GUILTY IL - Dr. David Cornbleet, 64, stabbed to death, Chicago, 24 Oct 2006

I think robbery is defnitely the most likely motive. The killer entered the building with a purpose in my opinion from watching the video. I have said it early on, and I say it again....look at the patient visitor log. I don't think a patient did it, but I do think it will end up being the acquaintance of a patient. The doctor had been on a recent trip, and he was known for having a lot of collectibles from his trips.

Bobbisangel said:
I think it is hard to tell anything by the videos. They point out his right pant leg but it could just look bigger because of the way he is moving I can't imagine having something in your lower pant leg when you have a back pack.

It also looks like he was wearing more clothes on top then he needed to wear because at one point he takes the light colored jacket off and covers his face or that is what it looks like to me. Then he puts the jacket back on as he is nearly out of camera range. It's to bad the camera wasn't a better camera...clearer. His backpack could look fuller depending on how it was hanging off of his back. If it is hanging off of one shoulder it would droop and look fuller but with it over both shoulders that would keep it more balanced and it would look less full. That is my take anyway. The guy looks heavier and thicker when he is wearing so many clothes. He doesn't look so big with just one jacket on. Maybe he wore layers of clothing to look heavier.

I wonder if someone at the FBI lab could clear the video up at all.

In one part of the video there are three people behind him in the hallway when he is taking off. Have any of those people come forward to describe what this guy looks like or maybe they only saw his back as he took off. It looks like he was in a big hurry.

This person might not have even known the doctor but maybe had a friend who had been to him and the friend talked about the neat stuff in the doctor's office and it gave this guy some big ideas. Probably needing money for dope. I can't imagine why anyone would want to murder this doctor unless it was to rob him. What could go wrong when you are seeing a skin doctor? I could understand if he was a surgeon and something went wrong during a surgery and someone died but not a skin doc.

Well, a few things:

The people that were behind him, one of them reported him to security I believe. I'll have to double-check that.

As far as robbery being a motive, NOTHING was taken. There were large amounts of cash in the office that were untouched and his trinket collection seems to be in place. I'm also a little bit disinclined to think that this was just a robbery because... well, in general, are robbers really this smart usually? This guy knew where the security cameras were, walked in with a purpose... I dunno- maybe it's just me but this crime seems a lot more personal- intensely so. Stabbing is almost universally a PERSONAL way to attack someone and for some reason, I want to say that if the motive were purely robbery, a gun would have been used, not a knife.

As far as what could go wrong with a skin doc well... I hate to bring this up because I'm on the medication myself, but Accutane can have some serious side effects. It's only given as a last ditch treatment for severe cystic acne when all others have failed, but it can cause depression or even a psychotic break in the wrong people. I'd like to ascribe this murder to that... but I don't think it's that simple. This whole situation was just too.. deliberate, planned, and personal.

Btw, glad to see you here Bobbisangel. I haven't been over in the TD threads recently so I haven't seen much of you. Welcome Reannan too.

Melisinde, your observations make a lot of sense. The perp seemed to leave with something he didn't have when he arrived, however! What is that tube? Did the doctor have something in his office that would not have been listed as missing? A painting? A map??? Very strange. I sure with I could help find this guy.

Gina_M said:
I haven't read anything that would indicate he had a secret life. If you read what his son wrote about him on the MySpace page, Dr. Cornbleet was a great man who cared about his patients as well as his family, and was very ethical and honest. His son worked with him on many Saturdays and got to see the great rapport he had with his patients. Sure, it's possible that there's something going on that we don't know about, but I'm not going to jump to any conclusions.
The first thing I thought of was a secret life or a very unsatisfied patient who may have had a botched procedure. I have a feeling they will catch this guy soon.

From that article, re: the Home Depot purchase:

"It was something he used in the crime. I can't really say what it was, only that it's not like duct tape or something you or I may need specifically."

Reannan said:
Melisinde, your observations make a lot of sense. The perp seemed to leave with something he didn't have when he arrived, however! What is that tube? Did the doctor have something in his office that would not have been listed as missing? A painting? A map??? Very strange. I sure with I could help find this guy.

Nothing appears to be missing as far as those go. Some thought that the tube might be a roll of the paper doctors put down on the examining table, but doesn't appear to be so. I thought the same thing you did though (that the tube was new- meaning since he left the doctor's office.) I saw somewhere that someone said maybe it was a weapon used in the attack and it's actually in his pant leg BEFORE he enters. (His right leg looks bulkier.)

T-Rex, I really think the guy from the HD tape looks like the guy on the surveillance tape. The "square" of his shoulders seems to be the same and the way he walks also...

Whoever the guy is, I'm afraid for him running loose. He seems to have planned his crime very well and for someone of his age, not to slip up... and as you said earlier, T-Rex, he did a "spin" or some kind of dance when he walked into the elevator. I think the perp is a calculating kind of person. The attack was not random.

My apologies if this has already been covered, but could this crime have been committed by someone who stood to benefit financially from either a life insurance policy or from Dr. Cornbleet's estate? The fact that he was stabbed could suggest that it was a personal crime. Also, both videotapes depict a relatively young man; a younger person murdering an older person with no robbery involved... could money down the line be the motivating factor? I hate to even mention this because the son seems to genuinely be trying to solve his father's murder, but do we know anything about his background or his alibi? What about other siblings?

http://www.myspace.com/dr_david_cornbleet_murder

^ There are a few more enhanced pictures here and enhanced video. Does it look to anyone like the suspect might have a beard???? It only looks like it in the one picture so maybe he had something covering his mouth. I also wish I could figure out what that damn tube is or what purpose it may have had. It seems like SUCH a random thing.

I go to that web site every night to watch the video again, hoping to see something new. I'm so glad someone else on here is still following the case too.

I don't think the Home Depot guy is the same person.

But the original guy...when he flees, with the jacket in front of him--does it look like he's covering up something square? About the size of a record album, or a framed picture? Look at the shape of the hood, by his armpit.

Also, I'm starting to think the tube is a handle. To raquet, or a tool, or something like that. Look at how the messenger bag pushes up against the suspect's back in the center, when he first walks down the hall. Like something round and flat is causing a high point.

He still strikes me as a gay hustler. The disgruntled dermatology patient makes no sense. But I was wondering last night if maybe this ISN'T a robbery gone wrong--like the family in (I think) Richmond, or the realtor, showing a model home, where the overkill led everyone to think there was some kind of a personal connection, when there really wasn't.

Bobbisangel said:
I think it is hard to tell anything by the videos. They point out his right pant leg but it could just look bigger because of the way he is moving I can't imagine having something in your lower pant leg when you have a back pack.

It also looks like he was wearing more clothes on top then he needed to wear because at one point he takes the light colored jacket off and covers his face or that is what it looks like to me. Then he puts the jacket back on as he is nearly out of camera range. It's to bad the camera wasn't a better camera...clearer. His backpack could look fuller depending on how it was hanging off of his back. If it is hanging off of one shoulder it would droop and look fuller but with it over both shoulders that would keep it more balanced and it would look less full. That is my take anyway. The guy looks heavier and thicker when he is wearing so many clothes. He doesn't look so big with just one jacket on. Maybe he wore layers of clothing to look heavier.

I wonder if someone at the FBI lab could clear the video up at all.

In one part of the video there are three people behind him in the hallway when he is taking off. Have any of those people come forward to describe what this guy looks like or maybe they only saw his back as he took off. It looks like he was in a big hurry.

This person might not have even known the doctor but maybe had a friend who had been to him and the friend talked about the neat stuff in the doctor's office and it gave this guy some big ideas. Probably needing money for dope. I can't imagine why anyone would want to murder this doctor unless it was to rob him. What could go wrong when you are seeing a skin doctor? I could understand if he was a surgeon and something went wrong during a surgery and someone died but not a skin doc.

I watched the video and saw this ... for what it's worth ...

He entered the building wearing a gray jacket, used his right hand to open the door, left hand in his jacket pocket, head looking down.
Left the building with his gray jacket off and inside out. He appeared to be covering his hands with the jacket. Possibly injured his hands and was bleeding ... could have blood on the outside of his jacket too and that's why he took it off.
He used his left elbow to open the door to leave, leading me to believe he did injure his hands or least his right hand.
His bag appeared empty as he left (the wind blew it away from his body).

I saw nothing in this video that indicates he was carrying anything more than his jacket.

I would be looking at recent cases of fatal skin cancer or any recent deaths of patients under this physician's care to rule out if this was a revenge killing by a patient's son or family member.

IMO

wow....this makes me sick. I am very curious as to know what the motive might be...

The killer had to have left DNA at the scene.

Prayers that justice will soon be served.

http://blogs.smh.com.au/lifestyle/a...s/2007/05/pizza_face_the_terrible_scourg.html
I would be curious if it was former patient who suffered from the above, and maybe couldn't afford the brand of medication that would help, or after he was prescribed it, couldn't finish out the treatment due to costs.

What if there was a patient that required collections activity. Maybe garnished wages, that prevented him from paying his rent, or car payment, electric bill gas? something to really ruin him.

It seems clear that the individualy was fluid in his movements, as if he had gone the route a thousand times.

After watching the Home Depot footage, it would appear as if he was waiting for somebody to pick him up? After waiting arms folded for a few minutes He makes a call on his cell and then dashes out...

Also, is it me or does this guy seem to have .. not bowed but really hyperextended legs. I don't know how do describe it. Like a backwards S from the profile?

Too bad there wasn't a way to see who had incoming/outgoing calls at that time in that area, its such a dense population it would proabbly be impossible.

i'm pretty sure I read on the myspace site that the guy in the home depot video came forward and has been cleared.

A man has reportedly turned himself in in connection to the murder of a Michigan Avenue dermatologist.
~snip~
But now, a young man with both U.S. and French citizenship turned himself in to police on the French held section of the Caribbean Island of St. Martin. He has reportedly admitted to police there he killed Dr. Cornbleet and provided details of the crime that have not yet been made public.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=local&id=5567352

I'm glad this one has been solved. May quick justice be served.

From chico's link:
Police say security video shows the suspect arriving at the building just before the killing. But it took tips from a MySpace website to help police find the suspect. He was named in a Cook County bench warrant in June, Hans Peterson, a former patient of Dr. Cornbleet's who reportedly told authorities he believed the doctor had give him medication that caused him to become impotent.

:(

Fantastic, this coward fled the country to St. Martin shortly after he commited the crime and gained French citizenship and has now confessed to the murder from all the way in the Carribean and they think that they will face a battle getting extradition. :furious: :furious: I hope they can get his sorry butt back here!

One thought came to my mind and that's because I frequently see a dermatologist due to my own skin problems. I'm currently beginning Accutane and it has very serious side effects. One of these side effects can be mental issues. It is not a recommended treatment for anyone with a previous history of mental issues because of this. Mostly, it can cause depression or suicidal thoughts/urges, but it also lists that psychosis (like hearing voices or seeing things that aren't there) could be a complication. I'm wondering if the murder was triggered by the effects of Accutane.

Glad this case is solved. Amazed my suspicions were right.

Accutane really ought to be pulled off the market. It cured my acne... but there was quite a bit of mental hell involved in the process. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linnymac68$
Back