IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think this case is frustrating to wsers on a lot of levels. most pressing is that we really haven't gotten any new information in a long time.

we do continue to rehash the same statements, reports, ideas, and theories over and over. this case isn't going to be solved with what we currently know and, based on it not being solved, i'm guessing it's not going to be solved with what le currently knows.

that's certainly frustrating because it SEEMS so solvable. we have a popular young woman go missing in the middle of a busy town with at least twenty people who saw her at various points the night she went missing. on top of that we have several stories and accounts that don't mesh well together. it seems like an easy nut to crack, but apparently not.

someone is going to have to discover or remember something that we don't currently know in order to figure this one out.

akh said:
In this case a lack of information doesn't mean there's a lack of evidence pointing in any number of directions.

Sure, but obviously we can only talk about the evidence we do know about (?). Based on the information we actually have, the investigation has focused on the people who have been named POI.

They've obviously 'talked' though with investigators.

Yes (well, except Rossman due to his "amnesia"). But there is no indication that the discrepancies and holes in the stories they have told have been cleared up. Last we heard, the investigators had this to say:

The Spierers’ private detectives, who have interviewed more than 100 people, have questioned nearly all of the “persons of interest” since they were hired by the family, with the exception of Rossman.

But they’re not satisfied with the ones who have talked. All of them have retained lawyers.

“A lot of those stories don’t line up, and there’s a lot of conflicting statements,” Dietl said. “Absolutely they were holding back information.”
http://www.lohud.com/article/20120603/news02/306030045?nclick_check=1

I don't see any post where anyone has said the boys are "guilty" (of what?) or that they haven't talked. What has been said is that they did not fully cooperate with the investigation and their stories don't add up. This is based on what has been reported and the statements from the investigators and witnesses who we are basing our knowledge of this case on.

Beyond that, we can only guess.

i think this case is frustrating to wsers on a lot of levels. most pressing is that we really haven't gotten any new information in a long time.

we do continue to rehash the same statements, reports, ideas, and theories over and over. this case isn't going to be solved with what we currently know and, based on it not being solved, i'm guessing it's not going to be solved with what le currently knows.

that's certainly frustrating because it SEEMS so solvable. we have a popular young woman go missing in the middle of a busy town with at least twenty people who saw her at various points the night she went missing. on top of that we have several stories and accounts that don't mesh well together. it seems like an easy nut to crack, but apparently not.

someone is going to have to discover or remember something that we don't currently know in order to figure this one out.

Very true.

It's possible LE has a good case but can't move forward with arrests until they find Lauren. It's also possible they don't. But now that I've spent a couple of years on WS and browsed through different stories a bit, it seems cases are often solved or go to trial years after a person goes missing. This gives me hope... that Lauren will be found, that someone will have the courage to tell the truth, that an overlooked piece of evidence will be looked at with fresh eyes... Something will give.

I'm not giving up but I'm reminding myself of the disappearances and murders of two local women: Jill Behrman and Crystal Grubb.

LE has not solved Crystal's case. Rumor has it they know who did it but they don't have evidence. There is little mystery, little that is unknown about her murder. The suspects are local yahoo meth users. I doubt they had the connections and finances to hire big-time lawyers yet somehow they have eluded LE.

In Jill's case, it took six years to make a conviction--one that is still debated locally due to the how the case was handled. Based on my own sampling and conversations there are two camps: Those who knew Jill's family are content with the conviction; everybody else thinks they got the wrong guy. I personally don't have a position.

Sorry to say this might be a long haul and even when it's over, there could be lingering doubt. (But dear god, at least couldn't you point to where she could be found? :please:)

Why would they leave her right where she was? What would be consistent with what was happening say the 30 minutes before LS last known whereabouts? We know that CR was propping her up and carrying her. Is there any doubt about that? So if she falls face down into gravel without blocking with her hands (as though she is out cold) what would you expect CR to do? Her wallet/purse are found some 20 to 30 feet from that fall spot. Do you think she crawled there? Cartwheeled there perhaps? Or is it more likely that CR carried her there? Then it's something like 2 to 3 times that distance over to the dumpster. Was she maybe dancing her way towards 5N then? Or was it again more likely that CR was carrying her and something happened? Why on earth would CR just leave her there and go to bed if she were dead? Obviously he would know that he would be the last person to be seen with her (if not thinking about cameras, certainly the people at SW would remember him!!)... a bit too early for Amnesia to be kicking in. There is no sense at all that he would just leave her there by the dumpster when it clearly would point to him. If he were going to do that, he would have needed to call 911... and we have been around and around at why they chose not to do that. So there aren't a lot of options... you either do the right thing and call 911 or pass the buck or ditch the body. Seems the buck was passed and that left JR with the decision to call 911 or ditch the body.

But sure it is possible that CR did make it back to 5N with LS and then she died and they brought her back to that dumpster area. It just seems less likely to me. The reason I think this is that if you were going to bring her down deceased (in whatever) it would make sense to just put her directly into a vehicle or cart her off (in whatever - like some luggage has wheels, some coolers have wheels, some golf club bags have wheels, back packs would not look odd, etc... ) Taking the cadaver hit at the dumpster as Credible and Real makes it much more likely (to me) that she never made it back to 5N.

This is also a crucial timeframe (post Alley Cam but before 3:30 call from MB to JR) There never has been any mention of CR using his own phone at all this night. MB, JR, DR, DB, and LS all had some sort of known phone activity. Curious to me that CR didn't.

Maybe cr left her and her belongings in the alley NOT THINKING SHE WAS DEAD. later found to be deceased she was moved.

Cory could have dumped an only incapacitated Lauren in the alley.....with encouragement from JR and MB...Make it look like she passed out there.. Especially because he had already been "seen" with LS by ZO, JW's friend. She died in that alley. Find their drug/alcohol source and you will find the person that ultimately removed and hid her away.

I'm not Abbey, but I do agree that a rush to judgment does lead to some convictions of innocent people and while I do think your comments are definitely worthwhile to consider, I think some of this is too dismissive of what is (publicly) known.

Again, I don't think people are saying that the 5N boys have not talked period. I think a lot of people think they have been misleading/haven't provided all the information; i.e., they have provided at least some information that is true and/or appears to check out, but it seems like they haven't provided all of the relevant information.

Lawsuits are generally the least favorable option and most people try to avoid them. From what I remember, the Spierers did not file until the last possible moment before it would have been barred because of timing. I really think this should be considered with equal weight to your own assumption that the 5N boys have cleared the "fog" with authorities: It doesn't seem like the Spierers would file a lawsuit unless they really thought there were holes in the story/things weren't adding up.

I also think it is a minority of people that are absolutely certain that the 5N boys are culpable. There may be many that think they are probably culpable, but I think the public's perception would change if more information came to light.

Whether anyone likes it or not, LS' disappearance made national headlines and continues to pop up in the news every once in awhile. The boys from 5N appear to be decently well off and educated. While they may have talked to authorities to clear up the "fog," I think that is an assumption in and of itself as well. I am not so sure that they have, but I respect the fact that you think this and acknowledge it is a distinct possibility. However, the 5N boys are not limited to what is best for LS and could take steps to put statements out themselves.

LS is missing. These boys are educated, sophisticated adults with resources available to them. If they wanted to, they could do things to try to sway public opinion. While innocent people are unfortunately wrongly convicted, these boys have only endured the judgment of a skeptical public and, unlike those who are convicted, they have the freedom to try to do something about it right now. No, not everyone would believe them if they did put out a story to clear it all up and some would condemn them for whatever story they put out, but they have decided not to put out a story publicly, whatever their reasons.

I don't think it is wrong of the public to form opinions based on what has been publicly reported. They are only that: opinions. I do not think forming opinions on what is publicly reported is anywhere near as terrible as someone who is in fact wrongfully convicted of a crime he or she did not commit, and opinions can be changed with more information. I think most of us understand the media can be unreliable and even sometimes wrong, which is why I don't understand why you think so many people are "certain" of the guilt of the 5N guys. I think this is even more true here on WS, where people are constantly questioning what the media has put out.

I think all of us have come to care about LS and the Spierers for our own reasons and hope they find peace sooner rather than later. I think regardless of our opinions currently, we want to see whoever is responsible for her disappearance found out and convicted, whether it is the 5N crew, JW, or someone else entirely. All of us here are certainly not entitled to the information that LE has, and not even the information that the Spierers have, but people are going to form opinions on what is making the news regardless. I think it is the responsibility of those involved to speak out if they choose to (or not to).

To be sure, all of this is meant respectfully. It is always good to remember that many things are not 100% certain.

all window dressing aside, neither you nor Abbey know for a fact they did it. All guesses after CR and LS emerged from that alley are just that: logical guesses. I don't say that to diminish what they caused to happen. As MB
said, she asked to go home. He should have called her a cab. No doubt that she was intoxicated on film. But there is a great doubt in my mind whether she was too incapacitated to leave. As I've said, I've been a bar manager here.
Both cops and cabbies will tell stories of the antics of blacked out drinkers.
They go on long after they should be completely passed out.
She could have left, and they still could very much be involved. Doubting the popular scenario does not make them innocent. Someone is lying about the time frame, and that's what leads me to believe she left, and the fact that the people she an d CR had the altercation with lived a minute's walk from JR's and directly in her path home raises my suspicions. To not follow that line of thinking and question the entire story, not just the beginning and middle, is
thinking with blinders on, IMO.
I totally agree with Akh that while they want to bring Lauren back, the main objective LE has is to get all of them convictied. That's what they do. To be satisfied with the 5N being convicted while the others that were probably involved go free would not be an option if they know, or are almost certain, there was another set of perps. .
There was another rumor that among these POIs, and I'm not talking just the 5N POIs, there was a confidential informant. Someone involved in the SW altercation. This case is way more complicated than just od and disposal.
Call me crazy but I think they will solve this case. They are working against the kind of people who can throw money at this thing 24/7 and the detectives are working within a bureaucratic system that only has so much money and
manpower.
Regardless of how smart they think they are, they could be trapped by their
clean up guy. No way they hid Lauren on their own, unless Lauren was hidden on the way back to MI, there HAS to be a local involved. When they catch this
local, that's when the dominoes will fall and everyone else will get caught.
If someone helped dispose of Lauren, and wasn't involved in her death, they will get immunity for telling. I would think this person does not have the money to get himself out of trouble and really didn't cause her death. But, I wonder if anyone moved to MI during this time and is receiving largesse
from anyone within their circle? Like this J person.

LE and the PI's have stated that the time of the witness was wrong but that the witness existed. The other person's identity has been confirmed to be Corey Rossman. There are cameras there, and it's clear from the PI's report that at least some of this was captured on video surveillance.

So it seems most likely that the witness simply got the time wrong. Or, Tony Gatto's reporting was not accurate (like most of his reporting on Lauren's case).

Pretty sure this has been repeated at least 20 times now (and with the same people here).

Logic like the Pythagorean theorem using facts (like the lengths of the sides of a right triangle) yield a result(hypotenuse). If you know instead of a range of possible lengths for the sides then you get a range of possible results(for the hypotenuse).

If we throw out the FACTS in this case (like the statements made by the PI's, the published unretracted statements made by the POI's and LE, the map and proximity of the buildings, camera data that we are privy to) then sure anything is possible. But if we work with the FACTS or logically make DEDUCTIONS from those facts we see a different picture. And then when you apply human psychology to the POI's you get a clearer picture. And then when you apply readily available crime statistics you get support or challenges to this picture. If you had FBI administered polygraph data LE would also get support or challenge, but it's not fact.

If we believe JR is telling the truth then the incredibly unlikely possibilities become a little more possible AND the known facts do not make sense! If we believe JR is lying about LS leaving at 4:15... then the known facts fit extremely well, so well that except for no body it points to 5N POIs.
There are known facts (like the distance between 5N and SW, or camera footage) which are irrefutable. Then there are things like the cadaver dog hit which are UNCONFIRMED. If you put the irrefutable facts together with some of the unconfirmed facts the culpability still points at 5N POIs. The difference is that with for example the cadaver dog hit, you would see more likely WHERE she died, regardless of location it doesn't change where the finger is pointing.

Now, someone could argue that those of us who see the 5N POIs as responsible did this backwards... that we just don't like them and then pieced together the facts to support that theory. But that's not true. Most of us still here, have been here from the beginning and we explored everything. I certainly placed myself in their shoes. For me personally, the shift in facts implicating the 5N POI's from just POI's to PREPONDERANCE came after the PI's made their statements. The facts revealed by the PI's substantially narrowed the possibilities. Just from the known irrefutable facts that are public there is a PREPONDERANCE of culpability on the 5N POIs. That is why there is a civil suit going on between the Spierers and the POI's. Piecing together the facts that we have today there is nothing that makes sense except that JR is lying about LS leaving alive on her own two feet at 4:15.

It is very good to challenge "beliefs" and how the facts may be in conflict, statements in conflict, etc... so we can deduce the truth. Yet there is a point where some are saying the Earth is Flat and the others realize that it's an irregular sphere.
There simply is no fact consistent with the Earth being Flat here... And of course if someone can produce some facts support it, then very happy to reconsider it.

(snipped to focus on clean up guy)
Regardless of how smart they think they are, they could be trapped by their
clean up guy. No way they hid Lauren on their own, unless Lauren was hidden on the way back to MI, there HAS to be a local involved. When they catch this
local, that's when the dominoes will fall and everyone else will get caught.
If someone helped dispose of Lauren, and wasn't involved in her death, they will get immunity for telling. I would think this person does not have the money to get himself out of trouble and really didn't cause her death. But, I wonder if anyone moved to MI during this time and is receiving largesse
from anyone within their circle? Like this J person.

So if you were rich and powerful and thought this clean up guy might flip on you, maybe you would need to clean up the clean up guy?

You make a good point point here that if a local was involved the plot would thicken. It is very possible. However, what facts exist to support the idea that a local was involved with disposal? That second 4:15 call from JR's perhaps?

I agree with you that since LS has not been found that it would have been very difficult for CR, MB and/or JR to pull that off on their own and still maintain their stories. So, I'm with you on a clean up accomplice to JR. I'll also agree with you that at this point as far as public info is concerned we can only speculate about the clean up person(s). DB is a curious possibility.

Also, please elaborate on the apparently dysfunctional complexities that move the case beyond OD and disposal to something more intricate.
We are largely believing already that CR / MB / JR have some kind of pact, and here I'm agreeing that they very likely had help in disposal... so how much larger does the web get and why?

Cory could have dumped an only incapacitated Lauren in the alley.....with encouragement from JR and MB...Make it look like she passed out there.. Especially because he had already been "seen" with LS by ZO, JW's friend. She died in that alley. Find their drug/alcohol source and you will find the person that ultimately removed and hid her away.

That's an interesting statement. I'm not sure I quite understand. Let me know if I have this right:

Are you suggesting that CR left LS(alive) outside or brought her back out there rather than bringing her home just 2 blocks away at the insistence of JR/MB?

And then that someone from ZO's crew was watching and found her dead and disposed of her so they would not be implicated? And the reason for that being that they were a source of drugs and wanted to cover that up?

Maybe cr left her and her belongings in the alley NOT THINKING SHE WAS DEAD. later found to be deceased she was moved.

2 things about that...

1) if she were laying there by the belongings, dead, there should have been a dog hit there - maybe there was... hmm

2) 2 key pieces of her belongings are later mentioned by JR, her SW keycard and her fake ID. If she were deceased in the gravel lot, claiming later knowledge of those items at his apt would mean that JR knew she was deceased. JR also described LS's serious injuries while MB did not. So again if she were deceased in the lot AND JR saw her injuries then it means JR knew she was deceased.

Meh. The "fog" could have been cleared up pretty quickly by the guys at 5 N if they had not gone into hiding and had their lawyers (and others) give misleading information, and instead simply been forthcoming about what happened and the timeline in the hours leading up to Lauren's disappearance. If the statements by reporters, investigators, friends and neighbors were incorrect, it would have been very easy for them to make a simple statement or given one through their lawyers. If they could have cleared up some of the questions, this would have been in their own interest, and as the Spierers and LE stated early on -- allowed the investigation to move forward.

I agree that there is likely much evidence we don't know about since LE has mostly been silent, but it still seems that all we have are conflicting stories and a refusal to fully cooperate with the investigation from the people who were last with Lauren, and an investigation that from the beginning, has never seemed to focus anywhere else.

Well, it will be interesting to see if the POI finally give a coherent story or if they can't/ won't.

the POIs at 5N are too involved NOT to give a coherent story. Anything else is obstruction of justice.

That's an interesting statement. I'm not sure I quite understand. Let me know if I have this right:

Are you suggesting that CR left LS(alive) outside or brought her back out there rather than bringing her home just 2 blocks away at the insistence of JR/MB?

And then that someone from ZO's crew was watching and found her dead and disposed of her so they would not be implicated? And the reason for that being that they were a source of drugs and wanted to cover that up?

change " found" to "made" her dead and we just might agree on something

2 things about that...

1) if she were laying there by the belongings, dead, there should have been a dog hit there - maybe there was... hmm

2) 2 key pieces of her belongings are later mentioned by JR, her SW keycard and her fake ID. If she were deceased in the gravel lot, claiming later knowledge of those items at his apt would mean that JR knew she was deceased. JR also described LS's serious injuries while MB did not. So again if she were deceased in the lot AND JR saw her injuries then it means JR knew she was deceased.

2)BBM Actually, saying he saw them in his apt and then they were found
outside could also mean she was separated from them after leaving JR's.
Also about the Pythagoras right angle theory analogy, IMO, people are more like the Da Vinci depiction of man as a circle. Circles, rather than right angles, are
more mysterious, and this is a mystery. And we are indeed going around in circles. But within this mysterious circle your right angle triangle can exist.

Pretty sure this has been repeated at least 20 times now (and with the same people here).

Logic like the Pythagorean theorem using facts (like the lengths of the sides of a right triangle) yield a result(hypotenuse). If you know instead of a range of possible lengths for the sides then you get a range of possible results(for the hypotenuse).

If we throw out the FACTS in this case (like the statements made by the PI's, the published unretracted statements made by the POI's and LE, the map and proximity of the buildings, camera data that we are privy to) then sure anything is possible. But if we work with the FACTS or logically make DEDUCTIONS from those facts we see a different picture. And then when you apply human psychology to the POI's you get a clearer picture. And then when you apply readily available crime statistics you get support or challenges to this picture. If you had FBI administered polygraph data LE would also get support or challenge, but it's not fact.

If we believe JR is telling the truth then the incredibly unlikely possibilities become a little more possible AND the known facts do not make sense! If we believe JR is lying about LS leaving at 4:15... then the known facts fit extremely well, so well that except for no body it points to 5N POIs.
There are known facts (like the distance between 5N and SW, or camera footage) which are irrefutable. Then there are things like the cadaver dog hit which are UNCONFIRMED. If you put the irrefutable facts together with some of the unconfirmed facts the culpability still points at 5N POIs. The difference is that with for example the cadaver dog hit, you would see more likely WHERE she died, regardless of location it doesn't change where the finger is pointing.

Now, someone could argue that those of us who see the 5N POIs as responsible did this backwards... that we just don't like them and then pieced together the facts to support that theory. But that's not true. Most of us still here, have been here from the beginning and we explored everything. I certainly placed myself in their shoes. For me personally, the shift in facts implicating the 5N POI's from just POI's to PREPONDERANCE came after the PI's made their statements. The facts revealed by the PI's substantially narrowed the possibilities. Just from the known irrefutable facts that are public there is a PREPONDERANCE of culpability on the 5N POIs. That is why there is a civil suit going on between the Spierers and the POI's. Piecing together the facts that we have today there is nothing that makes sense except that JR is lying about LS leaving alive on her own two feet at 4:15.

It is very good to challenge "beliefs" and how the facts may be in conflict, statements in conflict, etc... so we can deduce the truth. Yet there is a point where some are saying the Earth is Flat and the others realize that it's an irregular sphere.
There simply is no fact consistent with the Earth being Flat here... And of course if someone can produce some facts support it, then very happy to reconsider it.

BBM. OT, but JSYK, there is a huge school of thought in the ancient history
sector that believes that the powers- that- be during the "earth is flat" time period knew irrefutably that the earth was a sphere. Keeping people in ignorance was their raison d'état. There are countless references in ancient tomes and scrolls preceding the catholic inquisition's particular bias that depict the spherical earth. Pythagoras, in his Music of the Spheres revelations and measurements was corresponding musical notes and the Greek alphabet to constellations and knew that planets and stars, thus earth, were spherical in nature.:twocents:

This is quite plausible and thanks for sharing. IMO JR and/or MB would need to be highly motivated to encourage CR to leave her in the alley. Indication of an OD or unconscious Lauren would have been enough to do that. CR could have been doing this when MB says he was in bed. If CR was in fact in bed, MB and JR could have done it for him.

I suspect Moses knew the world was round. After all, the ancient Greeks and Egyptians knew it was round. But, American schoolchildren have been taught a fairy tale written in the 1800s that ancients thought the world was flat until Columbus proved it was round.
Anyone who knows about Veritas whom the Greeks called ALETHÉIA should know the ancients knew our world was round.

Lauren was out with fraternity boys all by herself. And, we all have heard about frat boys. And they are wealthy. "Tired of rich boys getting away with crime!" says one.
Isn't there a legal term for this kind of judgement. Sure is, the word is prejudice.

We do not know if Lauren walked out of Jay Rosenbaum's or not. Could she walk? I've seen no proof that she was in a condition where the only way she could leave was on a stretcher.

So, comparing those who dare to jump off the bandwagon to kooks looking for bigfoot is kind of rude. By the way, Bloomington Indiana has more bigfoot sightings than many other parts of the US. And, I hear he is only in Bloomington in the wee hours and he is very camera shy.

And, just to top it off, many of those newspapers that did sensational stories on Lauren are today reporting that bigfoot has been killed in Texas. Don't believe everything you read.

I suspect Moses knew the world was round. After all, the ancient Greeks and Egyptians knew it was round. But, American schoolchildren have been taught a fairy tale written in the 1800s that ancients thought the world was flat until Columbus proved it was round.
Anyone who knows about Veritas whom the Greeks called ALETHÉIA should know the ancients knew our world was round.

Lauren was out with fraternity boys all by herself. And, we all have heard about frat boys. And they are wealthy. "Tired of rich boys getting away with crime!" says one.
Isn't there a legal term for this kind of judgement. Sure is, the word is prejudice.

We do not know if Lauren walked out of Jay Rosenbaum's or not. Could she walk? I've seen no proof that she was in a condition where the only way she could leave was on a stretcher.

So, comparing those who dare to jump off the bandwagon to kooks looking for bigfoot is kind of rude. By the way, Bloomington Indiana has more bigfoot sightings than many other parts of the US. And, I hear he is only in Bloomington in the wee hours and he is very camera shy.

And, just to top it off, many of those newspapers that did sensational stories on Lauren are today reporting that bigfoot has been killed in Texas. Don't believe everything you read.

BBM Wait a minute! while researching the AEPI website, I see that they end some of their blurbs with that word.But in Greek letters. And so do other frats. And it also means Veritas? Does Very Veritas mean very right? As in truth? that's what I thought veritas means. So ending a message with that could mean, "and that's the truth"?

The Greek god Atlas was portrayed with a globe on his shoulders. He carried the weight of the world.
Veritas was the Roman name for Alethea the Greek goddess of truth.

Anyway everyone is entitled to their opinions or suspicions. But, we do not yet know the truth.

This is quite plausible and thanks for sharing. IMO JR and/or MB would need to be highly motivated to encourage CR to leave her in the alley. Indication of an OD or unconscious Lauren would have been enough to do that. CR could have been doing this when MB says he was in bed. If CR was in fact in bed, MB and JR could have done it for him.

I think I am still trying to build this theory in my mind. Picture Lauren in bad shape when Cory drags her in after Kilroys. He is confronted by Zach Oakes, JW's friend. This confrontation could have scared him or pissed him off. He then takes Lauren to Mike Beth's and Jay R's too. They all decide that Lauren is way too wasted and maybe they assume Zach and friends may come back after them. They realize that they are ultimately responsible for whatever Lauren has in her system. They do not want to be responsible for whatever is in her system. They decide to put her in the alley making it look like she passed out there. Her belongings are nearby as well. They dump her there in a bad state. What happened to Lauren after they left her is a mystery so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500