IL IL - Mary Ann Switalski, 16, Chicago, 15 July 1963

Back in 1978, I did this exact thing. But I was selling the magazines in Kentucky and Florida. My cousin lived in Florida on Marco Island but I didn't know where he lived, just knew it was on Marco Island. When I went up to the door, a man opened the door and he said why are you here? I didn't know who he was and questioned me asking where my parents was and I said who are you? He said your Grandmother's cousin! Than he said who are these kids? I said I'm selling magazines and kept on saying you are?? and he said no your not and pulled me in the doorway and told the kids to get lost. I was scared out of my mind because I didn't know if I should trust him or not. Right away he said I'm going to call your folks and from that moment on I knew he was my cousin. I got to talk to my mother and then my sister and everyone in the house was looking for me. They called the local police and I said I'm right here in Florida. My cousin and his wife took me home and visited with my family and Grandma for a few weeks before leaving back to Florida. About 2 months later a man calls my parents home asking for me. My mother answered the telephone because I was at school. And told her that he is traveling to county in which I lived in and was right down the street as she said he was and wants to see me. My mother said who are you looking for again? And my Daughter is in school and is a minor, the man said so. He said to my mother that I had met her when she was here. My father who was on his business telephone called the police and traced the call minutes from my parents home. They arrested the old fart. He was 67 at the time of his arrest and he was a known sex offender out of Florida. I sure home Mary is found alive..

Back in 1978, I did this exact thing. But I was selling the magazines in Kentucky and Florida. My cousin lived in Florida on Marco Island but I didn't know where he lived, just knew it was on Marco Island. When I went up to the door, a man opened the door and he said why are you here? I didn't know who he was and questioned me asking where my parents was and I said who are you? He said your Grandmother's cousin! Than he said who are these kids? I said I'm selling magazines and kept on saying you are?? and he said no your not and pulled me in the doorway and told the kids to get lost. I was scared out of my mind because I didn't know if I should trust him or not. Right away he said I'm going to call your folks and from that moment on I knew he was my cousin. I got to talk to my mother and then my sister and everyone in the house was looking for me. They called the local police and I said I'm right here in Florida. My cousin and his wife took me home and visited with my family and Grandma for a few weeks before leaving back to Florida. About 2 months later a man calls my parents home asking for me. My mother answered the telephone because I was at school. And told her that he is traveling to county in which I lived in and was right down the street as she said he was and wants to see me. My mother said who are you looking for again? And my Daughter is in school and is a minor, the man said so. He said to my mother that I had met her when she was here. My father who was on his business telephone called the police and traced the call minutes from my parents home. They arrested the old fart. He was 67 at the time of his arrest and he was a known sex offender out of Florida. I sure home Mary is found alive..

Based on your cousin's reaction, I wonder if this was a common way of kidnapping kids back then. Door-to-door sales were pretty common then, not so much today, so it would make sense if it was used as a ruse for nefarious activities. Did you get that impression as well? If you don't mind me asking, how old were you at the time and how did you get recruited? You don't have to answer that if you're not comfortable.

Bumping for Maryann. Thinking of her because last Sunday's episode of Bob's Burgers featured a subplot of the parents trying to figure out the legitimacy of a teenage girl's door-to-door magazine sales. Yes, it's supposed to be a comedy, a cartoon, nothing more, but door-to-door magazine sales were once a serious issue. I hope we can start looking into Maryann's case more deeply.

I saw Mary Ann's page on the Charley Project and I think she may be related to my husband who shares her surname. He doesn't remember any stories about a long lost cousin going missing but agrees that Mary Ann's age progression looks like she could be related to his aunt. I don't want to ask my father in law though so I'm trying to find Mary Ann on Ancestry.com and having trouble (I'm new over there). Does anyone know the names of her parents and sister?

TIA!

Her mother was Matilda (Mathilda), Dad was Eugene and they lived in the 6200 block of Cornelia Ave.

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/...le/missing-girls-family-clings-to-a-slim-hope

I haven't had a chance to look on ancestry yet, but will let y'all know if I find anything!

MrsTigglesworth,
Thank you so much for sharing that article. I can't believe Mary Ann up and left her family after the carnival. I'm speechless.... still...

MrsTigglesworth,
Thank you so much for sharing that article. I can't believe Mary Ann up and left her family after the carnival. I'm speechless.... still...

There was another article archived on the site that mentions an arrest of (A.S.) on a robbery charge in South Shore. That man was only 19 at the time and investigators connected him to the magazine couple who had hired Mary Ann. Unfortunately, he bolted on his bail and I don't think was ever found again to question. Maybe (just a thought), he was a charming sort that helped lure girls to the couple who ran it?? Her parents could have possibly been against her dating? I have no idea, just wondering what would make her want to leave as well...

On another note, this seems to be the only teen female UID found in the Chicago area. No time limit of how long she was there and not that far from where her letter was posted from. Somewhere in reading about the "Spring Doe", I believe it was said that she had great teeth and no cavities. I wonder if Mary Ann was known to have healthy teeth...they sure do look nice :)

I have just now found Mary Ann's case, so bear with me if I mess up any of the details, it is till all soaking in. I found her sister, and believe she is still around, hopefully we can help her and the Chicago investigator gain some closure of what happened to Mary Ann...

Where was it confirmed AS had a definite tie to the couple who are believed to have employed Mary Ann? I thought it was speculation, but not confirmed it was the same magazine company.

Where was it confirmed AS had a definite tie to the couple who are believed to have employed Mary Ann? I thought it was speculation, but not confirmed it was the same magazine company.

This article says:
A retired Chicago policewoman who had been assigned to the Switalski case connected him with a Florida couple who had been in Chicago when Mary Ann disappeared. The couple had once told FBI agents that Mary Ann had worked for them in a door to door magazine peddling operation.

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1971/07/25/page/273/article/8-years-of-anguish-stalk-parents

I am not sure if that connection she found was through the business or personal, though. ...or how it was made.. It was 6 years later when the man was arrested.

I thought I would take a look at Allan J Silver of New York. It is possible that this was a false identity but, if not, I fear he is now dead. The best match (by a long way) for this gentleman if he gave his real name is someone who was born on 13 January 1943, and had an SSN issued in New York between 1958-60. Unfortunately this gentleman seems to have died in Cheltenham, Maryland in 2012. This information is all on Ancestry and the death is clearly the same man as the birth date on the death record is spot on. There is also a record of an Alan J Silver at the University at Albany in 1965. This may be the same person (although this is speculative) as it would fit with the scenario of a 19 year old student two years earlier in 1963 doing door to door.

Of course the above may be a red herring and relate to an unconnected Allan Silver. But given the ease of accessing this information it seems surprising if it was not followed up by LE and/or family before he died; especially as the person of interest must have been wanted for skipping bail in Chicago. Perhaps any family remaining in Maryland know whether the facts fit their relative?

Shortly after HS graduation in 1964, my mother answered a job ad in the newspaper to sell magazine subscriptions because it promised the job seeker travel. That's how she met my father, who was from MD. He'd placed the ad. I don't know where the sales route took them, but I do know that my sister was born in Chicago in 1965, and weeks later, they were in Florida. Neither of my parents have or had family in either place. They headed back to New England shortly there after. My mom was certain no one ever got their magazines. By 1970, they were divorced, and he was back in MD for good. Both of my parents are now deceased, so I am not able to ask them if anything about Mary Ann's case sounds familiar, and I doubt his sisters would remember his whereabouts prior to his meeting my mom.

Research into the "Oregon Annie Doe" Case (NamUs #10929) led me to the case of missing person Mary Ann Switalski. Could Mary Ann be a possible match for Annie Doe?

Annie Doe's Circumstances: On August 19, 1971 the skeletal remains of a white female were discovered in a wooded area directly off of the Redwood Highway in Josephine County, near the Oregon-California border. Annie Doe's NamUs Profile states that her remains were "Near complete or complete skeleton" and cause of death unknown.
The following items were found with Annie Doe's remains: 38 cents in change, oldest coin being from 1970; a map of Northern California recreational sites; Checkered pink and beige waist length coat with belt; tan/beige long sleeved turltleneck shirt with zipper in back; white "LOVABLE" brand bra, size 34B; blue denim "WRANGLER" brand jeans, size13-14 misses slim; purple, blue and white striped underwear; PRIMSTYLE" brand brown shoes with square toes medium height heavy heels with straps and gold buckles. Size 8 1/2. Ring with mother-of-pearl stone and braided silver band (the letters "AL" were scratched into the face of the white stone); regular "friendship"band with diagonal decorative chevron-like scoring along the band, silver, size 6 1/2 bearing a stamp "M-H" (two rings total).

Mary Ann is not listed in Annie Doe's NamUs Exclusion List. Mary Ann went missing from Chicago in July 1963 at age 16 BUT her parents reported that she left with a couple to sell door-to-door magazine subscriptions throughout California. Mary Ann could have been alive for years prior to 1971 which would explain the 1970 coin and California map found with Annie Doe.

Similarities between Mary Ann and Annie Doe:

• Mary Ann was last seen with long strawberry blonde hair (NamUs Profile). Doe's hair described as long and reddish with highlights.
  • Mary Ann disappeared age 16 years. Doe estimated to be 14-25 years at time of death.
  • What is most striking is visual comparison of Mary Ann's picture with the digital NCMEC digital composite and the 2016 color forensic sketch by C. Koppelman showing similarities between Mary Ann and Doe's teeth.
  • Mary Ann was 5'2" tall and Doe estimated 5'4" both white females.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Circumstances regarding Mary Ann Switalski's disappearance:

• The Chicago Tribune article dated 07/07/1969 detailed Mary Ann's link to the magazine sales group and possibly Allan J Silver of anew York who was 25 years old at the time of the article and out on bond for a $3000 robbery charge. http://archives.chicagotribune.com/...le/missing-girls-family-clings-to-a-slim-hope
  • NamUs Profile for Mary Ann states: Mary Ann attended a carnival at St. Priscilla's Catholic Church on July 15, 1963. Two days after her disappearance her parents received a short letter postmarked from Oak Park, IL. In the letter, Mary Ann stated that she was fine and that she was going to earn some money to take care of them. No further contact was ever made. It is believed that Mary Ann may have joined a magazine door-to-door sales group that was headed to California. The husband and wife owners of the sales organization gave conflicting statements. The wife stated that Mary Ann left with the sales group and the husband stated that Mary Ann never left Chicago.

LINKS:
* Annie Doe's NamUs: https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/10929
* Annie's Profile on Doe Network: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/404ufor.html
* LE working on Annie Doe's case: http://klcc.org/post/who-oregons-annie-doe
* Mary Ann's NamUs: https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/4642/0/
* 1969 Article about Mary Ann's disappearance: http://archives.chicagotribune.com/...le/missing-girls-family-clings-to-a-slim-hope
* 1971 Article: http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1971/07/25/page/273/article/8-years-of-anguish-stalk-parents/
* Mary Ann Doe Network: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2277dfil.html
* Mary Ann Charlie Project: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/switalski_mary.html

What are your thoughts on this? MOO......

Both Mary and Annie Doe have DNA in CODIS, per NamUS, so they would have automatically been compared and either matched or ruled out by now. Automatic rule outs don't appear on the list, only manual comparisons do. Having said that, if someone feels strongly about a possibility, I encourage them to submit the potential match to NamUs anyway.

bumping

Mary Ann Switalski

NCMC1180028c1.jpg

Missing Since - Jul 15, 1963

Missing From - Chicago, IL

DOB - Sep 14, 1946

Age Now - 72

Sex - Female

Race - White

Hair Color - Blonde

Eye Color - Hazel

Height - 5'2"

Weight - 102 lbs

Age Progressed

NCMC1180028e1.jpg

Mary Ann's photo is shown age-progressed to 69 years. She was last seen on July 15, 1963.

Have you seen this child? MARY ANN SWITALSKI

NamUs #MP4642

Circumstances of Disappearance:

Mary Ann attended a carnival at St. Priscilla's Catholic Church on July 15, 1963. Two days after her disappearance her parents received a short letter postmarked from Oak Park, IL. In the letter, Mary Ann stated that she was fine and that she was going to earn some money to take care of them. No further contact was ever made. It is believed that Mary Ann may have joined a magazine door-to-door sales group that was headed to California. The husband and wife owners of the sales organization gave conflicting statements. The wife stated that Mary Ann left with the sales group and the husband stated that Mary Ann never left Chicago.

Clothing - Black sleeveless blouse, white shorts

Footwear - straw sandals

Missing Person Case

bbm

Mary Ann’s case is so unsettling - as most of them are. The specifics remind me a lot of Elizabeth Ellen Palmer’s disappearance. These door-to-door magazine sales groups were described by many as “cults”. I tried finding something new to post, but there isn’t much to be found. A couple of yearbook photos and a handful of newspaper articles. :(

BE489123-3990-4D7F-8DFB-ED39F3B2B4E4.jpeg F5336AA6-3AFD-49E8-820B-C57D2BBF996B.jpeg BCD0C6E9-CEF6-46C8-BF1A-269A05F55298.jpeg
(1)1961 Notre Dame Girls High School-Chicago, IL (2)1962 NDGHS (3) July 7, 1969 Chicago Tribune

Des Moines Tribune (Iowa) July 16, 1971
Grief for Breakfast, Dinner and Supper

Kingsport Times (Tennessee) July 22, 1971
8 Years Later Mother Still Hopes for Some Word

(snip) “Three days after she disappeared, the letter came, postmarked Oak Park, Ill.:

I’m just fine. Please don’t worry. I am alright. I can’t tell you where I am or what I’m doing because you would probably interfere.”

“The letter looked like her handwriting,” her mother said, “but I can’t be positive.” (snip) Mrs. Switalski still has Mary Ann’s letter, which didn’t sound like Mary Ann at all.

I can tell you I’m experiencing a strange but educational experience. I may never see you or any of my friends again.”

Bumping for Mary Ann
She's been missing for 55 years now.
Here is her updated Charley Project page.
Mary Ann Ruth Switalski – The Charley Project

Mary Ann Ruth Switalski
  • switalski_mary.jpg
  • mary_ann_ruth_switalski_2.jpg
  • mary_ann_ruth_switalski_3.jpg
Mary Ann, circa 1963; Age-progression to age 69 (circa 2015)

• Missing Since07/15/1963
  • Missing FromChicago, Illinois
  • ClassificationEndangered Runaway
  • SexFemale
  • RaceWhite
  • Date of Birth09/14/1946 (73)
  • Age16 years old
  • Height and Weight5'2, 102 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionA black sleeveless blouse, white shorts and straw sandals.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian female. Blonde hair, hazel eyes.
Details of Disappearance
Mary Ann was last seen in Chicago, Illinois at 10:15 p.m. on July 15, 1963. She attended a carnival with friends at St. Priscilla's Catholic Church that evening. Her family never saw her again.

Her parents received a letter from her two days after her disappearance, however; Mary Ann wrote that she was fine and would be sending them some money soon. She said she was "experiencing a strange but educational experience."

She wouldn't tell where she was because she didn't want anyone to "interfere," and she added she might never see her parents or friends again, but she promised to call them. The letter was postmarked Oak Park, Illinois, a suburb of Chicago, where Mary Ann had often gone shopping with her family.

Mary Ann never got in touch with her family again. Her parents didn't know why she ran away and weren't aware of any problems in her life. She was a good student who had just completed her junior year at Notre Dame High School, and she had put a deposit down for her senior yearbook and class ring. She had a job at a neighborhood store and also earned money babysitting. She lived with her parents and younger sister in the 6200 block of west Cornelia Avenue.

It has been established that, following her disappearance, Mary Ann joined an organization that sold magazines door-to-door. It was en route to California at the time. When questioned, the couple who ran the group admitted they had hired her, but gave conflicting statements as to what happened afterward that. The wife said Mary Ann had left the group sometime before; the husband claimed she had never left Chicago at all.

Mary Ann's disappearance remains unsolved. There's been no indication of her whereabouts since 1963.
Investigating Agency
Source Information
Updated 6 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated July 31, 2016; age-progression updated.

Mary Ann Ruth Switalski – The Charley Project

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back