GUILTY IL - Willow Long, 7, Watson, 8 Sept 2013 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's why I think it is a big deal that CD lied. I have to start with a question though. When did she realize Willow was gone. If she came home and crashed, then realized in the morning she was gone, than ask JD. If JD didn't have an answer, then when was the last time did he see her. Probably say the night before, put her to bed and went to bed too. That would leave more time for her to be gone and less of a chance of LE hot on the trail.

If she was completely clueless and realized at some point Sunday morning and JD was not around or clueless too, than making up a story that she had been missing for 90 minutes instead of possibly 12 hours would be a serious problem for roadblocks and search area. If Willow was kidnapped and not just killed, her timeline put her in jeopardy. That in itself is a crime. If she woke up and JD just lied to her and said he fed them breakfast and they were watching a movie, than I can understand how the story could have been misunderstood. Maybe CD was just regurgitating what JD told her as fact. Am I reading into a possibility that is possible?

We also have to remember that we don't know what type of custody arrangement CD and the father had. CPS can't just take a child away and give it to another guardian without first placing the child in their legal custody. The child could still be with the father, but still under DCFS's legal custody.

I have seen situations in which a child wanders away from the home, DCF (Florida) is called and doesn't like whatever they see and opens an investigation, even when the parent isn't the one responsible for the child wandering away. We just don't know what they found at the house.

The only thing I think is odd is the abuse claim against JD. I think people knew early on that she did not wander away.

Actually they don't have to take custody first. It is an option. It ensures oversight by CPS while the child is actually living with the non-custodial parent. The other option is a kinship placement with a suitable relative. This child may be living with his bio dad and CPS has custody. Common situation.

"We received a hotline report on Sunday and immediately launched an investigation for protective custody and on Tuesday, it was upheld in juvenile court," he said. "Overall, seeking protective custody is, in itself, rather rare, and we do so only when we believe it is necessary for the safety of the child or children."

Clarkin said he could not divulge details of the hotline report which prompted DCFS' involvement with the case but did say the reason for some confusion on the case may be because the agency rarely takes protective custody of a child in Effingham County.

"It may seem unusual to folks in Effingham County because, luckily, these are rare occurrences in the case of child death or abuse," he said.

Safety also may be an issue for Long's uncle, Justin DeRyke, who has been charged with three counts of first degree murder in the case, since his incarceration. An official source said DeRyke has been the subject of threats from some individuals coming into the Effingham County Jail.

http://effinghamdailynews.com/local...stody-after-abuse-report#sthash.dTCqXO2m.dpuf
bumping up. the report was made Sunday when le has said it was a missing case.

was this posted??? how did I miss it...sorry...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...ate-child-and-family-services-spokesman-says/

Clarkin said the DCF investigations into Long's mother and uncle were launched on Sept. 8 -- the same day the girl was reported missing -- after someone called a DCF hotline to report allegations of neglect and abuse. Two allegations of neglect were reported against the girl's mother, Ciarra DeRyke, and one allegation of abuse was reported against Justin DeRyke, he said.

Effingham County State's Attorney Bryan Kibler tells Crimesider there are no criminal charges against Ciarra DeRyke "at this time." The criminal investigation is still in its early stages and it's not clear whether more charges will be filed in the case, he said.

Clarkin couldn't provide further details about the nature of the DCF allegations. The investigations, which should be complete in about 60 days, will determine whether the allegations are true and aim to ensure the safety of the surviving child, Clarkin said. Once completed, the department and others will make a recommendation to a judge as to whether the child should be re-united with the family or placed in another home, he said.

bumping up this one too

I know what the opinion of most is, but I don't believe it was LE that called in the report, sorry. I think someone who knows CD and JD, who may have seen her at the bar that evening, and knows a little "something" about JD...called it in. Grandma said they were asking themselves if maybe their son had problems, something they didn't see. I think someone else in that community saw that something in the past via interaction with JD and Willow...and never called it in because it was "none of their business"(same excuse many people use, sadly). Them finding Willow's body gave whoever this someone is...reason enough to notify DCFS at that point. ...jmo, I don't believe it was LE at all.

It happens time and time again, neighbors and friends don't call. The child is still alive after seeing x..y..z so they just shake their head and say "that poor kid" and let it go. Finding a dead body, though - would cause them to report abuse and/or neglect. I don't know anything about murder cases (thankfully) but as far as abuse goes...this happens a lot. People don't call until the extreme happens, when it's too late, sad sad.

Well aside from LE calling it in, my only other thought is CD's boyfriends' mother. She was on the scene rather quickly and did a lot of talking for CD. Maybe her flag went up? Maybe she KNEW CD was out all night with her son? Maybe CD "crashed" at her house with the boyfriend and the mother KNEW that CD didn't get in until the morning. Maybe SHE spotted something hinky from jump street. JMO

Still wonder if the mom was not home at all until 10.30 am. Brother says he killed Willow on the Saturday night, autopsy result says she was killed on Saturday night. Why initially did CD say she had seen Willow on Sunday? Maybe she didn't get home until long after JD had gone to work, and little N was left all alone. Would explain why N was upset and why CPS took child into care.

This was my thought from day one.

However, she wouldn't have known that JD was going to kill Willow and then leave for work early.

Woke up this sunday morning thinking of Willow.

I've been thinking of reason's why JD would of killed her. Someone mentioned possibly of him sexually abusing her. My question is how would he get away with it? if the abuse was long term, with the mother and grand parents all living in the same house, who claimed to love her dearly, how would it be down under their noses? I cant imagine a 7 year old keeping quiet about this.

How about JD sexually abusing N and Willow walked in on it? and her lashing out at him to stop.

moo
Sadly, to have this happen in families is not unusual

Here's why I think it is a big deal that CD lied. I have to start with a question though. When did she realize Willow was gone. If she came home and crashed, then realized in the morning she was gone, than ask JD. If JD didn't have an answer, then when was the last time did he see her. Probably say the night before, put her to bed and went to bed too. That would leave more time for her to be gone and less of a chance of LE hot on the trail.

If she was completely clueless and realized at some point Sunday morning and JD was not around or clueless too, than making up a story that she had been missing for 90 minutes instead of possibly 12 hours would be a serious problem for roadblocks and search area. If Willow was kidnapped and not just killed, her timeline put her in jeopardy. That in itself is a crime. If she woke up and JD just lied to her and said he fed them breakfast and they were watching a movie, than I can understand how the story could have been misunderstood. Maybe CD was just regurgitating what JD told her as fact. Am I reading into a possibility that is possible?

I really think that JD told her he saw her at 8:45. Because he would have to have an explanation to the CD about when he saw them last.

Still wonder if the mom was not home at all until 10.30 am. Brother says he killed Willow on the Saturday night, autopsy result says she was killed on Saturday night. Why initially did CD say she had seen Willow on Sunday? Maybe she didn't get home until long after JD had gone to work, and little N was left all alone. Would explain why N was upset and why CPS took child into care.

I agree with you. It also explains the need for the story Mom told about checking on the kids.

The department may have legal guardianship; however that does not preclude the child from staying with his father or other relatives. He may be. He may not be.

I know what the opinion of most is, but I don't believe it was LE that called in the report, sorry. I think someone who knows CD and JD, who may have seen her at the bar that evening, and knows a little "something" about JD...called it in. Grandma said they were asking themselves if maybe their son had problems, something they didn't see. I think someone else in that community saw that something in the past via interaction with JD and Willow...and never called it in because it was "none of their business"(same excuse many people use, sadly). Them finding Willow's body gave whoever this someone is...reason enough to notify DCFS at that point. ...jmo, I don't believe it was LE at all.

It happens time and time again, neighbors and friends don't call. The child is still alive after seeing x..y..z so they just shake their head and say "that poor kid" and let it go. Finding a dead body, though - would cause them to report abuse and/or neglect. I don't know anything about murder cases (thankfully) but as far as abuse goes...this happens a lot. People don't call until the extreme happens, when it's too late, sad sad.

BBM That was the case with Zahara Baker. Everybody came out of the woodwork with stories of seeing her step mother abusing her after she went missing. It was a horrible case, but extra sad that no one took up for Zahara before it was too late, not even her own father.

I do have one question though, how can it be neglect since mom left the kids with her brother, someone over 18 to babysit while she was out.

Would it be neglect if mom came home and didn't check on the kids or didn't come home until after brother was already gone to work?

I don't know, but it seems a stretch to be able to charge mom with neglect if she wasn't aware that her brother was going to kill or did kill her child.

Kinda feels like if that were the case, then anyone who goes out and leaves their child with a babysitter (even family) is taking the chance to be found neglectful if something happens. It would seem more likely to be charged with neglect if you didn't check on the kids when you came home or left them alone.

Kelly

I just think that LE charged mom as a tactic to get more info out of her. In the Daphne Webb case, they charged dad for leaving baby in the car, but then let him go the next day.

So back to her morning lie. JD may have told her that he fed the kids before he went to work (possibly only fed the boy) that she did not think that her lie to LE stating that she saw her children in the morning would have any impact on finding Willow. Because since she thought JD fed them, it would not change Willow's location at that precise moment. ... If CD had been out all night and she needed the morning to sleep it off, I can only imagine the condition she may have been in when LE arrived. That alone may have raised a few eyebrows. Perhaps the boy really was crying for a really long time and a neighbor heard this and told LE.

I've been wondering if he didn't bother to feed the little boy at all, and maybe that's why he was crying?

I just think that LE charged mom as a tactic to get more info out of her. In the Daphne Webb case, they charged dad for leaving baby in the car, but then let him go the next day.

Mom wasn't "charged" with anything. CPS/DCFS is NOT law enforcement. CPS is Child Protective Services, DCFS is Department of Child and Family Services. A report was made. CPS/DCFS opened an investigation into ALLEGATIONS of child abuse/neglect. There are 2 allegations on the mother, one for neglect and one for abuse. One allegation for abuse on the uncle.

ETA: Correction...2 allegations of neglect on mom, 1 allegation of abuse against the uncle.

Well aside from LE calling it in, my only other thought is CD's boyfriends' mother. She was on the scene rather quickly and did a lot of talking for CD. Maybe her flag went up? Maybe she KNEW CD was out all night with her son? Maybe CD "crashed" at her house with the boyfriend and the mother KNEW that CD didn't get in until the morning. Maybe SHE spotted something hinky from jump street. JMO

If that was the case then why did she tell the story?
Remember, the "I fed them breakfast" story came FROM the boyfriends mother about Willow's mother.
So if she knew it was a lie, why did she continue the lie?
Doesn't make sense either.

Mom wasn't "charged" with anything. CPS/DCFS is NOT law enforcement. CPS is Child Protective Services, DCFS is Department of Child and Family Services. A report was made. CPS/DCFS opened an investigation into ALLEGATIONS of child abuse/neglect. There are 2 allegations on the mother, one for neglect and one for abuse. One allegation for abuse on the uncle.

Just using this as a jump in spot to thank you for the info your providing. Thanks button wasnt enough!!

Jumping off my own post to clarify a couple of things here. CPS works very closely with LE on many, many cases. That said, we are not LE and they are not us. We actually have some rights that LE doesn't have and visa versa. CPS does not "charge" a perpetrator with anything. If the situation warrants, the DA is notified to determine whether or not they want to bring criminal charges. CPS cases are brought to Family Court, not Criminal Court. We may testify in Criminal Court and LE may testify in Family Court, but ultimately we are separate entities and the courts are deciding separate issues. Family Court is supposed to determine best interests of the child as far as custody. Criminal Court determines guilt or innocence. Family Court can terminate parental rights. Criminal Court does not.

Astounding how fast this all came about and that we have so much info already still fresh in our minds.

JMO, this lie confusion is just going to go on until CR straightens it out. She doesn't owe the general public an explanation, but the lie confusion has caused suspicions. Was it what she thought an inconsequential mistruth at the time her daughter went missing? Then, please, just explain it and thank the community for searching.

The way it seems now, to me, is that CR may not have even arrived home until moments before calling in to police that her daughter was missing. She called the grandparents who were on the road first. Is all this confusion just to hide the fact that she didn't get home that night? Too late for keeping secrets now.

Please, sometime soon, just a brief explanation might quell everyone's suspicious thoughts when they hear a story that doesn't make sense.

All MOO

ALL calls are anonymous. Even if they aren't. That is all the public will ever be told.

The brother was removed because his sister was missing. Credible risk for him until the circumstances show otherwise.

Respectfully bbm: NC - I take it this is your professional opinion, correct? There has been no information released that would indicate this was the specific reason the brother was removed from the home.

Thanks,

Salem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members