IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
If or when the manner of death is ruled as a suicide and that it was staged to look like an officer killed in the line of duty . . . maybe the LT's family will do the right thing and return some of the funds raised to reimburse the taxpayers for some of the costs of the manhunt and subsequent investigations.

Can you stop thinking about returning money for 1 second. Do you think his plan was to risk his life for 45 years to cash in on a fundraising scheme.

Btw. Did you donate to him for putting his life on the line for making sure that no other country will dare try to invade us. Do you think that he selfishly put his life on the line for 40 plus years so he could kill himself and raise funds for his family.

So stop worrying about money.
Thanks

I wonder how much of the LT's own time and money went into his work as a cop and as a community leader? I think the kids sacrificed a lot in their childhood's. I don't think the family owes the taxpayers anything. JMOJMO

Can you stop thinking about returning money for 1 second. Do you think his plan was to risk his life for 45 years to cash in in a fundraising scheme.

Thanks

That's a fair question, I suppose but I don't see how his mindset matters after the fact. That is, if his actions were to falsely report three suspects and to mask his suicide to make it look like he was killed in the line of duty. . . then that is all I need to question the appropriateness of having multiple fundraisers on his behalf.

It's not intended to be a statement about his mindset at the time prior to his death.

Of course, no one should be rewarded for faking a homicide situation. But as many have said here, someone who is about to kill themselves, is not in a rational frame of mind.

rsbm

I agree -- but one does not need to be in a 'rational frame of mind' to be held criminally culpable.

So are they really 'preying' on anyone by calling his death a LODD type death?

rsbm

I am very sympathetic with the high rate of suicide among LEOs and vets -- though it's not entirely clear to me if the rate is strictly related to stress on the job, or perhaps somewhat owing to the mental health of some of those who apply and are accepted for those jobs.

But that's not really the point of the matter here. It's not the LODD that people care about -- it's the (possible) dissimulation in presenting a suicide as a LODD homicide. Had he just shot and killed himself, this thread would have topped out at about 40 posts -- probably far less.

I wonder how much of the LT's own time and money went into his work as a cop and as a community leader? I think the kids sacrificed a lot in their childhood's. I don't think the family owes the taxpayers anything. JMOJMO

I agree -- the family doesn't owe the taxpayers anything. But he was paid for his work as a cop, so I don't see how that is relevant. And I don't know that he was a community leader (what does that term even mean? And does someone who repeatedly posts selfies of himself giving the finger qualify? Who knows.). But I definitely appreciate the time and effort he put forth as a volunteer.

But things like this aren't an economy or budget, anyhow. You don't earn credit by being a good person some of the time that justifies credits burned by being a bad person some of the rest of the time. I don't subscribe to the morality where if a person earns social credits through good deeds that they can burn social credits through evil actions.

(eta -- this was written with respect to the assumption that his death was a suicide staged as a homicide)

The funds are being raised to help the wife and children. They had no part in his planning or in the costly manhunt.

Three of his children are adults and the fourth is a teenager, iirc. The taxpayers didn't have any part in planning to stage a suicide as a homicide and spending hundreds of thousands of dollars investigating such when the neediest people in the state are without basic services because the state is 'broke'. These financial issues were well known to the public prior to Lt. CG's death. If this is determined to be a suicide that choice was made with that knowledge.

Note regarding choice, Suicide is a choice. Being killed in the line of duty isn't. For that reason, I can not put someone who chooses to take their life in the same place as I can someone who had no choice by killed in the line of duty.

Something that keeps bugging me about this case is the singularity of thought required for suicide. I would think that one would have to let much of what one held dear just fall away To be able to commit such an act I think I would just want to get it over with. The very idea of staging a fake homicide just wouldn't hold much importance once I decided to do it. Maybe joe was different. I just don't know.

Three of his children are adults and the fourth is a teenager, iirc. The taxpayers didn't have any part in planning to stage a suicide as a homicide and spending hundreds of thousands of dollars investigating such when the neediest people in the state are without basic services because the state is 'broke'. These financial issues were well known to the public prior to Lt. CG's death. If this is determined to be a suicide that choice was made with that knowledge.

Note regarding choice, Suicide is a choice. Being killed in the line of duty isn't. For that reason, I can not put someone who chooses to take their life in the same place as I can someone who had no choice by killed in the line of duty.

That is a heavy post.

Myself, I would want to be generous to the family of a LEO who killed him/herself.

But staging it as a homicide changes things altogether. Perhaps if there were different pension rules for suicide cases, this would not have happened. But my own opinion is that if someone wants to kill themselves, they're not going to be thinking about pension rules.

Something that keeps bugging me about this case is the singularity of thought required for suicide. I would think that one would have to let much of what one held dear just fall away To be able to commit such an act I think I would just want to get it over with. The very idea of staging a fake homicide just wouldn't hold much importance once I decided to do it. Maybe joe was different. I just don't know.

Good question - but I think it's possible that someone might spend a couple of minutes to make it seem like he was a hero, whether or not he was thinking about his family's income. I mean, why not? If you're going to do it anyhow, and if part of your personality is tied up in thinking that you are already a hero...why not?

IF he committed suicide, it was not well though out. IF he committed suicide, he was faced with something so very overwhelming. IF it was suicide, suicide didn't even cross his mind until hours before his death. Or even minutes. IF it was suicide, he had gotten some news, or come to a realization of things to come, within hours or minutes of his death. I think the mayor knows if he was suicidal or not within the last 24 hrs of his life. I think he left his house that morning not knowing that would be his last day on earth. IF it was suicide, something happened that morning to make him think there was no way out. IF it was suicide, he had some sort of meeting with somebody before or after he parked his car at the gate. This person has insight as to why he would be suicidal.

IF it was a suicide,,,
IMO, a persons last few hours on earth do not define his or hers lifetime achievements. Fund raise the **** out of this, IMO. Because when it's all said and done, there is still a wife and 4 kids that are left coping with a direction in life that they did not decide. They are the true victims here, regardless of any financial gain they are receiving. No matter the MOD to be determined, there will always be whispers behind their backs.

IMO, a persons last few hours on earth do not define his or hers lifetime achievements.

RSBM -

In general, I agree with you. But it really does depend on what one does in those last few hours, right?

Like, if someone goes and kills a bunch of people in their last few hours, should we remember him/her as a hero?

If someone robs a bank for hundreds of thousands of dollars, in their last few hours, do we think of him or her as a hero?

Likewise, if someone implicates three other people in his or her death, before shooting him or herself, do we think of him or her as a hero?

As it has been said before, by much smarter people than me, God (or the devil) is in the details.

That is a heavy post.

Myself, I would want to be generous to the family of a LEO who killed him/herself.

But staging it as a homicide changes things altogether. Perhaps if there were different pension rules for suicide cases, this would not have happened. But my own opinion is that if someone wants to kill themselves, they're not going to be thinking about pension rules.

I think it's possible to have empathy for the family and still be angry or upset about the choice to present a suicide as a homicide. I honestly even feel sorry for his leo family. The effort and emotions those resonders and searchers felt only to possibly later lesrn they were duped and no one was ever in any danger has to be more than grieving the loss of a friend or peer that took their life.

I also think if any potential fatal or debilitating illness was a factor we would have learned that by now. An illness, imo, would be easier for the public to forgive than something non illness related that he didn't want exposed.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member