GUILTY Inidia - Mukesh Singh & 5 others for fatal gang rape on Delhi bus, 2012

google: Iran violent rape

Plenty of legit sources with not only citizen rape, but also systemized rape.

It's not PC to be accurate in attributing rape as a worldwide problem.

eta- rape and the shaming of victims is always more of a problem in any society where men are valued ahead of women. India definitely falls into that category, but they are hardly alone.

google Ashtiani, or 13-year-old Zhila Izadyar who was sentenced to death by stoning because her older brother raped her. Both sentences overturned after international outcry, I believe. What of those we don't hear about?

systemized rape of human rights activists in prison www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/24/i...-criminals-rape-activists-jail-_n_883949.html

In Iran women are typically tried with adultery if they are raped while married, but charged with murder if they actively protect themselves. While men can be severely punished for rape, it's often considered that the woman did something to ask for it- and the law bends in favor of rapists.
http://www.rdfi.org/index.php?optio...c-of-iran&catid=43:articlescategory&Itemid=63

gang rapes http://livewire.amnesty.org/2011/08/01/iranian-women-call-for-action-on-gang-rapes/comment-page-1/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-13777308

I could give links all day- it's a known humans rights issue in both Iran AND India.

It's also not only a crime against women.

Male-male rape is often unreported because the victim is too ashamed, or too afraid of being punished for homosexuality themselves to report the crime to authorities.

Very few nations even consider it possible for a sex worker to be raped, and many prostitutes (male and female) everywhere don't even bother reporting it, knowing they'll be blamed somehow for the crime. Even in Australia, where brothels and street workers are legal in several cities and awareness of sex workers' rights is high, raped sex workers are reluctant to report the attack to police.

I don't mean to go on about it. Just - this is such a massive problem everywhere, I think every nation needs to sit back and review how sex crimes, rapists and victims all are handled culturally, in the courts, by police and in the media.

I do happen to think death penalty for perpetrators would be a good disincentive though, especially for serial rapists (where the chance of judicial error is reduced to nil).

I could give links all day- it's a known humans rights issue in both Iran AND India.

Got any links regarding child prostitution in Iran? Brothels that specialize in children? Or the rates of infanticide? Google it and try googling India.

Laws against rape don't prevent rape. Even in "good strict Muslim countries" like Iran. Even in places where women's rights are upheld, like America. If laws and bills of rights prevented rape, a significant percentage of the crimes on this forum would never have happened at all.

Really, I was just annoyed by the vilification of India over Iran and the negative comparison made to "good strict Muslim countries", where rape happens every day, just as it does in every other nation.

But my point stands. I am not saying that rape cannot be political, or have political motives, or political ramifications or that politics doesn't play a part in attitudes toward the victims. I agree, many countries are in desperate need of revising their laws and practises regarding sex crimes.

What I am saying, though, that sex crime happens in every nation, no matter how 'enlightened' or how strict its laws - because the sickness of mind and spirit which causes one human being to want to brutalise another against their will clearly cannot be prevented by laws or political paperwork alone, unless the potential victims are subjected to substantial loss of personal freedom. With the possible exception of any culture that fosters true equality and respect among all its members.

Those six men didn't commit a political crime, or rape that poor girl because they are culturally predisposed to it. Indian men are not ALL rapists! Those men were drunk and vicious and bent on causing hurt. Like so many other rapists around the world, right now.

I think even though the laws of a nation cannot prevent crimes, they do set the tone for the people of that nation of what is acceptable and what is not. If there is an attitude of nonchalance regarding rapes of women and women are by and large devalued compared to men within the culture, then the disparity of rules set by the government sends a massive cultural message that women are somehow "less than" and therefore do not deserve the same respect and equal protection under the law.

Given the cultural acceptance of women's lower status and the overall gender disparity across different power structures (economically, health-wise, etc.), it follows that women in that nation are more prone towards being taken advantage of, whether physically, sexually, emotionally, etc.

Yeah well in Iran there are no "women only train cars" as a sad and pathetic attempt to offer sanctuary from the groping and molestation the female populace endures.

In India the disgusting behavior is accepted and NOT prosecuted, and special train cars are put in force to offer a reprieve for those females that are lucky enough to have access to one. The other females can get groped or assaulted on the trains and it isn't a problem.

I guess it is all about what culture is PC these days.

When the crime of rape means a death sentence you can bet laws DO matter.

I've been to Tokyo and there are also women-only train cars there as well due to the incidence of Japanese women being sexually groped on trains there.

Sadly in cultures where women are not seen as "equals" to men, there are higher incidence of sexual harassment/violence towards women.

Can we all just agree humans treat each other badly (very badly sometimes) regardless of their resident country. We have plenty of US rapes and murders here and it's usually considered one of the better places to live.

I agree with a previous poster that the rape itself wasn't a political action. However, the people's response is political. They are demanding action (rightly so, I think).

Too often, again my opinion only, we (US citizens) don't get worked up enough to move into the streets and demand justice. One instance I can somewhat compare to India is the Channon Christian case in Tennessee. She was gang raped and brutally (fatally) beaten to death with her boyfriend. It was barely covered in the news. I was deeply disturbed reading about it. But I never got off my couch to protest.

Got any links regarding child prostitution in Iran? Brothels that specialize in children? Or the rates of infanticide? Google it and try googling India.

The circumstances and crimes against women for each country with massive human rights violations are just different. I've been to India many times, and never felt unsafe. That's something that is afforded to me being women from a wealthy and influential country.

I just don't think this thread needs to turn into a thread about how horrible India is, that is all. It's going to do very little to help. Different problems call for different measures- saying one set is superior is just misguided. they have different skeletons in their closet- so do we for that matter.

The circumstances for each country with massive human rights violations are just different. I've been to India many times, and never felt unsafe. That's something that is afforded to me being women from a wealthy and influential country.

I just don't think this thread needs to turn into a thread about how horrible India is, that is all. It's going to do very little to help. Different problems call for different measures- saying one set is superior is just misguided.

I hope I didn't give the impression that India is a horrible country. On the contrary, I have many friends from India who speak of its splendor and beauty and its lovely people -- just as I've also experienced friendliness and tranquility in Japan and other Asian and non-Asian countries.

Human rights issues are a concern across the globe -- not just India. I think these issues are heightened in countries where gender disparities are the greatest and it is up to the natives of the country to voice their concerns to their government via protests, etc. and make sure the government hears and does something to remedy their situations.

From what I have read, the Indian Government is heeding all those voices, and seeing this girl's suffering and death as a wake up call that things must change (albeit very late, and tragically so). I don't have the article in front of me, but some good reforms and strategies have been promised.

I hope they carry through with it all.

I hope I didn't give the impression that India is a horrible country. On the contrary, I have many friends from India who speak of its splendor and beauty and its lovely people -- just as I've also experienced friendliness and tranquility in Japan and other Asian and non-Asian countries.

Human rights issues are a concern across the globe -- not just India. I think these issues are heightened in countries where gender disparities are the greatest and it is up to the natives of the country to voice their concerns to their government via protests, etc. and make sure the government hears and does something to remedy their situations.

Nope, I was referencing another poster. Sorry I didn't quote. I've agreed with your perspective completely.

Good lord this is a depressing thread.

The irony is I clicked it because I read through the titles too quickly--I thought this one was about the Christmas gang rape of the woman in Philly.

I don't really have much else to add. Bless the poor woman that died and may all rape victims all over the globe find peace and some justice.

Good news on the political front. The government of India is proposing revolutionary changes to the laws and policies related to women because of this case.

"'She has become the daughter of the entire nation," said Sushma Swaraj, a leader of the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party."

Protesters and politicians have called for tougher rape laws, major police reforms and a transformation in the way the country treats its women.

Six men have been arrested and charged with murder in the Dec. 16 attack on a New Delhi bus. They face the death penalty if convicted, police said.

There was hope her tragedy could mark a turning point for gender rights in a country where women often refuse to leave their homes at night out of fear and where sex-selective abortions and even female infanticide have wildly skewed the gender ratio."

Politicians from across the spectrum called for a special session of Parliament to pass new laws to increase punishments for rapists – including possible chemical castration – and to set up fast-track courts to deal with rape cases within 90 days.

The government has proposed creating a public database of convicted rapists to shame them, and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has set up two committees to look into what lapses led to the rape and to propose changes in the law.

The Delhi government on Monday inaugurated a new helpline – 181 – for women, though it wasn't working because of glitches.

Responding to complaints that police refuse to file cases of abuse or harassment brought by women, the city force has appointed an officer to meet with women's groups monthly and crack down on the problem, New Delhi Lt. Gov. Tejendra Khanna said.

`'We have mandated that any time any lady visits a police station with a complaint, it has to be recorded on the spot," he said.

Kumari said the Delhi police commissioner sent her a message Monday asking her group to restart police sensitivity training that it had suspended due to lack of funds.

There have also been proposals to install a quota to ensure one-third of Delhi's police are women."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...il&utm_content=NewsEntry&utm_term=Daily Brief

I don't know if it's appropriate to put a link to a petition about this case, but I received this in my email this morning:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/end_indias_war_on_women/?tCTyPdb

While we know that internet petitions are not necessarily formally recognized, perhaps we can add voices from all over the world to let the government of India know how strongly the international community feels about this horrific case.

Rest in Peace, dear lady

:rose:

WARNING : GRAPHIC

Oh god, this horrible story just got worse.

Gruesome details have emerged about the fatal gang rape of a 23-year-old woman in India last month, with a report that the youngest of the woman’s six attackers—believed to be a juvenile-- was the most brutal, according to a report in the Indian newspaper Hindustan Times.

The paper reported that a charge sheet on the case suggests the juvenile suspect assaulted the female student twice and pulled out her intestines with his bare hands. The juvenile—who Delhi police have not identified while they determine his exact age—also wanted to strip the victim naked and throw her off the moving bus.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/0...rape-reportedly-ripped-her-intestines-out-in/

Because of his age, he is the only one of the six who cannot be sentenced to death if found guilty. He will be tried in a juvenile court.

However, the maximum sentence the juvenile can receive under existing law is three years.

I hope this is not true.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/420247/20130103/delhi-gang-rape-juvenile-attacker-brutal-raped.htm

It's true. It's similar here. If a person is charged as a juvenile, the most they could keep them in custody in US is until they turn 21 or 18.
So if someone is 17 and charged as juvenile, they wouldn't be looking at a long prison term at all.
At least in US we would have an option to charge 17 year old as an adult, but in India they can only be charged as a juvenile, apparently. Which is an outrage for the type of crime this juvenile is accused of.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back