Found Deceased IN - Carson Hughes, 18, Versailles State Park, Versailles 15 Mar 2024

I wonder why his camera was on a tripod on land if he was in the kayak on the water. He was a creature of habit and probably went to this area all the time. I just hope nothing sinister happened. Kind of confused as to him drowning. Didn't he know how to swim? If he fell in he couldn't just hold onto the kayak to get to shore?
All it takes is to hit your head. Same reason you are not supposed to swim in the pool alone no matter how shallow

How do you know he was a creature of habit?
I hope someone who reads about his death will realize how easy it is to drown and will take lifesaving precautions, especially when alone in the water. Knowing how to swim does not mean you can survive cold water shock, or swim when wearing heavy clothes/shoes. Thinking you cannot capsize in a canoe, don't need a life jacket or will be able to grab onto the canoe/boat are deadly mistakes.
What a terrible loss of life, we lost an 18-year-old too, it's just devasting.
The creature of habit statement comes from I believe he probably went to this place often for photos. Social media posts telling everyone where you are or where you plan on going should not be done. Too many EVIL people in this country. JMO.

Okay. Still doesn't explain why his camera and tripod were on land. Wonder if we'll hear anything else on this case.
I wonder if he was setting up a selfie still or video. There are some photographs of him on his various sites, that could have been taken by someone else, but that also could have been taken by him as a selfie (with his camera on a timer setting).

The creature of habit statement comes from I believe he probably went to this place often for photos. Social media posts telling everyone where you are or where you plan on going should not be done. Too many EVIL people in this country. JMO.
As it stands now, there is zero indication that this is anything but a tragic accident. I also don't believe in posting locations online but far more dangerous is being in and around water without precautions, as most murders are not from a murderer seeing where a person is from a social media post then going to that location to kill them. I don't get what the concern is about the camera set-up, it seems clear he was in the middle of a photo shoot. Do you really think a water-soaked person in heavy clothing can just get out of the water? Please don't let your loved ones take risks like this.

How do you know he was a creature of habit?
I hope someone who reads about his death will realize how easy it is to drown and will take lifesaving precautions, especially when alone in the water. Knowing how to swim does not mean you can survive cold water shock, or swim when wearing heavy clothes/shoes. Thinking you cannot capsize in a canoe, don't need a life jacket or will be able to grab onto the canoe/boat are deadly mistakes.
What a terrible loss of life, we lost an 18-year-old too, it's just devasting.
If I’m reading your post correctly, you lost an 18 year old child, and I just wanted to say I’m extremely sorry for your loss.

Okay. Still doesn't explain why his camera and tripod were on land. Wonder if we'll hear anything else on this case.
I'm a photographer. It's not unusual for me to set my camera up on shore to take shots of us canoeing, I use a remote shutter release. My husband will also set his GoPro a distance down a trail to get footage of us hiking. A couple of years ago I watched a kid body surfing in Lake Ontario, he had a camera setup on the beach to record himself. It's a really common thing.

If he was using one of the kayaks where you sit on top, he could have easily tipped if he dropped something in the water and was reaching for it.

MOO.

I'm a photographer. It's not unusual for me to set my camera up on shore to take shots of us canoeing, I use a remote shutter release. My husband will also set his GoPro a distance down a trail to get footage of us hiking. A couple of years ago I watched a kid body surfing in Lake Ontario, he had a camera setup on the beach to record himself. It's a really common thing.

If he was using one of the kayaks where you sit on top, he could have easily tipped if he dropped something in the water and was reaching for it.

MOO.
I'm not at all familiar with types of kayaks, but when I saw this photo, my first thought was that it looked prone to tipping...

1710794252525.png

I've capsized in a canoe before and it's scary. I've also had many close calls in a kayak. Water currents and just water alone is not something to be taken lightly. Being out on the water is its own kind of beauty and gives me peace of mind, but never to be taken lightly.

Don't know what happened to Carson, but so very sad for his loved ones.

Update published Monday, March 18 at 2:24 PM:

An autopsy on Carson Hughes was completed this morning, and the preliminary cause of death was determined to be probable cold-water drowning. No other evidence of injury was present.

The final autopsy report and cause of death are pending toxicology results.

1710817257191.png

Carson Hughes was known for his wildlife photography. Jac-Cen-Del High School, where Hughes was a student, remembered him Monday by showcasing his photos and art on its school sign.

Updated: 23 hours ago

Jason said his son started selling photos at a festival booth last year. He quickly sold out in three to four hours with an extra 20 orders to fill.

After he died, Jason looked in his wallet and found a note.

“It says smart goal, to reach 10,000 followers on Wildlife Photography Account.”

Following his death, people began sharing his work online. His account has more than 20,000 followers. Jason said his son would have been thrilled.

“He would actually do somersaults,” Jason said. “His goal is to get his art, his photos out to the world.”

Carson's funeral is today. I'm sure there are so many loved ones and classmates grieving his loss. The service is being held in the gymnasium at Jac-Cen-Del High School in Osgood.

Meanwhile, the Delaware Volunteer Fire Department raised $24,250 for the Carson Hughes Memorial Fund at their Friday evening fish fry.

A total of 1,442 meals were served in a three-hour period.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back