IL - Christian, 9, & Grace Vasilev, 3, stabbed to death, 27 April 2005 *Insanity*

i dont think people snap all that often. she was either mental or not the day before, the week before, hell the month before. if she was so crazy that she thought it was ok to kill her kids then why is her husband not responsible for leaving them with her?

Jesus! I had never heard of this either! The terror those little kids must have felt. I wonder what kind of a mother she had seemed to the outside world!Is there a link to any photos of the 2 children and 'mum'?

This is from a google image search for Christian:

wls_042905_vasilev_kids.jpg

I also had never heard of this case until reading this. ..I do believe that mom knew what she was doing...
Does anyone remember Patricia Columbo and her lover Frank that was also of Elk Grove Village...sorry to be off-topic...

Seeing the picture of the children really broke my heart.

The mother in this case had a lengthy period of mental illness (ie - the first time she tried to kill herself she was 12 years old). From what I've read, she had periods of relief from her mental demons...followed be periods where it controlled her.

Given her suicidal tendencies, she probably would be fine with receiving the death penalty...except for the fact that according to 5 experts (both pros and defense experts), she is so insane that she wouldn't even know what that means. If 5 experts from both sides find her this crazy, that's good enough for me.

If you think justice wasn't served in this case, it might be worth your while to take a trip to an institute for the criminally insane....hell on earth like it's hard to imagine....way worse than death row IMHO.

A mother doesn't stab her children 500+ times because they spilled kool-aid on the carpet or were bickering over what tv show to watch. She does it because she has literally lost her mind.

The mother in this case had a lengthy period of mental illness (ie - the first time she tried to kill herself she was 12 years old). From what I've read, she had periods of relief from her mental demons...followed be periods where it controlled her.

Given her suicidal tendencies, she probably would be fine with receiving the death penalty...except for the fact that according to 5 experts (both pros and defense experts), she is so insane that she wouldn't even know what that means. If 5 experts from both sides find her this crazy, that's good enough for me.

If you think justice wasn't served in this case, it might be worth your while to take a trip to an institute for the criminally insane....hell on earth like it's hard to imagine....way worse than death row IMHO.

A mother doesn't stab her children 500+ times because they spilled kool-aid on the carpet or were bickering over what tv show to watch. She does it because she has literally lost her mind.
i dont think justice was served. what about the father? he knew his wife had problems and left her with the kids. why is he not atleast guilty of neglect?

i dont think justice was served. what about the father? he knew his wife had problems and left her with the kids. why is he not atleast guilty of neglect?

I feel like the father would have been held accountable if the evidence supported that. But from my recollections of the case, his wife had lengthy periods of time when she seemed to be doing fine. After all, she had managed not to kill one of the children for nine years.

What the father might or might not have noticed leading up to this event, I do not know. But I do believe that some people with certain mental illnesses can "snap" pretty suddenly.

At the age of 12, Vasilev attempted suicide and was diagnosed with major depression. For years at a time, Vasilev could go without symptoms of mental illness. But in the weeks leading up to the killings, she told her husband and mother about a man she feared might steal their children. They had no indication the children were in danger and Nikolai Vasilev tried to convince his wife to see a doctor to no avail
so for weeks they felt she was ill enough to need to see a doctor but thought it was ok to leave the kids there? what about her own health. any parent knows that kids that age can cause alot of stress. if they did not fear for the kids safety did they atleast fear for the moms? the day my husband becomes so delusional that i ask him to see a doctor is the day i never leave him alone with my kids again.

I think that the right decision was made by the judge. Anyone that would stab their children that many times has to be crazy. Hopfully she will be in the instition for the rest of her life.

I still hold the husband accountable because he knew she was thinking thoughts that weren't right before this happened. Because she had a history of mental illness I would think that he could have gotten a mental health worker to come to the house if she refused to go to the doctor. Of course she didn't think anything was wrong with her. It was his responsibility to see that she received the help that she needed. By that time she wasn't capable to even realizing that she needed help. He could have called 911 and told them that she was a danger to herself or others. Anything to get her into a hospital to get help.

I can hardly get beyond what she did to those kids though. To think that the last thing that they say and felt was their mother who they loved stabbing them and then trying to try and get away from her and get her to stop. I can't imagine what was going through their little minds at that time. I just can't drum up any sad feelings for the mother even if she was insane.

(bold is mine)

Absolutely!! I agree with you 100%!!

Here is a link that I posted in the Yates thread a while back that gives great insight as to what it is like in some hospitals for the criminally insane. I recommend anyone that feels people found NGBRI are getting away with murder or are not being punished, read this...

Criminally insane taking over state hospitals

"Violent patients assault infirm, elderly, even staff -- at times with deadly consequences"

"Shortly after midnight on Christmas, Orrin Patrick, a 45-year-old mentally ill patient at Napa State Hospital, led a young orderly into the starkly lit dayroom on Unit T-7.

There, lying in a pool of blood on the speckled linoleum floor, was John Reed, 48, of Yuba City. He had been pummeled in the face and strangled.

To hospital employees and patients' rights advocates, Reed's slaying exposes a fundamental flaw in California's mental health system: Criminally inclined, often violent patients are now in the majority at state hospitals - and the hospitals are ill-equipped to handle them.

The problem has reached a critical stage at Napa State Hospital, which has a severe employee shortage and where staff members are given only rudimentary training on how to deal with criminal behavior. With more than 100 job vacancies at the hospital, the nursing staff has barely enough time to clothe, feed and medicate patients, let alone deal with violent outbursts.

"This particular death is the result of some serious long-term problems in providing care for people who have been committed to this hospital," said social worker Joan Bartos, who worked at Napa State Hospital until a year ago. "It's not a safe place for patients to be treated. It's also a very dangerous place for staff...."

More @ link-
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2001/07/22/MN122212.DTL

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname