IL IL - Lacey Gaines, 22, Justice, 7 Dec 2009

I am so sorry this case has gone nowhere. I hope someday for resolution in Lacey's case. Her family, including you, ChaCha, deserve that, at least.

giving the show you linked a listen as I type.

If I disappear its because I am following the link you provided to the thread that was located in crimes in the news.

Cherry, I am so sorry this happened to your neice. It is obvious that she held a special place in your heart and I hurt for your loss.

So the ex passed a polly and suplied an alibi. Do we know what the alibi was? We know it satisfied LE but do YOU know what alibi he provided? Also, do you have any more info regarding the new (current at time of murder) BF? You say he was jealous type but that Lacey never mentioned abuse by him.

Also, you mention that she grew up in the cornfields of IL in your radio interview, may I ask where? I ask because I am in central IL (corn country). you also say she was fluent in spanish. That made me wonder if she grew up in or arround the beardstown area. I know that that area has a large population of immigrants from Mexico. you say that the ex BF was quite a bit older than Lacey, I wondered where they met, how long she had resided in justice, etc.

ETA I realize that these are all questions you may have answered several times previously and I apologize if I am asking you to repeat things you already said when the case was fresh but your thread and opening post called out to me and I want to give this a try. Please know I am by no means a supersleuth and have only been a member a while, but for some reason, Lacey, you , her little one and this case spoke to me and I would like to try to look at it with fresh eyes.

Am I to understand from the linked radio interview, that the ex went to all the trouble to pursue paternity establishment, threatened to remove the child to mexico, and then after Lacey's murder, has never pursued a relationship with his son?

Cherry, I am so sorry this happened to your neice. It is obvious that she held a special place in your heart and I hurt for your loss.

So the ex passed a polly and suplied an alibi. Do we know what the alibi was? He was supposedly at work (although I was of the impression he didn't work) We know it satisfied LE but do YOU know what alibi he provided? Also, do you have any more info regarding the new (current at time of murder) BF? Just approx 7PM You say he was jealous type but that Lacey never mentioned abuse by him. Correct

Also, you mention that she grew up in the cornfields of IL in your radio interview, may I ask where? Grant Park, IL I ask because I am in central IL (corn country). you also say she was fluent in spanish. That made me wonder if she grew up in or arround the beardstown area. I know that that area has a large population of immigrants from Mexico. you say that the ex BF was quite a bit older than Lacey, I wondered where they met, how long she had resided in justice, etc.
Lacey met her son's father while working at my brother-in-laws restaurant in Crete, IL called Vic's on Main. He was a busboy.

ETA I realize that these are all questions you may have answered several times previously and I apologize if I am asking you to repeat things you already said when the case was fresh but your thread and opening post called out to me and I want to give this a try. Please know I am by no means a supersleuth and have only been a member a while, but for some reason, Lacey, you , her little one and this case spoke to me and I would like to try to look at it with fresh eyes.
I greatly appreciate any attention or help we might get in Lacey's case. Thank you!

Am I to understand from the linked radio interview, that the ex went to all the trouble to pursue paternity establishment, threatened to remove the child to mexico, and then after Lacey's murder, has never pursued a relationship with his son?

I am not certain if he has a relationship with his son. Conor now lives with Lacey's parents and maternal grandmother. They applied for and were granted legal guardianship. I believe this was with the father's approval.

The last time I looked at her ex's myspace page he had photos of the house Lacey's father had purchased along with a car. I didn't see any photos of his son or his daughter from a previous relationship. There were many photos of drug related items and he says he is bi. He has large plugs in his ears and had a t-shirt on with the devil on it saying God's busy, I'm not.

There is a Facebook Fan Page if you search for Lacey Gaines you'll find it.

wow. Your poor niece. Doesn't sound like the safest place to be living. She must have really been struggling for financial independance. My heart breaks for her.

You say she had the grandma keep Connor because she "had a bad feeling" or something like that?

My hackles are up right now.

#1. You mentioned how Lacey always wanted to fight back...you couldn't be more right. I can remember her telling me that she would get something in on the babies dad when he would hit her. She said there was no way he would make her feel threatened and how thankful she was that the brother helped her. Therefore, if it were the maintenance man she DEFINATELY would of fought back and she would do what she had to so he wouldn't get away with it. I feel like someone is trying to throw you off so the attention is elsewhere.

#2. The way she was murdered was WAY TOO personal....they wanted to make damn sure she was dead and she suffered but still she didn't fight back at all. What has come out of the autopsy??? Could she have been drugged???

#3. She asked her grandma to keep the baby for a reason....did she make plans to go out or have someone over??? Whats gone on with looking at her phone records? I knew Lacey pretty well and she seldomly had sitters when she wasn't working and if she did it was for a reason like to get out or have company just to do something for a change cus she did work alot.

#4. Back to this maintenance man....from what I heard shortly after I found out what had happened to Lacey I heard that there was no sign whatsoever for a break in....so either they had a key or she knew n trusted the person. Is it a coincidence she was murdered the day she got a sitter. What I believe is that she made plans to do something whether it was go out or have someone over. She had a sitter and obviously wanted some privacy. She let them in cus she trusted them and they somehow got her? Was she tied up? If she wasn't tied up then she had to be drugged...there are many drugs that are hard to catch in a tox screen. If she wasn't any of those then it just don't make sense.

I hope and pray for justice for her all the time, she didn't deserve this at all but I do believe it was someone she knew and she trusted and possibly they were coming over to talk with her so she asked her grandma to keep her baby for the day. The phone records need to be looked further into and I almost bet either there was a text or a call made and whoever she may have talked to that day or the day before has got to know something. Much love to you cherry!

It's been over a year and the police have kept very closed mouthed. They have not returned calls to almost anyone and have turned down all offers of help, including John Douglas.

We did receive a strange anonymous letter in the summer and I forwarded it to Ton Dart Cook County Sheriff and I did get a call from a special States Atty, who has asked me not to use his name. He said it was an on going investigation and as soon as they feel they have enough evidence to prosecute they will.

Statement Analyst Peter Hyatt called and offered his services and was also turned away.

Wes Clark of LIES stated he feels as you do and Peter also suggested an outside polygraph be given as did John Douglas. To my knowledge none of this has been done.

The Police did tell AMW they were waiting for DNA over a year ago. A det also told me they had surveillance video.

There was also something I found out completely by accident.

Lacey' had asked me to make her resume in March. On the resume were references. My husband was one - a personal reference. Her boss supposedly was one. But when she was murdered a reporter asked me for a copy of the resume. I gave to him and he called the references. The boss said girls come and go but not much else. Later on I received information that the name was the owners and phone number was for another man, the manager. I was also told he had been allegedly paying Lacey's bills. There was a falling out between this mans girlfriend and Lacey. Lacey lost her job there. This same man is a soccer coach and I found numerous photos of Lacey attending a Chicago Fire fund raiser only available to members of the Assoc. This man also lives just down the street from Lacey's apt and drives a large white car.

I wondered if maybe the police have video of him coming and going.

The anon letter refers to the Apt's and the people who run it. Ironically there was a review on Yahoo about the apts which said Lacey was killed by a maintenance man.

I agree, in my unprofessional opinion the murder was an execution. No one tried to cover anything up. No forced entry, no defensive wounds. She was strangled and then her throat was slashed. I was told on the first responders report there was a small gash across her left clavicle as if the knife caught there. It was a 4" gash in her throat.

The letter also said they were concerned some off duty police officers may have allegedly had something to do with the crime.

The police have also turned down a free billboard and told family members do not add to the reward save your money.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I thank you for stopping and looking.

The police have also turned down a free billboard and told family members do not add to the reward save your money.

Sounds like they have their man but aren't giving up a name and are just looking to collect enough evidence to prosecute. Though, I don't think LE can say who can put up a billboard or not, or who can add to the reward fund or not. If they are looking for additional evidence to prosecute it can't hurt to have a billboard up and add to the reward fund. Unless what LE is awaiting is forensics that are still in the process of being tested and looked at by various experts. Look at the Mya Lyons case for example. LE utilized numerous blood spatter experts prior to making an arrest and that was a 2.5 year process.

jmo

Crime Wire
www.crimewiresite.com
Tuesday, February 1, 9pm ET
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/crimewire

Unsolved Murder of Lacey Gaines
Lacey Gaines was a beautiful young mother who was brutally attacked and murdered in Justice, IL on Dec. 7, 2009. However, justice has not come forth for Lacey, her murderer has not been arrested, and her son is left without his mother.

www.laceygaines.com

We will be discussing the murder of Lacey Gaines and will be joined by her Aunt, Cherry Simpson.

ChaCha it has been a year and most likely you are feeling that since no one has been arrested by now, they will never be. It isn't like that. It does take a lot of time sometimes. Crime labs are backed up, it can sometimes take a year or more to get evidence tested. Sometimes people know things and are reluctant to talk, but relationships break up and they may become more willing. Or perps who think they have gotten away with something may start to talk (brag). Other things happen to bring out info. So the moral is Don't Give Up.

Police don't call you back..... keep calling at least monthly. They may not call back, but it lets them know you are going to keep on them and that you aren't giving up. Continue with any 1 year memorial you may have planned. Continue to publicize Lacy's story as best you can.

When police says don't do something an important question is to ask "will it harm the investigation if I do it?" If it won't harm the investigation, then make your own decision. After the one year passes, you may want to make an appt with the investigator and ask for a status update. If you can't get an appt with him, then ask for an appt with his immediate superior. Depending on your level of frustration you could keep going up the ladder until you get someone to talk to you. Make sure that they know you don't want to interfere with their investigation and that you don't intend to take the law into your own hands, but that you want reassurance that Lacy hasn't been forgotten. That all you want is a status update.

When LE is close mouthed it can be easy to believe that they aren't doing anything. And it could be true. But it isn't always. They may have a suspect and not enough info to arrest. If so then they can't always talk about it. They may be doing something behind the scenes that they don't want to get out. They may be watching someone, hoping he will talk or trying to open a dialogue with someone close to him. Basically most of what LE does in an investigation is behind the scenes and they are very reluctant to talk about where they are in an investigation.

As far as LE saying don't do this or don't do that, there could be explanations for that. They could be wanting to avoid the pressure. Or they could be close to an arrest and don't want you to waste your money.

Thank you for verbalizing that so much better than I did mysteriew.

Crime Wire
www.crimewiresite.com
Tuesday, February 1, 9pm ET

Unsolved Murder of Lacey Gaines
Lacey Gaines was a beautiful young mother who was brutally attacked and murdered in Justice, IL on Dec. 7, 2009. However, justice has not come forth for Lacey, her murderer has not been arrested, and her son is left without his mother.

www.laceygaines.com

We will be discussing the murder of Lacey Gaines and will be joined by her Aunt, Cherry Simpson. Special Guest Anne Bremner

Be sure to keep up to date on featured cases and issues on our website:

http://crimewiresite.com

Join Susan Murphy Milano each Tuesday night at 9pm ET with Author and former police officer, Dennis Griffin and Private Investigator and Author, Vito Colucci, Jr. as we feature cases of unsolved murder, botched investigations, missing persons and crimes in the news.

To Listen Live:

Special Guest Anne Bremmer
<object height="28" width="335"><param value="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio_embed?data=YTo2OntzOjU6ImFwaUlkIjtzOjE6IjQiO3M6NjoiZmlsZUlkIjtpOjEzOTQzODc1O3M6NDoiY29kZSI7czoxMjoiMTM5NDM4NzUtMjM1IjtzOjY6InVzZXJJZCI7aTo4ODE4MTU7czoxMjoiZXh0ZXJuYWxDYWxsIjtpOjE7czo0OiJ0aW1lIjtpOjEyOTY2NjEyNTc7fQ==&autoplay=default" name="movie"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed wmode="transparent" height="28" width="335" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" src="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio_embed?data=YTo2OntzOjU6ImFwaUlkIjtzOjE6IjQiO3M6NjoiZmlsZUlkIjtpOjEzOTQzODc1O3M6NDoiY29kZSI7czoxMjoiMTM5NDM4NzUtMjM1IjtzOjY6InVzZXJJZCI7aTo4ODE4MTU7czoxMjoiZXh0ZXJuYWxDYWxsIjtpOjE7czo0OiJ0aW1lIjtpOjEyOTY2NjEyNTc7fQ==&autoplay=default"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/embed/DiPGCr67wjs

Look what Max did!!!

http://www.crimepays.tv/

--
Max Cannon
Founder SafeCITY Publishing
Publishers of "Local MugSHOTS"
www.safecitypublishing.com
www.facebook.com/localmugshots
1-866-690-MUGS (6847)
http://weirdcrime.blogspot.com/
http://www.rewardstv.net

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DiPGCr67wjs?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DiPGCr67wjs?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

On December 1, 2009 Lacey Gaines, from Justice, Illinois celebrated her 20th birthday but only 6 days later this young lady was found dead in her apartment. According to police there were no signs of force entry, no evidence of sexual assault and no evidence of robbery, yet her boyfriend found her in a pool of her own blood with an electrical cord wrapped around her neck. Her throat had a 4-inch gash across it. Police say that evidence found at the scene do suggest that Lacey Gaines could have known the person who took her life.

Who would want to kill this young girl full of life and that everything to live for? Lacey’s aunt, Cherry Simpson described her niece as a sweet polite girl that grew up in a lavish country home that had attended a private Lutheran Day school. She was one of a few selected students through an exchange program at the school that were allowed to travel to France to help teach students there. She returned to France the following year at the age of 15 which seems to be when she started to exhibit some rebellious traits. Simpson said her niece got pregnant in 2007 but ended up in an abusive relationship causing her to have to get an order of protection.

After the birth of her child she started seeing a new man that was Hispanic that spoke little English. She told her aunt that they were in love. In March 2009 her baby’s father began to question the paternity of her son and took a DNA test to make sure he was the father. Her Aunt said that during this time Lacey had moved to another apartment and when she didn’t hear from Lacey as often she had hoped it meant that things had finally started to look up for her.

Now here it is February 2011 and still no one has been charged for the murder of Lacey Gaines. Who has killed her? Have they gotten away with murder, or do they just think they have? Although they have not made it very clear as to who they have their main focus on, the police have stated that they are sure that Lacey’s child’s father has nothing to do with it.

The sad part about this case is that Lacey Gaines is just one of an ever increasing number of crimes that remain unsolved. I would not have heard about this case were it not for my good friend, author Denny Griffin. On Tuesday evening his CrimeWire radio program spotlighted the story. Within hours, the reward offered for information was doubled to $2000. While $2000 is not a huge amount of money, it does go to show that the internet can make a difference.

More information about the case can be found on crimewiresite.com. My personal view is that rather than collect the cash, the person or persons that have information should share it with Law Enforcement. Someone knows something. It is time to step up to the plate and help solve this murder. A family is grieving and angry, Lacey cannot be brought back, but she and her family deserve justice. If you have information, please share it. There are numerous ways that this can be done without it being made public.

Simon Barrett

Let Others Know About This Post

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheMidge