wall (34) & Kathryn Murray (69) (April 6, 2019, Timberline Mobile Home Park, Goodfield) - *Kyle Alwood (9/now 12) arrested & charged (10/7/19) with 5 counts of murder, 2 counts of arson & 1 count of aggravated arson. The aggravated arson charge is based on the conclusion that the child knew people were in the home at the time the fire was started. Plead not guilty.
Information & court hearings from 10/21/19 thru 2/28/22 reference post #26 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/...5-people-goodfield-6-apr-2019-2.603311/page-2

4/11/22 Update: Kyle will not have to be in the courtroom when his trial begins. A judge granted the request during a hearing in Woodford County Circuit Court. Alwood’s attorney said in court that his client has problems being in the courtroom, but didn’t elaborate. Prosecutors didn’t object to the request. The boy, however, is not yet believed to have been found fit to stand trial on murder & arson charges after the blaze. Another hearing is scheduled for 5/13/22.
5/13/22 Update: The State turned over evidence to a Woodford County judge on Friday related to an alleged propensity of a 12-year-old boy to start fires. Woodford County State’s Attorney Greg Minger submitted the materials as part of the State’s motion to include evidence of other bad acts or other crimes committed by the child. He was found mentally unfit to stand trial last year. In February, Woodford County Judge Charles Feeney heard testimony from two of the boy’s relatives about three other fires he is suspected of setting before the April 2019 blaze that destroyed the family’s mobile home. The first fire dates back to 2016 when the boy was 5 years old. DA Minger disclosed in February that authorities have evidence that the child set another fire in September. Minger & attorneys representing the child’s interests agreed on Friday that the new materials would be turned over to the Judge in lieu of testimony at the hearing. Judge Feeney set an 8/12/22 discharge hearing where he will rule on whether he will consider the new evidence in his decision in the case. A discharge hearing requires the State to prove the allegations against the child beyond a reasonable doubt. If the State is successful in proving its case, the Judge would allow the child to continue with treatment to attain mental fitness for trial, a process that could take up to five years.

Updated April 2022
In his interview with police, the boy said he had played with fire in the past and admitted to using a lighter to start a Frisbee on fire inside his father’s garage.

The boy’s grandmother Lori Alwood and aunt, Samantha Alwood, who are mother and daughter, testified Monday about three other fires that had occurred in the boy’s presence previous to the April 2019 one.

Monday’s testimony came on two Woodford County State’s Attorney’s motions to admit evidence of “other acts” and the defendant’s previous statements.

“This evidence would make clear that he had a keen understanding of fire,” Feeney said. “Actually, this evidence would make clear that he had a keen understanding of fire even if he didn’t set the fire,” because of his presence, which “shows his understanding of what fire does.”

Samantha Alwood smelled smoke as she fell asleep on a couch in the living room. She went to her bedroom where the boy and his mother were staying and saw flames at the end of the bed. She said the boy’s mother was asleep in bed and the boy was standing near a window watching the fire.

Lori Alwood also said the boy watched the flames from the bed, then walked to the living room and watched TV as the rest of the family rushed to pour buckets of water on the fire.

The aunt also testified Monday that she found a Zippo lighter belonging to Lori Alwood’s husband underneath the bed.

Another fire occurred in the summer of 2018 at Lori and Samantha Alwood’s newer home at the same trailer park in Goodfield, about a three-minute walk from the boy’s home, Samantha Alwood testified.
The video played in court showed the child moving around in his seat, but willing to respond to the detective’s questions. When asked if he would agree to tell the truth, he answered, “honesty’s the best policy,” and shook the officer’s hand.

The child described a normal day leading up to the fire. He recalled watching TV when he saw flames in the hallway of the mobile home. He described “fire like a trail on the carpet” leading to the living room.

He said he heard “the furnace start and then I heard it go boom,” from the hallway.

The boy demonstrated how he used his arm and elbow to knock out a window to escape the flames.

The child denied being afraid of fire. He went on to admit that he “played with fire” once when he set fire to a Frisbee in his father’s garage.

“I put it out myself,” he said.
More:Witness: Boy in fatal fire in Goodfield admitted involvement in another blaze

Last edited:
Looks like those 2 articles you posted @imstilla.grandma are both from February 2022. Anything for Friday's hearing 8/12/22? I am only coming up with old ones.

TIA! :)
I’m so very sorry @Niner. I just saw this. I was out for awhile. Thsee articles are dated May 13, 2022. I can’t find the result of the Aug 12 hearing yet.

The state turned over evidence to a Woodford County judge on Friday related to an alleged propensity of a 12-year-old boy to start fires, including an April 2019 blaze that killed five people.

Feeney set an Aug. 12 discharge hearing where he will rule on whether he will consider the new evidence in his decision in the case. A discharge hearing requires the state to prove the allegations against the child beyond a reasonable doubt. If the state is successful in proving its case, the judge would allow the child to continue with treatment to attain mental fitness for trial, a process that could take up to five years.

Friday, Judge Charles Feeney set a ‘discharge hearing’ for August 12th, all day. The prosecution and defense have been working to find whether or not the now 11-year-old boy is fit to stand trial.

Evidence will be heard during the August hearing to determine if the boy could be fit to stand trial within the next year.

@TootsieFootsie - was wondering if you might know when the next court date is?

TIA!
Moose And Christmas Balls Smiley

@Niner
EUREKA – A discharge hearing will continue next month in the case against the 13-year-old Goodfield boy charged with murder in a fire almost four years ago that killed five.

Terry Brown, a fire causation expert, testified Thursday in Woodford County Court that the fire’s cause was undetermined and he classified it as undetermined, He added he could not rule out that it was accidental.

He testified as part of a series of discharge hearings, which are held to determine if the evidence against a defendant who is unfit to stand trial is sufficient to establish guilt. The boy was found unfit to stand trial earlier in his case after mental health evaluations.
The state’s side has rested its case, but the boy’s defense attorney, Peter Dluski, indicated he has three additional witnesses for the court to hear. They were not present Thursday.

After two hours of testimony from Brown and learning that the other witnesses would not take the stand, Judge Charles Feeney set the next discharge hearing for March 16. Feeney added he was frustrated that the witnesses were not present and wanted the case to reach a conclusion, which has been “drawn out to a degree that is reaching absurdity.” bbm

Brown was critical of the investigation and conclusions of state fire marshal Mike Poel, saying several investigative procedures used in fire investigations were not used by Poel. The state fire marshal initially ruled the cause of the fire in a mobile home park as “undetermined,” but later changed his opinion to “possibly incendiary,” said Brown.

An analysis by the Illinois State Police crime lab on five pieces of debris, and the shirt the child was wearing the night of the fire, showed four negative and one inconclusive result for incendiary residue. Brown said he considers an inconclusive result the same as a negative finding.

The fire expert said he believed the fire started in the living room, based on the severe damage to that area of the home.

In his cross-examination, Woodford County State’s Attorney Greg Minger asked Brown about possible sources of the fire. Asked if he would be surprised to learn that someone had deliberately set the fire, Brown said, “it would not shock me.” Such a conclusion would not be inconsistent with the physical evidence, he acknowledged.

The child denied setting the fire, but admitted to playing with fire previously when he set fire to a frisbee in his father’s garage.

The fire that engulfed the mobile home moved “like a trail on the carpet” leading to the living room, the boy told police. He recalled hearing “the furnace start and then I heard it go boom.”

Brown testified that he found no evidence that the furnace exploded, but he could not rule out another source, such as an aerosol can, as the source of the explosion.

eta:
*This case really hurts my faith in humanity. Then I realize this is an extraordinary case and isn’t a true representation of how children usually grow up. This little boy at 9 was a victim of his experiences by those in his life! imo

Last edited:
@Niner
EUREKA – A discharge hearing will continue next month in the case against the 13-year-old Goodfield boy charged with murder in a fire almost four years ago that killed five.

Terry Brown, a fire causation expert, testified Thursday in Woodford County Court that the fire’s cause was undetermined and he classified it as undetermined, He added he could not rule out that it was accidental.

He testified as part of a series of discharge hearings, which are held to determine if the evidence against a defendant who is unfit to stand trial is sufficient to establish guilt. The boy was found unfit to stand trial earlier in his case after mental health evaluations.
The state’s side has rested its case, but the boy’s defense attorney, Peter Dluski, indicated he has three additional witnesses for the court to hear. They were not present Thursday.

After two hours of testimony from Brown and learning that the other witnesses would not take the stand, Judge Charles Feeney set the next discharge hearing for March 16. Feeney added he was frustrated that the witnesses were not present and wanted the case to reach a conclusion, which has been “drawn out to a degree that is reaching absurdity.” bbm

Brown was critical of the investigation and conclusions of state fire marshal Mike Poel, saying several investigative procedures used in fire investigations were not used by Poel. The state fire marshal initially ruled the cause of the fire in a mobile home park as “undetermined,” but later changed his opinion to “possibly incendiary,” said Brown.

An analysis by the Illinois State Police crime lab on five pieces of debris, and the shirt the child was wearing the night of the fire, showed four negative and one inconclusive result for incendiary residue. Brown said he considers an inconclusive result the same as a negative finding.

The fire expert said he believed the fire started in the living room, based on the severe damage to that area of the home.

In his cross-examination, Woodford County State’s Attorney Greg Minger asked Brown about possible sources of the fire. Asked if he would be surprised to learn that someone had deliberately set the fire, Brown said, “it would not shock me.” Such a conclusion would not be inconsistent with the physical evidence, he acknowledged.

The child denied setting the fire, but admitted to playing with fire previously when he set fire to a frisbee in his father’s garage.

The fire that engulfed the mobile home moved “like a trail on the carpet” leading to the living room, the boy told police. He recalled hearing “the furnace start and then I heard it go boom.”

Brown testified that he found no evidence that the furnace exploded, but he could not rule out another source, such as an aerosol can, as the source of the explosion.

eta:
*This case really hurts my faith in humanity. Then I realize this is an extraordinary case and isn’t a true representation of how children usually grow up. This little boy at 9 was a victim of his experiences by those in his life! imo
bbm
That last (bbm) paragraph really puts it where it is for that 9 year-old boy, both at that time and since. He had, IMO, been a victim of several things in his sad life when the fire occurred -- and I'm thinking that things prolly haven't changed much in that family since that fire happened. Sad, sad, sad.
Hoping it will conclude with fairness and speed, asap.

Only a few days late - but I shall go ahead & post this - to keep my records straight! :)

Thursday, February 23rd:
*Discharge Hearing (@ am CT) - IL – Ariel Wall (1), Daemeon Wall (2), Rose Alwood (2), Jason Wall (34) & Kathryn Murray (69) (April 6, 2019, Timberline Mobile Home Park, Goodfield) - *Kyle Alwood (9/now 13) arrested & charged (10/7/19) with 5 counts of murder, 2 counts of arson & 1 count of aggravated arson. The aggravated arson charge is based on the conclusion that the child knew people were in the home at the time the fire was started. Plead not guilty.
Information & court hearings from 10/21/19 thru 4/11/22 reference post #45 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/...5-people-goodfield-6-apr-2019-2.603311/page-3

5/13/22 Update: The State turned over evidence to a Woodford County judge on Friday related to an alleged propensity of a 12-year-old boy to start fires. Woodford County State’s Attorney Greg Minger submitted the materials as part of the State’s motion to include evidence of other bad acts or other crimes committed by the child. He was found mentally unfit to stand trial last year. In February, Woodford County Judge Charles Feeney heard testimony from two of the boy’s relatives about three other fires he is suspected of setting before the April 2019 blaze that destroyed the family’s mobile home. The first fire dates back to 2016 when the boy was 5 years old. DA Minger disclosed in February that authorities have evidence that the child set another fire in September. Minger & attorneys representing the child’s interests agreed on Friday that the new materials would be turned over to the Judge in lieu of testimony at the hearing. Judge Feeney set an 8/12/22 discharge hearing where he will rule on whether he will consider the new evidence in his decision in the case. A discharge hearing requires the State to prove the allegations against the child beyond a reasonable doubt. If the State is successful in proving its case, the Judge would allow the child to continue with treatment to attain mental fitness for trial, a process that could take up to five years. Next discharge hearing on 2/23/23.
2/23/23 Update: Terry Brown, a fire causation expert, testified Thursday in Woodford County Court that the fire’s cause was undetermined & he classified it as undetermined, He added he could not rule out that it was accidental. He testified as part of a series of discharge hearings, which are held to determine if the evidence against a defendant who is unfit to stand trial is sufficient to establish guilt. The boy was found unfit to stand trial earlier in his case after mental health evaluations. The state’s side has rested its case, but the boy’s defense attorney, Peter Dluski, indicated he has three additional witnesses for the court to hear. They were not present Thursday. After two hours of testimony from Brown & learning that the other witnesses would not take the stand, Judge Charles Feeney set the next discharge hearing for 3/16/23. Judge Feeney added he was frustrated that the witnesses were not present & wanted the case to reach a conclusion, which has been “drawn out to a degree that is reaching absurdity.”

Thursday, March 16th:
*Discharge Hearing (@ am CT) - IL – Ariel Wall (1), Daemeon Wall (2), Rose Alwood (2), Jason Wall (34) & Kathryn Murray (69) (April 6, 2019, Timberline Mobile Home Park, Goodfield) - *Kyle Alwood (9/now 13) arrested & charged (10/7/19) with 5 counts of murder, 2 counts of arson & 1 count of aggravated arson. The aggravated arson charge is based on the conclusion that the child knew people were in the home at the time the fire was started. Plead not guilty.
Information & court hearings from 10/21/19 thru 5/13/22 reference post #56 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/...5-people-goodfield-6-apr-2019-2.603311/page-3

2/23/23 Update: Terry Brown, a fire causation expert, testified Thursday in Woodford County Court that the fire’s cause was undetermined & he classified it as undetermined, He added he could not rule out that it was accidental. He testified as part of a series of discharge hearings, which are held to determine if the evidence against a defendant who is unfit to stand trial is sufficient to establish guilt. The boy was found unfit to stand trial earlier in his case after mental health evaluations. The state’s side has rested its case, but the boy’s defense attorney, Peter Dluski, indicated he has three additional witnesses for the court to hear. They were not present Thursday. After two hours of testimony from Brown & learning that the other witnesses would not take the stand, Judge Charles Feeney set the next discharge hearing for 3/16/23. Judge Feeney added he was frustrated that the witnesses were not present & wanted the case to reach a conclusion, which has been “drawn out to a degree that is reaching absurdity.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Findhim
Back