IL - Child, 9, charged in fire deaths of 5 people, Goodfield, 6 Apr 2019 #2

i'm confused. the judge found enough evidence he was guilty, but ruled NOT GUILTY and ordered mental eval? And the Defense is filing an appeal on the NOT GUILTY? totally lost on this one.
I was confused, too. IMO that is very faulty media reporting only by centralillinoisproud.com linked above (page 5). Their report of not guilty is not the judge's ruling at all. IMO other sources report with quotations that: "...In affirming the state’s case, Feeney determined the boy was “not acquitted of the charges,” and ordered a mental health evaluation by a Peoria psychiatrist..." IMO this is the report from WGLT public radio from Illinois State University.

I do not know how any journalist could construe "not acquitted" as "not guilty". The judge's ruling pushed the case forward for trial and his ruling is being appealed. After the appeal is resolved, then the case returns to the judge's order for a new mental fitness evaluation for trial. This case has not been resolved, has never been to trial, has only made it through what many jurisdictions call the preliminary hearing IMO. The judge is right that all these delays are absurd... and the child is still starting fires IMO.

Last edited:
Just printing up new sheets for my cases - and wondering if there is anything new on this one?

@imstilla.grandma ? TIA if you find something! :)
I’m sorry @Niner ❤️ I missed one of your earlier posts but frustrating because I can’t find anything new. Just an older article.

The Goodfield boy accused of killing five people in a 2019 fire will be re-evaluated to determine if he is fit for trial after a Woodford County judge ruled not to acquit the boy Thursday.

“He needs to be in a program that is going to bring him to fitness,” Judge Charles Feeney said, ordering that the boy be evaluated by a psychiatric doctor based in Peoria to obtain a recommendation for treatment.

In July 2020, the boy, who was 9 at the time of the fatal fire, was found to be unfit to stand for trial. Feeney said he believed that was based on his “age and lack of development, which is a temporary condition.”

In his interview with police, the boy said he had played with fire in the past and admitted to using a lighter to start a Frisbee on fire inside his father’s garage.

The boy’s grandmother Lori Alwood and aunt, Samantha Alwood, who are mother and daughter, testified Monday about three other fires that had occurred in the boy’s presence previous to the April 2019 one.

Monday’s testimony came on two Woodford County State’s Attorney’s motions to admit evidence of “other acts” and the defendant’s previous statements.

Judge Charles Feeney granted the motions. He said a “clear issue” in the case is the understanding of fire at the defendant’s age.

“This evidence would make clear that he had a keen understanding of fire,” Feeney said. “Actually, this evidence would make clear that he had a keen understanding of fire even if he didn’t set the fire,” because of his presence, which “shows his understanding of what fire does.”

Lori and Samantha Alwood described a fire at their home in Carlock in 2016 when the boy, who was 5 years old at the time, had visited with his mother to spend the night.

Samantha Alwood smelled smoke as she fell asleep on a couch in the living room. She went to her bedroom where the boy and his mother were staying and saw flames at the end of the bed. She said the boy’s mother was asleep in bed and the boy was standing near a window watching the fire.

Lori Alwood also said the boy watched the flames from the bed, then walked to the living room and watched TV as the rest of the family rushed to pour buckets of water on the fire.

The aunt also testified Monday that she found a Zippo lighter belonging to Lori Alwood’s husband underneath the bed.

Another fire occurred in the summer of 2018 at Lori and Samantha Alwood’s newer home at the same trailer park in Goodfield, about a three-minute walk from the boy’s home, Samantha Alwood testified.

Lori Alwood said she was at the boy’s home with other family and friends, while Samantha Alwood was asleep on a couch at her home, when the boy entered his home and asked “Do you smell smoke?”

Lori Alwood said she did not smell smoke, but rushed to her home and saw flames through the window. She entered the house to awaken Samantha Alwood and they put the fire out, which burned a recliner chair and a garbage can, she said.

Samantha Alwood said she found a small lighter near the melted garbage can.

About two weeks after the summer of 2018 fire, Lori Alwood said the boy admitted to her that he ignited the 2016 fire at her Carlock home, but he denied involvement in any other fire, his grandmother said.

Later that summer, his aunt and grandmother said a new car seat purchased for one of the young kids caught ablaze inside the boy’s mother’s car. The boy was seen standing at the front of the vehicle as the car seat burned and as others rushed to gather water, the aunt and grandmother testified.

The next hearing is scheduled for April 11.

What a sad childhood for K.
I'd never read about all of those other fires he set. And some while people were asleep in the trailer. o_O

He clearly needs a lot of help, maybe more than just counselling can offer. I won't be surprised if he is sent to an in house treatment facility for awhile.

Do his family members he is living with take turns sleeping? yikes

This incident is very frightening :

Another fire occurred in the summer of 2018 at Lori and Samantha Alwood’s newer home at the same trailer park in Goodfield, about a three-minute walk from the boy’s home, Samantha Alwood testified.

Lori Alwood said she was at the boy’s home with other family and friends, while Samantha Alwood was asleep on a couch at her home, when the boy entered his home and asked “Do you smell smoke?”

Lori Alwood said she did not smell smoke, but rushed to her home and saw flames through the window. She entered the house to awaken Samantha Alwood and they put the fire out, which burned a recliner chair and a garbage can, she said.

“This evidence would make clear that he had a keen understanding of fire,” Feeney said.

“Actually, this evidence would make clear that he had a keen understanding of fire even if he didn’t set the fire,” because of his presence, which “shows his understanding of what fire does.”

Evidence in the case would be used in a discharge hearing, which requires the state to prove beyond a reasonable doubt to the court that it has evidence proving the case beyond a reasonable doubt.

If the court rules there is sufficient evidence in the case, then it would allow the defendant to continue with treatment to attain fitness at trial.

Woodford County State’s Attorney Greg Minger said prosecutors filed another motion Friday to include “other acts” based on a separate fire that occurred in September 2021.

The next hearing is scheduled for April 11. @Niner

*hopefully you or someone else will understand this opinion dated 13 Nov 2023, snipped:
¶ 2 In October 2019, the State filed a petition for adjudication of wardship, alleging that respondent, K.A. (born January 2010), was a delinquent minor due to his having committed (1) five counts of first degree murder (720 ILCS 5/9-1(a)(3) (West 2018)), (2) one count of aggravated arson, (id. § 20-1.1(a)), and (3) two counts of arson (id. § 20-1(b)). The petition alleged generally that on April 6, 2019, respondent knowingly "set fire to the trailer residence located at 14 Cypress Court, Goodfield, Illinois," causing the deaths of (1) Jason Wall, (2) Damien Wall, (3) Kathryn Murray, (4) Ariel Wall, and (5) Rose A.

¶ 3 In July 2020, the trial court found that respondent was unfit and unlikely to attain fitness within a year's time. In August 2022, the court conducted a discharge hearing pursuant to section 104-23 of the Code of Criminal Procedure of 1963 (Procedure Code) (725 ILCS 5/10423 (West 2020)) at which the court determined that respondent was "not not guilty" on all counts.

¶ 4 Respondent appeals, arguing that (1) the State did not present sufficient evidence to prove respondent's guilt beyond a reasonable doubt and (2) respondent was denied a fair hearing because the trial court erred by (a) admitting other-crimes evidence, (b) denying respondent's motion to suppress his statements to law enforcement officers, and (c) permitting the admission of inadmissible hearsay. We disagree and affirm

Last edited:
"Woodford County State’s Attorney Greg Minger said prosecutors filed another motion Friday to include “other acts” based on a separate fire that occurred in September 2021."

THAT is really scary. So just last year, at age 13, there was another fire set?

I have been his biggest defender, back at the tragic event, where his family was decimated. Because of his tender age and his kind of troubled home life, I felt he didn't know what happened and it was a tragic accident.

But this many years later, and several fires later, I cannot use that defense for him anymore. :(

Last edited:
"Woodford County State’s Attorney Greg Minger said prosecutors filed another motion Friday to include “other acts” based on a separate fire that occurred in September 2021."

THAT is really scary. So just last year, at age 11, there was another fire set?

I have been his biggest defender, back at the tragic event, where his family was decimated. Because of his tender age and his kind of troubled home life, I felt he didn't know what happened and it was a tragic accident.

But this many years later, and several fires later, I cannot use that defense for him anymore. :(
I feel the same katy. I’m so sad about this. I too have been very invested in KA’s case from the get-go. I just feel something must have really went wrong early on in his life. I mean, my gosh, he reads like he has homicidal tendencies.

It sounds like he has pyromania. Not diagnosing him, but he has set so many fires since he was very young and that's just not normal.

I wonder if he has been receiving treatment for that? Therapy? Anything at all? The family knew he started fires and did nothing to address it, leading to this tragedy. And now, it seems like whatever is being done is not enough to help him. But what exactly has been done?

What Is Pyromania? WebMD

Thursday, April 11th:
*Status Hearing (@ am CT) - IL – Ariel Wall (1), Daemeon Wall (2), Rose Alwood (2), Jason Wall (34) & Kathryn Murray (69) (April 6, 2019, Timberline Mobile Home Park, Goodfield) - *Kyle Alwood (9/now 13) arrested & charged (10/7/19) with 5 counts of murder, 2 counts of arson & 1 count of aggravated arson. The aggravated arson charge is based on the conclusion that the child knew people were in the home at the time the fire was started. Plead not guilty.
Information & court hearings from 10/21/19 thru 2/23/23 reference post #60 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/...5-people-goodfield-6-apr-2019-2.603311/page-4

3/16/23 Update: Judge Charles Feeney concluded the first phase of juvenile court proceedings to determine if the state has enough evidence to prove arson & murder charges beyond a reasonable doubt. In affirming the state’s case, Feeney determined the boy was “not acquitted of the charges,” and ordered a mental health evaluation by a Peoria psychiatrist to see if a July 2020 finding of unfitness still stands. State law allows up to five years for the boy to be restored to mental fitness on the murder charges, meaning the deadline for the process is July 9, 2026. The standard for mental fitness is a defendant’s ability to understand the charges & legal process & the ability to assist one’s lawyer with a defense. Feeney said he considers the child “a teachable kid,” with “an educational problem,” rather than a mental health issue. As part of the evaluation process, the judge said he will be asking the psychiatrist for recommendations as to what is needed to restore the child to mental fitness. An 4/14/23 hearing is set to review the status of the evaluation.
4/14/23 Update: Attorneys for Kyle appealed the judge’s March discharge ruling. Judge Charles Feeney’s discharge ruling indicated the evidence presented could prove beyond a reasonable doubt the boy was guilty of five counts of first degree murder, two counts of arson & one count of aggravated arson. Feeney found the boy not “not guilty” & ordered a mental evaluation. On Friday, attorneys said the mental evaluation has not been completed yet. The judge put a pause on the evaluation until the appeals court makes a decision. The boy has been appointed a public defender.
11/13/23 Update: Woodford County State’s Attorney Greg Minger said prosecutors filed another motion Friday to include “other acts” based on a separate fire that occurred in September 2021.
Opinion dated 13 Nov 2023, snipped:
¶ 2 In October 2019, the State filed a petition for adjudication of wardship, alleging that respondent, K.A. (born January 2010), was a delinquent minor due to his having committed (1) five counts of first degree murder (720 ILCS 5/9-1(a)(3) (West 2018)), (2) one count of aggravated arson, (id. § 20-1.1(a)) & (3) two counts of arson (id. § 20-1(b)). The petition alleged generally that on April 6, 2019, respondent knowingly "set fire to the trailer residence located at 14 Cypress Court, Goodfield, Illinois," causing the deaths of (1) Jason Wall, (2) Damien Wall, (3) Kathryn Murray, (4) Ariel Wall & (5) Rose A.
¶ 3 In July 2020, the trial court found that respondent was unfit & unlikely to attain fitness within a year's time. In August 2022, the court conducted a discharge hearing pursuant to section 104-23 of the Code of Criminal Procedure of 1963 (Procedure Code) (725 ILCS 5/10423 (West 2020)) at which the court determined that respondent was "not guilty" on all counts.
¶ 4 Respondent appeals, arguing that (1) the State did not present sufficient evidence to prove respondent's guilt beyond a reasonable doubt & (2) respondent was denied a fair hearing because the trial court erred by (a) admitting other-crimes evidence, (b) denying respondent's motion to suppress his statements to law enforcement officers & (c) permitting the admission of inadmissible hearsay. We disagree & affirm.

The next hearing is scheduled for 4/11/24.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant
Back