In Touch article

Here are a few things from the article about Elizabeth Smart and Jaycee Dugard in In Touch magazine.

Jaycee is working with a "team of counselors" to help her get over everything she's been through.

While held prisoner she never saw a doctor and lived off TV dinners. After she war reunited w/her family her mother only gave her TV dinners at 1st because that's what she was used to, but now Terry is starting to cook for her too.
Jaycee has just discovered that she loves hot sauce.

The Garridos kept her in shackles -Makes me wonder if her daughters saw her kept in shackles.

She has started talking more about Garrido who behaved very strangely. Veering from violent rape to claiming he was a prophet and saying that he talked to Jesus through the box he carried around.

According to a family friend "Jaycee is not sitting in a corner crying now." "she's got her mother, her sister, and her daughters. They're all talking and the more they talk, the more they realize what sick man Garrido is."
She is also getting over her attachment to Garrido.

The computer composite pictures don't look anything like Jaycee. The conditions she had to live with have taken a physical toll on her. According to a family friend the composites "made her look like Christie Brinkley. Jaycee is a good-looking girl, but you can't even imagine what she looks like -it's not that. You're going to be shocked."
Carl Probyn said "she's not great, she's not line dancing ever night, but it's only been six weeks. She will be fine."

Thanks for the synopsis of this article! I find it encouraging. It sounds like all those involved took a slow approach, feeding Jaycee tv dinners as that's what she's been used to. Now that her mom is beginning to cook some homemade meals, she'll probably start looking forward to "what's for dinner."

I'm surprised that she was kept in shackles. I wonder if this was early on and discontinued after the two children were born, or has been a constant for the entire length of her captivity?

As far as how Jaycee looks, it's not surprising that she doesn't look like the composites. The primitive conditions she was kept in, lack of any sort of medical care, and stress, would all play a part in how she looks.

One of the things I think is most encouraging is the report that they - Terry, Jaycee, and the two girls, are talking and that Jaycee is getting over her attachment to PG. It sounds that the two girls are included in the discussion of PG and realize that he's a sick man. This means they understand a healthy, normal, relationship vs a sick relationship, and that's a good beginning. With a team of counselors helping them, I think they're in a good, positive environment and will eventually be okay.

I'm also glad to see a quote from Carl Probyn. It sounds like he is included as part of the family.

They had her in shackles. Oh my God. I didn't think it could get worse. We know he has access to newspapers and TV so all other prisoners do too. So, what are his chances of surviving in prison? I'm not normally a violent man but this animal is planning to force Jaycee to front up to a court and relive all this. As if he hasn't inflicted enough hurt on this girl. If he does not survive until the trial I will not be complaining or calling for an inquiry into his death.

As far as how Jaycee looks, it's not surprising that she doesn't look like the composites. The primitive conditions she was kept in, lack of any sort of medical care, and stress, would all play a part in how she looks.

In the early reports she was described as looking allmost the same as when she was kidnapped, and looking very young. The clients of the printing business who saw her described her as pretty. The age progressed picture was an estimated of age 25, while she is 29 now. So you would think that she would be showing at least some signs of age. Woman usually start to lose "youthful" appearance sometime in the twenties. Now this report seems to be suggesting that she looks plainer. Personally I didn't think that the age progressed picture would look much like her, her appearance varied quite widely in the pre-kidnapping photos. I thought she would probably look more like that video of her they released, except with somewhat heavier features (as you would expect comparing a juvenile face to an adult version). IMO video gives you a better feel for someone's appearance than still pictures, because you get to see a range of angles/expressions.

With all these different descriptions of her we probably won't really know until someone releases a current picture. A lot of it is probably in the eye of the beholder and the events/conditions unfolding at the time these various people actually saw her.

I'm surprised that she was kept in shackles. I wonder if this was early on and discontinued after the two children were born, or has been a constant for the entire length of her captivity?

I suspect that would have been early on. According to the DA she was kept in the backyard for the first 3 1/2 years. It was probably during that phase, perhaps longer, maybe until Angel was born. After that she would have been allowed in the house, where other people, such as Patricia, the business clients and anyone else that might have visited would have noticed.

Well no one knows how long or at what points she was shackled ,,but i would bet my last dollar he had her shackled up while he went on his vacation to SF, and any other time he was out roaming around in our society playing free and lose. And if it was for ONLY three and half years ...Can u imagine yourself shackled for that long ...its not something you can take lightly!! Eternal punishment for these types of people is not harsh enough imo

Doctors have peoples life or death in their hands and are sued for malpractice if they cause harm, maybe its time for people who allow animals like this to roam free in our society wrecking havoc on people as they go to have financial or legal responsibility for allowing these guys out on parole or giving light sentences etc. IMO its time.

Well no one knows how long or at what points she was shackled ,,but i would bet my last dollar he had her shackled up while he went on his vacation to SF, and any other time he was out roaming around in our society playing free and lose. And if it was for ONLY three and half years ...Can u imagine yourself shackled for that long ...its not something you can take lightly!! Eternal punishment for these types of people is not harsh enough imo

This article does not give a time period for when or how long she was shackled but it does make me wonder if Starlet and Angel ever saw her like that. Even if not, they saw that she wasn't leaving the house and going out with them on those outings. I think she may have been taken out a few times but it was rare.

Half the article is about Elizabeth Smart. When it got cold in Utah, the Mitchells took her to San Diego. It says that whe was afraid she'd never be saved in SD but she still believed that they were looking for her in Salt Lake City. So she convinced Mitchell to go back to SLC by telling him she had strong feelings about going back to SLC and that God wanted them to go back there. So they went back and sure enough someone saw them and you know the rest of the story.

I don't think the article is available online. Had to get it the old fashioned way, off the magazine rack.

that is the only way a Magazine can still sell.
Nothing goes on line till their new paper comes out.
this story will more then likely be on line in a week or so.
I saw that paper too.

This is true of all the tabloids: NO LINKS till it is old news.

According to a family friend the composites "made her look like Christie Brinkley. Jaycee is a good-looking girl, but you can't even imagine what she looks like -it's not that. You're going to be shocked."
"

Shocked is quite a striking word choice. Not surprised, SHOCKED. God, the horrors that she went through.

Shocked is quite a striking word choice. Not surprised, SHOCKED. God, the horrors that she went through.

Exactly...But the media is only dancing to feed a public frenzy and a tabloid money maker.
WE DO NOT know the truth about much.
I would not be surprise if she looked weather beaten, tattered, disheveled undernourished or whatever.
I am sure she is beginning to regain her Natural looks little by little.

Just like with Elizabeth Smart JC will let us all know what parts she wants us to know when she is ready.

I was so sad to learn that Elizabeth was raped at lest once a day every day (people magazine) :(
And that was 9 months.

What really happened to JC has to be a tear jerker;
I can not imagine how many tears her mom has still and always.
Amidst the joy there must be many tears. - my heart goes out to her :(
Strangers are crying - I cant imagin her mom. All we can do is pray for her.

I don't understand how they could have slept in those tents in the winter months. I couldn't get out of bed this morning because it was cold and I haven't lit my pilot light on my heater yet. It made me think of Jaycee and her girls and how bone-chilling cold the fog can be and especially as close to the delta as they were. Taking showers outside with only cold water has to be hard on the body.

my2sisters, I know what you mean. I had a toothache the other day and thought about how fortunate I was to be able to go to the dentist. Can you imagine no doctor care for almost 20 years? When I was 14, I was jamming to Rick Springfield and starting to really notice guys. Uh, not giving birth in a sound proof shed...gahhhhh.....

Exactly...But the media is only dancing to feed a public frenzy and a tabloid money maker.
WE DO NOT know the truth about much.
I would not be surprise if she looked weather beaten, tattered, disheveled undernourished or whatever.
I am sure she is beginning to regain her Natural looks little by little.

Just like with Elizabeth Smart JC will let us all know what parts she wants us to know when she is ready.

I was so sad to learn that Elizabeth was raped at lest once a day every day (people magazine) :(
And that was 9 months.

What really happened to JC has to be a tear jerker;
I can not imagine how many tears her mom has still and always.
Amidst the joy there must be many tears. - my heart goes out to her :(
Strangers are crying - I cant imagin her mom. All we can do is pray for her.

whats important now is that there together. and they are healing together. they lost a lot of time and jaycee lost so much more. but they will get thru this together :)

Thanks for the synopsis of this article! I find it encouraging. It sounds like all those involved took a slow approach, feeding Jaycee tv dinners as that's what she's been used to. Now that her mom is beginning to cook some homemade meals, she'll probably start looking forward to "what's for dinner."

One of the things I think is most encouraging is the report that they - Terry, Jaycee, and the two girls, are talking and that Jaycee is getting over her attachment to PG. It sounds that the two girls are included in the discussion of PG and realize that he's a sick man. This means they understand a healthy, normal, relationship vs a sick relationship, and that's a good beginning. With a team of counselors helping them, I think they're in a good, positive environment and will eventually be okay.

I'm also glad to see a quote from Carl Probyn. It sounds like he is included as part of the family.

just a guess but he most likely used the shackles for the early years and then in subsequent years when he feared she was 'out of line' or something.

i hope he rots in hell.

it does seem like carl is the unofficial family spokesman doesnt it.

Taking showers outside with only cold water has to be hard on the body.

Nope, it toughens you up ;) When I was in the army in basic training there was no such thing as hot water. It just gives you an incentive to make it snappy :)

They may not have showered all that frequently anyway given the rustic nature of their housing.

Nope, it toughens you up ;) When I was in the army in basic training there was no such thing as hot water. It just gives you an incentive to make it snappy :)

They may not have showered all that frequently anyway given the rustic nature of their housing.

Maybe that's why I'm such a wimp, huh? :waitasec:

just a guess but he most likely used the shackles for the early years and then in subsequent years when he feared she was 'out of line' or something.

i hope he rots in hell.

it does seem like carl is the unofficial family spokesman doesnt it.

I would guess that the shed with the chain and mattress was the "time out" area for maintaining discipline. It doesn't look like someone actually lived there, otherwise there would have been decoration.

As far as Carl is concerned, that comment could have been sourced any time in the last 6 weeks, it doesn't mean he is being included again. He is not the family spokesperson, there is some friend of the family who is doing their PR. The comment attributed to Carl sounds like the sort of thing he was saying in the first week, so I don't think it is new.

If it is not by your choice or agreement...

Cold water only (and always), in an outdoor shower, in the winter, as your only means of cleaning yourself, is just another form of torture and deprivation.

Just think about having to have sexual relations (in this case RAPE by Garrido), and this being the only means available to clean up afterwards.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back