IL - Olamide Adeyooye, 21, Normal, 13 Oct 2005

hndinglove said:
now i just read that the comforter was found in the laundromat over the weekend? bizarre.

links here:

http://www.pioneerlocal.com/cgi-bin/ppo-story/localnews/current/wp/10-19-05-717864.html

http://www.westerncourier.com/news/2005/10/19/News/Student.From.Isu.Missing-1025402.shtml
(reg'd required on last one)
Now this is getting stranger by the minute. If the comforter was found at the laundromat, does anyone know the last time Ollie was there (prior to her disappearance)? Is it possible she accidentally left it there when she last did her laundry?

If she DID leave that evening to go wash the comforter, why leave food in the microwave, leave the t.v. on, and leave her cell phone behind? This just doesn't feel right.

And now her family seems to be of the opinion that she is being held captive. Either that is the wishful thinking of a family that doesn't want to believe she is dead, or the family knows something that they aren't saying. I wonder if this goes back to the rather cryptic messages on her friend's blog, something about not believing some of the things being said about Ollie? That statement seemed odd at the time, and seems even odder now.

As to whether she has a wealthy family, I don't know. I do know that she had a job in addition to attending college, so I would tend to think there wasn't a great deal of wealth there. But who knows? Maybe she wanted to earn her own money, separate from her family's money.

I hope her family is right, and that someone has her and she will eventually be freed. But there are just a lot of things that don't add up.

What if earlier she had been doing laundry? Then she rents the videos, goes home, starts the vcr, puts something into eat and put away her laundry and realizes she forgot the comforter. She leaves to go back and get it and??????????????? :( ..........That could account for why everything was left on, she thought she'd be right back.

Somethings up though, IMHO.

Just a thought
fran

fran said:
What if earlier she had been doing laundry? Then she rents the videos, goes home, starts the vcr, puts something into eat and put away her laundry and realizes she forgot the comforter. She leaves to go back and get it and??????????????? :( ..........That could account for why everything was left on, she thought she'd be right back.

Somethings up though, IMHO.

Just a thought
fran
That seems feasible, if she had done her laundry earlier that day. She may have wanted to retrieve it before anyone else took it. I wonder if the laundromat has an attendant, someone Ollie might have called to see if the comforter was still there?

I still think that if she were going to the laundromat in an unsafe part of town, she would have taken her cell phone with her in case she needed to call for help. Even if she just planned to run in, get the comforter, and run back to her car.

I can't recall how far the laundromat is from her apartment, I know someone posted that information so I need to look for it. Anyway, it seems like it was not all that close. Any number of things could have gone wrong - car trouble, a flat tire, an accident - that would have caused Ollie to get out of her car, possibly in an unsafe neighborhood, without having a cell phone to call for help. Maybe someone offered her a ride, someone who didn't seem threatening to her.

There are so many "ifs" when something like this happens.:(

You know, thinking about her ethnic descent, there has been much written lately in the blogsphere and on traditional journalistic medium, on the Nigerian 419 Scam. See here for one such report: http://www.b2g4.com/boards/board.cgi?action=read&id=1126853072&user=akerenx

If her parents were being threatened and she was being held hostage for this reason (419 scam), then it would stand to reason that they would not want publicity, maybe the kidnappers are threatening them to bring the spotlights down....

sondrad said:
You know, thinking about her ethnic descent, there has been much written lately in the blogsphere and on traditional journalistic medium, on the Nigerian 419 Scam. See here for one such report: http://www.b2g4.com/boards/board.cgi?action=read&id=1126853072&user=akerenx

If her parents were being threatened and she was being held hostage for this reason (419 scam), then it would stand to reason that they would not want publicity, maybe the kidnappers are threatening them to bring the spotlights down....
I don't think that she is involved in the Nigerian 419 scam. Those people in the link that you posted were victims who travelled to another country to meet with their "business partners" in the scam.

Search for missing ISU student now
considered a criminal investigation

October 19, 2005
Pantagraph staff

NORMAL — A residential area three blocks from the Normal apartment of Olamide Adeyooye was cordoned off around 11:30 a.m. today by the Normal Police Department, which has been investigating the Illinois State University student’s disappearance since last week.

Earlier this morning, an extended foot search, utilizing members from the McLean County Emergency Services Disaster Agency Search and Rescue Team, located personal items belonging to Adeyooye near her apartment.

Based on information and evidence obtained, the NPD now considers the case a criminal investigation.

State Police and the FBI also are involved in the case, the NPD stated in a press release, adding that police canine and aircraft are being used in the search.

The department also said it is meeting regularly with Adeyooye’s family and will continue to provide them with as much information as possible.

The department also said it has received numerous tips from the public and appreciated that assistance.

Anyone with information about Adeyooye’s whereabouts or the location of her Green 1996 Toyota Corollais is asked to notify the Normal Police Department immediately with any information.

http://www.pantagraph.com/news/update10191.html

fourboys said:
Search for missing ISU student now
considered a criminal investigation

October 19, 2005
Pantagraph staff

NORMAL — A residential area three blocks from the Normal apartment of Olamide Adeyooye was cordoned off around 11:30 a.m. today by the Normal Police Department, which has been investigating the Illinois State University student’s disappearance since last week.

Earlier this morning, an extended foot search, utilizing members from the McLean County Emergency Services Disaster Agency Search and Rescue Team, located personal items belonging to Adeyooye near her apartment.

Based on information and evidence obtained, the NPD now considers the case a criminal investigation.

State Police and the FBI also are involved in the case, the NPD stated in a press release, adding that police canine and aircraft are being used in the search.

The department also said it is meeting regularly with Adeyooye’s family and will continue to provide them with as much information as possible.

The department also said it has received numerous tips from the public and appreciated that assistance.

Anyone with information about Adeyooye’s whereabouts or the location of her Green 1996 Toyota Corollais is asked to notify the Normal Police Department immediately with any information.

http://www.pantagraph.com/news/update10191.html
Isn't the video store about three blocks from her apartment? I think I remember reading that either on an earlier post, or on a blog. Is the video store in a shopping area with other retail stores, such as a grocery store or gas station? I'm wondering if Ollie remembered something she forgot to get, either at a grocery store or a convenience store, and dashed out of the apartment with the intent of being gone a very short time. That's why she left the t.v. on, and food in the microwave. And that's why she didn't bother with the cell phone, since she was going only a short distance for a short period of time.

Obviously LE has something to make them think that area is of importance. Does anyone know what personal items were found? Her missing comforter? Her purse? Her keys? I don't recall anything else being missing.

Does anyone know why the FBI is involved in this invesigation?

Since canines and aircraft are being used, it sounds like LE has a pretty good idea of what they are searching for in this small three block area.

sondrad said:

this is possible..not sure about 419 scam..but seems like a possible kidnapping

kudos to her friends who have done a great job bringing the story forward.....does't sound so good..but hoping for the best

what a beautiful, talented young women...

Why does LE not take these things seriously from the start :furious:

Foul play suspected in disappearance of ISU student

Police suspect foul play in the disappearance of a 21-year-old Illinois State University student who was last seen Thursday night.

Police in Normal issued a statement today that said a search turned up personal items belonging to Olamide Adeyooye (oh-lah-MAH'-day ah-dah-OH'-yay) near her off-campus apartment.

Police say they've launched a criminal investigation based on that evidence and other information.

Police didn't immediately return a call seeking more information.

http://www.wqad.com/Global/story.asp?S=4000711&nav=1sW7

Reactions: d4j
petra said:
kudos to her friends who have done a great job bringing the story forward.....does't sound so good..but hoping for the best

what a beautiful, talented young women...

Why does LE not take these things seriously from the start :furious:
I believe it's because LE handles a lot of cases of "missing" college students, and knows from experience that foul play is not involved in the majority of those cases. College kids may disappear to get away from the stress of school, or because a relationship has gone bad, or because they got terrible grades and don't want to face the parents, or any number of non-lethal reasons. If LE treated every single case of a missing college student as if foul play were involved, they would be wasting a lot of taxpayers' dollars.

But in this case, as in the Taylor Behl case, it does seem to take LE quite awhile to take these cases seriously. If someone isn't heard from in a couple of days, and it is totally out of character for them to drop out of sight, I feel LE needs to look more closely at the matter, instead of waiting until they get some kind of proof of foul play.

Marilynilpa said:
I believe it's because LE handles a lot of cases of "missing" college students, and knows from experience that foul play is not involved in the majority of those cases. College kids may disappear to get away from the stress of school, or because a relationship has gone bad, or because they got terrible grades and don't want to face the parents, or any number of non-lethal reasons. If LE treated every single case of a missing college student as if foul play were involved, they would be wasting a lot of taxpayers' dollars.

But in this case, as in the Taylor Behl case, it does seem to take LE quite awhile to take these cases seriously. If someone isn't heard from in a couple of days, and it is totally out of character for them to drop out of sight, I feel LE needs to look more closely at the matter, instead of waiting until they get some kind of proof of foul play.
I agree. I for one don't mind the police spending my hard earned tax dollars on such a worthy cause. I would rather that all disappearances are treated as foul play until the missing person is found. If they want to enact laws against false disappearance to discourage those I also don't mind that.

docwho3 said:
I agree. I for one don't mind the police spending my hard earned tax dollars on such a worthy cause. I would rather that all disappearances are treated as foul play until the missing person is found. If they want to enact laws against false disappearance to discourage those I also don't mind that.
agreed...especially when it is so out of character....what a tragedy. prayers for family and friends.

I wonder what personal items LE found?.............

docwho3 said:
I think emposing a hefty fine against bogus "disappearances" would be a great idea. And I think all disappearances should be treated as foul play, unless the individual involved has a documented history of disappearing. In a case like this one, the young woman involved is a good student with a loving family and close friends, who swear that it would be totally out of character for her to disappear like that.

Although I hope for a happy ending in this case, I have a bad feeling about this one.

According to the local news, the passenger side seat of Olamide's car is permanently reclined, and a rosary is hanging from the rear view mirror. That should make it easier to identify.

A vigil that was set for tonight has been moved to tomorrow night and will be at the ISU quad.

They did not report any other new info, although they did interview her friend Samantha.

Does anyone else find it disturbing that these girls had so much personal information listed on their myspace blogs? Olamide has pictures posted, where she works, where she goes to school, where she went to high school, etc. She even stated, "I am working a Ruby Tuesday and I am loving it so far, come visit me so I can serve you, maybe." I hope that LE checks her computer to see if she was getting any odd emails.

Another thing that concerns me is that her friend said that she had yelled at Olamide about not having locked the door. Olamide was in the shower and was still in the shower when the friend left (I think - correct me if I am wrong). Apartment walls are thin, is it possible that someone heard that and realized that Olamide would be an easy target?

Prayers for Olamide and her family. I sure hope that she is found safe and sound.

I emailed a couple more TV stations that had not been covering the story to see if they would consider doing so & I already got one reply just now from WAND TV.
http://www.wandtv.com/

We will be covering her story today in our
Newscenter 17 at 5, 6, & 10 shows.
I will also try to get it posted to our website
later this evening.
Jaclynn Boley
Producer,
Newscenter 17 5 & 6
I hope increased coverage will result in more info coming forth to help in her case.

Police and dogs have been searching the area about 300 yards from Olamide's apartment. They are not saying what they found. Neighbours say that police have been at the apartment ever since Monday - even at night.

Candlelight vigil at 8:30 tomorrow night at the ISU quad.

Campus police reminding students of safety tips. Always lock doors, broomhandle in sliding glass door, pre-program emergency numbers into phone, never accept a ride with a stranger, etc.

That is it for now. I hope that she is alright.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhatHappenedToJAB
Back