IL - Krystal Tobias, 9, & Laura Hobbs, 8, found dead in Zion park, 8 May 2005 - #2

golfmom said:
I believe the girls left Laura's home around 4:00
shortly after Hobbs leaves to go find Laura and bring her back home
between 6-6:30 witnesses saw the bike abandoned
sometime between 6-6:30 hobbs returns home and cleans himself up
7:00 laura's curfew
Unknown: Did family search between 7-8:40?
8:40 sheila calls the police
.....i'm pretty sure that we had heard 'brothers and sister' were sent out to look prior to the police being called...

"He didn't go home in Texas," Hollabaugh said. "He took the bus straight here."

HELLO Sheila's dad....did you pay for the ticket :doh: or did your daughter....no one wanted him in Texas so what other choice did he have....How stupid can you be....this was an "attempted murderer" here....how the hell did he get off from that one?? I didn't read he served any time for stabbing the tire squealer...did anyone else??

http://www.nbc5.com/news/4473376/detail.html

Arrested July 27, 1990 for aggravated assault with a weapon. Convicted Aug. 24, 1990.

Arrested July 3, 1994 for driving while license suspended, misdemeanor. Convicted Aug. 22, 1994.

Arrested July 30 1994 for possession of marijuana less than 2 oz. Convicted Sept. 12, 1994.

Arrested Dec. 11, 1995 for failing to identify fugitive from justice, misdemeanor. Convicted Feb. 12, 1996.

Arrested Jan. 16, 1997 for assault causing bodily injury, misdemeanor. Convicted March 18, 1997.

Arrested Aug. 10, 1997 for driving while license suspended, misdemeanor. Convicted Oct. 9, 1997.

Arrested Sept. 13, 1997 for resisting arrest, misdemeanor. Convicted Nov. 17 1997.

Arrested Sept. 27 1997 for evading arrest, misdemeanor. Convicted Dec. 1, 1997.

Arrested Sept. 15, 1998 for possession of marijuana, less than 2 oz., misdemeanor. Convicted Nov. 9, 1998.

Arrested Aug. 4 2001 for aggravated assault, causes severe bodily injury, second-degree felony. Convicted Dec. 5, 2002.

Is it possible, and I don't know the layout of the park vs. the Hobbs' house, but is it possible, if Laura and Krystal were at Laura's home at 3, sick father then tells her she can't go out anymore for whatever reason, she takes off ANYWAY and the girls, being precocious, go in the park to "hide" with him going after them on foot? If they weren't allowed to play in the park, wouldn't the park be a great place to try and hide? He gets enraged, doesn't have car or thinks he can catch up to them and goes after them on foot. I find it odd that if she was home at 3 or from 3-4, then she goes out and he wants her back so quickly. I think he told her NOT to go back out and she did. Why else would they be in the woods if they weren't allowed there? Was there any evidence he dragged them there, or could they have run down in the ravine to hide knowing he was coming after them? :waitasec:

SauerKraut said:
Is it possible, and I don't know the layout of the park vs. the Hobbs' house, but is it possible, if Laura and Krystal were at Laura's home at 3, sick father then tells her she can't go out anymore for whatever reason, she takes off ANYWAY and the girls, being precocious, go in the park to "hide" with him going after them on foot? If they weren't allowed to play in the park, wouldn't the park be a great place to try and hide? He gets enraged, doesn't have car or thinks he can catch up to them and goes after them on foot. I find it odd that if she was home at 3 or from 3-4, then she goes out and he wants her back so quickly. I think he told her NOT to go back out and she did. Why else would they be in the woods if they weren't allowed there? Was there any evidence he dragged them there, or could they have run down in the ravine to hide knowing he was coming after them? :waitasec:

This is from our locked thread . . .

"According to police reports, Laura's mother, Sheila K. Hollabaugh, 29, in filing a missing person report with police, told police that she had grounded her daughter for a week for taking $40 from her wallet. The mother also contended that her daughter spent the money with Krystal at a store, according to the police report.

Hollabaugh filed the missing person report with police Sunday night after her daughter failed to come home. In talking to the police, she said she thought that her daughter could be with Krystal. She told police that there was no fight that day between mother and daughter that would have "led her to run away." She added that earlier in the day they had gone kite-flying at Lake Michigan."

But as a condition for ending her grounding, she told police, she had cautioned Laura "not to hang out with Krystal."

Cypros said:
Thanks golfmom,
It seems that Laura looks an awful lot like her aunt. It is difficult to see the mother in that picture, but appears older than I expected.
Sheila is 29 years old...I read that somewhere today :)

What time were they spotted on the hammock outside...that was around 4 p.m. wasn't it?...
Whose house was the hammock at....was it at another friend's house not Krystals?

Sheila takes Laura out to fly kites and celebrate Mothers Day..it's 1:00-2:00. They go back home and Sheila tells Laura she is ungrounded and could go play outside...it's 3:00. Sheila puts the stuff away from the outting.
Sheila lays down to take a nap at 4:00. As soon as she is asleep, Hobbs goes looking for them about 4:30. He finds them within 20-30 mins..it's 5:00.
He "impounds" them on the trail and slaughter them and drags them back into the woods a little ways, goes back and gets their shoes and places the shoes beside them...it's 5:30. He hot tails it home to clean up. The guy with the kids sees the bike at 6:00. Sheila wakes up to the noises of Hobbs cleaning himself up and hiding the knife...it's almost 7:00. She wonders where Laura is..starts looking at about 7:30. They go to Krystals house and her other friends to look for her...it's 8:30. Sheila calls police at 8:50.

speculation..............they died between 5:00 and 5:30.

ME was way off on the time of death! Is he real doctor or just an appointed ME? The time of death that he first gave in news reports ( 12midnight- 3:00am) may be a problem for the prosecution. The defense will say he is crazy and was feeling guilty... they were "railroading him." Defense will try to get the confessions thrown out. I'm worried about the confessions because the grandfather said he didn't have an atty because they couldn't afford one. Sorry, I'm just thinking out loud.

joanofarc said:
What time were they spotted on the hammock outside...that was around 4 p.m. wasn't it?...
Whose house was the hammock at....was it at another friend's house not Krystals?

I thought the Hammock was at the Goetz house, the same house where they drew in chalk on the garage door but I'm not sure. This would make sense then.

I thought I heard somewhere that the mother wasn't home that afternoon, only the father was. That's why I was thinking he took off looking for her when the mother was not home. Hmmm, okay.

If the mother WAS home and she knew the father went out looking for her at 4:30, then she would have seen him come home all bloody, no? If he came home without her, wouldn't that look weird if he was out looking for her? Then what, he comes home, can't find her, so they go out looking again? Something does not add up. I think the mother is hiding something.....and it's not just the Bear Claws.

richandfamous said:
Sheila takes Laura out to fly kites and celebrate Mothers Day..it's 1:00-2:00. They go back home and Sheila tells Laura she is ungrounded and could go play outside...it's 3:00. Sheila puts the stuff away from the outting.
Sheila lays down to take a nap at 4:00. As soon as she is asleep, Hobbs goes looking for them about 4:30. He finds them within 20-30 mins..it's 5:00.
He "impounds" them on the trail and slaughter them and drags them back into the woods a little ways, goes back and gets their shoes and places the shoes beside them...it's 5:30. He hot tails it home to clean up. The guy with the kids sees the bike at 6:00. Sheila wakes up to the noises of Hobbs cleaning himself up and hiding the knife...it's almost 7:00. She wonders where Laura is..starts looking at about 7:30. They go to Krystals house and her other friends to look for her...it's 8:30. Sheila calls police at 8:50.

speculation..............they died between 5:00 and 5:30.

ME was way off on the time of death! Is he real doctor or just an appointed ME? The time of death that he first gave in news reports ( 12midnight- 3:00am) may be a problem for the prosecution. The defense will say he is crazy and was feeling guilty... they were "railroading him." Defense will try to get the confessions thrown out. I'm worried about the confessions because the grandfather said he didn't have an atty because they couldn't afford one. Sorry, I'm just thinking out loud.

Great job on the timeline. I think you've nailed it closer than I did. I'm not too worried about the confession in this case, I think that the physical evidence is going to be there. I also suspect once reality hits that the grandfather won't be supporting Hobbs.

golfmom said:
Great job on the timeline. I think you've nailed it closer than I did. I'm not too worried about the confession in this case, I think that the physical evidence is going to be there. I also suspect once reality hits that the grandfather won't be supporting Hobbs.

That timeline makes sense. Where did I hear that the kids were out all day, like from the morning on? I thought they were playing around 9 or 10 in the am? I also didn't realize the mother was home while the father went out looking for Laura. If she heard him come home, wouldn't she have wondered where he was the whole time? She couldn't sense something in his behavior?

I hope to Gott the confession is not thrown out, I don't think so. They probably have evidence, plus, look at this guys track record. I just don't think he'll get the DP.

I wonder if Sheila ever posted at PTO :rolleyes: :banghead:

I am just sick about this!!

Mr.Cake fell asleep with the TV and woke up hearing the details on a news show(he is NOT 'into" crimes -he cant watch CSI! Hes delicate like that!! :) ) and just wept.I woke up because he was crying and of course when I found out what got him started I started crying.............

Everytime I think Im jaded something UNBELIVABLE happens......I thought the details about Jessie were bad but this?!?!?!

I cant comprehend the evil that walks among us AND Im sick to freakin death of the "he had a bad life" crapola that the Defense will put on !!

I had a life (I was abused,in and out of foster care,raped,a highschool dropout,was a teenage Mom,used drugs and hung around with some real scumbags,have a mental illness yadda yadda yadda) BUT I have never HURT anyone!! I never went to jail,chased anyone with a chainsaw or stabbed my baby in the eyes!!(writing that makes me tear up).Ive never raped anyone or beat my kids or let someone else do either!!
I take care of my kids and my house.I got my degree.I pay taxes,I vote.I go to Church and try to be a productive member of society.I dont love everyone and they sure as hell dont love me *but* I nod to my neighbors and take care of my business-period.

Im at the point that someone people just do NOT desreve to live among us..........maybe Ive lived in the South for too long but I think certain "people" need to just be "taken out back and shot" END OF STORY!!!!

There is NO rehabilitation.There are NO second chances (or 3rd or 4th).

golfmom said:
Public defender has already said that 2 death penalty qualified lawyers will be assigned as well, however, he looks like no matter who they get a DEAD MAN WALKING to me.

No one commented, but we have a solid witness to the bike between 6:00-6:30.

I just signed in, and this was the 1st thing I noticed. That means those 2 girls laid there for 5 1/2 to 6 HOURS dying. This just tears my heart up. I really could cry over this. I can't imagine any of my kids dying like that, especially at the hands of a family member.

Actually, I feel sorry for the public defender(s) assigned to this one. You know they won't want it, and you know people will come down hard on them. They will be viewed in a different light just for defending him.

joanofarc said:
Sheila is 29 years old...I read that somewhere today :)
Combine that info. with the fact they had a relationship for 12 years....

Therefore, Sheila was 17 when she first got involved with this & already had a child from a previous relationship.
Sounds like a lot of things went wrong from the start with these 2. Yet those are always the ones that have a bunch of kids.:banghead:

No ladies, I think the coroner was way off in the estimated of time of death. I think they died immediately. I'm just speculating because I have not heard anything yet, but it just doesn't make sense that they could have survived those kind of injuries for 10 minutes much less hours . . . .

The only way this gets plead down to no death penalty is if Hobbs pleads guilty and accepts life without parole. I can see Lake County wanting to save the $$ for something more worthwhile than this

mrs4point0 said:
I just signed in, and this was the 1st thing I noticed. That means those 2 girls laid there for 5 1/2 to 6 HOURS dying. This just tears my heart up. I really could cry over this. I can't imagine any of my kids dying like that, especially at the hands of a family member.

I don't think it means NECESSARILY that the girls laid there dying for 5 or 6 hours. The original assessment of time of death was around midnight, but they also said that that assessment could be affected by the weather, etc. I would guess by the severity of the stab wounds and the number of stabs wounds -- along with their small size -- that the two girls died either immediately or very soon after the assault. I just heard someone on Court TV say that both girls "bled out" and their tracchea were cut.

messiecake said:
I wonder if Sheila ever posted at PTO :rolleyes: :banghead:

I am just sick about this!!

I cant comprehend the evil that walks among us AND Im sick to freakin death of the "he had a bad life" crapola that the Defense will put on !!

Im at the point that someone people just do NOT desreve to live among us..........maybe Ive lived in the South for too long but I think certain "people" need to just be "taken out back and shot" END OF STORY!!!!

There is NO rehabilitation.There are NO second chances (or 3rd or 4th).

Couldn't agree more! This guy was given TOO MANY CHANCES!!! Pay now or pay later, the states need to wake the F up!!!!! This guy should NOT have been out of jail (or mental hospital!) Whoever kept pushing for his "second chances" times whatever, should be ashamed of themselves. All this crap I hear "Well, he served his time, we couldn't predict he would do this, he wasn't obligated to be on parole...." It's all BS! The states need to fork over some money for some good criminal psychologists that KNOW in advance, hey this guy is a danger to himself and others. The problem is, the states and governments want to pay squat, they attract the lowest level workers so they can pay less and then people like this fall through the cracks. This gets me so angry. And you KNOW the defense (another pathetic excuse for justice) is going to poo poo his life to try and gain sympathy. Hopefully, just hopefully, some inmate with an even bigger temper than this guys, will get his hands on him and beat the life out of him. It would be too good.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ateav
Back