IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I agree with you that most boyfriends, husbands, lovers are POIs from the get go, they are usually turned suspect or eliminated by way of evidence pointing to another source, POI. He alleges he was sleeping, per his roommate's, yet his roommate was sleeping as well. IMO, there must be more compelling evidence against JW to qualify him as a POI after a house, car, person search and polygraph. LE investigations are usually meant to narrow down the focus to the actual murderer, wrongdoer, person hiding the body, yet it seems to me that they aren't eliminating JW, even after passing a polygraph....

There must be more compelling evidence against JW to qualify him as a POI? Every name that has been mentioned publicly is a POI -- by BPD's very definition. And not one has been cleared.

There must be more compelling evidence against JW to qualify him as a POI? Every name that has been mentioned publicly is a POI -- by BPD's very definition. And not one has been cleared.

I don't think being a POI in this case means much of anything - there are still ten and IIRC none of them have been "cleared."

I agree. Yet, no one has been named a "suspect." Only named "POI"s. Hmmm....

Good morning! Websleuths virgin here, been following these threads for weeks now and I have learned SO much from you guys about drugs, cellphones, ploygraphs, etc. First let me say thank you very much.

This question is for those of you that reside in Bloomington...

Rumor from the PT board has it that there are no flyers of Lauren posted around campus anymore. Is this the case?

:wagon: thanks for joining the discussion!!

Good morning! Websleuths virgin here, been following these threads for weeks now and I have learned SO much from you guys about drugs, cellphones, ploygraphs, etc. First let me say thank you very much.

This question is for those of you that reside in Bloomington...

Rumor from the PT board has it that there are no flyers of Lauren posted around campus anymore. Is this the case?

Not true. Still see fliers several places around campus.

I agree. Yet, no one has been named a "suspect." Only named "POI"s. Hmmm....
LE uses the term POI in place of suspect because of the implications the phrase suspect carries. POI can refer to possibly having knowledge LE needs, where a suspect infers the person does have some connection to a crime. In the 1996 Olympics bombing in Atlanta, the FBI released the name of a suspect. When this suspect was later cleared, he turned around and sued all the media outlets that used his name as a suspect. One media outlet was said to have paid 500,000 dollars in a out of court settlement. So in cases nowadays they do not clear POI or elevate POI into suspects, they just arrest them when they have enough evidence.

"Officially, "person of interest" means..well, nothing. No one has ever formally defined it — not police, not prosecutors, not journalists. The terms "accused," "allege," "arrest" and "indict" all are dealt with in the Associated Press Stylebook, but there is no listing for "person of interest."

http://www.ajr.org/Article.asp?id=4042

Actually, I think that video helped CR's image. The news report itself doesn't paint him in the best light, but unlike the other POIs at least he addressed the media in a polite way, showed his cooperation and expressed concern and sympathy for Lauren and her family -- This is the least I would expect from all of them, but this hasn't been the case.

Thanks! Not much to ascertain here, I guess, except that CR looks a little like a d-bag wearing a hot pink polo shirt and sunglasses on his head to submit DNA to LE for the case involving his recently missing friend. JMO, lol.

Obviously their wardrobe selections aren't the worst decisions these Faktards have made.

There's proof enough that he lied about the amnesia... Why would you submit to DNA testing unless you we're absolutely positive no sexual activity went down.. I mean anyone with half a brain would not consent to DNA unless they truly knew they were innocent, which one would have to remember the were innocent!

Based on MBs statements that he put CR to bed when they got back, the only place that they (CR and LS) could have had sex was in the alley or on the elevator. That's assuming that MB is telling the truth.

CR wouldn't have to remember this. By the time he submitted to DNA testing, the timeline was established and mostly released by LE.

We know that the CR/JR/MB crew are still in the watchful eye for the mere fact that Lauren was there and apparently JR saw her leave. Then we have the ones involved in the Smallwood altercation. What we don't know is WHO is on that video that they are keeping mum on. IIRC, the apts of JR and CR/MB were searched as well as JW's house. I'm sure LS's apt was searched as well. I have not heard of any other searches but I may be wrong. Were AB, ZO, DR and AA's apts or homes searched?

IMO, JW went looking for his girlfriend that night. IMO, he talked to HT who filled him in on Lauren making some poor choices that night and since he was unable to reach her by phone, he went by foot or car.

In my opinion, being one of the last known people to see a missing person isnt a small thing. I put a lot more weight into the fact that someone was with a victim the night of their disappearance than a bunch of guess work that may or may not put someone at the scene. I understand IMO stands for in my opinion, but the reality of your opinion is that it is not based on anything except for a hunch. There is no evidence indicating anything you said. On the otherhand, there is fairly strong circumstantial evidence that suggests LS was using a heavy amount of drugs with the people she was actually with. The idea that we discount the idea of someone sleeping at 2:30 am just because we feel like doing so really doesnt make sense. If JW talked with HT that night law enforcement would know by now. HT was talking freely at the beginning of the investigation and she never once mentioned speaking with JW. Yet she did mention the 415 AM phone call and LS hanging out with JR.

Hello. First time poster here although I've been "lurking" and reading every thread since practically day one. I live in the town LS is from. I have barely slept since she "went missing" (as my 15 yo son put it when he told me about it that sat night June 4). I have been reluctant to post as I didn't reallyunderstand how this worked initially. I stumbled on this site as I searched for info in the early days of June. Since then I have spent countless hours and late nights reading here (and elsewhere) and I must commend the participants and especially the mods on the level of "professionalism" that exists here. It is head and shoulders above the rest. I work, so it is really hard to keep up, but I am finally current! The part of the story, once it came out, that has stuck with me, is JR's possible visiting friend, ided in some places as DB. I keep thinking that he's the missing link. No one was aware of him initially, he could have left that morning with "luggage" and driven off with that petite girl before anyone even knew something foul was afoot. Does anyone else feel this way?

LE uses the term POI in place of suspect because of the implications the phrase suspect carries. POI can refer to possibly having knowledge LE needs, where a suspect infers the person does have some connection to a crime. In the 1996 Olympics bombing in Atlanta, the FBI released the name of a suspect. When this suspect was later cleared, he turned around and sued all the media outlets that used his name as a suspect. One media outlet was said to have paid 500,000 dollars in a out of court settlement. So in cases nowadays they do not clear POI or elevate POI into suspects, they just arrest them when they have enough evidence.

This is partial truth, at best. Just google the phrase "suspect named" and you will find plenty of suspects who are indentified by LE. POI is also used when LE simply does not know who is involved, but has an idea of who they likely need to talk to. If you falsely imprison anyone these days you can expect a lawsuit. It doesnt matter what you call them.

Hello. First time poster here although I've been "lurking" and reading every thread since practically day one. I live in the town LS is from. I have barely slept since she "went missing" (as my 15 yo son put it when he told me about it that sat night June 4). I have been reluctant to post as I didn't reallyunderstand how this worked initially. I stumbled on this site as I searched for info in the early days of June. Since then I have spent countless hours and late nights reading here (and elsewhere) and I must commend the participants and especially the mods on the level of "professionalism" that exists here. It is head and shoulders above the rest. I work, so it is really hard to keep up, but I am finally current! The part of the story, once it came out, that has stuck with me, is JR's possible visiting friend, ided in some places as DB. I keep thinking that he's the missing link. No one was aware of him initially, he could have left that morning with "luggage" and driven off with that petite girl before anyone even knew something foul was afoot. Does anyone else feel this way?

:welcome: Glad you came to join our little :pillowfight2:

We haven't spoken much about JR's visistor. I, for one, have a little trouble indicting him. I think the fact that he tweeted about breakfast quite innocently later that morning (meaning he was still in town, and seemingly not upset) went a long way to convince me he wasn't involved. BUT, that same tweet made others more suspicious of him.
In any case, so far other than a few rumors, we really don't know very much about him, or his involvement. We aren't even really sure that he was in fact staying with JR, since HT never named anyone. I do think he's the likely guest, but as soon as I heard about him and saw his tweet I started feeling less convinced of his involvement, and that of JRs.

The part of the story, once it came out, that has stuck with me, is JR's possible visiting friend, ided in some places as DB. I keep thinking that he's the missing link. No one was aware of him initially, he could have left that morning with "luggage" and driven off with that petite girl before anyone even knew something foul was afoot. Does anyone else feel this way?

Hey fellow WS virgin! Yes! I, too, think DB is an accomplice.

What if it wasn't DB? I don't know why HT would have said JR had a friend visiting if he didn't, so where is this friend I want to know? Where was he later that day as this group became widely aware that LS was missing? Since I heard there was a visitor I have felt this person was involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea