IN - Abigail Williams, 13, & Liberty German, 14, Delphi, 13 Feb 2017 #59

Status
Not open for further replies.
GPS are not always correct. I had, what (for me) a scary experience. Flying from Australia to Dulles Airport and getting a taxi at 2.30 am to my friend's house and the driver's GPS led to the wrong house. Fortunately, I had seen a pic of the house on Google Maps and when he drove slowly, further on, I recognised it. About 12 houses away.

Also true...I took a trip far up north with my friend like 8 years ago..Hadn't driven myself there as an adult before, and both my GPS and phone had zero signal. We ended up down the longest darkest dirt road ever. Talk about scared. Sometimes they just have no signal at all, and then sometimes you can put in all the right info and it just takes you to the totally wrong place.

Interesting website "According to our research of Indiana and other state lists there were 16 registered sex offenders living in Delphi, Indiana as of May 17, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Delphi to the number of sex offenders is 181 to 1."

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Delphi-Indiana.html#ixzz4hNoQWi8C
I wonder what the count would be if the registered sex offenders who work in Delphi every day but live outside city limits were added in. :-[

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

True... And since our opinions have him pegged down to approximately late 40's on average... I'm 30 and remember about when a lot of people started having GPS, about ten years ago, and I still kind of thought maps were just easier and more reliable but somebody bought me one. If someone were in mid 40's or so they'd probably have more experience with maps than GPS. All IMO.

I thought the poster had trouble finding the trail to the bridge and the bridge itself, not that she had trouble getting to the Parking area where the trail head is:).

My comment about the map was regarding the trail head and the trail to the bridge itself:) Also I think the trail had signs pointing to the trail to the bridge at the start of the trail head.

Actually getting to the parking lot I don't think would be an issue even for so called "outsiders", it seems Nana just had GPS problems with construction etc.

Mar. 8th as per report from Crime Watch Daily (Chris Hansen) "DELPHI, Ind. -- (WXIN) -- The FBI is putting together a suspect profile to help find the killer of two teen girls in Delphi.
Police say they’re getting closer to finding the suspect, who they believe could be a local resident. " So where's the suspect profile tho?
https://crimewatchdaily.com/2017/03...e-of-suspect-accused-of-killing-delphi-teens/

I thought the poster had trouble finding the trail to the bridge and the bridge itself, not that she had trouble getting to the Parking area where the trail head is:).

My comment about the map was regarding the trail head and the trail to the bridge itself:) Also I think the trail had signs pointing to the trail to the bridge at the start of the trail head.

Actually getting to the parking lot I don't think would be an issue even for so called "outsiders", it seems Nana just had GPS problems with construction etc.

Ahh, okay!! Thanks! I see what you mean now. :)

I wonder if there is a local, that has now moved away, so it's not 'ringing' any bells in anyone's mind?

Yeah, that is the general theory that has sounded most likely to me and that I always come back to.. That he knew the trails well from a history of spending time there but didn't necessarily still live there.. Having grown up there or visited often at some point in his life. Thank you for bringing that up again about the bridge being hard to find without prior knowledge of it. That makes me lean even more strongly towards this theory.

Some locals didn't know it was there. I wonder how many folks walked to the bridge area back when it was an active railroad property, as well as before it became a park.

Some locals didn't know it was there. I wonder how many folks walked to the bridge area back when it was an active railroad property, as well as before it became a park.

I know it was a popular hangout for the younger crowd. I thought Nana had asked a local where the actual bridge was at and they either weren't able to tell her or gave her confusing directions. Either way, I think it leads more credence to the theory that he at least knew the bridge and was somewhat familiar with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you try to find Monon High Bridge via GPS or Google Maps, you get sent to the south side of the bridge via N625W, which deadends at a closed gate with 'no trespassing' and 'private property' signage. There is no public access to the bridge from that end.

To find the bridge if you're unfamiliar with Delphi, you can drive along W300N until you see the red gate across from the Mears property. You can access the section of trail nearest the N side of the bridge from there but there is no parking.

Alternatively, you can park at the formal trailhead, which is on the W side of the 25. There's a parking lot that leads to the newer bridge over the 25 and continues on to the high bridge (or down the 505 steps to something called 'Deer Crick'). It's not a long walk at all. The trail from this side is well maintained for walkers -- gravel paths and benches set at short intervals if you want to stop and sit. (I saw people there with baby strollers.) It's also just below the road (W300N) and within sight/sound distance most of the way, almost about until you get to the bridge.

But it really isn't so easy to find the trail access if you're an outsider. You have to drive around on some dead ends and then cross-reference with your GPS and online trail maps like the one put out by Carroll County.

Just using your comment BBM not really addressing you:).

I live near a National Park, some locals haven't even stepped foot in it and wouldn't know about certain really cool features it has. They have no interest in the features nor walking on the trails.

Although I tend to think BG is from the area or is really familiar with the area, I personally am not ruling out anyone based on others knowledge of the bridge.

What some locals know and don't know about the bridge, to me, has no baring on finding the bridge. Its on the City of Delphi's website with a map, its on several bridge enthusiasts websites as well as hiking websites with directions. Anyone not local with those interests can find the bridge if they are looking for a place to go out sightseeing.

Just my thoughts:).

If you try to find Monon High Bridge via GPS or Google Maps, you get sent to the south side of the bridge via N625W, which deadends at a closed gate with 'no trespassing' and 'private property' signage. There is no public access to the bridge from that end.

To find the bridge if you're unfamiliar with Delphi, you can drive along W300N until you see the red gate across from the Mears property. You can access the section of trail nearest the N side of the bridge from there but there is no parking.

Alternatively, you can park at the formal trailhead, which is on the W side of the 25. There's a parking lot that leads to the newer bridge over the 25 and continues on to the high bridge (or down the 505 steps to something called 'Deer Crick'). It's not a long walk at all. The trail from this side is well maintained for walkers -- gravel paths and benches set at short intervals if you want to stop and sit. (I saw people there with baby strollers.) It's also just below the road (W300N) and within sight/sound distance most of the way, almost about until you get to the bridge.

But it really isn't so easy to find the trail access if you're an outsider. You have to drive around on some dead ends and then cross-reference with your GPS and online trail maps like the one put out by Carroll County.

Thank you for this!

Here is a youtube of someone walking the trail from the parking lot area 300...

[video=youtube;9NRsWMECSNI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NRsWMECSNI[/video]

It's about a 6 minute video of the trail before you get to the bridge.

True... And since our opinions have him pegged down to approximately late 40's on average... I'm 30 and remember about when a lot of people started having GPS, about ten years ago, and I still kind of thought maps were just easier and more reliable but somebody bought me one. If someone were in mid 40's or so they'd probably have more experience with maps than GPS. All IMO.

That would depend on occupation and even hobbies such as hunting, fishing and golfing. My father-in-law is 80 years old and is a master at GPS systems because he's a driver.

Mar. 8th as per report from Crime Watch Daily (Chris Hansen) "DELPHI, Ind. -- (WXIN) -- The FBI is putting together a suspect profile to help find the killer of two teen girls in Delphi.
Police say they’re getting closer to finding the suspect, who they believe could be a local resident. " So where's the suspect profile tho?
https://crimewatchdaily.com/2017/03...e-of-suspect-accused-of-killing-delphi-teens/

The FBI profile is not released, however it's an investigative tool that's helpful to LE in prioritizing attention on potential suspects. A few news reports ago iirc it was also mentioned LE revisiting earlier tips based on the profile.

The FBI profile is not released, however it's an investigative tool that's helpful to LE in prioritizing attention on potential suspects. A few news reports ago iirc it was also mentioned LE revisiting earlier tips based on the profile.

We never get to see the profile? I thought I had seen it released to the public in previous cases, but I could be wrong.

Good information, thank you!!! :)

You all remember the Scott Peterson case, right? Well, when that story broke I was a frequent member and contributor to an AOL true crime group. (Ha ha, that was a really long time ago...) Someone got on there one night and "theorized" about what might have happened to Lacy. They talked about the hypothetical argument about his mistress that might have happened, talked about how and where he struck Lacy, how she died, how he cleaned up her blood and wrapped her up. How he put her in his trunk and drove out to the water. I mean, this guys theory was totally detailed.

And, as it turns out, totally accurate. He posted all of those things the night she was reported missing-long before we knew anything about Amber Frey, where Scott had been fishing, etc.The guy never posted again and his profile went inactive.

It was THAT case that got me interested in true crime communities and people's theories in general. Although none of us did anything to help solve that crime, we really enjoyed each other's company and learned a lot about police procedural.

There is still a part of me that thinks that might have been Scott posting. It makes me wonder how often BG revisits HIS crime-either by going back to the trail or by hanging out with "us." Of course, maybe he doesn't at all. But you never know!

I keep going back to what the poster Nana said in the earliest threads. She made the trip to the bridge shortly after the crime and posted the pics she took. One of the things she talked about was how hard it was to actually locate the bridge as an outsider. She had a hard time finding it, even when she asked for directions from a local. Consequently, she felt that someone had to know these paths. From her post and others who have said similar things after going there in person, I tend to wonder if he may have some degree of familiarity with Delphi since the bridge seems to be a popular hangout spot.

Going off your train of thought though, it would be interesting to see if this was a guy who may have at one time lived in Delphi as a teen or young adult and moved to Illinois some time later. Perhaps he was visiting relatives in Delphi on his day off. Interesting theory that is worth looking into.

I agree whole heartedly. ❤️ It's only been three months, but Nana's posts seem an eternity ago. So many unsolved murder cases linger much longer.

It is so hard to understand, IMO, how this case has gone on unsolved with an image and voice capture available.

It's not the first time, though, and won't be the last, where the evidence was out there for all to see, and nothing resulted.

It is so durn frustrating, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member