GUILTY IN - Alissa Guernsey, 16 mos, beaten to death, LaGrange, 28 March 2009

I would have more sympathy for the mother if she had chosen to fight for justice rather than sue.
She had to choose one or the other... who here would have chosen to stop fighting for justice in order to get money?

She was originally given 10 YEARS... but as you said he suggested he would modify her sentence.

Which he did 77 days later when he released her.

We need to get JVM on this one now that she covered Juliette. :please:

:furious: I'm choking with indignation and rage!

Here's something the judge said when Alissa had died and he had to make a decision about whether the other children should be taken out of the evil abuser's care (The "Mr. Sprunger he refers to is the defendant's father.):

http://articles.southbendtribune.com/2012-10-11/news/34395469_1_vanderbeck-time-bomb-wrong-place
The defendant had tons of support in the courtroom; the mother had very little. Even the judge was cold towards her. AND he even suggested to the defendant that she and her attorney should wait a bit and then petition him to modify his sentence.
I keep calling her "the defendant" because I don't think I'm allowed to call her the murderer.

I would have more sympathy for the mother if she had chosen to fight for justice rather than sue.
She had to choose one or the other... who here would have chosen to stop fighting for justice in order to get money?

She was originally given 10 YEARS... but as you said he suggested he would modify her sentence.

No amount of money in the world should trump justice for Alissa... especially when that said person is the child's own mother.

Looks like we, once again, are going to have to make some noise and be Alissa's voice. I've shared her facebook page with all my friends and have sent it to numerous people in private messages.

Looking at the pictures of Alissa's injuries, the charges for her death should be, at minimum, Aggravated Child Abuse resulting in death.... which is a capital offence in most states. It equates to First Degree Murder. No person, in their right mind can look at those pictures of Alissa and say this was simple neglect and that even a 10-year-sentence is justice for what was done to her.

Has anyone linked Alissa's case over at Caylee's sidebar to get some of them involved with this case? Even if it is to get some facebook action for Alissa?

In fairness to the mother, civil suits aren't entirely about money. If the criminal court behaved so pathetically in this case, maybe she feels that the civil court is her only remaining chance to exact any punishment from the person who killed her daughter, through punitive damages and public shame.

Like the relatives of OJ's victims, for example.

In fairness to the mother, civil suits aren't entirely about money. If the criminal court behaved so pathetically in this case, maybe she feels that the civil court is her only remaining chance to exact any punishment from the person who killed her daughter, through punitive damages and public shame.

Like the relatives of OJ's victims, for example.

But there is still a chance for this woman to be charged again! That is the point here. She can still be charged with a REAL crime.
I would have waited until all hope of that was lost before suing anyone... if suing meant that I had to give up hope of justice.

Looking at the pictures of Alissa's injuries, the charges for her death should be, at minimum, Aggravated Child Abuse resulting in death.... which is a capital offence in most states. It equates to First Degree Murder. No person, in their right mind can look at those pictures of Alissa and say this was simple neglect and that even a 10-year-sentence is justice for what was done to her.

SBM

Yes! This, to me, is exactly what it was, and exactly what this monster should have been charged with. Aggravated Child Abuse, resulting in death. It was not neglect. She was torturing a child that couldn't defend herself. And that torture ultimately took the little girls life.

I don't see how anyone could spin it any other way.

This horrible woman tortured a child, to the point of death.
How is it that she had so many people supporting her in court? Can people really turn such a blind eye to this just because they know the abuser?

I don't believe I could ever support someone who had committed such a horrible crime. No matter who they are. No matter how well connected they are in the community. It makes me sick to my stomach that someone can treat an innocent child in such a way. And for people to brush it away because her father is well connected? They should all be ashamed of themselves.

Happy 5th Birthday Alissa!

alissa4.jpg

It's time, that we as a country charge people who beat small children to death get stiffer sentences than people who sell legal prescription drugs, to those buyers who don't have the benefit of a doctor's prescription? Wouldn't that be great? People who want to buy and sell pain killers IMHO should be given lighter sentences than those who beat little babies to death.

In one month baby Alissa was seen by doctors fifteen times. Extreme? Possibility of child abuse? YES. Christy Shaffer had possession of Alissa for ninety days. During that time period Shaffer inflicted injuries upon Alissa. Shaffer caused pain and suffering to Alissa. Shaffer finally caused Alissa to die. Why is this murderer not behind bars where she belongs? Social prominence should not be considered as an excuse for lesser punishment for causing the death of a child. I hope justice will prevail in this case.

563994_458185837573072_665541373_n.jpg

You have to get her face out into the public so people can understand what we are dealing with here.

Sleuthers, this is an excellent example of why tags are important. Tags help bring traffic when people put key words into search engines. I added a bunch of tags, but I am not familiar with the minutiae of this case, so add more...

Was Ms Shaffer selling the morphine or injesting it herself do you think?

Has anyone approached the Attorney General's office or the DOJ regarding the case and possible additional charges? TIA.

I mean, let's see...she does 77 days for neglect, but how much time would she pull for selling or distributing the morphine?

Sorry for all of the back to back posts-I will try and find a synopsis of the case somewhere before I make all of you crazy.

Well it doesnt take too much time to get the details-all of you who are supporting Alissa have done a beautiful job of making her story heard.

Does anyone know what happened to the morphine?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back