Found Deceased IN - Carson Hughes, 18, Versailles State Park, Versailles 15 Mar 2024

@MaxLewisTV
#UPDATE: A spokesperson for the DNR tells me they still have not located Carson Hughes. Search will be called off at dark and will resume tomorrow morning at 7.
7:20 PM · Mar 16, 2024

#NEW: Search will resume this morning for 18 y/o wildlife photographer Carson Hughes. He disappeared inside Versailles State Park on Friday afternoon in southeastern Indiana. His vehicle was found unlocked with keys still in it near the boat ramp and his kayak on the water nearby

1710718280988.png

10:20 AM · Mar 16, 2024

A search was conducted on land and water near where his vehicle was found using thermal and side-scan sonar technologies. However, the search was suspended last night due to darkness and unsafe search conditions.

Anyone with info is urged to call the Indiana DNR at 812-837-9536.

1710718327888.png

10:20 AM · Mar 16, 2024 from Indianapolis, IN

@812now

The extensive search effort for 18-year-old Carson Hughes continues Sunday afternoon:
https://812now.com/post/extensive-search-for-carson-hughes-continues

1710718590438.png
3:06 PM · Mar 17, 2024

Multiple agencies, non-profits and volunteers have been searching for the teenager for over 48 hours now.

There is a significant number of resources and equipment coming in and out of the park as part of the ongoing efforts. The park is currently still open; however, the primary search area is closed to the public.

5 hours ago

I have nothing at all to add in thoughts on the search but I feel compelled to post to say:

What an incredibly gifted, cool, interesting, naturalist kid.

And what a loss to us all if he’s gone, though he is in nature, as he loves.

Earlier X reports:

18-year-old Carson Hughes, of Osgood, is missing at Versailles State Park. There is a large search operation to locate him. Jac-Cen-Del High School has opened their doors to anyone for a prayer vigil tonight. (No set time, doors are open now)Carson is a Jac-Cen-Del student and a photographer whose work was featured on our very first 812 magazine cover in January. Please join us in praying for his safe return.

Search suspended for the night for Carson Hughes at Versailles State Park. Read more here: https://812now.com/post/search-for-carson-hughes-suspended-for-the-night

There is a large police and volunteer search underway for Carson Hughes at Versailles State Park. Among the volunteers, is Sophia Sullivan who has an injured knee and on crutches. Sophia is a classmate of Carson at Jac-Cen-Del.

The extensive search for 18-year-old Carson Hughes continues at Versailles State Park as of 4:30 p.m. on Saturday. The 812 will provide more updates when information is made available.

https://twitter.com/812now/status/1769099132818403643

A prayer vigil and community gathering for Carson Hughes will take place at 7:30 p.m. tonight at Jac-Cen-Del High School . Superintendent Sam Melton said this is available for both students and community members.

https://twitter.com/812now/status/1769118647295906108

@krizia_williams

"This is worse than a funeral," one search volunteer shared. An Indiana Conservation Officer said hundreds of volunteers and multiple different agencies have come out to search. He said Carson Hughes is very well known and an incredibly talented photographer.
@WCPO

HAPPENING NOW: Almost 72 hours in a search for 18-year-old Carson Hughes continues.

WHAT WE KNOW: He hasn’t been seen since Friday and 1:30 pm that day Indiana Conservation Officers found his…

- car unlocked
- keys inside
- his shirt
- camera gear.
- kayak in the water

It is so incredibly sad. What an amazingly talented young man. How deep is that body of water and have they been able to send down divers with sonar? It seems that perhaps given the camera and tripod setup he was setting up a selfie type of video or still shot and his kayak capsized and he wasn’t able to make it back to the shore for whatever reason.

Here is a snapshot of some of his work:

bfed6a_86e569a7d63945d598ab02e83a8fa2ee~mv2.jpg

bfed6a_a9c2da99807b46e88fd6aacb97b86951~mv2.jpg

bfed6a_b8cc6ed6c5ea4d47b287f25675f6c9a6~mv2.jpg

Carson also was a member of the Jac-Cen-Del basketball team and planned to go to Purdue next year.

While this is nothing short of a tragedy, one blessing that Carson gave is showing how special Southeast Indiana is.

So tragic. I wonder if he had a medical emergency.
I wonder why his camera was on a tripod on land if he was in the kayak on the water. He was a creature of habit and probably went to this area all the time. I just hope nothing sinister happened. Kind of confused as to him drowning. Didn't he know how to swim? If he fell in he couldn't just hold onto the kayak to get to shore?

I wonder why his camera was on a tripod on land if he was in the kayak on the water. He was a creature of habit and probably went to this area all the time. I just hope nothing sinister happened. Kind of confused as to him drowning. Didn't he know how to swim? If he fell in he couldn't just hold onto the kayak to get to shore?
How do you know he was a creature of habit?
I hope someone who reads about his death will realize how easy it is to drown and will take lifesaving precautions, especially when alone in the water. Knowing how to swim does not mean you can survive cold water shock, or swim when wearing heavy clothes/shoes. Thinking you cannot capsize in a canoe, don't need a life jacket or will be able to grab onto the canoe/boat are deadly mistakes.
What a terrible loss of life, we lost an 18-year-old too, it's just devasting.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back