IL IL - William 'Billy' DeSousa, 10, Chicago, 20 June 1972

I too was glad that the family had some closure, but I am not aware that the murderer was ever caught. Who is Pierce? What were the circumstances about the arrest?
By the way, I found him at Swallow Cliff in Palos Heights.

Apache6f1--in post #6 above, poster mjl1962 has a link to a timeline of Pierce's crimes. Apparently he confessed to killing Billy--but I'm not sure if this was ever proven to be true.

Kline, this is so reminiscent of Lonnie's case, it's scary.

It was said that Pierce confessed to the killing while incarcerated in March 1981 for many other similiar type murders of other young people. To me there was a great possibility he was telling the truth because he not only told them Billy SeSousa's name he also worked at that Topps carnival at 79th & Cicero where he disappeared & was kidnapped from. This guy had sickly molested & killed so many kids i dont know how many there have been but they go all the wat back to the 50's. He died in 1999 from the piece i read on the internet. Here's The link:

http://murderpedia.org/male.P/p/pierce-charles.htm

People brought this case up recently in a Facebook group & since i remember it well & had a very close friend that knew him from his neighborhood i found this page. Someone who knew me on Facebook said that someone he closely knew or was related to is the one who's dog found the remains. What a sad story and a even more horrific emding. He was missing for a few years as he disappeared on 6/20/71 & they found his remains sometime in 1975. Those 4 years must have been hell for that family and i can't even imagine how they felt when they finally found him as they always had a small bit of hope that he would turn up someday but alive. I think it was hard to tell when exactaly he died as i couldnt find that info but this article from Chicago Tribune Feb 1975 said they were trying to figure that out:
Seems like yesterday and i was really surprised it was 1975. To me i thought it was in the 80's when they found him as it didnt seem that long ago.

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/...agic-ending-to-search-boys-skeleton-is-found/

Billy DeSousa, God rest his soul.

I just stumbled onto this page while looking for something else.
I am also from Chicago South Side, know this area well and vaguely remember this case.

If Billy went to the carnival at an off time, its very possible that he encountered a carney worker who may have befriended him and ultimately harmed him. Carnivals are notorious for having workers that are just a shade above the law and many who are below it. I imagine that the police thoroughly vetted all the workers but it still remains the most likely scenario in my opinion.

For what it's worth. Billy and I were classmates at St Bede. We were friends. The whole ordeal has haunted me my whole life.

About ten years ago I did some business with a very high ranking Chicago Detective. I asked him to look into the case and let me know what he found. The case is still open as of then. But what he told me kinda made sense. There is strong support that it was Gacy's doing. No actual proof. But he was suspected of killing many more boys than what we are aware of. It fit's though. Billy was probably lured by Gacy and the whole clown thing. It was a carnival. But I don't think we will ever know for sure. Still so sad.

Rest in peace friend. I will never forget you.

I am researching Billy's case. I'm a documentary filmmaker and the childhood friend of Andy Puglisi. I would love to talk with you - hoping you will still get this. I know it has been many years. Thank you!

It was said that Pierce confessed to the killing while incarcerated in March 1981 for many other similiar type murders of other young people. To me there was a great possibility he was telling the truth because he not only told them Billy SeSousa's name he also worked at that Topps carnival at 79th & Cicero where he disappeared & was kidnapped from. This guy had sickly molested & killed so many kids i dont know how many there have been but they go all the wat back to the 50's. He died in 1999 from the piece i read on the internet. Here's The link:

Charles Pierce | Murderpedia, the encyclopedia of murderers

People brought this case up recently in a Facebook group & since i remember it well & had a very close friend that knew him from his neighborhood i found this page. Someone who knew me on Facebook said that someone he closely knew or was related to is the one who's dog found the remains. What a sad story and a even more horrific emding. He was missing for a few years as he disappeared on 6/20/71 & they found his remains sometime in 1975. Those 4 years must have been hell for that family and i can't even imagine how they felt when they finally found him as they always had a small bit of hope that he would turn up someday but alive. I think it was hard to tell when exactaly he died as i couldnt find that info but this article from Chicago Tribune Feb 1975 said they were trying to figure that out:
Seems like yesterday and i was really surprised it was 1975. To me i thought it was in the 80's when they found him as it didnt seem that long ago.

Chicago Tribune - Historical Newspapers

Billy DeSousa, God rest his soul.

I can't find the FB group. Is it still around? Trying to locate people that knew Billy. Thank you!

I can't find the FB group. Is it still around? Trying to locate people that knew Billy. Thank you!
I graduated with Billy’s brother from St. Bede. I believe he is on fb. You might want to try that for a start. However- if family doesn’t want to participate ....I hope you respect that. I spent 8 years in school with his brother- and didn’t learn of this until I was an adult. As others have mentioned in the area- this case was never discussed.

I too was glad that the family had some closure, but I am not aware that the murderer was ever caught. Who is Pierce? What were the circumstances about the arrest?
By the way, I found him at Swallow Cliff in Palos Heights.
I just came upon this site. I'm actually recovering from Covid and watching different crime shows to pass the time. I remember the disappearance of Billy very well. I was 16 at the time. I attended the same grade school and church as he and his siblings but I didn't know them so if you weren't in the same grade you may never cross paths. Our grade school was the largest in the diocese. I recall flyers being passed out with Billy's picture and I recall a helicopter circling above the early evening of his disappearance or it could have been the following evening. I was at my friends home off 79th street about a half a mile from the carnival at Topps. Looking back it was very strange how quiet the neighborhood was about this missing boy. I believe it was out of respect for the family. Rumors were the mother had reached out to psychics to help find Billy. It was never far from our minds. I had heard he went with his sister to the carnival and they were either separated or she wanted to go home before he did. I remember how excited we all were when the carnivals came to our area. I recall my mother saying she suspected a carnival worker took him. It sounds like that was true. I don't remember if they prayed for Billy at church on Sundays as I would expect they should have. I do know we in the neighborhood prayed for Billy and his family... even those of us who were not in his class or a siblings class. We were connected by the neighborhood. I still think of him. I had no idea someone from the neighborhood found his remains. I remember being in college when the news broke. I was so sad again for his family. It's hard to believe June of 2022 will be 50 years. Those were different times. No one was suspicious of evil people lurking around. We all road our bikes to the carnivals with friends. It all changed after Billy's disappearance. I hope the man who confessed was truthful. I know there have been others who boast of crimes they didn't commit.

I had a conversation years ago concerning the FBI highway serial killings initiative, with a well known member of the FBI

I asked the question about transient workers, such as carnival workers etc.., and his answer was "almost certainly" " like any other transient work it provides them to access to victims, and the ability to disappear after with no question as to why .

The lifestyle is that of much unaccounted for time, most require no criminal background checks, pretty tempting environment for a deviant criminal , many seek out that type of lifestyle because no one really sees them they can hide they can disappear. Most of the time they're paid in cash, Many live in mobile homes, which itself can be a crime scene that moves hundreds of miles

Remember this , where there is "prey" there is almost always somewhere "predators", the predators are better at finding and obtaining victims, than we are identifying danger, and protecting them. They often try to hide in plain sight , assume roles wed rarely ever question, but often our gut tells us something about people around us, TRUST that gut feeling

In the later 1970s, I attended the Oak Lawn Community Presbyterian Church (now called Rios de Aqua Viva). My Sunday school teacher, Dian Lake and her husband Lyle, an Oak Lawn firefighter were out hiking at Swallow Cliff Woods during autumn/winter. Suddenly their dog got very excited and ran off toward a tree where it began digging furiously at a ground covered with fallen leaves. This is how Billy DeSousa was discovered. I seem to recall a mention of a large rock at the location as well that seemed out of place, but not sure. Back then, my memory of what she said is that they found a bicycle chain near the body. According to a newspaper article, the key to his bike was discovered near the body. I'm guessing what she actually said is that they found his bike key attached to a chain he wore. Either way, she mentioned a chain of some sort found near the body and alluded to it being used as a weapon used to murder the boy—if I remember correctly. As much as I would like to discredit much of her story, if not all of it, because—why is a Sunday school teacher telling this to a group of 10 to 12 year olds??—but the fact that her husband was a fireman, in my mind at least, is verification enough.

Based on those statistics and what Mrs. Lake share with our class, it seems more consistent with the child killings of Charles Pierce than John Wayne Gacy. It seems Gacy looked for interaction with his victims that presented some level of engagement that presented itself as at least some level or challenge or resistance that he would not find in an average docile and compliant 10-year-old boy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
uncommongrackle
Back