GUILTY IN - Melinda Lindsey, 23, shot to death, Porter County, 16 Jan 2015 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know for certain that SL had no life insurance? He may have had a policy with his employer.

A couple of possibilities..if he was unemployed at the time but had life insurance through his previous employer, he could have kept the policy by continuing to pay the premiums. Or, he could have had life insurance through a union, if he belonged to one.

I'm not an expert, but I did look at a few sources on the recommended level of life insurance for a stay-at-home mom. It ranges from $350,000 to $450,000 which would cover the surviving spouse's expenses to replace the services she provides, which is valued at $35,000 to $45,000 a year.

Exactly. And since she was a dependent spouse (not working) many insurers also would cap the amount of coverage for the non-working spouse at 50% of what her spouse had on himself in life insurance coverage. The insurance companies do not often ask for proof of the amount of coverage of what the working spouse carries on his life. It is "self-reporting" i.e. what you state the amount of coverage they have when you complete the application and the insurance company relies on this information when they decide whether to issue the policy.

It is up to the underwriting dept, but the agent still has to sign the application. IMO, and again laws vary by state, the agent is the first line of defense against fraud. We were always trained to be on the lookout for anything suspicious. Melinda's policy would have triggered all kinds of alarm bells with the companies I used to work for.

Agreed. How this one apparently slipped through the cracks is pretty sad.

I thought that meant he would have to pay for whatever benefits he had out of his own pocket.

Yes, that is true but it is also common for some benefits such as long-term care insurance or life insurance policies to be portable and you take it with you if you pay the premiums. It's also a moot point because the insurance we know about was on Melinda and it really has nothing to do with any life insurance her husband may have.

JMO

Exactly. And since she was a dependent spouse (not working) many insurers also would cap the amount of coverage for the non-working spouse at 50% of what her spouse had on himself in life insurance coverage. The insurance companies do not often ask for proof of the amount of coverage of what the working spouse carries on his life. It is "self-reporting" i.e. what you state the amount of coverage they have when you complete the application and the insurance company relies on this information when they decide whether to issue the policy.

Just curious, if someone reports that the amount of coverage on the spouse is much higher than it actually is, does that automatically void the policy?

If Steve lied to Melinda about the amount of coverage he had on himself, causing her to miss-report on her policy application, would that void her policy?

Who wants to bet the reason Melinda didn't want him traveling involved another woman?

With all due respect to Starshine, she has stated several times she didn't really know Melinda. Her information is coming from what SL told his family and he has a reputation for lying.

If Steve lied to Melinda about the amount of coverage he had on himself, causing her to miss-report on her policy application, would that void her policy?
I don't think it would void the policy, it may have caused the company to reduce her death benefit to whatever it would have been based on the correct amount. It depends on the company.

A question for you...do you know if there are any industry standards or what the limits would be on the amount of life insurance on a 23 year-old stay-at-home mom? I am still flabbergasted at the $1.1 million amount. It doesn't make any sense that an insurance company would underwrite that high of an amount.

Each insurance company has their own specific underwriting criteria and their own thresholds of how much coverage they will issue. These guidelines are based on a person's health, age and mortality (expected age at death) and their financial situation. Insurance companies also carry reinsurance which caps the insurance company's exposure on any specific claim at a certain amount, and the reinsurance carrier has requirements as well that must be followed by the insurance company.

If you do a google search, you will be able to see a copies of numerous insurance company life insurance applications online. Just type in "individual life insurance application" and you can see the kind of questions that are asked. There are mostly very similar in nature.

As for the amount of coverage on Melinda's life - yes, it is extreme from my own experience. Someone asked if her potential future earnings have been taken into account. From my own personal experience - no. She was a stay-at-home mom when the policy was purchased. The amount of coverage that would have been necessary so that her family could have maintained their lifestyle would have been much less than $1,000,000. The life insurance application almost always requires disclosure of financial information and since she was a dependent spouse, this would have included financial info on her spouse, their assets, and they would likely have asked how much life insurance coverage he had on his life. Many carriers will cap the non-working spouse's benefit at 50% of what the working spouse carriers. Many carriers will not require "proof" of the working spouse's life insurance coverage or income. They take your word for it. But many will either run a credit report or consumer report to see if there are financial problems.

The idea behind life insurance is to "maintain" the lifestyle of your loved ones if you die. It is not to enrich them or to set you up to be murdered by your spouse. Insurance companies tend to be very careful about setting people up for murder by giving someone (the beneficiary) an incentive to do it.

In order to maintain her family's lifestyle if she died, he would have had to have hired a babysitter, someone to clean the house, shop for groceries, make meals, drive the child to school or activities, etc.

I'm not sure what happened here. Something went awry with the life insurance, IMO. The insurance company did not have accurate info, IMO. The reason I say this is because I've read about his periods of unemployment and I am about 99% certain that if he had life insurance coverage on his own life, it wasn't anywhere close to a $1,000,000. He could have maintained coverage through a Union during spells of unemployment, but he was a power lineman, and that is one of the most hazardous occupations. Insurance companies are unlikely to place a large amount of life insurance company on people who have hazardous occupations, even on a group basis. Why? Because they are more likely to be killed in a work-related accident.

Each insurance company has their own specific underwriting criteria and their own thresholds of how much coverage they will issue. These guidelines are based on a person's health, age and mortality (expected age at death) and their financial situation. Insurance companies also carry reinsurance which caps the insurance company's exposure on any specific claim at a certain amount, and the reinsurance carrier has requirements as well that must be followed by the insurance company.

If you do a google search, you will be able to see a copies of numerous insurance company life insurance applications online. Just type in "individual life insurance application" and you can see the kind of questions that are asked. There are mostly very similar in nature.

As for the amount of coverage on Melinda's life - yes, it is extreme from my own experience. Someone asked if her potential future earnings have been taken into account. From my own personal experience - no. She was a stay-at-home mom when the policy was purchased. The amount of coverage that would have been necessary so that her family could have maintained their lifestyle would have been much less than $1,000,000. The life insurance application almost always requires disclosure of financial information and since she was a dependent spouse, this would have included financial info on her spouse, their assets, and they would likely have asked how much life insurance coverage he had on his life. Many carriers will cap the non-working spouse's benefit at 50% of what the working spouse carriers. Many carriers will not require "proof" of the working spouse's life insurance coverage or income. They take your word for it. But many will either run a credit report or consumer report to see if there are financial problems.

The idea behind life insurance is to "maintain" the lifestyle of your loved ones if you die. It is not to enrich them or to set you up to be murdered by your spouse. Insurance companies tend to be very careful about setting people up for murder by giving someone (the beneficiary) an incentive to do it.

In order to maintain her family's lifestyle if she died, he would have had to have hired a babysitter, someone to clean the house, shop for groceries, make meals, drive the child to school or activities, etc.

I'm not sure what happened here. Something went awry with the life insurance, IMO. The insurance company did not have accurate info, IMO. The reason I say this is because I've read about his periods of unemployment and I am about 99% certain that if he had life insurance coverage on his own life, it wasn't anywhere close to a $1,000,000. He could have maintained coverage through a Union during spells of unemployment, but he was a power lineman, and that is one of the most hazardous occupations. Insurance companies are unlikely to place a large amount of life insurance company on people who have hazardous occupations, even on a group basis. Why? Because they are more likely to be killed in a work-related accident.
Was he always a power lineman? I seem to recall something about him being a contractor of some kind, but I may be wrong.

From what Melinda had told me last, Steve wasn't working any kind of steady job.

On a plus note, melindas mom got to see baby girl Friday!!!!!

&&& if all goes well I will get to join next time <3

As far as I know Melinda didn't have an issue with him traveling, from what I was told by her is HE didn't want to leave HER alone..

#JusticeForMelinda

Just curious, if someone reports that the amount of coverage on the spouse is much higher than it actually is, does that automatically void the policy?

No. Since the policy was in the contestable period, the insurance company would need to take an official position on what they want to do. Who the owner of the policy is does come into play. If it was SL, he would have been required to provide financial information as well as state the amount of life insurance coverage he had on his own life and sign the application. If he was not truthful, the insurance company might take the position that the contract was between the insurance company and SL (if he was the Owner) and deny the claim stating fraud or material misrepresentation.

But they haven't denied the claim, according to the Starshine4u. It is being "contested" and the insurance company is waiting until the trial is over to see if he is convicted. I believe in Indiana (slayer rule) that he must be convicted before they can determine he will not receive the proceeds. This leads me to believe that Melinda was the Insured AND the Owner.

This means that she would have completed the application on her own, with the agent. She had absolutely no reason to set herself up for murder by purchasing a huge amount of life insurance. She likely stated what she had been told by SL in terms of financial info as well as how much life insurance he had and I think that as this case moves forward through the court system, it is going to become very clear that she was doing as she was told to do to maintain peace in her marriage and that she she believed what he had told her and was a complete innocent and had no intent to defraud or misrepresent the insurance company.

This will likely become very complicated and the insurance company is obviously having heartburn over the policy, but they have not denied the claim. They are waiting. I think they are having some other issue with it and I can't help but feel (just my opinion) that it might possibly have something to do with the contingent beneficiary, who is the person to receive the proceeds if SL does not receive them due to a conviction.

All that said, without seeing everything, this is all pure speculation. I am just stating my own experience in the industry and the things I have seen happen in 30+ years.

From what Melinda had told me last, Steve wasn't working any kind of steady job.

As far as I know Melinda didn't have an issue with him traveling, from what I was told by her is HE didn't want to leave HER alone..

#JusticeForMelinda
I'm so happy she got to see her!! & that you will get to see her too.

Was he always a power lineman? I seem to recall something about him being a contractor of some kind, but I may be wrong.

I believe he was a power lineman at the time the life insurance was purchased.

#JusticeForMelinda

That is wonderful about her mom getting to see the baby. Hope you get to see her too, next visit.

He was probably a contractor in the sense that he was able to get short-term, temporary contracts to do the type of work he was fired from. Like when a bunch of lines go down due to a storm so the local power company hires temporary help to get them back up. He would have to travel to do those jobs, so he would be away from home most of the time when he was working. People like that are considered contractors because of the way they are paid. (1099 form vs W-2).

It sounds like he didn't jump at every opportunity to work, though.

I agree she had the ability to make huge amounts of money,

Wouldn't she have had to be actually working in the business at the time the policy was issued in order to be insured as though you are?

Melinda was absolutely beautiful. I agree. From my experience in the insurance business, the insurance company would have likely taken into consideration what she was doing for a living at the time she applied for the policy. She was a stay-at-home mom at that time.

I want to say we know he didn't. I believe it was brought up earlier by SetHerSoulFree that he wasn't insured, at least not through his employer because Melinda was threatening to leave him because he wasn't working.
He may have had his own policy, but wouldn't it be less expensive to merge them? Unless he had developed major health risks, that is.

My thoughts are he may have had some life insurance through a Union, if he belonged to one. But with his line of work being a hazardous one, I can't imagine the death benefit being very large because insurance companies tend to be careful about that. He just doesn't strike me as the type to maintain a life insurance policy on his own life, for someone else's benefit. I say this because he did not always honor his child support obligations, according to the Indiana Courts online and he also wasn't paying his rent according to Set Her Soul Free.

My thoughts are he may have had some life insurance through a Union, if he belonged to one. But with his line of work being a hazardous one, I can't imagine the death benefit being very large because insurance companies tend to be careful about that. He just doesn't strike me as the type to maintain a life insurance policy on his own life, for someone else's benefit. I say this because he did not always honor his child support obligations, according to the Indiana Courts online and he also wasn't paying his rent according to Set Her Soul Free.
My guess would be that he had life insurance while he was working full-time, but not after he was fired. Like you say, he didn't pay his child support or his rent. To think he would have continued to pay for life insurance on himself, for someone else's benefit should he die, is just not possible. According to public record, he was found in contempt of court in 2013. During 2014, two different lawyers filed motions on his behalf, and then asked to withdraw from the case. If I had to guess it would be because they didn't get paid. The man owed everybody.

I wonder if he didn't panic and kill Melinda because he wasn't paying for the policy on her either, and it was about to lapse.

Here are the kinds of financial questions that are asked on an individual life insurance application that is online. It is from a major life insurance company and is very typical of the kinds of financial questions that are asked so the insurance company can assess the finances of the proposed insured (person applying for coverage) and the owner (if not the proposed insured). Note, if the Owner of the policy is different from the Insured, the Owner must complete and sign their own section, providing their own specific responses to the questions. Also note the question about the amount of life insurance coverage in force on the proposed Insured's spouse/domestic partner.

* Annual Earned Income of the Insured and the Owner
* Annual Earned Interest/Other Assets
* Total Assets (Real Estate, Personal Property, 401K, Retirement, Cash
* Total Liabilities (Debt, Loans)
* Total Net Worth (Assets minus Liabilities)
* Has Bankruptcy ever been declared? If so, provide type of bankruptcy and the date of discharge.

Another question:
* How much life insurance is in force on the proposed Insured's spouse/domestic partner that is payable to the proposed insured or other dependent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cheyenne1060