GUILTY IN - April Tinsley, 8, Fort Wayne, 1 April 1988 *Arrest*

According to this article, the 14 yr old boy "saw" a man come back to paint the sign on the barn. Unless the sentenced was worded wrong, I assume he was able to give a descrioption of the person to LE?

http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090401/NEWS/904010342

According to everything else I have read, the boy did not see the person. He noticed the writing on the barn and that it was getting darker. In other words the perp was coming back and writing over the wording making it darker each time. Apparently, the perp wanted the message seen and wanted it published in the media.

The boy contacted the police. They found crayons by the barn that the perp used to write the message.

The creep likes to taunt the police and the public.

In that case, the sentence is poorly worded. As for the rest of the article, it is sad her father has given up hope and sees no value in the AMW spot. Hopefully he will be proven wrong.
I, too, think the perp relishes the attention he is receiving. He has this disgusting perverted secret no one else knows about, and that gives him a thrill. I wonder if the AMW spot provokes his ego into leaving more messages.

In that case, the sentence is poorly worded. As for the rest of the article, it is sad her father has given up hope and sees no value in the AMW spot. Hopefully he will be proven wrong.
I, too, think the perp relishes the attention he is receiving. He has this disgusting perverted secret no one else knows about, and that gives him a thrill. I wonder if the AMW spot provokes his ego into leaving more messages.

That particular article was from 2009. I'm not sure how the father feels about the new airing by AMW. I do know he is active on the FB remembrance page and I haven't seen him say anything negative about the media.

I don't know what prompted AMW to do this recent show. I'm not sure if it was at the families request or otherwise.

One of the articles mentioned that they thought the perp was still alive in the area. "I speculated" a bit on whether he had surfaced again in some way that made them feel this way but they didn't release that information.

Here is the most recent article from the local newspaper: http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20120829/LOCAL07/308299974/1043/LOCAL07

The new info from the article:
Investigators have received nearly 60 tips that have created about 30 potential new suspects in the search for April Marie Tinsley’s killer.

Also on the AMW episode they were talking about the polaroid pic that the perp had taken and left with the notes. They said the man was white with a possible red tint to his hair. :puke:

I went to AMW to see if I could get the episode to post here and ran across a whole bunch of info that must have recently been put on there, that I hadn't seen.

http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=64668

Note: when you get to the site click on the media link that is right above the description of the perp.

For many years, I have followed this case. With the bold audacity of this offender, it's easy to discern he has never been caught in his crime(s). The fact that he so easily left traceable forensic evidence alludes to extreme stupidity or most likely a narcissistic, untouchable attitude. I do not think April was his 1st victim but, I do think she was his 1st murder. I also think April died within 12 hours of being abducted. I'm not sure what prompted AMW to include this in their recent programming but, I hope it leads to an arrest.

april-tinsley-sex-toy-horiz.jpg

He could have bought this at what was known at the time as the Annex adult bookstore that was located and i think still is on 38th and something. pendleton pike perhaps Indianapolis.
It is just south of Fort Wayne off the interstate. You can get on and off the interstate and be right there at this adult bookstore. Less than an hour away from fort wayne.

Its a rubber dildo with a crank on it.

Back in 86 87 I used to work there. We had alot of people come down from fort wayne to buy there toys. There were no adult bookstores I believe at the time in fort Wayne.
And we sold alot of these adult toys.

april-tinsley-sex-toy-horiz.jpg

He could have bought this at what was known at the time as the Annex adult bookstore that was located and i think still is on 38th and something. pendleton pike perhaps Indianapolis.
It is just south of Fort Wayne off the interstate. You can get on and off the interstate and be right there at this adult bookstore. Less than an hour away from fort wayne.

Its a rubber dildo with a crank on it.

Back in 86 87 I used to work there. We had alot of people come down from fort wayne to buy there toys. There were no adult bookstores I believe at the time in fort Wayne.
And we sold alot of these adult toys.

Wow. You might have sold this item to April's killer. (Too bad there's no centralized Indiana Dildo Registry, or we might have caught this sicko by now!)

This probably has nothing to do with anything but my own curiosity, but what happens when you turn the crank on that thing? Does the whole thing rotate with the crank? Or does just the tip rotate?

What a creepy sicko this guy is. And very, very brazen.

I wonder what prompted him to write the notes/messages almost 20 years after murdering April?

Does anyone know if there are any other unsolved murders or disappearances of young girls in that general area? Hard to believe April was his only victim considering the sheer joy he seemed to get from committing the crime.

What a creepy sicko this guy is. And very, very brazen.

I wonder what prompted him to write the notes/messages almost 20 years after murdering April?

Does anyone know if there are any other unsolved murders or disappearances of young girls in that general area? Hard to believe April was his only victim considering the sheer joy he seemed to get from committing the crime.

It's my area and I'm unaware of any others like this or even close to this.

If I could have my wish, it would be to run familial DNA, through the national database.

I have to wonder if this guy is some type of true-crime or police junkie...The note and the message on the barn are eerily similar to some of those left by the original Zodiac. "I am the same person that kidnapped"---"I am the person who killed those two"....."If I dont see this in the paper.." "I will kill again..."

Even the message on the barn is similar to the message scrawled on the car door at Lake Berryessa. The handwriting is reminiscent of the Zodiac's.
If it weren't for the DNA in the condoms being (I presume) a match from that taken from the body, I'd think this was just someone seeking attention.

I would be willing to wager, however, that this guy is known to the police in some way, probably even volunteered to search for April when she went missing.

You hit the nail on the head. The writing looks alot like zodiac's. I am sorting and comparing it now. Zodiac was never known to have raped or sexually assaulted anybody, but the writing, taunting police, wording, and the interest in seeing the letter published in the paper, is all like zodiac. I have some more stuff that matches as well that I am putting together, will see where it goes. I agree, zodiac would be the type to take credit for a crime he didn't do like this one, and write a letter for it, but in this case, looks like police think the letter writer is also the rapist/murderer.

This case is most disgusting, and I can't even imagine the sleezy slimeball dirtbag that did this to this little girl

Anything new at all with this case?

Somebody earlier mentioned a similarity in the Tinsley case writing to that of Zodiac. I agree, and found something compelling, both writers use 2 different kinds of k's, and they all match between both writers-

Well if the messages are authentic, (sometimes people do claim responsibility for crimes they didn't do ) the writing and spelling are interesting, unless this guy learned to spell and write from Captain Caveman

Pretty High risk attempt for the offender, Victim lifestyle is low risk, nothing she did increased her chances of becoming a victim, other than walking back to get her umbrella alone. Indicates, either a predator on the hunt or an opportunity he couldn't pass up, perhaps a little of both.

My feeling is it was more an opportunity he couldn't resist.

As is the case in most abduction murders, I think he lives or works near where she was abducted, or has an otherwise legitimate reason for being around there.

Has a history of crimes, involving children around the same age bracket .

Again if the letters are authentic, and the sex toy evidence is actually related, I feel you are looking at a true Pedophile.

Its important to establish that there is a distinction between the term "Child Molester", and "Pedophile"

-A Child molester: is ANYONE who has sexual contact with an under age child, that being said these are individuals who DO NOT have a prescribed sexual preference for children. The Child victim is merely an expression of situational factors in the offenders immediate life, these are sometimes referred to as "Situational" Offenders

-A Pedophile: is an individual with a defined, sexual preference for children. Pedophilia is defined in the DSM -IV. hence it is also a clinical diagnosis . their sexual desires are usually governed by a specific age group, though a child that may not be of their preferential age, can be substituted, if they appear so. So Appearance is a major determining factor in sexual arousal for the pedophile. These individuals are often referred to as "Preferential" Offenders.

Therefore its important to note that not all child molesters are pedophiles, in fact the vast majority of those who do molest children DO NOT have a defined sexual preference for them, they are merely a reflection of situational factors surrounding the offender at a given time.
By the same token, not all pedophiles molest children, as hard as it is to believe. Sometimes they can get by with fantasy, child *advertiser censored*, and adult substitution, primarily if the offender can find a partner who resembles their preferred age group.

Ok Sorry for the lesson.

So you have a 9 yo girl, low risk, would be high risk for an offender,(predator vs. opportunity) who abducts a child in broad daylight, rapes her , possibly using sex toys, Murders her by suffocating her, then taunts random people because of it .

Then threatens another child by sending pictures, of his lower half, used condoms, etc...

I think you are most likely looking at a highly fixated (preferred age group) pedophile, with another type of personality disorder on top of it.

there are 3 types of preferential offender identified by former FBI agent Kenneth Lanning (the model for this has changed recently to better explain the molestation process) , however these typologies still apply

In order of MOST prevalent to least of the preferential (Pedophile) typologies

Seduction type: Jerry Sandusky, for example, is someone who desires a sexual relationship with a preferred age group. This is the type who molests, constantly, and is almost always in the process, of grooming more victims. this type has the ability to molest hundreds of victims over the years, (50-150) on average before they are caught. He will often deliberately seek out places, or activities, that will grant him access to children (Coach, scout leader, etc..)
-However this type usually has access to victims, and because of this usually DOESNT abduct children (he doesn't need to)

Introverted Type: Remember the creepy old man mom told you about hanging out at the playground?? (This is the best description of this type of offender) . Basically a social incompetent with a sexual preference for children. He lacks the interpersonal skills to actually seduce a victim (as the Seduction type). He is usually limited to acts such as exposing himself to children. He will frequent playgrounds, hang around school yards, or anywhere children can be found. Because they are socially inept they may even molest children of their own.

Sadistic: Offender who has a sexual preference for children, however, arousal and sexual satisfaction cannot be gained, without inflicting either psychological, or physical torture to their victim. This isn't always physically evident as psychological torture, can also serve the sadist. thos is sometimes refereed to as "Muted "Sadism, where physical torture is considered "overt" Sadism This is the most likely of all 3 pedophile typologies, to abduct and kill a victim its also the most rare of all 3 .

In EXTREME cases, the torturous slow death of the victim becomes part of the offenders, arousal/gratification process, where not only does pain and suffering fuel the offender, but equally important becomes, the process, of slowly/painfully killing the victim, these individuals are referred to as "Mysopeds" . (some examples would include Wesley Allen Dodd/ Richard Edward Duncan)

They didn't list any evidence of torture, to the victim, she wasn't beaten, or even killed in a manner that one would expect from a sadistic offender, so Im going to rule out the Sadistic/Mysoped types.

The seductive type Pedophiile usually has constant access to his victims hes constantly grooming one after the other, hes got what he needs, though there have been cases, where Seduction pedophiles, for some odd reason have turned sadistic... But these types again don't need to abduct

That leaves your introvert- Her killer most likely has a history of crimes, involving children. They are going to reflect things like indecent exposure (sending pictures of his genitals). Possibly fondling or frotteurism (rubbing against unsuspecting children) . He'll frequent playgrounds, swimming pools, carnivals, youth sporting events, etc.. anyplace he can find kids . Fast food restaurant play areas provide a good place for them to observe their desired type, because they can do so under the guise of simply patronizing the establishment.

If involved with anyone, they'll most likely have a inkling about his sexual inclinations. If they have children may have a suspicion (or knows outright) he has molested them as well. But for whatever reason may choose, NOT to disclose that though. One common tactic pedophiles use, is to admit to an action , but deny the intent of ssuch action...."I touched her, but I was trying to hug her", things like that.

Unattended children will attract his attention as will any child within his prescribed age group, he may try to make conversation with a child he desires. And sometimes, they will let an inappropriate statement fly ("Shes hot ", etc..). When questioned, hell usually respond that he "loves kids" , and will refer to them as "Pure" or "Angelic"

Adults may see him as odd or goofy, and he will often do his best to avoid interaction with them .

Will collect pictures, from media, or ones, he takes himself , circular ads, magazine pictures.. anything depicting what turns him on, usually has a collection of such items, as well as child *advertiser censored*.

When an offender abducts and murders a victim, though it certainly puts him at a higher risk to re-offend, this isn't always the case. Sometimes, the offender may find enough sexual satisfaction in activities other than actually abducting another victim to placate, the urge to do so again.

So things like voyeurism, "flashing", fondling a child, showing children obscene materials, or in this case sending them should be taken into consideration.

I hadn't read about this case before. How very sad. :(

Please don't get the impression I'm trying to defend the killer, as I think he should hang high for his crimes when he is brought to justice, but something came to mind as a possible explanation for why he sent out the notes in 2004.

If his only intention was to get media attention he could have driven around, found a few houses with play equipment and toys on the lawn to suggest children lived there, and planted the notes. But a girl in his target age range actually lived at each house, meaning he probably had been stalking them before he left the notes. He must have known that after leaving the notes, the girls' parents would watch them like hawks afterward, meaning his chance to actually victimize those particular girls was gone.

Could he actually have been trying to stop himself from killing again, having realized he'd become obsessed with these particular girls and done maybe the only thing he could to keep them from himself? Granted, I can't think of a more creepy way to "warn" someone than to send her condoms and nude photos but this might have been the only way he thought in his warped mind that he could warn anyone.

Again, I'm not defending the guy and I hope he rots in jail, but the possibility came to mind.

No, my theory would be that he stalked the little girls but never had the chance to abduct them (without getting caught). He eventually got impatient and moved on but leaving the notes was his way of throwing a temper tantrum.

BTK did that with one woman who he waited around all night for, but she never came home and thus lived.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back