IL IL - Wheaton, Hisp/NtvMale UP8492, 30-55, 'Little Nicky' sweatshirt, Apr'10

bump ..

I have not seen an iota of additional news on this case.
Not even a gender being released. I wonder if they figured that out yet. Three months. I hope so. Question is will they release it?

I did let DuPage know of NamUs. Ya think they'd use it. Nah, this is DuPage County, they solve everything themself without any one else's help or the help of other jurisdictions. :banghead:

JMO

bump ..

I have not seen an iota of additional news on this case.
Not even a gender being released. I wonder if they figured that out yet. Three months. I hope so. Question is will they release it?

I did let DuPage know of NamUs. Ya think they'd use it. Nah, this is DuPage County, they solve everything themself without any one else's help or the help of other jurisdictions. :banghead:

JMO

I'm such a newbie around here, but why wouldn't they want to release info?

I'm such a newbie around here, but why wouldn't they want to release info?

It is not that they would not want to release it. IMO, they just haven't taken the time. I have a few cases I am following in DuPage so will try to get a call into them either this week or next. Maybe next as I will have a little more free time next week.

My apologies for my vent yesterday.

I just got off the phone with Mark Edwalds, with DuPage County Sheriff's office and voiced my frustration - politely - that DuPage was not utilizing NamUs. I gave him the info for the site and he agreed it would be a wonderful site for DuPage to utilize.

He was kind enough to clarify and ask if the two UID cases in DuPage were or were not listed at NamUs. I told him they were not, so he will be suggest it be done to those responsible for that area of investigations.

Hopefully we will see this case on NamUs soon.

My apologies for my vent yesterday.

I just got off the phone with Mark Edwalds, with DuPage County Sheriff's office and voiced my frustration - politely - that DuPage was not utilizing NamUs. I gave him the info for the site and he agreed it would be a wonderful site for DuPage to utilize.

He was kind enough to clarify and ask if the two UID cases in DuPage were or were not listed at NamUs. I told him they were not, so he will be suggest it be done to those responsible for that area of investigations.

Hopefully we will see this case on NamUs soon.

That's awesome Cubby! If it doesn't end up helping this UID case, maybe someday it will with another.

Herrick Lake John Doe is finally in NamUs!

https://identifyus.org/cases/8492

https://identifyus.org/cases/full_report/8492

The skeleton- partial skeletal remains according to the case report- was found in proximity to clothing and shoes.

some other snippets from the case report:

The two front upper incisors were lost before death. Multiple bony extoses (bulges) were present on the posterior maxilla. These are benign and in life would have made the gum tissue look "lumpy."

Probable year of death: 2007 to 2009
Estimated postmortem interval 2 Years

Clothing with body: GREY SWEATCHIRT WITH "LITTLE NICKY" LOGO ON IT. BLACK SHIRT, BLACK SWEATPANTS, WHITE SOCK, POSSIBLE ELASTIC BAND OF UNDERWEAR.
Footwear: WHITE ATHLETIC SHOES.

I can't believe the DuPage County Sheriff was not using NAMUS. I wonder how many other agencies do not know about it or are 'too busy' to be involved with this agency. It really blows my mind.

I can't believe the DuPage County Sheriff was not using NAMUS. I wonder how many other agencies do not know about it or are 'too busy' to be involved with this agency. It really blows my mind.

There are currently 39 UID's for IL listed in DoeNetwork, and 22 in NamUs. Clearly a gap. I'm just ecstatic DuPage IS finally using NamUs. I hope it leads to some other counties in IL following....

On another note, I will be speaking with the DuPage Coroner towards the later part of the month. I'm hoping he might be able to provide us a little more info on this John Doe.

One of the questions I have is regarding the post mortem interval of 2 years. We determined early on the Little Nikky movie was filmed in 2000 - and it is possible the sweatshirt was purchased at a resale shop or was donated to this UID.

I'm also a bit perplexed on how clothing could be found but the remains within the clothing were not found. I don't know what info he would be able to provide regarding the condition the clothing was found but will ask.
I know with partial remains an estimated ht is impossible but am wondering if clothing sizes are available as well as shoe size, that might give us an idea of an estimated range.

I'm also going to ask if a sketch or clay recon might be in the works. And if a list of rule outs exists.

I still tend to think possible homeless person due to the proximity of the church across the street from the entrance to the forest preserve on Butterfield Rd. IIRC, I did a later search and that church (forget the name of the church off the top of my head) IS a PADS location. Which means if no beds were available or the person was turned away due to being under the influence they might have taken refuge in the forest preserve.

There are currently 39 UID's for IL listed in DoeNetwork, and 22 in NamUs. Clearly a gap. I'm just ecstatic DuPage IS finally using NamUs. I hope it leads to some other counties in IL following....

On another note, I will be speaking with the DuPage Coroner towards the later part of the month. I'm hoping he might be able to provide us a little more info on this John Doe.

One of the questions I have is regarding the post mortem interval of 2 years. We determined early on the Little Nikky movie was filmed in 2000 - and it is possible the sweatshirt was purchased at a resale shop or was donated to this UID.

I'm also a bit perplexed on how clothing could be found but the remains within
the clothing were not found. I don't know what info he would be able to provide regarding the condition the clothing was found but will ask.
I know with partial remains an estimated ht is impossible but am wondering if clothing sizes are available as well as shoe size, that might give us an idea of an estimated range.

I'm also going to ask if a sketch or clay recon might be in the works. And if a list of rule outs exists.

I still tend to think possible homeless person due to the proximity of the church across the street from the entrance to the forest preserve on Butterfield Rd. IIRC, I did a later search and that church (forget the name of the church off the top of my head) IS a PADS location. Which means if no beds were available or the person was turned away due to being under the influence they might have taken refuge in the forest preserve.

This makes perfect sense. They should at least publicize the shoe size, because the sweat pants may come in only small, medium and large. Although, it will still give an approx. size of the UID.

Lubbin's disappearance is listed as "missing"--not "endangered missing," which suggests he left on his own will, but hasn't been heard from in a long while and the family became concerned. This also suggests he may have been alive in 2006, so chances are he changed his clothes. Also, there is no mention of a vehicle listed in his disappearance, which may mean he depended on public transportation or walked, and perhaps, accepted rides from friends or strangers. In other words, he could have stayed in the area after he was last seen alive.

The scar on his upper lip looks quite significant, when I zoomed in to examine. What ever caused that injury may have taken out several of his incisors too. Dale Lubbins looks like a good match to me, unless additional info comes forward to point away from him as a possibility.

Lubbins is of a smaller stature. The UID was said to have been wearing an XL sweatshirt in early MSM reports. Anyone can wear an XL sweatshirt. It may help to know a pant and shoe size.

I've been emailing with the DuPage Cty coroner but we haven't yet had a chance to speak by phone. He let me know he'd be out of the office until after the 22nd so I will contact him then. It will give me an opportunity to not only ask some of the questions I presented earlier but also let him know of some of the 'misses' we've found through NamUs, including the match that Snuf' recently found out of NY.

NamUs is only as good as the data entered. Not that DuPage would not be as accurate as possible...... but if nothing else I can share some of what we've learned here at WS scouring matches.

CarlK' if you happen to catch this thread, I would very much appreciate some of your input as well.

And McSpy, thank you for presenting Lubbins as a possible. I try to stay abreast of all the local missing persons but I do miss some.....

Had a nice conversation with the DuPage Coroner. He's indicated additional info should be available soon on NamUs with regards to the Herrick Lake Doe. Clothing and shoe sizes specifically.

He was familiar with the missing man, Dale E. Lubbins from Downers Grove.

I think Dale has been ruled out, but he didn't have the file in front of him.

I also emphasized how important it is to maintain the 'rule out' list on NamUs. So hopefully we will see some NamUs updates on this John Doe in the not too distant future.

NamUs has been updated to add the following info on Herrick Lake John Doe:

Race/ethnicity believed to be Hispanic OR American Indian.

Dentals have also been updated.

Prince Virtue M tennis shoes -- those really are tennis shoes (or possibly another raquet sport). This is the company blurb from Zappos (the shoe website):

Prince Sports, Inc., based in New Jersey, is a recognized leader in game-improvement technologies and engineering-based high-performance sports equipment. Since 1970, Prince shoes and Ektelon have revolutionized tennis, squash and racquetball with innovations including “Oversize,” “Longbody” and “Extender” racquet technologies, Natural Foot Shape footwear technology, Synthetic Gut String and Electronic Ball Machines.

In 2005, Prince shoes introduced O3 Engineering. Prince Sports has operations on three continents and distribution in over 100 countries. When you think about Prince shoes you think quality and performance.

Whether you’re looking for Prince men’s shoes, Prince women’s shoes, or Ektelon men’s shoes, we've got you covered!

I couldn't find the M specifically. Most likely it's an older model. They're a brand that's often found in discount stores and thrift shops.

Looking at the way those shoes are worn and jammed out of shape, and found without laces, makes me think he was jamming larger feet into them.

Thanks carbuff. I did a little research on the tennis shoe mfg last evening. I too found they are a 'discount' shoe but did not find as much info as you were able to find. They are distributed everywhere it appears so not much help based on distribution.

Excellent point on the possibility he was wearing shoes too small in size. I wonder if there is anything more to no shoe laces, such as it is a 'fad' or style for a certain group? I don't pay enough attention to fads or styles to notice.

I still think it is possible he was homeless. And I can't find that his pants were found anywhere. NamUs now indicates the sweatshirt and shoes were found near the remains but no mention whether pants or remnants of pants were also found.

ETA: Imo, it is also good to see how his lower teeth were crowded. I don't recall mention of the crowding previously.

NamUs Update: Exclusions

The following people have been ruled out as being this decedent:
Michael Mansfield, birth year 1956, Illinois

Unfortunately this UID may be an illegal immigrant with absolutely no family in the country. Meaning no one to file a missing persons report.

I live in the area and there are many many many Mexicans who work at lawn maintenance. This guy could have been one of them. A difficult case if you ask me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lilhuda
Back